PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin is a Terrible Gameday Coach

3rdandlong
10-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Tomline has a knack for making terrible decisions during the game. For instance, when Ben got sacked with a few seconds left in the first half, he didn't have the presence of mind to call a timeout and try a field goal. The man has been studying football most of his life. If he can't make the obviously right call there, I don't know that he should be in the NFL. Tomlin also needs to take over the playcalling on offense at critical junctures because Arians seems to have no clue what he's doing

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 06:35 PM
He did force Miami to use all 3 of times time outs in the final 3 minutes of the game... That was good lol...
Arians lost the team like 10 yards on that stupid reverse, Ben lost the team another 5 yards on the sack, they would need a hell marry to do anything, it was best really to let the half end. Ben would have gotten sacked if they did anytthing anyways, 2 players in a row the dolphins were inthe backfield before they knew what hit them.

Big D
10-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Tomline has a knack for making terrible decisions during the game. For instance, when Ben got sacked with a few seconds left in the first half, he didn't have the presence of mind to call a timeout and try a field goal. The man has been studying football most of his life. If he can't make the obviously right call there, I don't know that he should be in the NFL. Tomlin also needs to take over the playcalling on offense at critical junctures because Arians seems to have no clue what he's doing

your kidding me right? he's such a terrible gameday coach he has won us a superbowl and has a 35-18 record. ask cowboy fans about "gameday coaches"

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 06:42 PM
your kidding me right? he's such a terrible gameday coach he has won us a superbowl and has a 35-18 record. ask cowboy fans about "gameday coaches"

Shhh....don't confuse people with logic now. :chuckle:

He obviously needs fired cause he sucks.

This thread blows. Didn't we just win a game and go to 5-1?

Big D
10-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Shhh....don't confuse people with logic now. :chuckle:

He obviously needs fired cause he sucks.

This thread blows. Didn't we just win a game and go to 5-1?
and the fact we went 3-1 with our 3rd and 4th string qbs. cheese and rice tomlins a stiff. why can't we get a real coach like mike singletary.

MikeHaullace
10-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Just a coy attempt of being controversial.

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 06:54 PM
and the fact we went 3-1 with our 3rd and 4th string qbs. cheese and rice tomlins a stiff. why can't we get a real coach like mike singletary.

I'm still waiting with baited breath for Norv Turner, Mike Nolan or Herm Edwards to come coach the Steelers.

Big D
10-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm still waiting with baited breath for Norv Turner, Mike Nolan or Herm Edwards to come coach the Steelers.

i would love to have kevin gilbride or sherm lewis make a return.... have one of them take over for tomlin

zulater
10-24-2010, 06:59 PM
I like Tomlin but I still hated the decision to kick the field goal on 4th and goal at the end of the game. Had the fg given us a 3 point lead I'm ok with it, but to give up the ball with just over 2 minutes left and where a field goal beat you, sorry but I hate that call. :doh:

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 07:02 PM
I like Tomlin but I still hated the decision to kick the field goal on 4th and goal at the end of the game. Had the fg given us a 3 point lead I'm ok with it, but to give up the ball with just over 2 minutes left and where a field goal beat you, sorry but I hate that call. :doh:

That was a bad call. But other people on this board see other wise.

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 07:04 PM
i would love to have kevin gilbride or sherm lewis make a return.... have one of them take over for tomlin

Can't we just get Al Davis in here and end this whole charade?

zulater
10-24-2010, 07:05 PM

Oh well, then we'll just have to respectfully disagree with them. :wink02: Just because it worked out in the end doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. :noidea:

Steelers17

If Chad did not swallow his Henne and go 4 and out, your point would be painfully potentially made!

Big D

you go for it and get stuffed you lose the game. I guess I would rather win by one then lose. but what do i know

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 07:06 PM

That's cause it was the right call...you people are just incurably insane. :chuckle:

I can't emphasize enough that if they didn't get the TD there would be people with torches and pitchforks at Tomlin's house right now.

