PDA

View Full Version : Sanders aces test from the 'football gods'

mesaSteeler
10-27-2010, 08:41 PM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/10/27/sanders-aces-test-from-the-football-gods/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Sanders aces test from the 'football gods'
October 27th, 2010

Byron Leftwich didn’t play last Sunday in Miami.

But the backup quarterback should get credited with an assist in the Steelers’ 23-22 win at Sun Life Stadium.

It came right after rookie wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders lost a fumble on the opening kickoff.

“He basically just walked up to me and said, ‘Just let the play go. The football gods are testing you right now. Just be patient and another opportunity will come back up,’ ” Sanders recalled.

It did, and boy did Sanders respond.

His 48-yard kickoff return in the fourth quarter set up Jeff Reed’s game-winning field goal, a Sanders finished the game with 144 return yards, the second-most of any NFL player last week.

Wednesday he was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.

It marked the first time that a Steelers kick returner has won the award since Antwaan Randle El in 2003.

Sanders' performance probably ended the competition, at least for the foreseeable future, that he and Antonio Brown have waged on a weekly basis for the job of No. 4 wide receiver and kickoff returner.

But Sanders, who has dressed the last two weeks instead of Brown, said that is not necessarily the case.

“That competition’s still open,” Sanders said, “I don’t know if I’m playing or not (against the Saints). Mike Tomlin likes to keep the wide receivers room hot and he’s definitely doing that.”

Tomlin has Sanders and Brown -- the two are good friends off the field -- compete for one gameday roster spot every week in practice to make both of them better.

That strategy appears to be paying off for the Steelers.

As Sanders said, “When I fumbled the ball (against the Dolphins) I was like, ‘Man, I probably won’t be playing next week if I don’t get myself together and bounce back from the fumble.’ ”
Filed under: Steelers Comment (0)

MasterOfPuppets
10-27-2010, 09:19 PM
that's bullshit ... you got 2 guys that have contributed big plays when given the chance, with huge upside and potential , fighting for 1 spot , while there's 2 guys ( el , battle ) who have contributed next to nothing, with zero upside, dressing every week unchallenged....:banging:

lionslicer
10-27-2010, 10:28 PM
that's bullshit ... you got 2 guys that have contributed big plays when given the chance, with huge upside and potential , fighting for 1 spot , while there's 2 guys ( el , battle ) who have contributed next to nothing, with zero upside, dressing every week unchallenged....:banging:

i heard that Tomlin wants them to fight for the job, because when they get into the game, they'll play harder to keep the spot, other than El and Battle who pretty have been givin the jobs.

LVSteelersfan
10-27-2010, 11:52 PM
I know it won't happen but El or Battle need to be dropped because of the Aaron Smith thing. El is not proving worth much at all on punt returns. He has caught a few passes but Sanders has shown he can do that as well. Sanders and Brown are both almost as fast as Wallace. They should all be out there at the same time. No way they can cover them all.

MasterOfPuppets
10-28-2010, 12:06 AM
so far this season, battle is averaging about 1 million dollars per tackle. :thumbsup:

ricardisimo
10-28-2010, 12:29 AM
so far this season, battle is averaging about 1 million dollars per tackle. :thumbsup:
I wonder if it's as simple as that? Is it simply embarrassing to cut a guy that you're going to have to pay anyhow, literally at the rate of $1,000,000 per ST tackle?

I don't see any reason to cut El. He came up with some clutch catches earlier in the year when his number was called, which is why you keep wily veterans on your roster; they show the rooks how to respond to pressure. Besides, I don't think he's making half what Battle is. Battle needs to be cut, no doubt.

jjpro11
10-28-2010, 12:35 AM
ARE has caught pretty much everything thrown his way.. Battle has yet to even see a pass and does next to nothing on ST. it's about the halfway point of the season... as for Brown and Sanders, these guys are no longer rookies.. practicing is part of their job and they shouldn't need any extra motivation to try harder. they're both good enough to play, so it's time to get them in there.

Fire Arians
10-28-2010, 12:50 AM
battle needs to go and brown given a spot. in his first action he took a td to the house. why this kid isn't even on the bench is quite maddening

MasterOfPuppets
10-28-2010, 01:08 AM
I wonder if it's as simple as that? Is it simply embarrassing to cut a guy that you're going to have to pay anyhow, literally at the rate of $1,000,000 per ST tackle?

