PDA

View Full Version : Why is Randle El our PR?

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 02:26 AM
We are dead last in the NFL in punt return average at 4.5 yards, compared to 16.7 by Chicago. Meanwhile on kick returns we are 5th. Curiously, the number one punt returner in the entire league in terms of average is a Steeler: Antonio Brown with 21 yds/return.

Granted, he only has one punt return, and it's for 21 yards. But then again, there are nine guys at the bottom of the list with one return for zero yards. And what do you know, almost immediately above those nine guys is our full-time punt returner, Antwaan Randle El, with a 3-yard per return average. He also just misses first place with his number of fair catches. It's pathetic.

You say Tomlin wants his steady, ready veteran hands at this position, to prevent the fumbles? Well guess what? He's tied for first place in the league for fumbles among punt returners. He's returned 11 punts, and fumbled twice. That's a fumble almost every fifth return.

This is way too much info already. Somebody please tell me what sort of pictures ARE has of Tomlin or Everest. Why the hell are Sanders and Brown not covering all of our return duties? Better yet, tell me we've seen the last of Randle El at PR. I like the guy, and I don't need to see him cut, but this is ridiculous. Put playmakers on the field.

Acerinox
10-25-2010, 03:05 AM
+ 1

steeltheone
10-25-2010, 05:01 AM
probably the same reason Fox doesnt see the field...Sticking with the vets.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Rather have sure hands than ball movement, thats up to BB to handle. Plus our pump coverage isn't exactly great.

However EL keeps wanting to catch the ball on his shoulders and has not exactly been a sure bet to not drop the rock.

billym99
10-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Rather have sure hands than ball movement, thats up to BB to handle. Plus our pump coverage isn't exactly great.

However EL keeps wanting to catch the ball on his shoulders and has not exactly been a sure bet to not drop the rock.

I agree... i've only seen him muff one catch on punt returns, i believe it was in the Cleveland game but can't remember. He recovered the the ball immediately. I like his ability to catch the ball, wish he could run better after the catch.

bigchuck
10-25-2010, 12:29 PM
because hes the most sure handed punt returner we have, no way i want a rookie back there feilding punts, who is your expert pick to return punts for us and why??

DoubleYoi
10-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Sanders fumbled the opening kick and it almost cost us the game yesterday. At least on a kickoff, he has time to recover a fumble before the other team can pounce on it. You don't have that luxury on a punt so you better have your most sure-handed returner back there. I don't think El has turned the ball over yet this year, has he? I'll sacrifice return yards for sure catches every time. Our offense is strong enough to drive the ball just about any distance so punt return yards aren't as crucial as they'd be if we had an anemic offense.

ZoneBlitzer
10-25-2010, 12:46 PM
With the ousting of Logan, the Steelers now have ZERO threat in the return game. ARE is a "once was" player. He is a has been. I have seen several muffs from this guy and lots of dancing around for nothing.

DoubleYoi
10-25-2010, 12:51 PM
With the ousting of Logan, the Steelers now have ZERO threat in the return game. ARE is a "once was" player. He is a has been. I have seen several muffs from this guy and lots of dancing around for nothing.

But has he turned the ball over or cost us anything more than a few return yards? Yeah, it's a bit of an adventure with him back there but it hasn't cost us yet. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Lady Steel
10-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Sanders fumbled the opening kick and it almost cost us the game yesterday.

Sure Sanders fumbled the opening kick yesterday, but I respectively disagree that it was that play and that play only that almost cost us the game. Sanders more than made up for his fumble throughout the remainder of the game, in my opinion.

DoubleYoi
10-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Sure Sanders fumbled the opening kick yesterday, but I respectively disagree that it was that play and that play only that almost cost us the game. Sanders more than made up for his fumble throughout the remainder of the game, in my opinion.

Agreed. Sanders played well throughout the day but we dodged a huge bullet by holding Miami to a FG after he fumbled the opening kickoff. If they score a TD on that ensuing drive, we lose the game.

