PDA

View Full Version : Rate B.A. after 2 games with Ben back!

SoCalFan
10-24-2010, 04:49 PM
I like the job they have done in both games BESIDES the last 3 calls on the final drive,are you kidding,3 straight runs?:banging:The pass got us there,those calls SHOULD have cost us the game!

PhantomJB93
10-24-2010, 05:13 PM
I have actually been fairly satisfied with Arians the last 2 weeks. The only thing I dont like is the amount of RB-swapping we do, but I dont know if thats Arians or Tomlin responsible for that. The fact that Moore was in for our entire final redzone drive really disturbed me, that's where Mendy should hands-down be doing the work. I understand Mendy wasnt having a great day and that they wanted to decrease his workload but taking him out for the most crucial drive of the game and putting in a backup is just a mystery to me

MACH1
10-24-2010, 05:16 PM
B-

Can't blame him for Ben's sloppy play.

ZoneBlitzer
10-24-2010, 08:59 PM
I'd like to see more bubble screens from Arians. It's a very successful two to three yard play.

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 09:02 PM
I'd give him a B+ against the Browns and a C today.. I think the Dolphins just did a good job on defense for him to do much, but the plays at the end of the first half were stupid.

The short passes to the running backs were pretty nice though.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2010, 09:02 PM
C .... he's still doing the same dumb shit. like the empty backfield shotgun on 1st downs.

zulater
10-24-2010, 09:04 PM
B-

Can't blame him for Ben's sloppy play.

Yeah we all know how great the Arains offense plays without Ben. :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2010, 09:09 PM
http://www.smileys4msn.com/displaysmiley.php?show=4492

SteelMusic
10-24-2010, 09:14 PM
C +
I really wish we would get a "real" Offensive Coordinator. B.A. has no creativity in the run game and calls way too many bone headed plays at the wrong time.

Fire Arians
10-24-2010, 09:27 PM
to be honest he actually called a decent game. B

i liked the decision to go no huddle when we were down 6-0. the offense definitely looks more aggressive with ben back in the lineup, which i like. the offense is playing to win, which is good because the D can't win it for us every week.

StainlessStill
10-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I'd say a C-! Does anyone witness that we are still as bad in the redzone than any other bad team in the league? How many times did he call a reverse this year at a TERRIBLE time? That bubble screen to Wallace on a potential scoring drive just made my balls blue. That reverse was even worse.

I did like the sneak call on Bens fumble. I actually texted my buddy before hand and said "BOOTLEG!" so I thought that was a good one, but other than that, Arians called many questionable play-calls, again, within the worst time and worst givin area of field position.

MACH1
10-24-2010, 09:53 PM

And we all know the reverse call was all Ben's, 2 minute drill ya know and out of a time out. :chuckle:

Third Rail
10-24-2010, 10:05 PM
When Arians called throwing plays, I think he did fine... but the run game today was atrocious. I'm still not sold on Mendenhall as our star runningback and today was a perfect example of why. The Dolphins do have a solid run defense but regardless, Mendenhall looked like crap today. Whether that was a result of bad blocking or bad running I'm not sure but regardless... anyone blaming Ben for just narrowing edging out the Dolphins had better realize that Ben and the receivers were the ones who won the game today, from an offensive standpoint. They had NO running game, other than a couple of early runs by Mewelde.

Fire Arians
10-24-2010, 10:13 PM
When Arians called throwing plays, I think he did fine... but the run game today was atrocious. I'm still not sold on Mendenhall as our star runningback and today was a perfect example of why. The Dolphins do have a solid run defense but regardless, Mendenhall looked like crap today. Whether that was a result of bad blocking or bad running I'm not sure but regardless... anyone blaming Ben for just narrowing edging out the Dolphins had better realize that Ben and the receivers were the ones who won the game today, from an offensive standpoint. They had NO running game, other than a couple of early runs by Mewelde.

mendenhall was doing good until flozell adams got injured, then it all went to shit. he's probably our best run blocker, definitely saw the difference when he left the field

fer522
10-24-2010, 10:15 PM
C .... he's still doing the same dumb shit. like the empty backfield shotgun on 1st downs

enough said

Third Rail
10-24-2010, 10:19 PM
mendenhall was doing good until flozell adams got injured, then it all went to shit. he's probably our best run blocker, definitely saw the difference when he left the field

You're probably right; I didn't think about that. Flozell went out pretty early.

sharkweek
10-24-2010, 10:57 PM
he hasn't been completely terrible, but some of our best drives have been when Ben was running the no huddle which means he's calling the plays, right?...so yeah...

stb_steeler
10-24-2010, 11:08 PM
I'd like to see more bubble screens from Arians. It's a very successful two to three yard play.

It would be nice to see that more, if u notice alot of teams are doing it, especially Patriots.

SteelKnight
10-24-2010, 11:14 PM
C +
I really wish we would get a "real" Offensive Coordinator. B.A. has no creativity in the run game and calls way too many bone headed plays at the wrong time.

I agree. The end around before half was a perfect example. Using Wallace in an end around frees up 2 more defenders...the CB that was covering him and the safety that was going to help.

It was a bad call. Basically, I hate his second down calls.

He should use Wallace and Heath Miller more.

