PDA

View Full Version : Gerry: Smith has surgery, may not be done.

Deserei90
10-26-2010, 10:34 AM
This item will be posted shortly on the Post-Gazette web site, post-gazette.com, but I wanted you to see it first .....

Defensive end Aaron Smith had surgery Monday for a torn tricep tendon in his left arm and it is likely, though not definite, he will miss the remainder of the season.

Smith tore the tendon, which is attached to the tricep muscle, during the third quarter of the Steelers' 23-22 victory in Miami.

However, it has not been determined if the Steelers will put Smith on the injured reserve list, which would officially end his season. That decision will be made at a later date.
http://bit.ly/bezD6T

HAWK
10-26-2010, 10:55 AM
It still looks pretty bleak. That's a hard injury to come back from quickly.

jjpro11
10-26-2010, 11:03 AM
we're 7 weeks into the season. a Rod Woodson type comeback doesn't seem like a reality here.

DoubleYoi
10-26-2010, 11:51 AM
It'd be great to see Aaron return for a playoff run or, dare I say, Super Bowl appearance but it's really not likely. Not only does he have to heal from the tear and surgery, building the arm strenght needed to perform his job is just not going to happen. Probably a whole lot of atrophy taking place after his surgery.

tony hipchest
10-26-2010, 12:05 PM
its probably an 8-10 week injury. get a bye and smith is healthy for the playoffs.

tomlin says at this point he is leaving him on the roster to give him the opportunity to return.

:thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
10-26-2010, 12:27 PM
its probably an 8-10 week injury. get a bye and smith is healthy for the playoffs.

tomlin says at this point he is leaving him on the roster to give him the opportunity to return.

:thumbsup:

Tough call for Tomlin - i had heard L.C. Greenwood was available to take Smith's roster spot

Might as well wait and see - it is not as if the roster is brimming with All Pros in waiting to fill that void

Lady Steel
10-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Probably a whole lot of atrophy taking place after his surgery.

I don't know. Doctors are pretty good these days in getting folks up and about and into physical therapy very quickly following surgery. Things might go a lot better than we expect. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that Aaron has a speedy recovery. :hope:

stb_steeler
10-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Going to be a tough call on this one. I would think if Smith was going to continue playing he might want to let the injury heal the rest of the season. He may risk injuring it for good if he doesnt..

wootawnee
10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Good thing Smitty is right handed........He's gonna have a lot of time to use it........

wootawnee
10-26-2010, 07:41 PM
I would say if he is out 4 weeks then he could come back............When that thing is idle, he's gonna lose streght in that arm..........SO he's gonna need about 3 week to strenghten it after that, so it looks bleak............

SoCalFan
10-26-2010, 08:00 PM
HE WILL BE BACK FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!I hope,feel bad for the guy,you know he was excited to be back,it showed on the field.Get well soon bro...

StainlessStill
10-26-2010, 08:11 PM
MAN, I'm crossing my fingers so tightly right now that I'm getting bruises on my fingers.

Hopefully, Smith can heal properly and quickly to the point in having him for a post-season run. Obviously, we have hope since this is being addressed as not putting him on IR.

FINGERS CROSSED! Get well soon, big man.:helmet:

Fire Arians
10-26-2010, 08:20 PM
HE WILL BE BACK FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!I hope,feel bad for the guy,you know he was excited to be back,it showed on the field.Get well soon bro...

http://packerwatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/mora-playoffs.png?w=466&h=361

PLAYOFFS?

ZoneBlitzer
10-26-2010, 09:47 PM
The title of this thread got me excited for a second...

steeltheone
10-27-2010, 03:01 AM
http://packerwatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/mora-playoffs.png?w=466&h=361

PLAYOFFS?

haha Funny!

Rick5895
10-27-2010, 06:12 AM
It wold be great if Smith can come back, but the problem here is who do we release to sign someone to take Aaron's place.
Interesting article in the Trib today on this issue. We can't let this issue become a double hit with cutting a young corner or quality special teams guy.
I think the odd man out here would be Batch. It would make more sense to cut Batch. As well as he did with us in Ben's absence he would be valuable to keep involved in the organization if we had to we could resign him as a QB. We have El to use as an emergency 3rd QB.

lionslicer
10-27-2010, 08:02 AM
If it was only a partial tear he could be back final weeks of the season. I think a 1 armed Smith is better than Eason or Hood.

