PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith has torn tricep's

BlockMonsta
10-24-2010, 04:56 PM
...that is all....

No good

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Not official, but if it is that, it isn't too serious, he'll be back in a couple weeks.

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 05:01 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers saw three of its starters go down with injuries during Sunday’s 23-22 win at Miami.
Defensive end Aaron Smith suffered a torn triceps, and according to NFL Network’s Jason LaCanfora, Smith could be done for the season. LaCanfora’s tweet: “It doesn’t look good.”
Linebacker LaMarr Woodley left the game with a hamstring injury after being hurt late in the first half. Woodley told LaCanfora that the injury is just a minor tweak and he’s “a go for next week.”
Right tackle Flozell Adams was blocking on a pass when the Dolphins' Randy Starks landed on his left ankle. Adams limped off the field and was replaced by Jonathan Scott.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-10-24/several-pittsburgh-steelers-starters-injured-in-game-at-miami#ixzz13JQ9VZ00

Steel_Bus_24
10-24-2010, 05:02 PM
please lord let it only be a couple of weeks :bowdown:

Even if its the best case scenario, we're going to have to reduce his minutes more when/if he comes back

pancake
10-24-2010, 05:03 PM
I hate losing Smith... I guess we will see what we have in Ziggy.

tony hipchest
10-24-2010, 05:05 PM
*&^%(#!!!!

that is all... :dang:

Haiku_Dirtt
10-24-2010, 05:07 PM
:bowdown:

Kanata-Steeler
I hate all these injuries, god-speed to Aaron's healing health, and Woodley's, and ....
:(

jjpro11
every time we lose Smith our run D turns to shit.. we saw it in the second half already. ****

BlockMonsta
10-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah if that's the case Ziggy we'll hopefully step up a bit

Kanata-Steeler
10-24-2010, 05:08 PM
every time we lose Smith our run D turns to shit.. we saw it in the second half already. ****

I agree.

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 05:10 PM
If he has to get surgury his season will be over. Hopefully it isn't as bad as it sounds.

harts
10-24-2010, 05:13 PM
They are good but they are just old
If Smith is done it's time to move on or at least put him as a backup next year.
Hines looked old today too after that shot over the middle
I wonder if these guys are gonna hold up for 17 weeks plus playoffs

Sorry but sometimes you just got to let them go

pancake
10-24-2010, 05:15 PM
If Smith is done it's time to move on or at least put him as a backup next year.

If he plays next year, you can't put him on the bench if he is the better player.

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I agree.

Smith missed a majority of the games in 2007 and the Steelers had a number defense that year.

bigchuck
10-24-2010, 05:17 PM
you cant put him on the bench we dont have a player near his level. hines looked old??? at what point did he look old?

jjpro11
10-24-2010, 05:17 PM

Hines looked old probably because he was playing injured after taking a low hit because the defender was too scared to hit him high (thanks Ray Anderson, you bitch).. Smith is our best defensive lineman, so what good would it do having him come off the bench if he is still on the team?

ZoneBlitzer
10-24-2010, 05:18 PM
A torn tricep sounds terrible to me yet people are saying two weeks. Isn't a torn tricep a bad thing?

Steel_Bus_24
10-24-2010, 05:21 PM
and those POS NFL suits want 18 games

jjpro11
10-24-2010, 05:22 PM
if it's torn, he's done.. and we're in deep shit.

http://www.sportsmd.com/SportsMD_Articles/id/317.aspx

Steeler4life1972
10-24-2010, 05:22 PM
I have seen reports that he is out for the season...well...its awful to have him out but this is the time for the backups to shine!!:tt02:

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 05:23 PM
A torn tricep sounds terrible to me yet people are saying two weeks. Isn't a torn tricep a bad thing?

Depends if he needs surgery or not.

Surgery = IR
Non-surgery = POSSIBLY back this season.

They're going to do tests on him on Monday, so will know then or shortly after.

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 05:27 PM

Tricep is a very big and powerful muscle on your arm. Especially on someone like Smith who has very large triceps.