#1LambertFan
10-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Sanders gave us a little special teams boost yesterday.... well a huge boost, but a kickoff is easier to field than a punt because you have more blockers and a longer distance between you and the opposing players so you have more time to catch the ball get set and run. Randle-El is a sure punt returner and he will probably show a little flash when given some room to run. I think its more on the other 10 guys on the fiel than it is him accounting for our bad return average.

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 04:10 PM
And yet he does not, in fact, have "sure hands" as all of you are suggesting. The stats are quite clear: he is tied for the league lead in fumbles by punt returns.

Mind you, he's tied with folks like Josh Cribbs and Stefan Logan, but hopefully everyone sees that at least with those two there is a definite risk/reward calculus. There is no reward with Antwaan, only risk. If all that is needed is someone with "sure hands" to fair catch on every punt, put Troy back there, or Hines.

Put playmakers on the field. How is the risk of Brown fumbling a few times (but meanwhile getting experience under his belt, so that he doesn't continue to fumble) any worse than perpetually starting behind our own 10-yard line?

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 04:13 PM
I think its more on the other 10 guys on the fiel than it is him accounting for our bad return average.
So then why does Brown have a 21-yard average? Did he get a different 10 guys to block for him?

Sanders, despite the fumble, is going to continue to return kicks, but at least we can see the why of it. Randle El, despite his fumbles, is for some completely unknown reason also going to continue to return punts.

I ask again: what pictures does ARE have of Tomlin? [This is your cue, MoP]

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2010, 04:21 PM
while most others here were giddy with glee over getting randal el back, here was my reply...

can't say i'm overly thrilled about it. the way i see it, if your adding average to below average vets who have clearly already hit thier ceiling , a low ceiling at that, then your not moving forward, your standing still... i mean these guys like el and battle are clearly not starter material and NEVER will be an offer zero upside. tomlin said before,"we don't have backups...we have starters in waiting ".... that actually SHOULD be the philosophy for adding depth, but as long as you got guys on the roster who have no upside or future, then your lessening the chances of finding the guy who does...
if you want a perfect example of this, chucky okolbi would be it... he took up a roster spot for 5 freakin years, then when it came time to start, adios chucky... so instead of staying pro active in search for the next great center, they stood pat on a bum who couldn't make ANYONES roster after the steelers canned him.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=49098&highlight=randal&page=4

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 04:28 PM
while most others here were giddy with glee over getting randal el back, here was my reply...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=49098&highlight=randal&page=4
And you have also stated on several occasions that the FO clearly overreacted to the Holmes trade, not only drafting two wide receivers, but also way overpaying Battle and signing Randle El. I agree 100% on all counts.

Even with as little as ARE is doing, you'd think he and everyone else on the team would be pissed about how much Battle is getting, and for what? He doesn't even hold a clipboard, or hold up those canvas shade boards they're using on the sidelines.

And to think we could have given Urbik another year, just like Hills got, or Doug Worthington, a DE that could be providing a bit of depth right now with Smith gone. No, Battle and ARE are simply indispensable.

smheart78
10-25-2010, 04:38 PM
We are a vastly improved ST unit. We were ranked 30th last year and now we are ranked 8 by the Football Outsiders DVOA. This includes the missed feild goals by REED this year. Saying that, the Punt return has the least upside to address. The entire NFL averages 9 yds/punt return. That's it, with all the other improvements, I'm ok for having a sure vet returning punts for now. To put it in perspective, the NFL averages 25 yds/kickoff return.

I hate that the steelers are dead last in this stat but it's not that huge, considering the rest of the ST has greatly improved.
Last years punt return averages were lower than this year for the entire league. Last year we averaged about 8 yards/ punt return, with the league leader at 13.5 yds/return. That's 4 to 5 yards for about 3-5 punts a game.

lionslicer
10-25-2010, 04:40 PM
I still say no one knows what they are talking about.. :sofunny:

I've heard numerous times that Brown/Sanders have done punt return in practice to win the job from ARE...