NYC_Steeler
10-27-2010, 09:31 AM
If it was only a partial tear he could be back final weeks of the season. I think a 1 armed Smith is better than Eason or Hood.

Let's give Ziggy a little time - he hasn't really played much and is still learning. The general consensus about Ziggy from alot of scouts is that given time, he will be a beast. You have to walk before you can run.

That said, I definitely hope Aaron gets healthy quickly and comes back early - if he can get back in for the last 3-4 games of the season, that would be an absolute Godsend - unrealistic, but nevertheless, an extremely desired early Xmas present..

mikegrimey
10-27-2010, 09:57 AM

That's just hyperbolic. Aaron with 1 arm isn't good for anything except lockeroom morale.
I'm hoping Smith can come back too but your blank dismissal of Hood's potential isn't fair. Give the guy a little time. This is the first year Timmons has really played "to potential" and it's his 4th, it's only Hood's 2nd. I don't expect him to be as good as Smith either but hopefully he grows on the go while playing for us, at least were replacing Smith with a 1st rounder rather than some guy in FA off the scrap heaps.

ricardisimo
10-27-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm posting here, rather than in a new thread, half hoping no one notices this little bit of sacrilege from me. I feel I just have to ask: Could Aaron Smith be a doper? I noticed in a lot of the threads about Merriman people pointing out that his doping over-developed his build and contributed to his being injury-prone. I also know that the 'roids will give you some acne, and a large head. I stared at this photo (http://lh5.ggpht.com/_TYMcGBb8KUw/SJkYSDwX6VI/AAAAAAAAB-c/MY-J_ubSB1g/DSC00237.JPG) for a while and I couldn't help but wonder. :noidea:

As an aside, look at his fingers in that photo, and tell me if he just took some really tight gloves off, or if he has had extensive surgery to every joint in his hand.

MattsMe
10-28-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm posting here, rather than in a new thread, half hoping no one notices this little bit of sacrilege from me. I feel I just have to ask: Could Aaron Smith be a doper? I noticed in a lot of the threads about Merriman people pointing out that his doping over-developed his build and contributed to his being injury-prone. I also know that the 'roids will give you some acne, and a large head. I stared at this photo (http://lh5.ggpht.com/_TYMcGBb8KUw/SJkYSDwX6VI/AAAAAAAAB-c/MY-J_ubSB1g/DSC00237.JPG) for a while and I couldn't help but wonder. :noidea:

As an aside, look at his fingers in that photo, and tell me if he just took some really tight gloves off, or if he has had extensive surgery to every joint in his hand.

I think he just had the tape taken off his hands when that picture was taken. I hope he just had the tape taken off his hands.

As for the roids, who knows? I would like to think our Steelers don't do that shit, but the reality is we'll never know unless one of them is busted. It's not exactly a secret that many, if not most, of today's players are chemically enhanced versions of their predecessors.

wootawnee
10-28-2010, 12:44 AM

Dude your a Troll...............

MasterOfPuppets
10-28-2010, 12:45 AM
:toofunny:

tony hipchest
10-28-2010, 12:47 AM

As an aside, look at his fingers in that photo, and tell me if he just took some really tight gloves off, or if he has had extensive surgery to every joint in his hand.its possible just about every player juiced in HS or college.

however the steelers have a squeaky clean record when it comes to testing, and i suspect they are prone to more "random" tests than the average team.

they shitcanned santonio for smokin a lil doobage. im sure the rest of the team knows that if they are caught they are gone.

for a split second i thought the same when aaron had an arm injury for the 3rd time in 4 years.

but it is an arm injury. its not a hammy, and its not random muscles/soft tissue. if he were juicing it would be.

aaron is a big man, but he isnt a freakish mound of chiseled muscle. he is a grizzled vet, and the constant arm injuries tell me he fights against larger, younger, faster competition every year, while he gets older.

