PDA

View Full Version : N.O. losing to Browns = likely loss for Pgh this week

thumper
10-26-2010, 12:59 PM
It happens so often: once a good (current world champs) lose to
an underdog team, the next week, that upset team is hyper focused
and ready to hunt bear. To compile matters further, the game is a national, night time
affair, in their house.

If the Saints were like Dallas - a broke team without chemistry or leadership -
these factors might not matter. But as it is, I believe Brees and company still
have pride and still think they can contend, hence, we are going to get
their best game. Add in that Pgh has been flying high mostly all year, it's
probably time for a down performance.

The NFL has so much to do with timing. N.O. got caught looking past the
Browns and now we are going to have to deal with it. I'm not saying this
is a definite loss, but it is more likely than not. And if they do drop this
one, I won't panic a bit over it. It's just the ebb and flow of the NFL. Look
at the Giants: they started 1-2 and everyone was saying they were dead
and it was time for Coughlin to go. Now everyone is saying they are the
best team in the NFC. People always overreact from the first 3 weeks.

Dallas is done. Stick a fork in them. That's what you end up if you
don't have a real head coach with real head coaching duties and
if you have no leaders on the roster. Talent alone won't get you jack
shizzle.

tony hipchest
10-26-2010, 01:04 PM
i dont believe in hocus pocus.

theplatypus
10-26-2010, 01:15 PM
In case you haven't been paying attention the Browns have been playing far better than their record indicates. I don't think the Saints overlooked the Browns at all. The Saints haven't been playing very well and the Browns came out and smacked the shit out them.

Atlanta Dan
10-26-2010, 01:23 PM
It happens so often: once a good (current world champs) lose to
an underdog team, the next week, that upset team is hyper focused
and ready to hunt bear. To compile matters further, the game is a national, night time
affair, in their house. .

Because we all know the Browns were road kill after a fired up defending champs Steelers team lost at home to a mediocre Oakland team last year and then had a chance to take out its frustrations on the Browns:chuckle:

If I were betting I would take the Saints but before "looking past" the Browns the Saints lost at home to the Falcons and played a mediocre game in the home season opener against Brett Favre and the Minnesota Titanic.

Add that to a road loss to the Cardinals plus a sketchy road win in San Francisco and I have flashbacks to the 2006 and 2009 Steelers when I watch the Saints this year.

DoubleYoi
10-26-2010, 01:33 PM
In case you haven't been paying attention the Browns have been playing far better than their record indicates. I don't think the Saints overlooked the Browns at all. The Saints haven't been playing very well and the Browns came out and smacked the shit out them.

Couldn't agree more. You don't "look past a team" when you're the defending Super Bowl champs and are in a dogfight within you're own division. The Falcons and Saints were tied (with the head-to-head tiebreaker going to Atlanta) heading into last weekend and there's a permanent bullseye on the Saints being the World Champs. Peyton Hillis has lit a match under that team and they're not laying down for anyone. The Saints defense is suspect at best right now and without Reggie Bush, their offense is much easier to dissect.

The Steelers should be able to run wild on the Saints D. Hopefully Reggie Bush doesn't play and the Steelers can focus on their pass coverage that much more too. I look for the Steelers to win a relatively close, hard-fought game. I'll say 27-23.

Lady Steel
10-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Every team on the Steelers' schedule is ready to hunt bear when playing the Steelers. All in a day's work for the Black 'n Gold.

jjpro11
10-26-2010, 01:59 PM
how many times did we find ourselves saying the same thing last year, only to come out next week and blow another game? the Saints are the Steelers last year. looking ahead to us or not, the Saints haven't looked good all year. i am not saying we will win or lose.. but it's not like the Steelers won't be up for this game. it's their first night game of the season. how do we know the Steelers weren't looking past Miami a bit last week?

steelerchad
10-26-2010, 02:05 PM
how many times did we find ourselves saying the same thing last year, only to come out next week and blow another game? the Saints are the Steelers last year. looking ahead to us or not, the Saints haven't looked good all year. i am not saying we will win or lose.. but it's not like the Steelers won't be up for this game. it's their first night game of the season. how do we know the Steelers weren't looking past Miami a bit last week?

I agree here. We will be ready. As a team, we played our worst game of the season thus far and were able to leave with the W. Browns are better than they are getting credit for.

thumper
10-26-2010, 02:25 PM

The Browns were "in" almost every game they played, yes. But they were
still a one-win team. And they are still "the Browns." I am sure the Saints
weren't walking around, saying that the game was an easy win and all
they had to do was show up. I am sure they said and acted in all the right
ways as you would if you thought you had a serious challenge ahead of
you. But if you asked the Saints privately, and they gave you sincere
answers, do you really think they thought they would lose to the Browns
at home?