Al Everest isn't just some smuck who's like "well put El back there because he's old and stupid" He must show in practice that he can protect the ball better than both Brown and Sanders, which is why they are on kick off returns... And as we say yesterday, Sanders isn't really that great at protecting the ball.

But what do coaches know...

Teams should be run by the fans in the city, because that obviously will lead to more champtionships

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 05:09 PM
I still say no one knows what they are talking about.. :sofunny:

I've heard numerous times that Brown/Sanders have done punt return in practice to win the job from ARE...

Al Everest isn't just some smuck who's like "well put El back there because he's old and stupid" He must show in practice that he can protect the ball better than both Brown and Sanders, which is why they are on kick off returns... And as we say yesterday, Sanders isn't really that great at protecting the ball.

But what do coaches know...

Teams should be run by the fans in the city, because that obviously will lead to more champtionships
But neither is Randle El, and yet both of them will be returning for us next week. Or rather, one of them will be returning for us, while the other fair catches. At least one of them shows something for the risk.

As far as this theory that the coaches know best, and would never put a bad plan in place, or put anyone other than their best players on the field... You clearly have not been paying attention to Steelers' special teams over the past 10-12 years, and especially over the previous three.

hammy36
10-25-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm frustrated with ARE's returns as well but please realize there are ten other fellas on the field at the time who have a responsibility to get in front of someone and at least create somewhat of a lane for the return man...this isn't tecmo bowl :)

That being said, I'm not sure ARE is the man to be back there either...just saying I don't see a lot of room for him most of the time.

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2010, 05:24 PM
As far as this theory that the coaches know best, and would never put a bad plan in place, or put anyone other than their best players on the field... .
sean mayhan....nuff said..:popcorn:

lionslicer
10-25-2010, 05:35 PM
But neither is Randle El, and yet both of them will be returning for us next week. Or rather, one of them will be returning for us, while the other fair catches. At least one of them shows something for the risk.

As far as this theory that the coaches know best, and would never put a bad plan in place, or put anyone other than their best players on the field... You clearly have not been paying attention to Steelers' special teams over the past 10-12 years, and especially over the previous three.

Steelers last year had the worst special teams unit. Steelers in 2008 had the best special teams unit. Coverage wise, they didn't score points, but they didn't allow as many run backs or return yards as any other team.

If you wanted the best players on special teams, you'd do what the 85 bears did, and put all your starters on special teams...

And again you don't know if anyone is better than El at punt returns. I really doubt he likes it back there, he looks scared half the time.
If Wallace is the fastest player in the NFL why isnt' he returning kicks?

From what I've noticed about the punt unit is that it sucks at setting up blocks in general. I think ARE has had a total of like 5 punts that didn't go out of bounds or he hasn't had to call fair catch on.

More than likely in practice Sanders and or Brown didn't call fair catch enough times and tried to return it and screwed up.

Why don't you email the Steelers and ask for the practice tapes of special teams

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm frustrated with ARE's returns as well but please realize there are ten other fellas on the field at the time who have a responsibility to get in front of someone and at least create somewhat of a lane for the return man...this isn't tecmo bowl :)

That being said, I'm not sure ARE is the man to be back there either...just saying I don't see a lot of room for him most of the time.
there's always going to be a defender running free ... the returner has to be able to dodge at least 1 guy. randal el doesn't get by the first defender down the field , thus the 3 yard average. hell if you just caught the ball and fell forward your going to average 2 yds ...:doh:

tony hipchest
10-25-2010, 05:47 PM
bring back Dookie AKA The Dump Truck! :tt02:

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Yes, and those same 10 other guys popped Brown loose for a 21-yard return (with no fumble, I'll add.)
Steelers last year had the worst special teams unit. Steelers in 2008 had the best special teams unit. Coverage wise, they didn't score points, but they didn't allow as many run backs or return yards as any other team.

If you wanted the best players on special teams, you'd do what the 85 bears did, and put all your starters on special teams...

