PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin & Belichick Tell League Office To Screw Itself

Atlanta Dan
10-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Goodell's henchman Ray Anderson came out with these pompous observations after this past Sunday's games:

"We like to think we're off to a good start in terms of the new emphasis and the recognition that we are going to play aggressively but well within the rules," Anderson said. "It's a good start."...

"There certainly was one play, on a hit on a running back, that James Harrison may have taken a shot at the running back going down, and Harrison let up," Anderson said. "I think he acknowledged he let up when had a chance to put his head and helmet in there. I applaud James for restraining himself."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5725918

Two coaches have returned fire:chuckle:

Patriots coach Bill Belichick was surprised to hear about Anderson's praise.

"I think that would be a first for me," Belichick said Monday. "The officials are now evaluating the players and their performance. No, I mean that's great."

He then paused several seconds before adding: "I can't tell you how much that means to me, really," drawing laughter from a room full of reporters.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5725918

Coach Tomlin most definitely shot back today

"If I appear short, it's because it's somewhat insulting to me to assume that we're doing anything under any normal circumstances other than trying to play within the rules. That's how our guys play, that's how we coach. No. 1, first and foremost, is it conducive to winning? That's what our intentions are when we step into stadiums to play, whether it's last weekend of three weeks ago or a month ago. Or a month from now."

As for Anderson's praise, Tomlin said, "It would be tough for me to care less about their opinion, to be honest with you."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5730986

If comments such as these and the statement by Art Rooney II are being made on the record, IMO Goodell is getting an earful in private.

Unfortunately, I disagree with Coach Tomlin- both James Harrison and Troy appeared to pull up on tackles they normally would make this past Sunday

tony hipchest
10-26-2010, 08:48 PM
As for Anderson's praise, Tomlin said, "It would be tough for me to care less about their opinion, to be honest with you."

im glad someone in the "upper ranks" said it.

JEFF4i
10-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Nice, and one of the few times I like Belicheat.

mikegrimey
10-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Belichick is hilarious, wish I had seen that, I would have been laughing right along with the reporters.

mulldog24
10-26-2010, 09:34 PM
It may not be long before coaches and players alike are screaming ANARCHY!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

lionslicer
10-26-2010, 09:47 PM
I remember when Arena Football started to get more attention, it was actually on tv for a bit, then a new Commissioner took over the league, and it soon declined and then there was a lockout, and now you're lucky to even hear about arena football.

I can see this happening to the NFL if they don't change what they are doing.

Steelers>NFL
10-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Say what we want or think about Belicheat, but he does have some good one liners in his pc sometimes.

Atlanta Dan
10-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Because I had never heard of Ray Anderson I figured out it might be helpful to find out exactly what skill set he has that entitles him to divine what conduct is proper in a NFL game and to whom that task was assigned previously. Part of the problem the coaches and players may have with Mr. Andrson and his arrogance is the background Ray Anderson brings to his job when compared to the talents of his predecessors.

Turns out (no surprise here) Anderson is part of the gaggle of attorneys that populate the league office. Anderson was an All League (!) high school quarterback and played college ball at Stanford (he lettered!), but after graduating from law school was a labor lawyer and agent (high profile clients were NFL coaches) until he joined the Falcons front office in 2002 and the NFL in 2006. Not a lot of hands on experience for what goes on between the lines in a NFL game.there.

Anderson is the successor to Art Shell (former NFL coach and Hall of Fame NFL player) as the NFL Senior Vice President for Football Operations. Although Anderson now passes out judgment as well as fines for alleged player misconduct, that responsibility was handled for years by former NFL Director of Football Opeartions Gene Washington (4 time All Pro for 49ers during 10 year career - 60 career TDs) until Washington left the league office in 2009.

So the coaches and players now answer to an attorney who is probably focused on potential league liability issues (Chad Henning had a good take on that perspective during an interview with Peter King) as opposed to a player with some major accomplishments in the NFL to whom the players could not play the "you have no idea what it is like out there" card when challenging a fine.

Too bad Goodell cannot find some accomplished player to handle this task (I wonder how hard he has looked?) rather than an agent/attorney.

wootawnee
10-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Because I had never heard of Ray Anderson I figured out it might be helpful to find out exactly what skill set he has that entitles him to divine what conduct is proper in a NFL game and to whom that task was assigned previously. Part of the problem the coaches and players may have with Mr. Andrson and his arrogance is the background Ray Anderson brings to his job when compared to the talents of his predecessors.

Turns out (no surprise here) Anderson is part of the gaggle of attorneys that populate the league office. Anderson was an All League (!) high school quarterback and played college ball at Stanford (he lettered!), but after graduating from law school was a labor lawyer and agent (high profile clients were NFL coaches) until he joined the Falcons front office in 2002 and the NFL in 2006. Not a lot of hands on experience for what goes on between the lines in a NFL game.there.

Anderson is the successor to Art Shell (former NFL coach and Hall of Fame NFL player) as the NFL Senior Vice President for Football Operations. Although Anderson now passes out judgment as well as fines for alleged player misconduct, that responsibility was handled for years by former NFL Director of Football Opeartions Gene Washington (4 time All Pro for 49ers during 10 year career - 60 career TDs) until Washington left the league office in 2009.

So the coaches and players now answer to an attorney who is probably focused on potential league liability issues (Chad Henning had a good take on that perspective during an interview with Peter King) as opposed to a player with some major accomplishments in the NFL to whom the players could not play the "you have no idea what it is like out there" card when challenging a fine.

Too bad Goodell cannot find some accomplished player to handle this task (I wonder how hard he has looked?) rather than an agent/attorney.

Ok Atlanta Dan............How much experience of on field stuff does you and everyone else on this board have?..............