We saw firsthand, how quickly a Super Bowl winning team can turn to shit
(as in last year). Maybe the Saints are suffering from that same thing. But,
the still have the nucleus of a champ and if they come out focused, knowing
they are home on prime time TV, we will likely be facing a formidable team.

TailgateMel
10-26-2010, 02:31 PM
. how do we know the Steelers weren't looking past Miami a bit last week?

I agree with this...

The Steelers were playing very sloppy at the beginning of the game last week, and I'm sure the D is going to be psyched to be up to the task to man up.

Ben, I'm sure, would like to have a better game than the last one.

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio last night, and they were discussing the fact that N.O. has a problem in that they are one-dimensional without a real running game... which allows for a lot of pass rush pressure. Time for Ziggy to step up.. yes, we will sorely miss Aaron Smith.. but, he wasn't going to be here forever folks...

Everyone is going on about now NO is going to be psyched.. how about the STEELERS being psyched.. there are going to be a BAZILLION Steeler fans there waving towels.. trust me, it seems like half the burgh is headed down there, and that doesn't even account for all the out-of-towners that will make the trip too!

The last few games for the Saints have not been that impressive.
- Got smacked by the Browns
- Won against Tampa Bay (big whoop.. we smacked them just as hard)
- LOST to Arizona!
- Squeeked by a win vs. CAROLINA! 16-14

I am not content with saying "oh.. well.. if we lose.. whatever, we were due"... and I'm sure Mike Tomlin isn't either - just as he wasn't content with premise of 2-2 as a best case scenario with Ben out of the picture, as most of the media / Steelers Fans were at the beginning of the season.

Raw Steel
10-26-2010, 02:33 PM
1. The Saints can't run the ball.
2. They miss Reggie Bush's presence on offense. He creates matchup issues.
3. When you win a Super Bowl, everything goes right. You get the bounces. You get the calls. You stay healthy. It's hard to do two straight years.

The Saints can beat the Steelers but it won't be because they lost to the Browns.

pancake
10-26-2010, 02:42 PM
3. When you win a Super Bowl, everything goes right. You get the bounces. You get the calls. You stay healthy. It's hard to do two straight years.

The Saints can beat the Steelers but it won't be because they lost to the Browns.

Good post. :thumbsup:

thumper
10-26-2010, 02:49 PM
We will see. I will be happy to be all wrong and see Pgh destroy the Saints by 30.
There is no doubt that this isn't the same N.O. team as last year. But they still have
Brees and all those weapons. D is definitely not producing the turnovers they
did last year. The way to beat the 3-4 is with a potent passing attack. I believe
the Saints can still toss the rock; they are 5th in passing O.

MasterOfPuppets
10-26-2010, 02:52 PM
are the saints going to "unleash hell" ? :doh:

thumper
10-26-2010, 03:15 PM
are the saints going to "unleash hell" ? :doh:

:toofunny:

DoubleYoi
10-26-2010, 03:15 PM
how do we know the Steelers weren't looking past Miami a bit last week?

Not sure it's possible to look ahead when you're still focusing on what's behind you. The team and the entire football world was still engulfed in the whole illegal hit debate. If anything, I was worried that they didn't focus on their next opponent (Miami) enough, let alone looking forward to their opponent two weeks in advance (New Orleans.)

I've heard "trap game" and "looking past a team" more this year than I have in recent memory. I'm not so sure the two are as relevant now as they were ten years ago. This is the ultimate parity league and every single team has a legitimate shot to win on any given Sunday.

Merchant
10-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Ben's gonna make it rain in that dome. Mark my words.

StainlessStill
10-26-2010, 06:36 PM

1. The Saints might not be able to run the ball, but they can certainly pass the ball! And our defense is suspect in the passing game and WILL give up the necc amount of yardage. No team tested the Steelers deep. Who do you think will? Drew Brees.

2. Reggie Bush is aiming to return this week. I say let him. He'll still be banged up and Brees will try to force it to him. I say we prey on that.

3. The Saints are quickly realizing that to defend the title that next year is extremely difficult. The target not only is on their back, but it's hard to keep that tempo the Saints had going for them last year, esp the takeaway ratio on defense. Looking like a flash in the pan, but their still scary.

With all of that said, we haven't been in that atmosphere with noise YET this season and the Saints will be out to prove they are still for real. That makes them dangerous, in their building, on Halloween night.

