PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Steelers so good?

steelerchad
10-28-2010, 08:30 AM
This team continues to be the class of the NFL. In my lifetime, 40 years, they have been good for the most part. Even in the lean years, the 80's, they were still a competitive team. They made it to the playoffs 4 times that decade.
The most Superbowls with 6, they've played in 14 AFC championship games, and have 23 playoff appearances in this time.

Maybe the most impressive thing is that they are almost never really bad. Only 7 losing seasons in 40 years and of those none worse than 5-11. Last year the Steelers took shots for a bad year and were 9-7 and in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season.

I think consistency is probably the main reason.
Only 3 head coaches in this time. The Steelers are also not big players in free agency, so their roster is not constantly turning over. I think football is the ultimate team sport and teams need time to gel with only subtle personnel changes mixed in to improve. Full scale roster turnovers and additions almost never work. See Dan Snyder and the Redskins.

steelerdave1969
10-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Nice post Chad. The Steelers org is in my opinion the Best in the Biz and always has been. The Rooneys know what they are doing and when it comes to coaches they are simply the best at selecting the right ones. I was kind of hesitant about Tomlin after the Super Bowl win, but he has kept this team going in the right direction and not just winning with Cowher's team.

finesward
10-28-2010, 09:05 AM
This team continues to be the class of the NFL. In my lifetime, 40 years, they have been good for the most part. Even in the lean years, the 80's, they were still a competitive team. They made it to the playoffs 4 times that decade.
The most Superbowls with 6, they've played in 14 AFC championship games, and have 23 playoff appearances in this time.

Maybe the most impressive thing is that they are almost never really bad. Only 7 losing seasons in 40 years and of those none worse than 5-11. Last year the Steelers took shots for a bad year and were 9-7 and in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season.

I think consistency is probably the main reason.
Only 3 head coaches in this time. The Steelers are also not big players in free agency, so their roster is not constantly turning over. I think football is the ultimate team sport and teams need time to gel with only subtle personnel changes mixed in to improve. Full scale roster turnovers and additions almost never work. See Dan Snyder and the Redskins.
Agreed, with exception to being the ultimate team sport. The real football (what yanks call soccer) is by far the ultimate team sport. These clubs in s. america and europe have guys who have played together their whole lives, not just a couple seasons. You can argue the nfl has more moving parts than soccer, but it's still 11v11. I enjoy watching them both, but to be honest all the commercials kill it for me watching my steelers play. I don't have cable TV anymore simply because I hated wasting my life watching advertisements. If I like a show I watch the episodes online. At least soccer matches are 45 mins of straight action each half. And for people who find it boring probably can't focus on watching anything for 45 mins at a time.

MDSteel15
10-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Wouldn't it be great to go to Dallas in February and piss on the star? :tt03:

Steelers>NFL
10-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Wouldn't it be great to go to Dallas in February and piss on the star? :tt03:

Go to Dallas and win # 7. On Cowgirl's turf. Puts the Steelers 2 ahead of the girls. :tt03:

Steelerfreak58
10-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Scouting and development of their draft picks. Philosophy. Pittsburgh mindset and mentality.

Those are the reasons they have had 40 years of dominance in the NFL.

thumper
10-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Before we break our arms patting ourselves on our collective Steeler backs, let's not forget
how many potential Super Bowl years were wasted from their refusal to find a legit QB. How
many seasons did we have a championship caliber O-line, running game and defense but
were straddled with a Kordell or T-zak? We had a lot of wasted years of them refusing to
admit and address the lack of a legit QB.

ricardisimo
10-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Steroids, and bribes for the officials.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I enjoy watching them both, but to be honest all the commercials kill it for me watching my steelers play. I don't have cable TV anymore simply because I hated wasting my life watching advertisements.

Sadly enough, the commercials during a football game (not futboll) have more entertainment value than a 90 minute soccer game...for me anyways.

At least soccer matches are 45 mins of straight action each half.

More like 45 minutes of REPETITIVE and MONOTONOUS action each half.

And for people who find it boring probably can't focus on watching anything for 45 mins at a time.

Why would ANYONE want to focus on anything so static as soccer for 45 minutes at a time? The last time I had to stare at something that didn't change for 45 minutes, it was during boot camp, as punishment if we were late for formation, we got assigned "stupid watches"-- you would have to sit in front of a clock for 45 minutes and stare at it....