And yes, was it possible for Miami to march down the field and get a TD or FG? Of course it was...but you don't put your team in a position to lose, you rely on the D and ALWAYS take the points in that situation. Otherwise you have no business coaching an NFL team.

theplatypus
10-24-2010, 07:06 PM

Taking the points and the lead was and always will be the smart play. If they hadn't made the td(fumble,stopped, whatever) the odds of getting the ball back are very slim with enough time to do anything are very slim.

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 07:08 PM
That's cause it was the right call...you people are just incurably insane. :chuckle:

I can't emphasize enough that if they didn't get the TD there would be people with torches and pitchforks at Tomlin's house right now.

Well Bill Bellichick lost in the playoffs going for it on 4th down.. and almost lost a game today doing the same thing.

So you might be right about it being insane, but if the D didn't stop miami, like they had a hard time doing all day, then Tomlin would have been hung.

(Yeah hung isn't a word, but hanged stounds stupid)

Fire Arians
10-24-2010, 07:08 PM

herm edwards plays to win the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLlIdZikDk

Steel_Bus_24
10-24-2010, 07:11 PM
you know I wasn't totally against qb sneaking it on 4th down...........if the ball was spotted practically on the goal line..........but it looked like it was spotted a half yard back

so good decision

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 07:12 PM

:toofunny:

Herm would have gone for it. :sofunny:

Big D
you know I wasn't totally against qb sneaking it on 4th down...........if the ball was spotted practically on the goal line..........but it looked like it was spotted a half yard back

so good decision

that call more then likely came from bruce arians. Which by the way was by all means a piss poor call. I dont know why we didn't go with a redman dive.

lionslicer

Herm Edwards' mentor was Dick Vermeil, who won a lot of games by going for 2 instead of kicking the extra point to tie the game.

zulater

If they didn't get the TD the Dolphins take possession deep in their own territory (likely the 1foot line) with about 2.40 to play and with the Steelers having 3 time outs and the 2 minute warning in their back pocket.

Sort of like what the Ravens did to us just a few weeks before, correct?

So if you can't punch it in ( which you should) you still have a great chance to win the game if you can stop the Dolphins from making a first down with them guarding against the potential disaster that operating in the shadow of their own goal post presents.

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Well Bill Bellichick lost in the playoffs going for it on 4th down.. and almost lost a game today doing the same thing.

So you might be right about it being insane, but if the D didn't stop miami, like they had a hard time doing all day, then Tomlin would have been hung.

(Yeah hung isn't a word, but hanged stounds stupid)

Well...anyone who would have been pissed about him taking the points and relying on the D to get a stop are wrong. You get pissed at the D at that point for not doing the job they are paid to do, not the coach for giving the team the best shot at winning.

Big D
10-24-2010, 07:15 PM
If they didn't get the TD the Dolphins take possession deep in their own territory (likely the 1foot line) with about 2.40 to play and with the Steelers having 3 time outs and the 2 minute warning in their back pocket.

So if you can't punch it in ( which you should) you still have a great chance to win the game if you can stop the Dolphins from making a first down with them guarding against the potential disaster that operating in the shadow of their own goal post presents.

steelers were a different team in the second half. we had a hard time moving the ball and stopping the ball. it was a good call that won us the game

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Well...anyone who would have been pissed about him taking the points and relying on the D to get a stop are wrong. You get pissed at the D at that point for not doing the job they are paid to do, not the coach for giving the team the best shot at winning.

But if you are a coach, taking what is going on in the game, a field goal is pretty much illogical at that point.

Big D
10-24-2010, 07:16 PM
But if you are a coach, taking what is going on in the game, a field goal is pretty much illogical at that point.

how in the hell do you figure?

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 07:17 PM

So if you can't punch it in ( which you should) you still have a great chance to win the game if you can stop the Dolphins from making a first down while having to guard against the potential disaster operating in the shadow of their own goal post.

