PDA

View Full Version : SWISS CHEESE

wootawnee
10-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Is what our secondary has been looking like lately.................Where was Troy today?....Bmac?.........Marshal is a beast........But still Ike............Good tackle on that last 3rd down Gay..............Way to put it away on that last drive though D............Let's get better next week.....

tony hipchest
10-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Merchant
10-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Honestly, I complain about the secondary all the time.. but looking at the rest of the league.. who is legitimately better? Baltimore gave up 374 yards passing to RYAN FITZPATRICK. A lot of it comes from the pass rush too.. Henne had ALL DAY to throw most of the game, so the receivers can only be covered for so long. Plus no-one believes they can run it against us, so the stats are a bit deceiving I think when our defense is facing 25% more passes than most of the others.

MACH1
10-24-2010, 05:17 PM
And to just think we have Brees next.
Also without Smith.

jjpro11
10-24-2010, 05:17 PM
the secondary did pretty good today considering we had virtually NO PASS RUSH. yeah, i know Woodley, Smith, and Keisel are important parts to the pass rush.. but nevettheless, the secondary still didn't do bad at all. Marshall was contained very well. you take 5 for 57 any time you can against Marshall. Henne spread the ball around, so it's not like one other guy killed us either.

SoCalFan
10-24-2010, 05:46 PM
I agree with jjpro11,NO PASS RUSH,I could have foung someone open back there.I think the heat/humidity played a big role today!

Steel_Bus_24
10-24-2010, 05:49 PM
man not only is our pass defense going to be leaky....now our run D is going to get gashed.....I fully expect to give up 80-120 yards a game now

Our only hope is for Troy to stay healthy and we keep getting turnovers

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2010, 06:38 PM
thank god for bmac ... otherwise they might be as bad as last year...:thumbsup:

seriously though ... as others have said , the pass rush has been a non factor. lebeau better break out his napkins that he draws his blitzes up on.

WickedSteel
10-24-2010, 08:11 PM
538 yards over the past two games to McCoy and Henne! NO pass rush to speak of whatsoever. Now with Woodley, Smith and Keisel out, the run D is severely damaged too. Now the Steelers face the Saints, Bengals and Pats in consecutive weeks.....ouch. If they can't get anymore of a pass rush than what they have recently, Brees, Palmer and Brady will eat them alive. The horrible play of the secondary has been masked for years by the effectiveness of the pass rush putting pressure on QBs. Now with little pressure put on QBs over the past two weeks, you can see how pathetic the secondary is. This has been the downfall of the Steelers D for years and yet they refuse to draft a quality corner or pick up a FA.

This is fast becoming a pass first league and the Steelers had better adapt. They need to have corners that can be trusted to be left on an island when need be. Take a look at the QBs that they face the rest of the season: Brees, Palmer twice, Brady, Flacco again, Sanchez. Look at the recievers: Colston, Moore, Meachem, T.O., Ocho, Shipely, Branch, Welker, Edwards, Holmes, Boldin, Houshmanzadeh, Mason, S.Smith, Evans, etc. This secondary is going to be put under alot of pressure with this lineup. Either the D must step up or the offense must step up and score more than 23 points a game. Where has Troy been lately? The offense shut down in the second half today. Wallace makes one huge catch and then disappears. Mendy was shut down by a mediocre run D. Adams was injured today to add to the O-line woes. Ben was pressured alot today and his fumble showed that.

I know that the Steelers are 5-1 and sitting pretty, but it only gets tougher from here and they need to improve EVERYWHERE.

ZoneBlitzer
10-24-2010, 08:51 PM
538 yards over the past two games to McCoy and Henne! NO pass rush to speak of whatsoever. Now with Woodley, Smith and Keisel out, the run D is severely damaged too. Now the Steelers face the Saints, Bengals and Pats in consecutive weeks.....ouch. If they can't get anymore of a pass rush than what they have recently, Brees, Palmer and Brady will eat them alive. The horrible play of the secondary has been masked for years by the effectiveness of the pass rush putting pressure on QBs. Now with little pressure put on QBs over the past two weeks, you can see how pathetic the secondary is. This has been the downfall of the Steelers D for years and yet they refuse to draft a quality corner or pick up a FA.

This is fast becoming a pass first league and the Steelers had better adapt. They need to have corners that can be trusted to be left on an island when need be. Take a look at the QBs that they face the rest of the season: Brees, Palmer twice, Brady, Flacco again, Sanchez. Look at the recievers: Colston, Moore, Meachem, T.O., Ocho, Shipely, Branch, Welker, Edwards, Holmes, Boldin, Houshmanzadeh, Mason, S.Smith, Evans, etc. This secondary is going to be put under alot of pressure with this lineup. Either the D must step up or the offense must step up and score more than 23 points a game. Where has Troy been lately? The offense shut down in the second half today. Wallace makes one huge catch and then disappears. Mendy was shut down by a mediocre run D. Adams was injured today to add to the O-line woes. Ben was pressured alot today and his fumble showed that.

I know that the Steelers are 5-1 and sitting pretty, but it only gets tougher from here and they need to improve EVERYWHERE.

Good post. I think it is worthy of its own thread. Now that the Browns embarrassed the Saints, I think the Steelers will be in very tough against them next week. The offense is going to have to carry this team as I think the defensive production is going to drop off significantly.

Fire Arians
10-24-2010, 09:10 PM
they stopped the dolphins when it mattered most, so i can't complain too much. lack of pass rush was concerning, and the fact that they could run the ball on us at will when we lost aaron smith

WickedSteel
10-24-2010, 09:48 PM
I realize that the passing numbers against are a bit misleading because of the D letting up in the Browns game but the fact remains that they are getting burned fairly regularly. The D that showed up in the first 3 games has faded away. Troy has disappeared. The blitzes aren't working very well.

The Steelers have a good LB core. Their O-line is good, not great. They have a franchise QB. Receiving core is good. RBs are good. I pray that in this next draft that they try to pounce on a quality corner or two. This has been the D's downfall for years and the brass refuses to do anything about it.

Now the Steelers roll into New Orleans who has been running the ball very well lately without Smith, Keisel and Woodley. That means that their run stoppers and pass rushers are banged up and they are going against a team that can run and throw the ball well. Next weekend is going to be the test that proves whether or not the Steelers are SB contenders or not. Both the D and the offense had better bring their A game.

SteelKnight
10-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Ike did an awesome job shutting down Brandon marshal. he is good. They should let him play 1 v 1 more often like he did in '08. I forgot Marshal was playing. Zone defense is not for every CB and it seems to be sucking now. Gay also plays better man. It is who we are but Lebeau should mix it up sometimes. People keep ignoring that we are the 24th ranked pass defense.

I have to say it comes down to the pass rush. Our guys keep getting close with no sacks.

Lady Steel
10-25-2010, 03:04 PM

:rofl:

Tony, it wouldn't let me quote your signature pic, but that was damn funny.