I don't see any reason to cut El. He came up with some clutch catches earlier in the year when his number was called, which is why you keep wily veterans on your roster; they show the rooks how to respond to pressure. Besides, I don't think he's making half what Battle is. Battle needs to be cut, no doubt.

After signing a three-year, $7 million contract that included a $900,000 signing bonus, Randle El pronounced himself thrilled to rejoin former teammates

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10069/1041459-66.stm#ixzz13arb0A00

Updating a previous item, ESPN.com reports the Pittsburgh Steelers signed WR Arnaz Battle to a three-year deal worth $3.975 million with a $975,000 signing bonus, a source told John Clayton, of ESPN.com.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player.php/6254/nfl#ixzz13as1mcxC

the bengals handed antonio bryant 7.8 million and he never stepped on the field... now THATS embarrasing.

DanRooney
10-28-2010, 07:26 AM
After signing a three-year, $7 million contract that included a $900,000 signing bonus, Randle El pronounced himself thrilled to rejoin former teammates

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10069/1041459-66.stm#ixzz13arb0A00

Updating a previous item, ESPN.com reports the Pittsburgh Steelers signed WR Arnaz Battle to a three-year deal worth $3.975 million with a $975,000 signing bonus, a source told John Clayton, of ESPN.com.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player.php/6254/nfl#ixzz13as1mcxC

the bengals handed antonio bryant 7.8 million and he never stepped on the field... now THATS embarrasing.

Jesus. I hope a majority of that is not guaranteed.

ARE sucks. He is doing nothing but hindering the development of Sanders and Brown. Don't try to twist it and say they need him as a veteran to learn off of because one vet, named Hines Ward, is enough. Look at what Wallace did his rookie year starting as the #3 off the bat. Both Sanders and Brown have already shown they are capable of being just as good.

Tomlin and the coaching staff completely overreacted to Holmes' departure. That's why we're in this situation.

wootawnee
10-28-2010, 03:29 PM
i heard that Tomlin wants them to fight for the job, because when they get into the game, they'll play harder to keep the spot, other than El and Battle who pretty have been givin the jobs.

Sounds like pop warner mind games to me.......Tomlin is a Deuche sometimes when it comes to playing those stupid little kid games.........

wootawnee
10-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Jesus. I hope a majority of that is not guaranteed.

ARE sucks. He is doing nothing but hindering the development of Sanders and Brown. Don't try to twist it and say they need him as a veteran to learn off of because one vet, named Hines Ward, is enough. Look at what Wallace did his rookie year starting as the #3 off the bat. Both Sanders and Brown have already shown they are capable of being just as good.

Tomlin and the coaching staff completely overreacted to Holmes' departure. That's why we're in this situation.

Too many veterans around means way less ball touches.............

How much teaching did number 10 for the Eagles need?..............Come on man....Let them play......

We need the speed........

lionslicer
10-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Sounds like pop warner mind games to me.......Tomlin is a Deuche sometimes when it comes to playing those stupid little kid games.........

Something that people get very angry about, that I didn't mention is that El and Battle are both being paid a lot, and owners tend to get pissed off when million dollar contracts aren't active on the roster because they aren't good enough. When Brown or Sanders is in the game, they play the 4th reciever. Miller usually plays the 5th reciever, so Battle probably has only seen the field a couple times during the regular season. The only way Tomlin can get Sanders and Brown in the game through, instead of both of them is to let them fight for it. It also keeps them motivated to work harder.

Many coaches inthe past have drafted or brought in free agents to push starters to playing harder. Montana actually had a down season, 9ers brought in Steve Young, Montana had a couple great seasons after that and won 2 more superbowls. But I guess Bill Walsh is just a douche also.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Sounds like pop warner mind games to me.......

A strange comment, no doubt.

Tomlin is a Deuche sometimes when it comes to playing those stupid little kid games.........

Tomlin is from Germany?

What is wrong with making the young guys compete? Competition spurns growth, improvement, and progress.

In the few posts of yours I have seen, you seem to be a very negative person. The glass is always half empty.

BengalDestroyer
10-28-2010, 05:37 PM

I agree 100% I want to see both of them on the game day roster and Battle out.