And again you don't know if anyone is better than El at punt returns. I really doubt he likes it back there, he looks scared half the time.
If Wallace is the fastest player in the NFL why isnt' he returning kicks?

From what I've noticed about the punt unit is that it sucks at setting up blocks in general. I think ARE has had a total of like 5 punts that didn't go out of bounds or he hasn't had to call fair catch on.

More than likely in practice Sanders and or Brown didn't call fair catch enough times and tried to return it and screwed up.

Why don't you email the Steelers and ask for the practice tapes of special teams
We had the worst coverage units, at least with regards to scoring. We were actually 27th and 23rd, and now we're 26th and 11th. But what of it? Are you suggesting that we cannot change our punt returner for the risk of giving up KR TDs to our opponents?

Please don't tell me we're going to have the same debate as the past few years with Shitthebedsky at ST coach. It is our right and our duty as fans to ask questions about our team's performance. Anyone who thinks the folks upstairs would never, ever do anything less than their best is not asking enough questions.

[I just edited our return coverage stats... we're not exactly lights out this year either.]

lionslicer
10-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Yes, and those same 10 other guys popped Brown loose for a 21-yard return (with no fumble, I'll add.)

We had the worst coverage units, at least with regards to scoring. We were actually 27th and 23rd, and now we're 26th and 11th. But what of it? Are you suggesting that we cannot change our punt returner for the risk of giving up KR TDs to our opponents?

Please don't tell me we're going to have the same debate as the past few years with Shitthebedsky at ST coach. It is our right and our duty as fans to ask questions about our team's performance. Anyone who thinks the folks upstairs would never, ever do anything less than their best is not asking enough questions.

[I just edited our return coverage stats... we're not exactly lights out this year either.]

I thought we had the best in 2008... or maybe that was a couple years before then. I know at somepoint between 2004 and 2008 we had one of the better coverage teams units... But I don't know I was in the psychward and my memory could be fuzzy.

But I do know that why complain? No one will do anything if you just complain, especially since you really don't know if Brown or Sanders is good at punt returning. What if everyone in Pittsburgh protested one of them should return punts instead of ARE and then the first punt return is muffed ending up in a touchdown for the other team. Would you be proud of that? Honestly I don't think Brown brings anything other than speed. His touchdown was a very good executed played by the whole special teams unit. Sanders atleast has shown he can take it pretty far on just a normal return. But he only runs straight ahead. 80% of punt return touchdowns are from a player moving around and dodging the first few people before running it back. Its never a straight ahead run from begining to end.

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 06:50 PM
I thought we had the best in 2008... or maybe that was a couple years before then. I know at somepoint between 2004 and 2008 we had one of the better coverage teams units... But I don't know I was in the psychward and my memory could be fuzzy.

But I do know that why complain? No one will do anything if you just complain, especially since you really don't know if Brown or Sanders is good at punt returning. What if everyone in Pittsburgh protested one of them should return punts instead of ARE and then the first punt return is muffed ending up in a touchdown for the other team. Would you be proud of that? Honestly I don't think Brown brings anything other than speed. His touchdown was a very good executed played by the whole special teams unit. Sanders atleast has shown he can take it pretty far on just a normal return. But he only runs straight ahead. 80% of punt return touchdowns are from a player moving around and dodging the first few people before running it back. Its never a straight ahead run from begining to end.
First of all, squeaky wheels get the grease, that's one of life's most basic truisms. No one in Cincy cares if their team wins or loses, and they get just what they ask for.

Secondly, how do we not know if Brown or Sanders are any good at returning? We do know for a fact that at a bare minimum they have enormous upside, and we have strong reasons to believe they would excel at the position.

Thirdly, where do you get the idea that a lot of horizontal movement is the key with punt returns? It's the exact opposite, straightline speed and vision (as well as good blocking and luck) are what you need in your PR. Type in "punt return for TD" in Google and randomly scroll through the videos that appear. Almost all of the returns are North-and-South running, with the occasional little wiggle here or there.

lionslicer
10-25-2010, 06:54 PM
First of all, squeaky wheels get the grease, that's one of life's most basic truisms. No one in Cincy cares if their team wins or loses, and they get just what they ask for.

