PDA

View Full Version : Steelers-Dolphins report card

mesaSteeler
10-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Steelers-Dolphins report card
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_705972.html
By Mark Kaboly
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 25, 2010

QUARTERBACK: Steelers A; Dolphins B

Ben Roethlisberger still wasn't sharp but threw for 302 yards and a pair of scores. Chad Henne was Miami's only offensive weapon but didn't do a good job in the red zone.

RUNNING BACK: Steelers D; Dolphins D

Rashard Mendenhall had a season-low 37 yards on 15 carries, and the Steelers managed only 2.1 yards per carry against an average Miami defense. Ronnie Brown was non-existent.

WIDE RECEIVER: Steelers A; Dolphins C

Hines Ward continues to make plays, and Mike Wallace continues to get deep on safeties. The two combined for 14 catches. Davone Bess had a nice touchdown, but Brandon Marshall was quiet all day.

TIGHT END: Steelers B; Dolphins B

Heath Miller caught a pair of critical passes, but Matt Spaeth wasn't able to haul in a pass in the end zone. Anthony Fasano caught 3 passes for 49 yards and proved to be a tough matchup.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Steelers C; Dolphins B

The Steelers were playing shorthanded with Flozell Adams going out early and the constant flopping at right guard with Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky. Henne was sacked only once and hurried only three times.

DEFENSIVE LINE: Steelers A; Dolphins A

Playing without Brett Keisel and then Aaron Smith going out, Ziggy Hood and Nick Eason filled in admirably. The Steelers were held to their season-low rushing yards because of the defensive line.

LINEBACKER: Steelers B; Dolphins B

Lawrence Timmons was forced outside because of the injury to LaMarr Woodley and was held to a season-low three tackles. Foote played well in reserve. Karlos Dansby led Miami with 9 tackles.

SECONDARY: Steelers B; Dolphins B+

Ike Taylor held Brandon Marshall in check, and the rest of the unit didn't allow big plays. Chris Clemons had 9 tackles and forced Roethlisberger to fumble in the fourth while Yeremiah Bell had a sack and a forced fumble.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Steelers A; Dolphins A

Jeff Reed had two field goals and a touchback while Dan Sepulveda averaged 47.3 yards per punt. Dan Carpenter was a perfect 5-for-5 in field goals, and punter Brandon Fields booted a 66-yarder.

COACHING: Steelers B; Dolphins B

The only questionable decision Mike Tomlin made was not electing to try a long field goal or a Hail Mary to end the first half. Tony Sparano was a little conservative with his approach trying to take advantage of first-quarter turnovers.

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

ZoneBlitzer
10-24-2010, 11:26 PM
As much as I like Ben as a QB, there's just no way is he deserving of an "A" for his performance today.

Ben still has a problem with ball security and knowing when to give up on a play. He cost his team 3 points today.

I'd say he's worthy of a B- for his efforts solely because of that one unintelligent turnover.

steeltheone
10-25-2010, 05:06 AM
As much as I like Ben as a QB, there's just no way is he deserving of an "A" for his performance today.

Ben still has a problem with ball security and knowing when to give up on a play. He cost his team 3 points today.

I'd say he's worthy of a B- for his efforts solely because of that one unintelligent turnover.

I agree,,,Good game by BR7...But the fumbles kept it from an A game

NYC_Steeler
10-25-2010, 05:20 AM
I don't know what gme this guy was watching - at the most, I'd give Ben a B-. Too many dumb plays and the whopper being the way he openly cradled the ball as he was going in for the TD - there wouldn't have been any controversy if he had held the ball correctly. Apparently, he didn't learn anything from Bettis's fumble against the Colts.

madtowndrunkard
10-25-2010, 11:25 AM
I'd give Ben a C+ on this one.

We should have lost and that loss would have rested solely on Ben's shoulders. He lucked out, we lived to fight another day. Of course you can't totally discount the plays he did make so I think he earned a C+ Throwing for 300 yards is nice but if Ben didn't fumble he wouldn't have needed to throw for 300 yards.

To get an A in this game you had better have dominated the opponent and not hurt your team at all.

DoubleYoi
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Couldn't agree more with Ben's A-rating. He finished with a line of 19-27-302-2-0 and a QB rating of 132.0 on the road against a pretty solid team. Let's not forget this was only his second game back from a month-long lay off too. Yes, he needs to protect the ball better and learn that taking sack is better than fumbling the ball away but had one of those plays gone how he had planned, we'd all be praising him for his ability to make something of nothing. We applaud those plays when they work but criticize Ben when they don't....can't have it both ways.

steelcity1974
10-25-2010, 01:52 PM
How do the coaches get anything above a D? The fact that we didn't even call a time out before the end of the first half to at least try a hail mary is worthy of an F grade by itself.