PDA

View Full Version : Pull out all the stops vs Saints: trick plays

NYC_Steeler
10-27-2010, 11:11 AM
The team has to be creative in their gameplan, doing the same thing over and over again can only get you so far.

How about the one from SB XL - ARE to Ward? Fake a reverse to the right or left with ARE with Ben blocking for him while Wallace and Brown are streaking down the sidelines and have ARE heave it to either of them.

Another would be a flea flicker - Mendy flips it to Ben who then heaves it to a streaking Wallace or Brown. You really have to sell the run though - can't be half-arsed.

Both of these require good protection though - wihout it, the plays are dead.

Any other ideas for trick plays - that make sense and are not "over the top"?

theplatypus
10-27-2010, 11:36 AM
They used Moore on a nice half back pass once last season.

DoubleYoi
10-27-2010, 11:45 AM
I've always been a fan of trickery on special teams. Reverses, cross-field laterals and surprise onside kicks are huge game-changers. The Saints got gashed on special teams against the Browns this past week so I'm sure their kick-coverage units will be on high alert.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-27-2010, 12:00 PM
OR

They can just play football. Tight DEF, wide open Offense.

mikegrimey
10-27-2010, 01:26 PM
The Saints are by no means impossible to run on. I'm thinking we can have good success rushing the ball on first down against them, if we can, we can eat up a lot of clock and open up the offense to make it easier on Ben.

DoubleYoi
10-27-2010, 02:51 PM
The Saints are by no means impossible to run on. I'm thinking we can have good success rushing the ball on first down against them, if we can, we can eat up a lot of clock and open up the offense to make it easier on Ben.

They give up over 100 yards rushing on average but then again, so did Miami and we struggled mightily against them. Hopefully Mendy can get back to form and gash the Saints early and often. Being able to control the clock against Brees would be a huge advantage for the Steelers.

stb_steeler
10-27-2010, 06:18 PM
The team has to be creative in their gameplan, doing the same thing over and over again can only get you so far.

How about the one from SB XL - ARE to Ward? Fake a reverse to the right or left with ARE with Ben blocking for him while Wallace and Brown are streaking down the sidelines and have ARE heave it to either of them.

Another would be a flea flicker - Mendy flips it to Ben who then heaves it to a streaking Wallace or Brown. You really have to sell the run though - can't be half-arsed.

Both of these require good protection though - wihout it, the plays are dead.

Any other ideas for trick plays - that make sense and are not "over the top"?

We havent been good at trick plays since the Wiz was here.

urgle burgle
10-27-2010, 06:22 PM
no, we are super kick ass at reverses........like last game, and the one before that, and the one before that.
sweet.

MasterOfPuppets
10-27-2010, 06:29 PM
no, we are super kick ass at reverses........like last game, and the one before that, and the one before that.
sweet.
i can't help but think they keep running that useless reverse for a reason. maybe using it to set up another play. maybe even a pass from the receiver. :noidea:

urgle burgle
10-27-2010, 06:41 PM
i can't help but think they keep running that useless reverse for a reason. maybe using it to set up another play. maybe even a pass from the receiver. :noidea:

yeah....i think there is a reason for it... either to setup another play, or to stretch out the d. its just he keeps going to it at the most inoppertune times....maybe he is setting it up for another play for another game, this or next season. BA is crafty like that.

steelcity1974
10-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Arians can't get the simple play calls right....so I definitely don't want him getting all mad scientist on us.

steelerchad
10-28-2010, 09:05 AM

That reverse took us out of field goal range. A trick play is used for fooling a defense so you can get behind them. It seems kind of unneccessary when Mike Wallace can just run by them.
I'd game plan for at least 2 deep balls to Mike Wallace every game. At least 1 should be a TD.