The writing is on the wall that we drop one soon, and this might be the perfect one to drop. I say we lose a close one and the come back just in time to spank Cincy!

thumper
10-26-2010, 06:45 PM
The writing is on the wall that we drop one soon, and this might be the perfect one to drop. I say we lose a close one and the come back just in time to spank Cincy!

Plus it's a non -division, non-conference game. I never want to lose
but all things considered, if you have to lose some - and you do - this
is a good one to drop. That environment is going to be frenetic. National night
games away are often the most difficult to win, especially when the opp.
feels like they have something to prove and "aren't being respected" enough.
I've seen this movie before.

Fire Arians
10-26-2010, 06:46 PM
cleveland is better than their record says

mikegrimey
10-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Even though Cleveland is better than their record, and they have a competetive team, no need to mention their vastly improved defense, the Saints meltdown against them, specifically Drew Brees agonizing performance, has to be seen as a freak NFL anygivensunday thing. Even had I known about the Browns pulling off that crazy upset, I would have never believed the accurate low turnover Brees would have chucked 4 INTs.

Like many others in here I can see this game going either way. I do not think the Saints will be an easy win, mostly because of how Chad Henne was able to take up chunks of yardage on our D via short-middle passes last week. We stayed in the game and eventually came out on top in part because Henne couldn't convert when it counted, Brees is a lot better and should fair better at finding quick openings in our D where Henne failed.

We need a better pass rush or it may be a long day, I don't expect Brees to hit a lot of deep balls on us, but I think he'll be good at getting rid of the ball to the open guy.

wootawnee
10-26-2010, 08:34 PM
i dont believe in hocus pocus.

Abra cadabra

thumper
10-27-2010, 12:55 PM
cleveland is better than their record says

Maybe. But they are who we thought they were.

thumper
10-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Even though Cleveland is better than their record, and they have a competetive team, no need to mention their vastly improved defense, the Saints meltdown against them, specifically Drew Brees agonizing performance, has to be seen as a freak NFL anygivensunday thing. Even had I known about the Browns pulling off that crazy upset, I would have never believed the accurate low turnover Brees would have chucked 4 INTs.

Like many others in here I can see this game going either way. I do not think the Saints will be an easy win, mostly because of how Chad Henne was able to take up chunks of yardage on our D via short-middle passes last week. We stayed in the game and eventually came out on top in part because Henne couldn't convert when it counted, Brees is a lot better and should fair better at finding quick openings in our D where Henne failed.

We need a better pass rush or it may be a long day, I don't expect Brees to hit a lot of deep balls on us, but I think he'll be good at getting rid of the ball to the open guy.

If Henne can go down the field at will (at times) I'm gonna hate to see what Brees can do.

DoubleYoi
10-27-2010, 01:05 PM
If Henne can go down the field at will (at times) I'm gonna hate to see what Brees can do.

Apples and oranges. The Steelers at least had to respect Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. If Reggie doesn't play, the Steelers D should be able to get considerable pressure on Brees, or at least I hope. Yeah, Brees should have his share of success against our secondary but you can't look at Henne's performance as a strong indicator.

thumper
10-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Apples and oranges. The Steelers at least had to respect Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. If Reggie doesn't play, the Steelers D should be able to get considerable pressure on Brees, or at least I hope. Yeah, Brees should have his share of success against our secondary but you can't look at Henne's performance as a strong indicator.

I don't see how it's apples and oranges. Henne had too much
time to find an open receiver and I believe Brees will as well. Saints
haven't had much of a rushing attack, but some teams don't need
much of one. Wasn't Indy near dead last in rushing last year? They
went to the Super Bowl.

DoubleYoi
10-27-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't see how it's apples and oranges. Henne had too much
time to find an open receiver and I believe Brees will as well. Saints
haven't had much of a rushing attack, but some teams don't need
much of one. Wasn't Indy near dead last in rushing last year? They
went to the Super Bowl.

Apples and oranges in the sense that they're two completely different styles of offense. Miami has a much more balanced attack while New Orleans is mostly a downfield attack, especially if Bush doesn't dress. LeBeau should be able to create some blitz schemes that are designed to pressure Brees and not worry too much about what their RBs are doing. Don't really have that luxury against a team like Miami who has some proven playmakers in Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams.

The Steelers secondary has given up big chunks of yards this year but it mostly happens in one of two scenarios. Either they've really had to respect the run or the yards were given up in the prevent defense while they held a multi-score lead, or both. The former was the case against Atlanta, Tennessee, Baltimore and Miami while the latter was the case against Tennessee and Cleveland.

Bress should be able to have success against the defense but I don't think it's a direct correlation to what Henne and the Dolphins offense did.