his heart, will, and "want to" are slightly exceeding his physical capabilities.

this isnt saying he is too old or that the game has passed him by. he is a classic overachiever, and instead of giving 110% on every play it is time to just give 100%. :noidea:

thats my theory.

tony hipchest
10-28-2010, 12:49 AM

MattsMe
10-28-2010, 12:56 AM

SteelCityMom
10-28-2010, 10:08 AM

You're all a bunch of trolls.............

lionslicer
10-28-2010, 10:23 AM

The thing about Merriman is his head has actually shrunk lol. Smith has a rather odd shapped head in general, and his face would be more swollen than it is.

Injury prone from steriods is completely different areas of your body also. Bones tend to be a lot more tender and break more easily, and leg muscles give out a lot quicker. Aaron as a big body, and I don't recall him having any bone or leg problems except for a knee injury a couple years back.

Most of his injuries have been in his upper arms that many seem to account to his long arms and how he usually tackles by reaching his arm out while still on a block and grabbing a runner.

ricardisimo
10-28-2010, 10:31 AM

You're all a bunch of trolls.............
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/trolls.jpg

ricardisimo
10-28-2010, 10:37 AM
There is simply no sneaking past this guy's Spidey-senses. I'm going to have to hang it up if I can't somehow adapt my trollishness to modern times.

In the meantime, I'm inclined to believe that Tony's right, although, like the guy asked in that documentary two years ago about juicing: Is it really cheating if everyone is doing it? And everyone is doing it.

And, yeah, Aaron's head is more odd than large, but the acne's definitely there. Who knows? :noidea:

Atlanta Dan
10-29-2010, 04:41 PM
its possible just about every player juiced in HS or college.

however the steelers have a squeaky clean record when it comes to testing, and i suspect they are prone to more "random" tests than the average team.

they shitcanned santonio for smokin a lil doobage. im sure the rest of the team knows that if they are caught they are gone.

for a split second i thought the same when aaron had an arm injury for the 3rd time in 4 years.

but it is an arm injury. its not a hammy, and its not random muscles/soft tissue. if he were juicing it would be.

aaron is a big man, but he isnt a freakish mound of chiseled muscle. he is a grizzled vet, and the constant arm injuries tell me he fights against larger, younger, faster competition every year, while he gets older.

his heart, will, and "want to" are slightly exceeding his physical capabilities.

this isnt saying he is too old or that the game has passed him by. he is a classic overachiever, and instead of giving 110% on every play it is time to just give 100%. :noidea:

thats my theory.

Recalling the biceps tear in 2007 and this latest injury also made me ponder whether Aaron Smith is juicing (recurring muscle tears are a symptom of steroid use although of course not all muscle/tendon tears are caused by steroid use) - I certainly cannot know the answer but it is not an outlandish question

Agreed Santonio got canned for the weed, but weed does not enhance performance - steroids of course are a PED

Bill Simmons goes there (I do not take this as Simmons the Pats Fan taking a shot at the Steelers - it is Goodell he is shooting at).

Hey, Sheriff Goodell? Instead of overreacting to hard hits to prove to everyone that you want to reduce concussions and make the game safer, why don't you start investigating why your athletes routinely tear biceps and triceps muscles (like Pittsburgh's Aaron Smith did last Sunday)?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/week8picks&sportCat=nfl

I am cynical enough to believe that the 350 pound lineman and the 6'2 260 lb linebackers who run 4.6 40s that populate the league have not all gotten that way simply through hitting the weight room and good nutrition

To end on lighter note, Simmons also has these lines in today's picks column:

Prediction: NBC's cameras will be panning the crowd coming out of a timeout, inadvertently catch a Saints fan wearing a horribly inappropriate Ben Roethlisberger Halloween costume, accidentally linger on this person for two seconds too long ... and this brief clip will get three million views on YouTube the next day.

and this one

"Just decided I was going to be Roger Goodell for Halloween. I'm going to wear a suit, complain about everybody drinking too much, but make the party last two hours longer than it should so people will just drink more!":chuckle:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/week8picks&sportCat=nfl