Lady Steel
10-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Why are the Steelers so good? Because of the Rooneys and their morals and values. How many times have we seen players who were traded, cut or suspended because of the values and morals instilled into the organization by the Rooneys? Not too many, but enough. Ranks right up there with the classiness of the Steelers' organization as a whole, in my opinion.

thumper
10-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Why are the Steelers so good? Because of the Rooneys and their morals and values. How many times have we seen players who were traded, cut or suspended because of the values and morals instilled into the organization by the Rooneys? Not too many, but enough. Ranks right up there with the classiness of the Steelers' organization as a whole, in my opinion.

The definitely value the _perception_ that they are class, with high morals
and values. And, for the most part, they are. But don't think they don't use
techniques such as controlling the media, etc. to keep some things covered
up. Does anyone remember the supposed Cowher affair?

MattsMe
10-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Steroids, and bribes for the officials.

Don't forget the Rooneys pact with the devil.

ricardisimo
10-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Don't forget the Rooneys pact with the devil.
I thought that had expired. Did they sign a contract extension with the Lord of Darkness?

MattsMe
10-28-2010, 07:08 PM
I thought that had expired. Did they sign a contract extension with the Lord of Darkness?

I believe they just franchised him, until the new CBA is worked out.

DoubleYoi
10-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Before we break our arms patting ourselves on our collective Steeler backs, let's not forget
how many potential Super Bowl years were wasted from their refusal to find a legit QB. How
many seasons did we have a championship caliber O-line, running game and defense but
were straddled with a Kordell or T-zak? We had a lot of wasted years of them refusing to

The question was "why are the Steelers so good?" not "how many Super Bowls did the Steelers leave on the table because the weren't fortunate to have a franchise QB?" Debbie Downer in the hizzy!!

Fire Arians
10-28-2010, 08:16 PM
cause we draft guys like hines ward and not terrell owens

4xSBChamps
10-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Maybe the most impressive thing is that they are almost never really bad. Only 7 losing seasons in 40 years and of those none worse than 5-11.

'some' of us were around for the time preceding this 40 year period, as I saw 5 seasons before 'em Stillers finally made the playoffs, and my dad began following them in the 1950's, when the franchise was the laughing stock of the League

in-hindsight, it may be blasphemous to say on this forum, but when the Chief ran the team, they struggled without success, and it wasn't until he allowed Dan to run the franchise day-to-day, who hired Chuck Noll (who's importantance shouldn't be overlooked), that the team's fortunes turned.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/ChuckNollandDanRooneyacceptSB9LombardifromPeteRoze lle.jpg

ricardisimo
10-28-2010, 09:41 PM
I believe they just franchised him, until the new CBA is worked out.
They are just asking for trouble in the off-season. If I were the the serpent chief of the fallen angels, the archfiend, and my team franchised me against my wishes... oh, man would there be hell to pay. Why go through all of the trouble to unload Santonio, and then wind up keeping Satanio? :huh:

Merchant
10-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Dude. You're always so pessimistic lol.

thumper
10-28-2010, 10:19 PM
The question was "why are the Steelers so good?" not "how many Super Bowls did the Steelers leave on the table because the weren't fortunate to have a franchise QB?" Debbie Downer in the hizzy!!

Just keeping it real.

DoubleYoi
10-29-2010, 09:45 AM
'some' of us were around for the time preceding this 40 year period, as I saw 5 seasons before 'em Stillers finally made the playoffs, and my dad began following them in the 1950's, when the franchise was the laughing stock of the League

in-hindsight, it may be blasphemous to say on this forum, but when the Chief ran the team, they struggled without success, and it wasn't until he allowed Dan to run the franchise day-to-day, who hired Chuck Noll (who's importantance shouldn't be overlooked), that the team's fortunes turned.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/ChuckNollandDanRooneyacceptSB9LombardifromPeteRoze lle.jpg

Right on. I wasn't around for any of the afforementioned events but it's widely believed that the hiring of Chuck Noll, but more importantly, the drafting of Mean Joe was the franchise's turning point.

DoubleYoi
10-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Just keeping it real.

You're not keeping anything real though. Seems like you're just playing devil's advocate. You mention the Cowher affair like it was something that definitely happened but was swept under the rug by the Rooneys. This whole debacle originated during the worst 3-year span (98-00) of the Cowher era. Coincidence? I think not. Also, during this time, it was rumored that Kordell Stewart was caught doing certain things with another guy in Schenley Park. Seems to me that a few fair-weather fans cooked up some hurtful rumors and word spread like wildfire like it usually does when the Steelers aren't winning.. People are so quick to point fingers, place blame and throw coaches and players under the bus when the team goes through a bit of a rough time.