Still think it would be an insane and boneheaded play. That's why only coaches as nutty as Bellicheck do that kind of crap.

You're talking about the what ifs of the other teams play at the end of a game where your down by 2. If they were down by 6 or 7 that late in the game...yes you always go for the TD, but not when your down by 2 and the other team has no timeouts. That's just insanity.

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 07:18 PM
how in the hell do you figure?

The D was letting the Fins walk all over them for field goals. They only needed to get to about the 35-40 yard line to win. Special teams haven't been a strong point for the Steelers, so its a give the Fins start around the 35. Thats only about 30 yards they have to travel to win the game. For how bad the defense was today, logically only being up by 1 point wasn't going to win the game. And if you didn't get it, you had a better chance of getting a saftey and tying the game than stopping the Fins offense from getting a field goal.

Big D
10-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Still think it would be an insane and boneheaded play. That's why only coaches as nutty as Bellicheck do that kind of crap.

You're talking about the what ifs of the other teams play at the end of a game where your down by 2. If they were down by 6 or 7 that late in the game...yes you always go for the TD, but not when your down by 2 and the other team has no timeouts. That's just insanity.

plus having woodley and aaron smith out of the game. 3/4ths of the defensive line is hurt. Steeler fans are the most spoiled fan base in the nfl. This kind of rational is unbelievable

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Herm Edwards' mentor was Dick Vermeil, who won a lot of games by going for 2 instead of kicking the extra point to tie the game.

Lol...what's your point?

Maybe that's why Herm only had a .422 winning % as a head coach? By following boneheaded examples like that?

P.S. Dick had a few decent seasons as head coach...but he had a lot of really bad ones too. Maybe making silly calls like that lost him a lot of games as well. :noidea:

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 07:23 PM
plus having woodley and aaron smith out of the game. 3/4ths of the defensive line is hurt. Steeler fans are the most spoiled fan base in the nfl. This kind of rational is unbelievable

So with 2 of the key players on defense out, its better to have the opposing team start at their 35 only down by 1 than be up by 5 or even be down by 2 and have them stuff at their 1 inch line and have more chance of getting a saftey or forcing a punt with all 3 of your timeouts.

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Lol...what's your point?

Maybe that's why Herm only had a .422 winning % as a head coach? By following boneheaded examples like that?

P.S. Dick had a few decent seasons as head coach...but he had a lot of really bad ones too. Maybe making silly calls like that lost him a lot of games as well. :noidea:

I was just pointing that out... I never said either of them were good coaches.

You people assume really insane things sometimes

Big D
10-24-2010, 07:25 PM
So with 2 of the key players on defense out, its better to have the opposing team start at their 35 only down by 1 than be up by 5 or even be down by 2 and have them stuff at their 1 inch line and have more chance of getting a saftey or forcing a punt with all 3 of your timeouts.

i dont even know why i'm putting in this arguement with you. did we win the game? yes so what the hell is your point? is it really necessary to knit pick this like that?

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 07:28 PM
i dont even know why i'm putting in this arguement with you. did we win the game? yes so what the hell is your point? is it really necessary to knit pick this like that?

So you are totally just shutting down the arguement? You started it! I'm just supplying facts to why logically going for the touchdown would have been more logical. I know who won and why the field goal was a good choice.

You could just ****ing say "yea fine that would be fine too" But noooooooo **** you Lion, no one likes you

Big D
10-24-2010, 07:31 PM
So you are totally just shutting down the arguement? You started it! I'm just supplying facts to why logically going for the touchdown would have been more logical. I know who won and why the field goal was a good choice.