Secondly, how do we not know if Brown or Sanders are any good at returning? We do know for a fact that at a bare minimum they have enormous upside, and we have strong reasons to believe they would excel at the position.

Thirdly, where do you get the idea that a lot of horizontal movement is the key with punt returns? It's the exact opposite, straightline speed and vision (as well as good blocking and luck) are what you need in your PR. Type in "punt return for TD" in Google and randomly scroll through the videos that appear. Almost all of the returns are North-and-South running, with the occasional little wiggle here or there.

If ARE went straight ahead, he would die, the punt blocking isn't that good lol.

And how do we know they are good at returning? We can go back in forth with this. Don't preach to me, I'm serious email the Steelers about this, or just go to their training facility and demand what you want!

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2010, 07:30 PM

actually thats not entirely true...:noidea: ....and yes , i'm singling you out because i'm an asshole. :chuckle:

Bengals' fans blast management with billboard campaign (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Bengals-fans-blast-management-with-billboard-ca?urn=nfl-121646)

By Joe Zedalis (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors?author=Joe+Zedalis)
A group of frustrated and angry Bengals fans have purchased space on four billboards in the greater Cincinnati area blasting team management for the lousy state of the franchise.
The billboards read: "Dear Bengals, hire a general manager. Love, your fans.''
The message is clearly directed at owner Mike Brown (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5068/). According to the website whodeyrevolution.com fans have had enough of 18 seasons of Mike Brown making football decisions. The team, which does not have a GM, has a record of 98-183, the worst winning percentage of all professional sports teams over that stretch. Einstein's famous quote "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and
Organizers of the billboard campaign are asking fans to contribute money "to make sure these billboards can stay up for the rest of the season and into the once again Bengal-free post-season.'' ,
Organizers are asking fans to donate $18 each or $1 for each year of Mike Brown's ownership of the team.
The website noted: "Just think how much of your money Mike Brown has buried in a tin can in his backyard (he doesn't trust those new fancy "banks").''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Bengals-fans-blast-management-with-billboard-ca?urn=nfl-121646

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 10:01 PM
You poopscallion!!! I'll get you if it's the last thing I ever do!!!

sharkweek
10-26-2010, 01:01 AM
still have to consider where the punts are being made

if the other team is punting from mid field the best but returner and best punt coverage in the world can't make up for the fact that the ball is in the air long enough for the coverage unit to get down field and force a fair catch.

our punt returns are also a product of our bend but don't break defense giving the other team favorable punt position, I'd keep my pants on about this issue for the time being

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 01:42 AM
I'd keep my pants on about this issue for the time being
Too late. My pants are off.

DanRooney
10-26-2010, 02:30 AM
still have to consider where the punts are being made

if the other team is punting from mid field the best but returner and best punt coverage in the world can't make up for the fact that the ball is in the air long enough for the coverage unit to get down field and force a fair catch.

our punt returns are also a product of our bend but don't break defense giving the other team favorable punt position, I'd keep my pants on about this issue for the time being

There have been a several returnable punts that Randle El has fair caught or juked his way 2 yards forward. He shouldn't be back there now that Ben is back.

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 02:37 AM
The Dez Bryant return tonight was another example of what speed and a little rookie fearlessness can do. Not a whole lot of left-to-right, other than looping his way back around after how far he had to go back to field the punt. Just looped back around and took off. No dancing, no fancy footwork, no Barry Sanders impressions. Just take off and score.

Maybe one day. :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
10-26-2010, 02:48 AM
had tommy madox not gotten hurt , rookie ben probably never would've played in 04, and we most likely wouldn't have made the afccg. ... you could also make the argument that a first year inexperienced starter ben wouldn't have led the team to an 05 SB.