It depends where he tore it and what part he tore. It could be anywhere from 2 weeks to the rest of the year with surgury. There wasn't a play that he was on the ground in extreme pain, so he probably didn't tear it off the bone or anything.
Players in the NFL who work with professional trainers know when to stop playing before the injury becomes serious, and that seems what Smith did.

BritishSteel
10-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Tricep is a very big and powerful muscle on your arm. Especially on someone like Smith who has very large triceps.

It depends where he tore it and what part he tore. It could be anywhere from 2 weeks to the rest of the year with surgury. There wasn't a play that he was on the ground in extreme pain, so he probably didn't tear it off the bone or anything.
Players in the NFL who work with professional trainers know when to stop playing before the injury becomes serious, and that seems what Smith did.

Yeah - too early to tell, but the fact that he wasn't rolling around is a good sign I guess - but as you say, a major tear and he's done for the full term.

harts
10-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Hines looked old probably because he was playing injured after taking a low hit because the defender was too scared to hit him high (thanks Ray Anderson, you bitch).. Smith is our best defensive lineman, so what good would it do having him come off the bench if he is still on the team?

Did you see him on the sideline - he looked like an old man laboring after that hit.
I love Hines to death but I am a realist
He looks old

What good is Smith if he can't hold up for only half the season or whatever.
The NFL is a young man's game and the Steelers are getting old

BlockMonsta
10-24-2010, 05:44 PM
harts, he looked like an old man? He is on the older side, he's play is not lacking though. Also he might have a torn tricep, how would you look if you had that happen?

skinart82
10-24-2010, 05:44 PM
yeah, he looked really old gettin' 131 yards! Hope he looks old all season then!

bigchuck
10-24-2010, 05:45 PM
yeah he got hit low and im sure he was in pain. the PG is reporting smith is done for the year which is to be expected from a torn triceps, this is a huge hit to our run D and even bigger to our overall D

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 05:49 PM
yeah he got hit low and im sure he was in pain. the PG is reporting smith is done for the year which is to be expected from a torn triceps, this is a huge hit to our run D and even bigger to our overall D

Yeah, still not 100% confirmed that he will be done...but it certainly sounds bleak.

Smith apparently out for season
Sunday, October 24, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith, who missed 11 games in 2009 with a torn rotator cuff, left today's game with a torn left triceps, and it appeared his season was over.
Coach Mike Tomlin revealed the extent of the injury, which occurred early in the third quarter, and said, "it is not good."
Linebacker James Farrior, the defensive captain, called the injury to Smith "devastating."
"It's heartbreaking to see a guy worked so hard to get back and have an injury like this," Farrior said. "I know he's devastated, I'm devastated and I'm sure everybody else is. To see a guy come out and just do everything right and get himself back to where he needs to be and have something like this happen is definitely frustrating."
Smith, 34, saw his 2007 season end with a torn bicep muscle in his right arm late in the year. He returned to have a Pro Bowl season in 2008.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10297/1097805-100.stm#ixzz13JcJQaNm

MACH1
10-24-2010, 05:50 PM

And last year.

wootawnee
10-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Our d line needs to get younger............I want some new meat so we can compete.....

Curtain_of_Steel
10-24-2010, 06:00 PM
If its torn he is done, just like a torn hammy needs surgery. Its a 6-9month recovery.

Typically they know before the mir as the bruising and swelling and of course the pai sort of dictates it.

Steelers need to search for some depth out there to sign and bring in. The good thing is, these super hot games should be behind us now. So at least they play in normal weather

steeltheone
10-24-2010, 06:09 PM
I agree.

Smith has been a good player for the Steelers over the years but just as i feared... to many old guys and injuries will happen more often. Smith has had 3 season ending injuries in 4 years. He makes way to much pay not to play!

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 06:16 PM
If its torn he is done, just like a torn hammy needs surgery. Its a 6-9month recovery.

Typically they know before the mir as the bruising and swelling and of course the pai sort of dictates it.

Steelers need to search for some depth out there to sign and bring in. The good thing is, these super hot games should be behind us now. So at least they play in normal weather

Farrior said Smiths injury was "devastating" and "heartbreaking." So it doesn't look like it would be good.