You could just ****ing say "yea fine that would be fine too" But noooooooo **** you Lion, no one likes you

lol

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2010, 07:36 PM
so you complain that he makes bad decisions , but yet you think he should make MORE decisions ...:hunch:

3rdandlong
10-24-2010, 07:37 PM
I put up this post like an hour ago and it already has 4 pages of response! Never thought it would get this much traffic. My point is is that Tomlin's head must have been completely out of the game not to call that timeout and attempt a fiedl goal.

3rdandlong
10-24-2010, 07:41 PM
so you complain that he makes bad decisions , but yet you think he should make MORE decisions ...:hunch:

Point well taken. As far as playcalling on offense goes, I think that almost anyone would be better than Bruce Arians. My beef with Tomlin is that he can get too conservative. What I'm trying to say is that I think he should call the plays I want him to call.

Big D
10-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Point well taken. As far as playcalling on offense goes, I think that almost anyone would be better than Bruce Arians. My beef with Tomlin is that he can get too conservative. What I'm trying to say is that I think he should call the plays I want him to call.

i'm sure he will keep you in mind next week

WickedSteel
10-24-2010, 07:43 PM
I think the bigger issue at this point is how poorly the D (especially the secondary) has played over the past two weeks. They have been getting very little pressure on QBs and giving them a TON of time to find open receivers. Harrison and Woodley have been invisible as has Troy. Now Smith, Keisel and Lamar are injured and our secondary has been lit up to the tune of 538 yards over the past two games.

Instead of Tomlin worrying about some fans wondering if he did the "right thing", he should be figuring why the D is getting burned by QBs like McCoy and Henne. Remember, in the next three weeks, the Steelers face Brees, Palmer and Brady. He better figure out how to put more pressure on the QB if the secondary is going to continue to leave receivers uncovered.

desertsteel
10-24-2010, 07:54 PM

You're a MORON.

theplatypus
10-24-2010, 08:16 PM

You have a better chance too win by taking the points.

zulater
10-24-2010, 08:33 PM
You have a better chance too win by taking the points.

We've lost a few playing to a similair script the past couple seasons as well.

Three weeks ago the Ravens went for it, failed, held us to a 3 and out, then scored the winning td.

I know if I'm on the other end of the script and Miami kicks the field goal I'm happy to take my chances to get into fg range with 2 minutes and change left to play.

theplatypus
10-24-2010, 08:54 PM
We've lost a few playing to a similair script the past couple seasons as well.

Three weeks ago the Ravens went for it, failed, held us to a 3 and out, then scored the winning td.

I know if I'm on the other end of the script and Miami kicks the field goal I'm happy to take my chances to get into fg range with 2 minutes and change left to play.

Is there anyone inside that head of yours? Baltimore was down by 4, we were down by 2. Taking the lead and the win is the right play.

zulater
10-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Is there anyone inside that head of yours? Baltimore was down by 4, we were down by 2. Taking the lead and the win is the right play.

If you can't see where this is a debatable point you're the moron here. :coffee: Taking the win, lol, yeah unless they drive the field down inside our 33 yard line and kick the game winner without enough time on the clock to reciprocate.

The fact is by kicking the field goal and foregoing an opportunity to take a 5 point lead from the one foot line you essentially take the game out of the hands of your offense.

We lost more than one game that way last season.

jjpro11
10-24-2010, 09:18 PM
If you can't see where this is a debatable point you're the moron here. :coffee: Taking the win, lol, yeah unless they drive the field down inside our 33 yard line and kick the game winner without enough time on the clock to reciprocate.

The fact is by kicking the field goal and foregoing an opportunity to take a 5 point lead from the one foot line you essentially take the game out of the hands of your offense.

no, even thinking about going for it on 4th down would make you a moron. passing up the chip shot go ahead score with under 3 minutes left is asinine. not to mention our running game was nowhere to be seen today. besides, just what kind of message would Tomlin be sending to Lebeau and the defense if he goes for it? can you imagine the amount of tension in that locker-room if we went for it and got stuffed. good God.. that's just a position you don't risk putting your team in.

zulater
10-24-2010, 09:42 PM
no, even thinking about going for it on 4th down would make you a moron. passing up the chip shot go ahead score with under 3 minutes left is asinine. not to mention our running game was nowhere to be seen today. besides, just what kind of message would Tomlin be sending to Lebeau and the defense if he goes for it? can you imagine the amount of tension in that locker-room if we went for it and got stuffed. good God.. that's just a position you don't risk putting your team in.

