View Full Version : Harrison passes on making big hit on Dolphins' Brown

mesaSteeler
10-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Harrison passes on making big hit on Dolphins' Brown
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_705984.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 25, 2010

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. Steelers linebacker James Harrison said he knows how to play football only one way.

Still, Harrison said he gave pause before attempting to line up Miami Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown for a tackle early in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game at Sun Life Stadium.

To go for big hit or not to go for the big hit?

Harrison passed.

Brown turned a short toss from quarterback Chad Henne into a 5-yard gain.

"The one where Ronnie Brown was coming across the middle, and I started to go in there and hit him," said Harrison, who recorded four uneventful tackles in the Steelers' 23-22 win in his first game after being fined $75,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit against Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi. "It looked like he might have been sliding down, sort of like the same situation with Massaquoi.

"I had a chance to put my head in there, but it looked like he was crouching down, and I didn't want to get a helmet-to- helmet, so I just put my face in there. Luckily, he went down and didn't scamper for another 10, 15 yards."

Otherwise, Harrison said he played his normal game. He insisted he didn't allow the national controversy surrounding his hit against Massaquoi affect how he played against the Dolphins.

"I wasn't trying to send a message," Harrison said. "No extra motivation than it is any other game. I was just out there playing the game the way that I've been taught to play since I was 10."

In his first public comments since appearing on several national radio shows last week, Harrison repeated that he didn't try to intentionally hurt Massaquoi. He said the helmet-to-helmet contact was unavoidable.

"That hit with Massaquoi was something that was uncontrollable," Harrison said. "The guy ducked and crouched down on me. My angle was all ready to hit him around his waist area. We hit helmet-to-helmet. Yet they want to fault me for that. I'm a pro athlete, true. I can adjust, but I can't adjust to something at the last minute. That's unreal."

Asked if he believes he will win his appeal with the NFL regarding his $75,000 fine, Harrison replied: "I don't know if it will be overturned, but if you look at the play, there's no way you can say I was trying to hurt the guy."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432

lionslicer
10-25-2010, 12:21 AM
I saw Clark have a clean shot at a guy, and he slowed down and he almost missed a tackle actually.

Many games today were very high scoring for this reason.

Except the Raiders games, they just outplayed the Broncos.

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 12:36 AM
The scores seemed out of hand today in my opinion. I don't think it's coincidence. I think those bozos in NY are getting exactly what they wanted when they slapped Harrison with that fine. I'm sure they'll waive the fine since it's already served its purpose.

WickedSteel
10-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Yep, this is exactly what the NFL wanted-OFFENSE,OFFENSE,OFFENSE!!!

There were a number of times today in the games where defenders pulled up and didn't even make a tackle because the NFL neutered them. Now receivers will have no fear when going across the middle and big plays will ensue.

I will be interested to see what the NFL does about the hit on Max Hall tomorrow and there was another hit in the Eagles game I believe where the RB was smacked right on the helmet and there was no flag because, after all, the RB is fair game. If the NFL wants to be taken seriously how can they say that you can't make a "devastating" hit on a "defenseless" receiver yet you can blast a RB as hard as you want on his helmet??? And to top it off, a week after Heap was concussed in the New England game, he was out there playing again and at one point during the game he fell down for no apparent reason. Now if the NFL is absolutely serious about protecting it's players, why was Heap allowed to play??? Getting multiple concussions in a short period of time is the real danger and yet he was out there getting banged around again a week later. Joke.

jjpro11
10-25-2010, 01:19 AM
this is what i hate.. everyone is now scrutinizing every single hit, or non-hit.. back in the day you saw a big hit and jumped up and went "wow!" or "oh shit!".. now if you see a big hit it's "oh.. did he make contact with the helmet?" "was it legal?" "did he launch himself?" "that might draw a flag." it's all just stupid. they have honest to God taken the fun out of the game. it started with eliminating TD celebrations to the point where if a fatass lineman trips and falls down while spiking the ball, it's considered a penalty. now they are making everyone freak out about the very reason we love football.. THE PHYSICALITY OF THE GAME!

frunko1
10-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Roger goodell was heard saying he is upset about teams slowing up this weekend. The bigger fines have allowed him to enjoy the finer things in life, here is a picture

http://lh5.ggpht.com/__7IJpoKX9tk/SYMdk4D2K4I/AAAAAAAAAJc/C1GCoqtREB0/ScroogeMcDuck.png?imgmax=800