Reggie White tore his hamstring and still played in the superbowl and got a record 3 sacks to help the Packers win. Depends on how bad it is :P

ETL
10-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Smith may be able to come back. Too early to put him on IR. But he'll miss a ton of games.

We need younger guys like Hood to step up. That is why they drafted him #1. This NEEDS to be his time to shine.

StainlessStill
10-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Aaron Smith might be out for the season, AGAIN! That's a huge loss, something we might be able to come back from as far as our run D. That's not the kind of player to lose. Woodley injured his hamstring and Kiesel was ruled out before the game.

Smith's likely out for the season, and Keisel is banged up so we might have to see what's on the market for depth and rotation alone. Not sure if we'd go out and sign a veteran when crunching "dress" numbers.

My butthole is seriously puckered up with anger!:banging::banging::banging::banging::

Steelers17
10-24-2010, 06:36 PM

Two weeks with a 2-in front of it is much more relistic! :banging:

ricardisimo
10-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Wow. Eason and Hood will be our starting ends next game. We'll see what happens, I guess. Ziggy's not getting the luxury of the Timmons treatment.

3rdandlong
10-24-2010, 07:23 PM
If Smith can come back sometime this year, we have to use him wisely and more sparingly until the playoffs. I'd be willing to have him play less, suffer the consequences to our run-d, perhaps even lose a game or two. We all saw how our run-d turned to crap when he left the game. Ziggy or Eason is just nowhere near Smith. Let's hope he's only out for a couple of weeks, but I don't think we're going to be so lucky.

steeltheone
10-24-2010, 07:26 PM
If Smith can come back sometime this year, we have to use him wisely and more sparingly until the playoffs. I'd be willing to have him play less, suffer the consequences to our run-d, perhaps even lose a game or two. We all saw how our run-d turned to crap when he left the game. Ziggy or Eason is just nowhere near Smith. Let's hope he's only out for a couple of weeks, but I don't think we're going to be so lucky.

Way overrating him at this point in his career...

SteelCurtain5643
10-24-2010, 07:35 PM
This could be a big blow to the defense, hopefully Ziggy can step up

pete74
10-24-2010, 07:48 PM
definatly a big blow to the defense and its obvious Hood wont fill Smith's shoes even if he does get the start

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Wow. Eason and Hood will be our starting ends next game. We'll see what happens, I guess. Ziggy's not getting the luxury of the Timmons treatment.

I'm pretty sure Keisel will be back, he just had a little hamstring problem and had 2 weeks to heal.

MikeHaullace
10-24-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't feel like there is anything to worry about here.

If either Polamalu or Timmons goes down with him out, I'm going to start worrying.

ricardisimo
10-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Way overrating him at this point in his career...
We'll see if you still think that in a few weeks' time.

harts
10-24-2010, 08:04 PM
D-LINE IS too old plain and simple
the d-line is gonna remind me of those old George Allen redskin teams of the 70's with all these aging stars who played well early but didnt have enough gas to get to the finish line.

The D-line holds up the blocks for the lb's to make plays.
otherwise we gonna have 5 yard gains before RB's get hit.

last year Troy being gone killed us
this year it could be the D-line
what's up with keisel?

not panicking just sayin

BlockMonsta
10-24-2010, 08:45 PM
I might not understand your point...but yes that is the D-lines job. And Aaron Smith does very good job.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2010, 09:14 PM
wonder what kinda shape kirshkie is in ...:noidea:

steeltheone
10-24-2010, 09:54 PM
We'll see if you still think that in a few weeks' time.

If there is a problem.....it will have more to do not being able to rotate anymore due to lack of healthy bodies. The whole line minus Hood is old and rotating worked well no matter who was in. Now trying to rely on everydown playing will wear on all of them.
Plus we have to worry about Farrior too. His best days are behind him. They need to get Fox more involved.

ZoneBlitzer
10-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks Aaron Smith for years of great service. He will be sorely missed. I have to think that the lights just went out on his career.

Shea
10-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks Aaron Smith for years of great service. He will be sorely missed. I have to think that the lights just went out on his career.

No it didn't.