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 03:28 AM
had tommy madox not gotten hurt , rookie ben probably never would've played in 04, and we most likely wouldn't have made the afccg. ... you could also make the argument that a first year inexperienced starter ben wouldn't have led the team to an 05 SB.
Are you suggesting that someone should arrange to have Randle El "hurt"? We have another terrorist on our site, Mom!!

lionslicer
10-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Or Maddox would have led the team to 4 straight superbowl victories... The World may never know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop

SteelKnight
10-26-2010, 03:16 PM
We are dead last in the NFL in punt return average at 4.5 yards, compared to 16.7 by Chicago. Meanwhile on kick returns we are 5th. Curiously, the number one punt returner in the entire league in terms of average is a Steeler: Antonio Brown with 21 yds/return.

Granted, he only has one punt return, and it's for 21 yards. But then again, there are nine guys at the bottom of the list with one return for zero yards. And what do you know, almost immediately above those nine guys is our full-time punt returner, Antwaan Randle El, with a 3-yard per return average. He also just misses first place with his number of fair catches. It's pathetic.

You say Tomlin wants his steady, ready veteran hands at this position, to prevent the fumbles? Well guess what? He's tied for first place in the league for fumbles among punt returners. He's returned 11 punts, and fumbled twice. That's a fumble almost every fifth return.

This is way too much info already. Somebody please tell me what sort of pictures ARE has of Tomlin or Everest. Why the hell are Sanders and Brown not covering all of our return duties? Better yet, tell me we've seen the last of Randle El at PR. I like the guy, and I don't need to see him cut, but this is ridiculous. Put playmakers on the field.

Well written, factual and funny...Bravo:sofunny:

Worse yet, Sanders returned punts at SMU...9.1 average. Why not try him?

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Well written, factual and funny...Bravo:sofunny:

Worse yet, Sanders returned punts at SMU...9.1 average. Why not try him?
Sanders or Brown. Take your pick. I couldn't care less which one. My only point is that we have a sufficient body of evidence at this point with which to assess ARE, and we can see quite clearly that he's just not going to be breaking off any long returns, nor is he going to keep the ball safe. :noidea:

Goat27
10-26-2010, 11:06 PM
problem with ARE is he is dancing too much instead of hitting a hole, he has always been that way. When he left to go to washington he really didn't do that much, and now all we did is get back a player he is still playing the same way he did in washington, and not from the SB years with us. He was and always will be a gimmick player, many can argue this, but he never really was a threat as reciever, just a play here or there

lionslicer
10-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Sanders or Brown. Take your pick. I couldn't care less which one. My only point is that we have a sufficient body of evidence at this point with which to assess ARE, and we can see quite clearly that he's just not going to be breaking off any long returns, nor is he going to keep the ball safe. :noidea:

Dude I'm serious, just go ask the Steelers yourself... Become a journalist, go into conferences with Tomlin and ask why El is returning punts. No one else has asked that but the fans.

Zorn eventually put El as punt returner after leading him on for weeks that he would keep the starting job

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Dude I'm serious, just go ask the Steelers yourself... Become a journalist, go into conferences with Tomlin and ask why El is returning punts. No one else has asked that but the fans.

Zorn eventually put El as punt returner after leading him on for weeks that he would keep the starting job
The very next press conference Tomlin holds in Southern California, I'm all over it. In the meantime I'm asking the question here on the #1 Steelers board on the internet. If anyone in the organization is ever going to hear from me at all, it'll be some whiff of me fourth- or fifth-hand from here.

lionslicer
10-27-2010, 12:14 AM
The very next press conference Tomlin holds in Southern California, I'm all over it. In the meantime I'm asking the question here on the #1 Steelers board on the internet. If anyone in the organization is ever going to hear from me at all, it'll be some whiff of me fourth- or fifth-hand from here.

Hey, next time the Steelers have a game there, go to the post game conference..
Too bad the Raiders are playing in Pittsburgh this year...

Well you'll get your chance next year. In the mean time, maybe someone from Pittsburgh would actually do it...

