View Full Version : Time for Hood to Step Up

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 02:18 AM
On the Steelers: Time for Hood to step up
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201010/20101026smith_330.jpg
Keith Srakocic/Associated Press
With Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith out for the season due to an arm injury, Ziggy Hood is expected to replace him.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Ziggy Hood, defensive end of the future, your future is now.
The Steelers made Evander Hood the only defensive end they drafted in the first round in 21 years in 2009. They put him behind Aaron Smith on the left side with the idea he would learn from the best 3-4 end in their history, then assume the starting role when Smith retired.
Sunday, Smith was delivered a premature retirement notice at age 34 in Miami. Smith could fight back from yet another arm injury, this one a torn left triceps muscle, next season at age 35, but the time is now for Hood to step up and show why the Steelers drafted him.

[For the rest of the article...]

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10299/1098075-66.stm#ixzz13RlwQJsY

DanRooney
10-26-2010, 02:29 AM
Hope so. He's been pretty MIA thus far..except if you count his fairy tale training camp stories.

theplatypus
10-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Hope so. He's been pretty MIA thus far..except if you count his fairy tale training camp stories.

He's been hurt.
There is one thing that bothers me about some of these articles(including this one) when mentioning the lack of a pass rush. They fail to acknowledge that for the last few weeks the Steelers have only been rushing 3 or 4 the majority of the time.

ZoneBlitzer
10-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Ouch, that pass defensive ranking hurts.

Fire Arians
10-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Ouch, that pass defensive ranking hurts.

it's a little deceptive, part of that is because teams have been playing catch up vs us all year

theplatypus
10-26-2010, 11:02 AM
it's a little deceptive, part of that is because teams have been playing catch up vs us all year

ding ding ding

jjpro11
10-26-2010, 11:06 AM

true.. but still, we weren't giving up those kinds of numbers in 2008. i realize we won a number of those games in the 4th quarter.. but the offenses we faced that season were much stronger than the ones we have faced so far.

Atlanta Dan
10-26-2010, 11:12 AM

Dolphins were only down more than a touchdown after the bomb to Wallace and came right back down the field on passes at the end of the first half - hard to argue Henne's stats were based on garbage time completions - but at least all but the drive at the end of the first half ended in FGs

Biggest concern to me is how the pass defense handled the last 2 Ravens drives in the 4th quarter of the last minute loss - that was when the cracks started to show up

tony hipchest
10-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Biggest concern to me is how the pass defense handled the last 2 Ravens drives in the 4th quarter of the last minute loss - that was when the cracks started to show up

looking at the participation chart for that game shows we pretty much abandoned our base 3-4 and went nickle for the remainder of the game. i'd have to check again, but i think we had a NT on the field once in the fourth quarter and that was the final play of the game.

this chart is very telling why we may have lost that game.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/defensiveparticipation1.jpg

ZoneBlitzer
10-26-2010, 09:51 PM

yes, that and DL's focus on stopping the run - but I still don't like the yards that they have given up the last couple of games.

SoCalFan
10-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Ziggys success will also be easier if the surrounding cast steps up theere games a bit knowing Smith is missing! I think he will progress,this is a golden opportunity for him,maybe it will light a fire under his a$$...

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 11:49 PM
I hate to point out the obvious, but our corners do not inspire fear in any QB in the league. Our defensive line has the same number of INTs as our corners - one - and that 285-pound lineman returned it for a TD.

Ike Taylor is competent, but has hands of stone which almost negate his cover skills. He gets thrown at a lot. Bryant McFadden is, simply put, sub-par. William Gay, like it or not, is probably our best cover corner, but he's uneven and sometimes still lacks confidence.

tony hipchest
10-27-2010, 12:36 AM
I hate to point out the obvious, but our corners do not inspire fear in any QB in the league. Our defensive line has the same number of INTs as our corners - one - and that 285-pound lineman returned it for a TD.

Ike Taylor is competent, but has hands of stone which almost negate his cover skills. He gets thrown at a lot. Bryant McFadden is, simply put, sub-par. William Gay, like it or not, is probably our best cover corner, but he's uneven and sometimes still lacks confidence.well to be fair, mcfadden and ike each have an int.

troy has 2, clark has 1. timmons, woodley, and harrison each have 1 to go along with keisel.

just like it was designed to be, it is a total team effort.

personally i figured a healthy troy would have 10 on the season, but it seems appearant he is like d. sanders. if he isnt rushing the passer or at the line of scrimmage, qb's simply throw away from him.

NYC_Steeler
10-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Ziggy will eventually be an excellent player - once he gets to play more often. Give him a little time - you'll see.

mikegrimey
10-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Ziggys success will also be easier if the surrounding cast steps up theere games a bit knowing Smith is missing! I think he will progress,this is a golden opportunity for him,maybe it will light a fire under his a$$...

I am also hoping for Hood to embrace this opportunity to make a mark on the D-line.

steelerchad
10-27-2010, 10:02 AM

Ike Taylor is competent, but has hands of stone which almost negate his cover skills. He gets thrown at a lot. Bryant McFadden is, simply put, sub-par. William Gay, like it or not, is probably our best cover corner, but he's uneven and sometimes still lacks confidence.

I don't agree with the assessment that Gay is our best cover corner. Ike is very good in coverage, he just can't catch. He usually takes the #1 guy and limits him to an average day and almost never lets anyone get behind him for a TD.
These corners give up the underneath stuff to every team and as long as we continue to shut down teams in the red zone, I'm ok with that. McFadden getting beat in the Baltimore game hurt, but that happens occasionally.