PDA

View Full Version : NFL's crackdown on hits a touchy subject for Tomlin

mesaSteeler
10-26-2010, 11:04 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_706214.html

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

NFL's crackdown on hits a touchy subject for Tomlin

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin touched on a wide range of subjects Tuesday at his weekly news conference, and one of them clearly irked him: how the NFL's crackdown on illegal helmet-to-helmet hits impacted the Steelers' win in Miami.

"It's somewhat insulting to me to assume that we're doing anything other than trying to play within the rules," Tomlin said. "That's how our guys play, that's how we coach, first and foremost, because it's conducive to winning."

NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson praised James Harrison for the restraint the outside linebacker showed in the Steelers' 23-22 win.

Anderson lauded Harrison for pulling up after a reception by Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown early in the fourth quarter. That was the only play, Harrison said, that tougher enforcement of a rule prohibiting above-the-shoulder hits on defenseless players affected him.

Anderson is in charge of the NFL's on-the-field discipline, and the league fined Harrison $75,000 last week for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

When asked about Anderson's recent comments, Tomlin said, "It would be tough for me to care (even) less about their opinion."

With player safety still a hot topic in the NFL, Tomlin offered his take on how the league can improve in that area.

"We talk about player safety, and yet we don't blow whistles at the end of plays," Tomlin said. "That's been one of my contentions: the de-emphasis on the whistle in the National Football League, and I don't agree with it."

Tomlin's take

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on:

The Steelers' No. 24 NFL ranking in passing defense (235.7 yards per game):

"I'm not overly concerned with stats. When people are behind and they can't run the football, they're probably going to throw the football on you, and they're probably going to pick up yards. The thing that's most exciting is that we don't allow people to score touchdowns. I'm less concerned with what stats may tell us because we all know in many instances they lie."

If the timing of playing against Saints quarterback Drew Brees is bad, because the four-time Pro Bowler is coming off a four-interception game:

"Like in most instances when you're talking about a quality football team or competitor you'd much rather have him throw four touchdowns, but we have no control over that. Ultimately, at the end of the day, those things are irrelevant if we're focused on the opportunity that's going to be in front of us Sunday night."

Saints running back Reggie Bush, who is on track to return from a broken leg against the Steelers:

"He's a dynamic playmaker not only in the running game but in the passing game. You've got to acknowledge how he's able to change the game, not only offensively but in the punt return game. Reggie Bush is a special, special player."

The ruling near the end of the game against the Dolphins, after quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's lost fumble in the end zone:

"We were aware of the rule as that situation was unfolding. They've got to have a clear recovery for the defensive unit in order to award that ball to them in situations such as that. Whether it's down by contact or breaking the plane of the goal line they need clear recovery, and (the Dolphins) didn't have it."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

steelersalaska
10-27-2010, 02:38 AM
Coach Tomlin.... reads it like he coaches it... if it's possible, he gets even more respect from me. He's showing that no matter who it is, if they play by his rules, he got their back.

Everyone on this team will have a better... harder hitting showing against N.O. Silverback plays with huge pride and getting his head patted by Anderson should p*** him off to no end.

No matter who starts on Sunday night there will be no drop in expectations.

Pittsburgh by 7.

Fire Haley
10-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Personally, I love that the Steelers are the most hated team in the league

we have the dirtiest receiver, Ward

we have the dirtiest LB, Harrison

and we have the most hated QB, Big Ben

Bad Boyz

What's not to love?

MasterOfPuppets
10-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Personally, I love that the Steelers are the most hated team in the league