Football is football when you know you just know buddy..........

But hear this.......There are going to be some changes around the league in the way things are going..........Childress just got fined for using his freedom of speech about the bad call in the endzone sunday night........And people throughout the league are tired of these civil rights violations..............Things are gonna change around this "slave" league.......

Atlanta Dan
10-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Ok Atlanta Dan............How much experience of on field stuff does you and everyone else on this board have?..............

But hear this.......There are going to be some changes around the league in the way things are going..........Childress just got fined for using his freedom of speech about the bad call in the endzone sunday night........And people throughout the league are tired of these civil rights violations..............Things are gonna change around this "slave" league.......

I guess you missed my point (unless you are being sarcastic - there used to be a request for a sarcasm icon we can use)

Anderson does not have to explain himself to me and those of us on this board are not passing out fines - if I am being disciplined for violating the standards of my profession I would prefer to have someone who has actually practiced the profession making that call, not a NFL player - the converse equally applies - my bet is NFL players being fined give more credibility to the decisions of someone who has been "in the arena" and has an appreciation for the speed and violence wiith which the game is played at the professional level making the call, which probably had something to do with Gene Washington making those calls for years, as opposed to having an agent/attorney tell them how the game should be played - hence Tomlin says he "could not care less" what Anderson thinks about how his players performed last Sunday

MattsMe
10-27-2010, 02:10 PM

"How to Write Like a Wanker" http://www.guidenet.net/resources/wanker.html

2. Overuse Mutated Ellipses.
Never use a comma, a dash, a (semi)colon, or a period. If you absolutely must punctuate---to end what would otherwise pass for a sentence, for instance---toss in either two, or four (or more) dots as an "ellipsis". This will come across as lazy, gutless, and flippant all at once: pure wanker.

http://efficientawesomeness.com/blog/2007/09/21/the-arbitrary-over-use-of-the-ellipsis-dots-on-the-internet/

No matter what the implication of a string of 15 periods is meant to be, when I see it, and you write it, there’s only one way I interpret it: you’re an asshole.

As for your "slave league" comment, please. Get the **** over yourself already.

brett favre

ricardisimo
10-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Maybe it's just the troll in me, but I found that hysterical, insightful and invigorating........... Thanks yooo...........

tony hipchest
10-27-2010, 05:56 PM

brett favre

:toofunny: thats great... i almost thought you made that up there for a minute.

oh wait....

1. Structure.
Just as every house needs a foundation, every brilliantly immature net text is built on a strong structure of ignorance, sloth, and mindless misguided belligerence. You cannot afford to ignore this section.

Don't capitalize.
Hey, if it made e.e. cummings look like a visionary, surely it'll do the same for you, right? Wrong. It makes you look like a lazy ****wit. (Unless you demonstrate that you can use the shift key: for instance, by using characters that demand it, like double quotes. Then it makes you look like a pretentious ****wit.) Even if you somehow manage to pull off the no-caps style with grace and flair, the best impression you will make is that of a ****wit admirer of e.e. cummings. That puts you one up on ninety-eight percent of the Internet, but you're still a ****wit.

:doh:

fer522
10-27-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
2. Overuse Mutated Ellipses.
Never use a comma, a dash, a (semi)colon, or a period. If you absolutely must punctuate---to end what would otherwise pass for a sentence, for instance---toss in either two, or four (or more) dots as an "ellipsis". This will come across as lazy, gutless, and flippant all at once: pure wanker.

http://efficientawesomeness.com/blog...-the-internet/

Quote:
No matter what the implication of a string of 15 periods is meant to be, when I see it, and you write it, there’s only one way I interpret it: you’re an asshole.

As for your "slave league" comment, please. Get the **** over yourself already.

is this the steelers forum? or is this english class?
i think im in the wrong forum, but just in case GO STEELERS
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

MattsMe
10-27-2010, 06:04 PM

oh wait....

:toofunny:

Maybe Nigel was right. Didn't he call you a wanker a few times?

(I have to confess to not reading the whole article before quoting it.)

tony hipchest
10-27-2010, 06:15 PM
:toofunny:

Maybe Nigel was right. Didn't he call you a wanker a few times?

(I have to confess to not reading the whole article before quoting it.)no, but im pretty sure revefstard called me a "pretentious f&(%wit a few times....

:sofunny:

ricardisimo
10-27-2010, 06:20 PM

oh wait....

I'm not entirely sure, but I think Matt is, in fact, the author of that particular discourse................. Matt, would you like to take ownership, or no?

MattsMe
10-27-2010, 06:21 PM
:chuckle:

So in related news, I think Tomlin's comments are awesome. I won't be surprised if der commissioner comes down hard with his mighty pimp hand though.

As for Belicheat, the man could capture Osama Bin Laden and cure cancer while coaching the patriots* to their 10th Super Bowl, and I still wouldn't give a shit what he had to say.

MattsMe
10-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think Matt is, in fact, the author of that particular discourse................. Matt, would you like to take ownership, or no?

I wish. As I said above, I hadn't even read it. That doesn't really mean anything though. I never read anything I write..............

ricardisimo
10-27-2010, 06:25 PM

I wish. As I said above, I hadn't even read it. That doesn't really mean anything though. I never read anything I write..............
neither does anybody else, matt..................... :hatsoff:

MattsMe
10-27-2010, 06:31 PM
neither does anybody else, matt..................... :hatsoff:

Zing!!!!1!

3. Overuse Exclamation and Question Marks.
Nothing shows your reader how serious you are better than five or six exclamation marks at the end of a sentence.............If anything that should have been an exclamation mark actually comes out as the numeral '1', you can be sure that your reader thinks you are a wanker.