That's your opinion. Our defense was depleted, anyone who tells you they had complete confidence that we'd close that game out successfully is either a moron or a liar.

And what are you telling your offense if you don't think they can put the ball in from 1 foot out?

Look it worked, I'm happy. But it was no slam dunk. It made sense to go for the jugglar and try to score the TD as well.

steelerohio
10-24-2010, 10:01 PM
um... who cares? game over... we won... moving on... :coffee:

fer522
10-24-2010, 10:36 PM
so you mean to tell me that if he was coaching the bills they would have won that superbowl and not the steelers, so i guess he's that good of a coach and the players have nothing to do with the outcome of the game,
you could have won us that title with the D we had and the guy calling the plays on D.

go steelers

3rdandlong
10-24-2010, 10:41 PM
You're a MORON.

Why exactly am I a moron?

figg
10-24-2010, 11:10 PM
He admitted in the post game press conf he should've used a timeout in that spot.
That was a mistake but overall I think the Steelers are pretty lucky to have him as the Head Coach. As time goes on I think he'll get better at that. Cowher wasnt so good at it when he first started.

ricardisimo
10-24-2010, 11:23 PM
If what you're saying is we can't stop them, then why would it matter where they start? The D would still have to do its job either way. Do we want to give the D a lead to hold onto, or a deficit to hang over them? I don't get your logic. You take the points, and you take the lead... what am I missing?

stb_steeler
10-24-2010, 11:24 PM
I think the bigger issue at this point is how poorly the D (especially the secondary) has played over the past two weeks. They have been getting very little pressure on QBs and giving them a TON of time to find open receivers. Harrison and Woodley have been invisible as has Troy. Now Smith, Keisel and Lamar are injured and our secondary has been lit up to the tune of 538 yards over the past two games.

Instead of Tomlin worrying about some fans wondering if he did the "right thing", he should be figuring why the D is getting burned by QBs like McCoy and Henne. Remember, in the next three weeks, the Steelers face Brees, Palmer and Brady. He better figure out how to put more pressure on the QB if the secondary is going to continue to leave receivers uncovered.

Best point made in this thread hands down.......Steelers letting rookies look like Vets and no pressure.....Some where down the line the :idea: some one should figure it out.

ricardisimo
10-24-2010, 11:26 PM

But just like I asked the other guy, if we can't stop them, we can't stop them... what difference does it make where they start?

ricardisimo
10-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Best point made in this thread hands down.......Steelers letting rookies look like Vets and no pressure.....Some where down the line the :idea: some one should figure it out.
This is a familiar story by now, and I'm almost not worried about it. We've been making nobody QBs look like All Pros for the past few years, while completely stymieing the Bradys and Mannings of the league. :noidea:

stb_steeler
10-24-2010, 11:33 PM
This is a familiar story by now, and I'm almost not worried about it. We've been making nobody QBs look like All Pros for the past few years, while completely stymieing the Bradys and Mannings of the league. :noidea:

yeah it is a familiar thing, but it keeps the D out on the field longer than usual. In the past the our OL keep the plays going so the D had longer rest periods.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-25-2010, 01:28 AM
3rd and long? Totally ASININE assertion. Sorry.

Oh! By the way McCoy just beat the Super Bowl Champs. Steelers opponents are 24-16. Ergo we have racked up 'quality wins' that would be the envy in Dallas. Would you feel better about Tomlin if he lost to Cleveland and Arizona? Hence the Saints. Tennessee lost to Denver. And the Colts?