He'll be back next year.

Third Rail
10-24-2010, 11:00 PM
I love Smith; I hope this injury isn't as serious as people are speculating. However, if this is another season-ending injury, I think he should consider retiring. Not that I wouldn't like to see him back next year; it's just that with the injuries that he's sustained over the last few years, he could end up permanently injuring himself if he comes back.

Shea
10-24-2010, 11:24 PM
I love Smith; I hope this injury isn't as serious as people are speculating. However, if this is another season-ending injury, I think he should consider retiring. Not that I wouldn't like to see him back next year; it's just that with the injuries that he's sustained over the last few years, he could end up permanently injuring himself if he comes back.

We're talking about an arm injury not something that would prove your theory right if it was concussions and the brain affected.

C'mon guys, Aaron has been severely overlooked his whole career. Let's, as Steelers fan, not join in on how unappreciated he's been throughout his career.

This is a player that should have been taking a perennial flight over the Pacific each season to Hawaii, and I believe he's only been once. :doh:

Tonight's SNF game has a defensive lineman that is 38, so Aaron's got some years left in him.

Appreciate him, and look forward to next season when he's lining up once again on the field, as you Steelers' fan should be. :noidea:

ZoneBlitzer
10-25-2010, 12:19 AM
No it didn't.

He'll be back next year.

At 34 and with his injury history? I'd be surprised.

sharkweek
10-25-2010, 01:00 AM
luckily our next string of games is against teams struggling with the run

sharkweek
10-25-2010, 01:01 AM
At 34 and with his injury history? I'd be surprised.
Not even sure I want him back, just way too many season ending injuries in too short a span.

Acerinox
10-25-2010, 02:11 AM
I really hope we can get Smith back in time for the playoffs. Sticking him on IR would put a massive dent in our SB credentials. He is like an ogre. Really. 3 tackles yesterday - as a DE. One play was utterly magic when he stuffed the ball carrier for a loss having just thrust his guy to the ground and peeled off him. I've enjoyed watching him for so long - can't think of the D-line without him. Break out the rejuvenation creams!

Steeldude
10-25-2010, 03:08 AM

lebeau starts playing a very soft defense when starters are out. get ready to see a lot of 3-man rushes. actually, i wouldn't call them rushes. basically the D-linemen just hold their ground. brees is going to have a easy day of the lebeau doesn't attack.

steeltheone
10-25-2010, 05:59 AM
No it didn't.

He'll be back next year.

The problem is the money....I would like him back too, but at about a quarter of his current salary. That 6.3 million is needed for the younger guys.

NYC_Steeler
10-25-2010, 06:10 AM
I'd love for Aaron to be back next year, but it would have to be with a massive pay cut. He has become unreliable health-wise and it doesn't make sense to pay him all that money if he can't even make it through half the season. We need to develop a younger player at that position and hope we uncover a diamond in the pile of coal. If he wants to come back next year but at his old salary, then it's time to say goodbye, thank him, and wish him well.

plenewken
10-25-2010, 02:02 PM
lebeau starts playing a very soft defense when starters are out. get ready to see a lot of 3-man rushes. actually, i wouldn't call them rushes. basically the D-linemen just hold their ground. brees is going to have a easy day of the lebeau doesn't attack.

I agree with you. If we don't pressure the QB and give him ample time to find an open man, he'll find it and we're toast. See last year.
Soft defense rarely works for the Steelers.

OX1947
10-25-2010, 02:05 PM
This really, REALLY blows.

pete74
10-25-2010, 05:15 PM
it sucks to lose Smith but i really see Hood stepping up and playing very close to the same level. it obviously wont happen next week but i really belive he will tear it up. he is to quick and to strong not to. he had an awesome college carear and i truley think he will excel at a 3-4 end(if im wrong we better move him to NT). i heard alot of players talk about Hood being the strongest player on the team and alot of the starters on the O-line say how hard he was to block in camp. i will miss Smith because he is my favorite Steeler but truely belive we will be fine as long as Troy stays healthy

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 05:23 PM
wonder what kinda shape kirshkie is in ...:noidea:
:scratchchin: ... :idea: