PDA

View Full Version : Why is Ziggy Hood not getting any props?

pittguy578
10-27-2010, 12:33 PM
I know the injury to Aaron Smith is devastating, but everyone is making it seem like we have an undrafted free agent taking his place. Ziggy Hood is a First Round pick with a good pedigree and is probably in better physical shape than Smith and probably has a better motor. Why does everyone think there is going to be a significant drop off with Hood in there? Am I missing something?

ZoneBlitzer
10-27-2010, 12:51 PM
It's all on the tape. When I watch the guy I don't see someone who gets good penetration. Also, going by history every time Smith has been out, the drop off on D has been significant to say the least.

thumper
10-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Zig was tearing it up in the preseason; he looked like the monster the front
office thought he was when they drafted him in the first round. I am basing my
lack to total optimism on the fact that in the coaching staffs' eyes, he wasn't
good enough/ready enough to earn much playing time up until now. A first
round draft pick's play should demand playing time by his 2nd season. He hasn't
for some reason. I hope he proves the doubters wrong with awesome play. To
a man, all the players are saying Smith is the heart and soul of the D. If he is,
how do you replace that?

lionslicer
10-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Because he's black....

Not really..

Apparently he injured his ankle, and instead of resting a week to recover, he's been pushing through it in practice and games, probably making it worse.
He is a very strong player though, but he seems lost on the field, he lacks field awareness and play recognition. But I think he definatally has the potentional, lets hope its just been a slow start for him, maybe he'll come out this 2nd half of the season.

Fire Arians
10-27-2010, 03:03 PM
probably because he hasn't done anything yet, other than be a training camp warrior. he'll get his 'props' when he can do said amazing things in the game.

we ain't talking about practice, we talkin 'bout the game :P

ricardisimo
10-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I know the injury to Aaron Smith is devastating, but everyone is making it seem like we have an undrafted free agent taking his place. Ziggy Hood is a First Round pick with a good pedigree and is probably in better physical shape than Smith and probably has a better motor. Why does everyone think there is going to be a significant drop off with Hood in there? Am I missing something?
Given our history with undrafted free agents, it's not like that would be a bad thing, eh?

steeltheone
10-27-2010, 03:43 PM
It's all on the tape. When I watch the guy I don't see someone who gets good penetration. Also, going by history every time Smith has been out, the drop off on D has been significant to say the least.

In 2009 we gave up 89.9 yards rushing per game without Smith....In 2008 we gave up 80.2 yards per game rushing with Smith....Not much of a dropoff....The only dropoff we had is when number 43 was out...

steelcity1974
10-27-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't think there are 5 people in the NFL that can fill in for Aaron Smith without a drop off. He has set the bar very high. Hood will not be able to maintain it by himself. From what I've seen of Hood, my expectations are not very high...I think his legacy in PIT will eventually be "first round draft bust".

ricardisimo
10-27-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't think there are 5 people in the NFL that can fill in for Aaron Smith without a drop off. He has set the bar very high. Hood will not be able to maintain it by himself. From what I've seen of Hood, my expectations are not very high...I think his legacy in PIT will eventually be "first round draft bust".
You have no reason to think that. I'm sure you were saying the same about Timmons before this year. He might wind up being "competent, but uninspiring", but I sincerely doubt he will be an outright bust.

Merchant
10-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Come on now.. some of you are already predicting he'll be a bust after 1 season and 6 games?? He was a little raw coming out of Missouri, plus he had to make the switch from D-Tackle to 3-4 Defensive End. Give the guy some time.. geez. The entire coaching staff loves him, which wouldn't be the case if he wasn't making any progress. I hope he has a great game sunday in NO and shuts up all the critics.

Big
10-27-2010, 04:50 PM
He has a sprained ankle plain and simple.....that takes from him his power and speed...when he heals it'll be fine.

pittguy578
10-27-2010, 07:45 PM
I know. Get his ankle healed up. I know it will be hard to replace Smith..especially with his years of experience, but on pure physical skills..I think Hood is his equal. Hood is probably faster and stronger at this point.

steeltheone
10-27-2010, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=pittguy578;860009]I know. Get his ankle healed up. I know it will be hard to replace Smith..especially with his years of experience, but on pure physical skills..I think Hood is his equal. Hood is probably faster and stronger at this point.[/

We need faster... As good as our front is against the run, they are painfully slow against the pass.

steelcity1974
10-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Well, he's getting the start Sunday at NO, so a great chance to prove himself.

steelerdave1969
10-28-2010, 08:50 AM
All that I have seen so far with Ziggy is Is that he isnt good enough to surplant Kiesel or Smith or Eason. Eason? . . . C'mon Man atleast he should be able to out play Eason.

steelerdave1969
10-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Well, he's getting the start Sunday at NO, so a great chance to prove himself.

As far as I have heard so far . . there is nothing written in stone on this one.