PDA

View Full Version : with townsend signed, whats up for taylor?

Sharkissle29
03-17-2006, 03:47 PM
this townsend signing has worried me significantly. i would have much rather signed ike than deshea. with this signing, do you think we're gonna resign ike? the steelers would be making a huge mistake that they will regret for as long as ike plays.

PLEASE RESIGN IKE!!!!!!!!!!!!
(a star in the making)

83-Steelers-43
03-17-2006, 03:54 PM
It all depends on what other teams are offering. I can't imagine them letting Ike slip, but you never know. IMO, it would be a very big mistake.

drizze99
03-17-2006, 03:57 PM
He has an offer on the table and no team has offered him a contract yet. The only thing that scares me is that the Foreskins are interested in him and they always over pay players.

pucho58
03-17-2006, 04:34 PM
I do not believe Ike is going anywhere;unless teams are willing to give up drafts picks for him.

SteelerFanInCA
03-17-2006, 04:36 PM
I believe Ike will end up staying in Steeltown. FO seems to be coming through on the players that really matter.

Suitanim
03-17-2006, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't worry too much...I think this is all going according to plan. I'm actually a little surprised that Townsend came in for reasonably cheap...I thought for sure some team would vastly overpay him...

Sharkissle29
03-17-2006, 07:56 PM
you guys all made me therapy session better....
i got scared lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Townsend is not the future for us. He's resigned because he's a veteran, he's tough, and plays cover as good as anyone. He's there for insurance and to continue to help develop McFadden and Taylor who are the future.

Ike will be signed to a long term deal...we've invested way to much in him to let him go.

SteelerMurf
03-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Every team needs 3 good CBs because a lot of the time they are on the field almost every down. Especially seeing Cincy twice a year, you can't just have 2 good corners and a so-so corner.

Ike will probably get an extension after the draft picks are signed.

DIESELMAN
03-17-2006, 11:13 PM
We'll sign Ike........Deshea agreed to a four-year deal, $8 million contract that could be worth an additional $400,000 a year with incentives to re-sign.Townsend will make $3 million in the first year of the contract. Ike received a $1.55 million tender from the Steelers. If another team signs Taylor to an offer sheet, the Steelers would have to match it or would lose him and be compensated with a first-round draft choice.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-18-2006, 11:21 AM
I think we'll resign Ike,don't get too worried.You can't resign your FA's in an order because there is always talking involved between the team and the player/agent.

It also depends on what a team that wants to offer him a contract are willing to give up for him.Do they think he's worth giving up a first rounder if we we match thier offer.Are they willing to potentially over pay him by giving him a contract bigger than we can/will?

I think what hurt Ike last year was the dropped interceptions.He did have that big one in the Super Bowl,but he dropped one early in the SB too.That may be why he's not being looked at like we all thought he'd be.

redst3
03-18-2006, 02:10 PM
uhm...can we just take this as good news without worrying about Ike? I'm glad we got him back.

clevestinks
03-18-2006, 05:54 PM
I`m not so sure that he will be back, its seems the Steelers arent really making him a priority

Suitanim
03-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Ike isn't going anywhere...and keeping Townsend assures us that the Steelers are confident in the 4 guys they have, so don't be looking for any CB draft picks (unless they experiment with another small school guy in later rounds).

With the exception of Deshea, our CB's have a combined 6 years experience between the 3 of them, and they will all only get better.

Oh, and we have Chidi, too.

Petesburgh66
03-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Look at it this way, if Culpepper only fetches a 2nd round pick, I don't see how any NFL team would give up a 1st round pick to get Ike. Only the Redskins continue to treat their 1st round picks as fodder. And they don't have one this year. Too bad, go draft a CB. Ike isn't going any where.

redst3
03-19-2006, 01:34 PM
What i meant was I am glad we got Deshea back. Not every silver cloud has a dark lining:bouncy:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-19-2006, 03:29 PM
The Steelers aren't worried about Ike so much right now because they typically work on extensions to contracts closer to training camp and during camp. They will make sure they get anyone they want in FA and concentrate on the draft then as in years past they'll work on an extension for Ike and make it more of priority later in the offseason. Its only March remember.

Steel Pit
03-20-2006, 12:05 AM
I don't believe that anyone is going to give up their 1st round pick for Ike Taylor. With that being said the Steelers still have to sign him long term because I don't believe that Ike will play this year for the amount offered on the tender sheet. He may end up being a hold out if things don't get done pretty soon.

Midnightwriter1
03-21-2006, 05:40 AM
No team is going to give up a first round pick for Taylor. Most Steeler fans are the ones who think he is the second coming of Rod Woodson, not other teams. He is still faily new at position. He missed tackles, he missed ALOT of easy INT's and also he has some work to do on his coverage skills. He played well at times, then other times he really didnt look so great. I think we will resign him in the summer time, after the draft. We have Townsend, Ricardo C , McFadden and Taylor and i would think that will be our corners for years to come. Tyrone Carter will be an all pupose back up at the safety positions and corner if needed .. he showed that he can play when he got more of a chance down the stretch. If anything, they may sign a CB late in draft to come in that could be a reaplacement for Townsend and/ if Ricadro C doesnt work out. Yaylor will get signed this summer to a longer deal after our draft picks are in camp and the Steelers can see how much money they will have to play with down the road.