SoCalFan
10-24-2010, 11:25 PM
I agree with Steelknight,I was hoping to see Heath during the final 3 goal line plays???

3rdandlong
10-25-2010, 08:22 AM
The Steelers should run the No Huddle much more. Ben is always at his best. It works for them, and then they go away from it. I don't get it.

Sansi
10-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I found it curious that we did not go to Wallace more, I guess. He demonstrated that he was just, straight up, much much faster than Jason Allen. He may be the league's fastest player. Unlike most of the other rockets today in the NFL, he can catch the damn ball. I guess I would just like to see us go to the Wallace bomb a few more times a game.

I feel like as a unit the offense is almost there. I honestly love Mendenhall. In fact, I could not be happier with anyone else on the team. I know the running game did not look scintillating Sunday, but he is really turning into an indispensable tool and saves many busted plays with some great field awareness. So with that said, I wish our running game were more varied, that challenged our backs to grow with the offense and gave them more responsibility, because I feel like they (especially Mendenhall) can handle that.

I guess I would give Ariaans a B. He does seem to know what is working and use that, but he also does not seem quite sure what is NOT working and some really busted plays get called at times. I am always in a slight state of annoyance about our O-line, though, which really should be sorted by now.

steelcity1974
10-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Not nearly enough play action. Every other team in the NFL would have done a play action fake on that 3rd and goal and had a wide open TE for a TD. Not us, we go shotgun.

cloppbeast
10-25-2010, 03:33 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but I thought Arians should have called more passes and less runs. I love the fact that this offense is balanced, but that doesn't mean you have to run-pass 50-50 every game. Instead, you use what is working.

Yesterday, the 'Phins were geared up to stop the run, and they did a good job limiting the Steelers to 2.1 yards per rush. Miami wasn't so stellar against the pass allowing 10.7 yards per attempt. Ben had thrown 2 TDs and no interceptions. We were moving the ball much better through the air, so it only makes sense to pass more.

Overall, B.

#1LambertFan
10-25-2010, 03:40 PM
The fact of the matter is that everyone including Arians underestimated how well the Dolphins could stop the run. I am an advocate for power football so the 3 run plays did not bother me one bit. In fact I would have just handed the ball off to Mendy to work some magic at the 2 yard line. I give Arians a B+ because he didnt abandon the run and thats what gave us our big plays that won us the game. I hated Arians for a long time but I found the real reason for my hatred for him was Zeirlan, but now that he is gone we have a very potent offense. I'm satisfied with keeping Arians now that we are getting a much better push even with our our starting RG and RT out of the game.

Steeler4life1972
10-25-2010, 05:58 PM
BA still does not try and keep teams guessing...he empties out the backfield....well obviously its a pass. I think if we could use the shotgun with 1 and Im thinking even better use 2 backs fake the handoff more in the shotgun I think we could definitely thrive on that with big plays....BA to me will at least lose us 2-3 games a year with just awful play calling....I hate being too predictable. Awful play calling keeps our offense out of sync with no rhythm.

lionslicer
10-25-2010, 06:04 PM
BA still does not try and keep teams guessing...he empties out the backfield....well obviously its a pass. I think if we could use the shotgun with 1 and Im thinking even better use 2 backs fake the handoff more in the shotgun I think we could definitely thrive on that with big plays....BA to me will at least lose us 2-3 games a year with just awful play calling....I hate being too predictable. Awful play calling keeps our offense out of sync with no rhythm.

Has anyone ever noticed even though there's no running back in the backfield that wide recievers are still open, or Ben completes the pass anyways?

The empty backfield has 5 recievers running around the field, that will usually make zone defenses go mad and leave atleast 2 recievers wide open. And there's no way any man defense could stay on 5 recievers. They would have to forfeit a linebacker or defensive linemen, giving Ben 5+ seconds to throw, and if you let recievers run around enough, they will get open.

Its something everyone see's as stupid because it eliminates the chess game but it takes advantage of defenses.

This is actually something I agree with Arians with. And people get mad if he does it on like 1st down... You get mad that he never mixes it up, comming out with 5 recievers on 1st down will confuse the crap out of a defense. Though he does use it in bad situations, like when the other team is blitzing and there's no one to help protect Ben. He's still a bad OC, but he isn't the worst...

Steeler4life1972
10-25-2010, 06:21 PM
The way I look at it is several reasons...2 backs in the backfield can block or receive....fake the run it pulls the safeties up(even a corner maybe)...wallace with his speed in my opinion would be wide open more times than not and not to mention your backs can block and then pull out in the flat...so imo I think the 2 back shotgun would create more oppurtunities downfield. The colts use this quite frequently and to be quite honest I think that is why manning has so much success...just my opinion though.

HAWK
10-26-2010, 11:08 AM
I was alright with BA's calling...except for having BR run it in at the end. Of course if it had worked nobody would complain. But still, the risk of injury is to great even with the new pansy rules.

tony hipchest
10-26-2010, 11:24 AM
ive been very satisfied w/ BA this season with exception of not scoring before halftime in miami.

theplatypus
10-26-2010, 11:36 AM
ive been very satisfied w/ BA this season with exception of not scoring before halftime in miami.

Overall what we've seen has been very good with very few exceptions.