clevestinks
04-23-2005, 10:34 PM
What do you know about him? We all expected an o linemen

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Looks like cleve and I were watching ESPN at the same time!! :cool:

Prosdo
04-23-2005, 10:37 PM
I don't know much about him. Waiting on ESPN to educate me a little lol. Anyone got any good information on him?

clevestinks
04-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Heres the best info on Essex

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/essex_trai

Check this out

clevestinks
04-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Blitz going for the big 1,000 tonite? Congrats

Prosdo
04-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Seems like his biggest problem is laziness. If his work ethic improves that will be a large step in the right direction. It sounds like if he did put in the extra work he would improve himself a lot. Let's hope the laziness does not become a problem in the Steel City with him.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Blitz going for the big 1,000 tonite? Congrats

Yup, bring it on.. but no more picks tonite.. not sure if I can make it.. maybe I'll make 999 posts tonite and try and beat you to the 4th round pick thread :D

Ironman
04-23-2005, 11:10 PM
I think this is a ridiculous pick. There were a lot higher graded OT/OG on the board. I would have preferred taking Elton Brown from UVA and trying to turn him into a OT instead of this guy.

HinesWard4Life8682
04-23-2005, 11:15 PM
yeah the guy from UVA but his first name wasnt elton it was something else let me check on that

BB2W
04-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Essex can play both Tackle and Gaurd, and that is what Cowher/Colbert wanted all along.

clevestinks
04-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Correct T and G , and is very mobile, There were so higher rated picks, but we use systems guys, Can argue with cowhers track record at linemen

BB2W
04-23-2005, 11:58 PM
A converted tight end and three-year starter for the Wildcats, Essex is very quick for an interior lineman. He moves and slides well and at times plays with a mean streak.

The scouting report says Essex is a long-range prospect whose quickness and raw athletic ability makes his a intriguing player.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-24-2005, 12:12 AM
You normally wanna steer cleer of drafting a player specifically to change his position. Yes it does happen, like w/ El, or Matt jones, etc...but normally, the less tinkering u have to do w/ a player's position, the better.

BB2W
04-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Trai Essex grew up a Steelers fan, so you can imagine his delight when the organization selected him in the third round of the NFL Draft late Saturday.

"Pittsburgh has always been my team -- ever since the Barry Foster days," said Essex, a three-year starter at left tackle at Northwestern. "I remember playing Nintendo and I always used to be the Pittsburgh Steelers."

The 6-foot-4, 320-pound Essex is considered by most scouting services as a work in progress. He arrived at Northwestern as a blue-chip tight end, but ballooned in weight and was forced to move to tackle.

"We think he can play both guard and tackle -- I imagine we'll start him out at the tackle position," Grimm said. "We're going to give him a shot and let him compete with everybody else. He's a good football player. He's an explosive type of lineman and he fits our scheme."

ironcitychef
04-24-2005, 02:21 AM
Give him to Grimm and let him learn from the best O-line working on Sundays. Oh yeah and three Mondays this year!

clevestinks
04-24-2005, 07:52 AM
I Love players from the area, or who grew up Steelers fan, just extra incentive.

Ironman
04-24-2005, 09:10 AM
From Pittsburgh Live... Lacks ideal height but has bulked up considerably, causing him to lose speed and agility. ... Moves well for size and has quick feet. ... Must work on technique. ... Scouts report sometimes doesn't play to full potential and needs to increase strength to be reliable NFL lineman.

I still don't like the pick. He's big yes... but this write up has him as just another average OL in the league. I think if we really wanted him he would have been there 4th or 5th round. I still like Elton Brown who's a nuclear bomb in the running game and well... this is the Pittsburgh Steelers. Run or die.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-24-2005, 09:30 AM
He's a project for sure, and there's no reason he'll have to start right away, so Russ has some time to groom him the way he wanted him. Remember Olive Ross couldnt get out of his own way when he started playing, but Russ turned him into a pretty fine RT by the time he left.

clevestinks
04-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Russ better hurry, if we play as well this year as last year, which we should. Russ may be looking at a head coaching gig

BlitzburghRockCity
04-24-2005, 09:53 AM
oh man dont say that.. we need to make a "you cant leave the Steelers" clause in his contract :D

Ironman
04-24-2005, 10:10 AM
More opinion on Essex from ESPN... Essex is worth taking a chance on in the late rounds because he has the physical tools to develop into a quality reserve in the NFL and potentially the versatility to become a backup at OT and OG.

I think we got him too early for what could be just a back-up OL.

clevestinks
04-24-2005, 10:52 AM
third round is definitley not a late round

Prosdo
04-24-2005, 11:26 AM
I agree we probably could of held off on him.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-24-2005, 11:38 AM
I gotta trust russ grimm's judgement on this... the guy's a project, but when you look at what he's done w/ our starters and young players over the last few years. I'll reserve judgement on him till we see him play after he's had time to learn.

Ironman
04-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Todd McShay of Scouts, Inc and ESPN in his chat calling Elton Brown, OG, UVA the steal of the draft in the 4th round to AZ. We could have had him at 93 instead of Trai Essex. I am thoroughly disappointed with this pick.

And no... I'm not Elton Brown's agent :) I just reviewed all my posts on this topic. I seem to be going all Jerry McGuire pumping up Elton Brown :)

clevestinks
04-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Just saw the video on Elton Brown, he is an animal. But they said he also has a down side, doesn`t play tough enough, pushes alot and doesn`t just hammer people. With our track record at O line I`ll trust Cowher and Co. for now.

HinesWard4Life8682
04-24-2005, 01:33 PM
that scott young guy is still available we'll see what happens with him

clevestinks
04-24-2005, 05:11 PM
You guys are starting to make me second guess Cowher with this pick, but, if Russ Grimm thinks hes worth it then?? This is a HOF`er

HinesWard4Life8682
04-24-2005, 06:12 PM
i wouldnt say HOF'er

clevestinks
04-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Russ Grimm is the Hall Of Famer, not Heath Miller, I didn`t want it to sound like that

HinesWard4Life8682
04-24-2005, 10:49 PM
ohh ok lol, man elton brown is lazy thats why

Ironman
04-25-2005, 12:34 PM
I'd take loads of talent and physical ability... tempered with a tendency to be lazy over a project TE/OT/OG who seems to have neither the talent nor the physical ability and who ate himself out of being a TE.

Weaknesses: Durability has been a big problem throughout his career. He lacks ideal height. Added bulk late in his career but lost a lot of quickness and agility in doing so. Needs to find the proper playing weight. Must also improve his upper and lower body strength. Technique is improved but he still needs to do a more consistent job with his hand-placement and his awareness is below average. He does not show explosive power or a jarring initial punch. Is a bit of a "finesse" OT who also plays too high at times and will get walked back into the QB versus powerful bull rush.

You take your "Rudy" types in the 6th and 7th round, not the 3rd with 1st round talent on the board. I hope I am wrong in the end, but I think Russ/Bill/Kevin bit the big one on this one.

Ironman
04-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Read this transcript of Russ Grimm talking about Essex. He doesn't even act like he knows the guy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05114/493768.stm

clevestinks
04-25-2005, 02:59 PM
I don`t know if I would say he doesn`t know much about him? Grimm just seems like a man of few words. I hate to be the negative one, but I`m starting to think we should get a "c+" for the draft not an A like I first thought????????????

Ironman
04-25-2005, 09:29 PM
I agree, Cleve.