Not only does Tomlin have his finger on the pulse he has his players beating to the same pulse. Do you think Tomlin's game plan included two 1st quarter gift wraps courtesy of the first kickoff and Ben's brain lock?

We should have lost this game in the first 5 minutes. Yeah! Terrible game day coach indeed.

Steeldude
10-25-2010, 02:10 AM

so you don't think he should be in football, but you want him to call the plays in critical junctures? :doh:

Acerinox
10-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Two points.

1. I believe it was right to kick the FG. Sure, you give them a shot from the 35. But if you go for it and fail, you are in a much worse position. OK they are backed up. But they don't need anything apart from 1 maybe 2 first downs. And even if they don't get it - their punter can smash it 66 yards like he did the previous time, and then WE have to get back 30/35 yards and score with the time left to us. A much trickier proposition.
Argument: If we can't hold them to maximum 1 first down in either scenario we are probably screwed. But MORE screwed if we don't get the points on the board.

2. McCoy has just duffed up NO and Henne has proved himself admirably in Miami, so I wouldn't say either of them were scrubs. The sky is not falling just because we are giving up a crapload of passing yards. We FORCE teams to pass. That is how we play. And we also play bend don't break which can give up a bunch of yards without scores. Bottom line: look at TDs vs FGs, and that shows we're doing fine. Better than fine.

DanRooney
10-25-2010, 02:56 AM
Tomlin makes dumb decisions all the time. His record is mostly due to him being handed a franchise QB, the best safety and the best defensive coordinator in the game.

He does make very stubborn moves. Some are incomprehensible (ex. not firing Arians yet). My real problem with him is he has no balls. It's taken injuries to sit players in favor of younger talent (Mendenhall, Wallace, Pouncey, Legursky, etc.). When will both Sanders and Brown get to dress together to see the field at the same time? Is Battle's 2 tackles in 5 games that worthy over keeping a guy with Brown's swagger on the sideline? Fair catch Randle El needs to be removed from PR duties.

BlackAndGold4Ever
10-25-2010, 08:49 AM
3rd and long? Totally ASININE assertion. Sorry.

Oh! By the way McCoy just beat the Super Bowl Champs. Steelers opponents are 24-16. Ergo we have racked up 'quality wins' that would be the envy in Dallas. Would you feel better about Tomlin if he lost to Cleveland and Arizona? Hence the Saints. Tennessee lost to Denver. And the Colts?

Not only does Tomlin have his finger on the pulse he has his players beating to the same pulse. Do you think Tomlin's game plan included two 1st quarter gift wraps courtesy of the first kickoff and Ben's brain lock?

We should have lost this game in the first 5 minutes. Yeah! Terrible game day coach indeed.

Hit the nail on the head man. I cant believe we're having this discussion. In case some of you were not paying attention WE'RE 5-1 :tt04:

Curtain_of_Steel
10-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Yea he sucks, lol

Phillips will be available soon, lets bring him in. At least when the ronneys say run more that nit wit will just follow orders and run run run Forest.

BA called a stupid reverse and Tomlin is supposed to micromanage every call, that is what lebeau and BA gets paid for. One would have to think it will be addressed to not call such a stupid play when we are in FG range and need points.

theplatypus
10-25-2010, 11:08 AM

You don't think our defense is capable of stopping them from driving 60yards, but that same defense is capable of forcing a 3 and out if we don't score? :rofl: You might want to look in the mirror before you start calling people names.:coffee:

zulater
10-25-2010, 06:09 PM
You don't think our defense is capable of stopping them from driving 60yards, but that same defense is capable of forcing a 3 and out if we don't score? :rofl: You might want to look in the mirror before you start calling people names.:coffee:

Who called who a name first here?

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/10/what-about-steelers-should-they-have.html

Tomlin should have gone for the 4th and less than 1

The Steelers had a 79% chance at winning had they gone for the 4th and a half yard near the end of the game. This takes into account even if the Steelers donít make the TD on the next play. The Steelers only had a 69% chance of winning when they kicked the field goal with 2 plus minutes to go.