Maybe if someone is willing to call Bob Pompeani on the nightly sports call and ask him next time he's with Tomlin to ask about Randle El. I always miss the show, I'm sure there's someone on this board that watches it often.

EDIT: I ended up tweeting him about it. I had to blow the dust off a twitter acount I made like 3 years ago for this occasion.

tony hipchest
10-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Zorn eventually put El as punt returner after leading him on for weeks that he would keep the starting jobzorn and el were both fired. :noidea:

SteelKnight
10-27-2010, 02:06 PM

What I don't understand is people have been acting like Sanders can only do KR and brown is more valuable because he can do both KR and PR. The truth is Sanders did both in college.

Maybe they fumbled and made Tomlin nervous in practice.

problem with ARE is he is dancing too much instead of hitting a hole, he has always been that way. When he left to go to washington he really didn't do that much, and now all we did is get back a player he is still playing the same way he did in washington, and not from the SB years with us. He was and always will be a gimmick player, many can argue this, but he never really was a threat as reciever, just a play here or there

It's not just the dancing but maybe our PR coverage sucks because it always seems like the defenders are down there before he catches the ball. he needs an extra second. This is wy he gets so nervous and calls so many fair catches.

Still, I think somebody else would gamble and catch it more and run with it. We could use a good PR.

I say give Sanders a shot at #3 WR and KR/PR.

Randle El and Brown should battle for #4 WR.

This would give us one more deep threat.

ricardisimo
11-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Because I love beating a dead horse... Redskins fans are just as dumbfounded (http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?337578-For-punt-returns-Antwaan-Randle-El-is-6-in-fair-catches), trying to figure out why the hell we resigned their former punt returner.

steelerchad
11-05-2010, 08:38 AM
I think it really comes down to the fact that you want a more consistent presence returning punts. With Sanders and Brown compting each week to see who will dress for the game, we don't know who will be back there each week until Friday? I think with kickoffs, it's OK. kickoffs are easier to handle and you have a lot more reaction time before you get hit.
I don't disagree that either Sanders or Brown would be an upgrade in return yardage over El, but I think Tomlin feels the risk of a turnover is not worth the reward of some extra yardage.
I think if Tomlin ever decides on 1 of these guys to dress every week they will become the full time Kickoff and Punt returner.

fat4jc
11-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Because I love beating a dead horse... Redskins fans are just as dumbfounded (http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?337578-For-punt-returns-Antwaan-Randle-El-is-6-in-fair-catches), trying to figure out why the hell we resigned their former punt returner.

I'm with you man....if it weren't for having a somewhat shallow WR core, I'd say cut him altogether!

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2010, 09:58 AM
hater ....

There should be a video compilation of all his fair catches. My only concern is if it would have to be in separate parts due to video length.

:doh:

ricardisimo
11-06-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm with you man....if it weren't for having a somewhat shallow WR core, I'd say cut him altogether!
I actually like the guy as a 3rd or fourth receiver. He's made a few clutch catches under pressure, which is something the youngsters on the team need to learn how to do. However, lowering your head the way he did at goalline last week is not something they should be copying. He's going to wind up paralyzed if he keeps that up.

Obviously he has no business returning punts. He's not more sure-handed, and he has no returning skills left.

DanRooney
11-06-2010, 02:57 AM
I actually like the guy as a 3rd or fourth receiver. He's made a few clutch catches under pressure, which is something the youngsters on the team need to learn how to do. However, lowering your head the way he did at goalline last week is not something they should be copying. He's going to wind up paralyzed if he keeps that up.

Obviously he has no business returning punts. He's not more sure-handed, and he has no returning skills left.

Lowered his head? More like dove like a ***** trying not to get hit. He could have easily lowered his shoulder and bounced into the endzone, but instead he tried to dive his way in like a 260 lb QB did a week earlier. Randle El is is terrified of contact (and the endzone), hence why he is NEVER injured or never scores TDs. i hope he sprains his hamstring trying to avoid contact so we can dress Brown.