:coffee:

theplatypus
10-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Who called who a name first here?

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/10/what-about-steelers-should-they-have.html

Tomlin should have gone for the 4th and less than 1

The Steelers had a 79% chance at winning had they gone for the 4th and a half yard near the end of the game. This takes into account even if the Steelers don’t make the TD on the next play. The Steelers only had a 69% chance of winning when they kicked the field goal with 2 plus minutes to go.

Taken directly from your link
In this case, kicking the FG is the percentage play, but it's very close. The break-even probability of success is 72%, not far off from the baseline of 68%.

In case you forgot kicking the field goal equated to the ultimate goal, a win.

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
:coffee:

Someone got caught cheating... How's the coffee? :coffee:

theplatypus
10-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Someone got caught cheating... How's the coffee? :coffee:

huh?

zulater
10-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Taken directly from your link

In this case yeah it did. Thankfully. And overall the numbers are close, I'm not claiming Tomlin made a terrible indefensible decision ( like going for a 2 point conversion after a holding call :chuckle:) but those of you that say that a sensible argument couldn't have been made for going for the TD there are just plain wrong.

:coffee: coffee's fine ric. :wink02:

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 06:36 PM
huh?
Never mind. Zu got it. I'm switching to tea, for just this very reason.

zulater
10-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Never mind. Zu got it. I'm switching to tea, for just this very reason.

:toofunny:

lionslicer
10-25-2010, 06:44 PM
If what you're saying is we can't stop them, then why would it matter where they start? The D would still have to do its job either way. Do we want to give the D a lead to hold onto, or a deficit to hang over them? I don't get your logic. You take the points, and you take the lead... what am I missing?

No team would risk passing from the half yard line, nor would they pass over 5 yards. Teams can defend against this pretty well. Logically if the Fins had 30 yards to go for a field goal, they could do that, since the D was letting them past the 40 all day, only stopping them once they near the redzone.

From the half footline, they'd have to run, even a play-fake isn't smart, because the run wasn't getting anywhere, players would be in the backfield quick, and a sack was very likely. So ona normal pass play, the risk of a sack is very great. And a run play, saftey is pretty good, even if they get 3 positive runs, it wouldn't be a first down, and to punt from anywhere inside the 5 yard line is harzardous. If gives recieving team an easier route to the punter to block it.

Dolphins might actually get a saftey on purpose to give them a better chance at stopping the Steelers at their own 40, than risk stopping them from the Fins 40 or closer if they punted the ball.

Odds are greatly infavor of going for the touchdown and the team would still come out with a win, or overtime.

I don't know how anyone could trust the defense after the way they were giving up big plassing plays and field goals like they were. Especially when they only have to travel 30 yards, which is really only 2-3 average pass completions. Steelers are lucky to have gotten the fumble back, but they are lucky to even win with a 1 point lead. If anything, if Woodley was in the game, his back up wouldn't have forced that fumble/incomplete pass/interception and the game could have been lost.

rich4eagle
10-25-2010, 09:08 PM

I completely agree, Mike Tomlin is vastly overrated and makes awful game day decisions. The talent on the team has overcome Tomlin too many times:tt04:

I can name numerous game day blunders by him regular especially going into prevent defense to lose. :tt03:

and the right call on fourth and inches was a QB sneak................to get the TD........they were lucky to win

SteelCityMom
10-25-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm so glad some of the posters here aren't coaches or in the Steelers FO. This team would be so screwed.

tony hipchest
10-25-2010, 10:10 PM
this thread sucks donkey balls.

if tomlin didnt have a life i would love to hear his critisizm of some of the poster's "analysis" in this thread.
=FAIL

TOOLofSTEEL
10-25-2010, 10:16 PM

Sorry to hear you have sand in your ***** bro. :hug:

zulater
10-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm so glad some of the posters here aren't coaches or in the Steelers FO. This team would be so screwed.

I feel as if I'm over at another board hearing those sort of comments. :doh:

SteelCityMom
10-25-2010, 10:47 PM
I feel as if I'm over at another board hearing those sort of comments. :doh:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm255/ChopsRock/Animated%20GIFs/OhSnap-house.gif

I would have banned you by now if that were really true. :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2010, 11:18 PM
this thread sucks donkey balls.

if tomlin didnt have a life i would love to hear his critisizm of some of the poster's "analysis" in this thread.
=FAIL
http://www.strathcona.bc.ca/uploaded_images/donkey-776593.jpg

zulater
10-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Let me just clarify a few things here.

1. I don't sign on to the premise of this thread, I don't think Tomlin is a poor game day coach.

2.That said there's always some decisions that will draw debate, and I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing those things to light and offering a contrary opinion.

3. I think a strong case can be made to forego the fg and try to punch it in from the 1 foot line given the situation of the game at the time.

4. By disagreeing with Tomlin decision I'm not saying he was wrong, or that I think he is a poor game day coach, all I'm saying is that i think there were two viable paths in that instance and I would have chose the other one.

5. http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/10/what-about-steelers-should-they-have.html

I think there's a solid case to be made for kicking the field goal and also think there's a sound argument for suggesting they should have gone for it too.

SteelCityMom
10-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Let me just clarify a few things here.

1. I don't sign on to the premise of this thread, I don't think Tomlin is a poor game day coach.

2.That said there's always some decisions that will draw debate, and I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing those things to light and offering a contrary opinion.

This is 100% correct (I don't agree with your other points, so I'm not including them :chuckle: ).

There is nothing wrong with debating and offering contrary opinions. There never will be.

With that said, if you (or anyone else) are going to offer up opinions and analysis, be ready to own them, because everyone else is just as free to offer up their opinions of your opinions.

I'm not saying you or anyone else hasn't owned their words to this point, I'm just speaking in general terms. Don't get upset if you don't like someones opinion of your opinion. Like assholes, we all have them....and are free to flaunt them here. (unless you're uber annoying like DownByLaw and whatdoiknow...then you go poof).

Things are not always going to be sunshine and happiness between posters, that's an impossible thing to strive towards on a message board (and in real life), but most of us are adults here and can work things out as such. :thumbsup:

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Like assholes, we all have them....and are free to flaunt them here. (unless you're uber annoying like DownByLaw and whatdoiknow...then you go poof).
And unless you're Goatse. If you're Goatse, please do not flaunt your asshole here..
:puke:

stb_steeler
10-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Supafly ring a bell.........:toofunny:

StainlessStill
10-26-2010, 06:02 PM

DUDE! STFU. It could be worse. We could have that buffoon Wade Phillips or that worthless P.O.S in Norv Turner to be ahead of our team. Be fortunate we have a badass coach that seems to have a bearhold on his personal and control of his players.

The Tomlin pickup makes the Rooney's to look even more genius. I love Tomlin.

Steeler4life1972
10-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Well here's my opinion...this thread is awful....we are 5-1...why are we bitching at the head coach...right now we are in the top 3 in the afc....nuff said.:tt04:

mikegrimey
10-26-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't think Tomlin is a bad game day coach by any means.

That doesn't mean he hasn't made some bone headed calls before. Some mentioned in here are very memorable, like the 2 pt conversion tries in the 07 Wildcard game, or repeatedly going for it on 4th and goal in the 08 season, only to see Gary Russel get thrown into the backfield everytime, but he seems to learn from his mistakes, which is more than we can say for the truly bad game day coaches in the NFL.

One thing we can say is that under Tomlin we rarely get blown out and have at least a chance to win every game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but during his reign, we have only been blown out 1 time, that against the 18-1 2007 Patriots.