If you're going to accuse the Rooneys of doing anything questionable, at least mention the stuff that actually happened. How about Art Rooney hiring a lawyer and bailing out Ernie Holmes after he led troopers on a high speed chase and shot at a police chopper on the Ohio Turnpike? A cop was actually shot in the ankle by Holmes' shotgun and Art Rooney still found it in his heart to bail Ernie out and visit him almost every day in a psych hospital. Sounds like the kind of boss I'd love to work for. :chuckle:

finesward
10-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Sadly enough, the commercials during a football game (not futboll) have more entertainment value than a 90 minute soccer game...for me anyways.

Sadly that's true for most americans. I at least don't watch tv, so on gameday all the commercials are new to me...I couldn't imagine already having seen them a million times, then having to watch them over and over again every 5 minutes. The only ones I enjoy are the capt. morgan commercials.

Agree to disagree. If you've ever played the sport or spent time anywhere in the world you would have an appreciation for the "beautiful game" You may think kicking a ball around for 45 minutes is repetitive and monotonous but it takes much more coordination, skill, conditioning, and intelligence to play soccer than football. Maybe the only exception being the QB position

Why would ANYONE want to focus on anything so static as soccer for 45 minutes at a time? The last time I had to stare at something that didn't change for 45 minutes, it was during boot camp, as punishment if we were late for formation, we got assigned "stupid watches"-- you would have to sit in front of a clock for 45 minutes and stare at it....

But like a clock a soccer game is never static, there is always movement.. Maybe that's the lesson you missed back in the bootcamp. Just imagine watching a steeler game that was 45 minutes a half with no commercials. When you appreciate soccer and you watch your favorite team play that's exactly how it is. Hand's down better than being bombarded with bud light and truck commercials

All I said was soccer was the ultimate team sport, and that my opinion was it was more enjoyable watching a sport that didn't have commercial breaks every 5 minutes. I love it when on the field the players are standing around waiting for the stupid commercial timeout to finish so they can get back to playing. There is no stoppage in soccer, minus for injuries which they tack on at the end.
Bottom line is if you enjoy commercials and breaks in action 30 times a game in a sport, cheers to ya. If you want to disagree with what I said about it being the ultimate team sport, I'd love to debate that with you. Otherwise, you don't like soccer, I get it. Thanks for that post expressing your feelings about the game.

DoubleYoi
10-29-2010, 11:12 AM

Sadly that's true for most americans. I at least don't watch tv, so on gameday all the commercials are new to me...I couldn't imagine already having seen them a million times, then having to watch them over and over again every 5 minutes. The only ones I enjoy are the capt. morgan commercials.

Agree to disagree. If you've ever played the sport or spent time anywhere in the world you would have an appreciation for the "beautiful game" You may think kicking a ball around for 45 minutes is repetitive and monotonous but it takes much more coordination, skill, conditioning, and intelligence to play soccer than football. Maybe the only exception being the QB position

But like a clock a soccer game is never static, there is always movement.. Maybe that's the lesson you missed back in the bootcamp. Just imagine watching a steeler game that was 45 minutes a half with no commercials. When you appreciate soccer and you watch your favorite team play that's exactly how it is. Hand's down better than being bombarded with bud light and truck commercials

All I said was soccer was the ultimate team sport, and that my opinion was it was more enjoyable watching a sport that didn't have commercial breaks every 5 minutes. I love it when on the field the players are standing around waiting for the stupid commercial timeout to finish so they can get back to playing. There is no stoppage in soccer, minus for injuries which they tack on at the end.
Bottom line is if you enjoy commercials and breaks in action 30 times a game in a sport, cheers to ya. If you want to disagree with what I said about it being the ultimate team sport, I'd love to debate that with you. Otherwise, you don't like soccer, I get it. Thanks for that post expressing your feelings about the game.

Too bad individual posts can't be moved to the Sports Dimension forum. Are the Steelers so good because Soccer is the ultimate team sport? :flap:

thumper
10-29-2010, 02:00 PM
You're not keeping anything real though. Seems like you're just playing devil's advocate. You mention the Cowher affair like it was something that definitely happened but was swept under the rug by the Rooneys. This whole debacle originated during the worst 3-year span (98-00) of the Cowher era. Coincidence? I think not. Also, during this time, it was rumored that Kordell Stewart was caught doing certain things with another guy in Schenley Park. Seems to me that a few fair-weather fans cooked up some hurtful rumors and word spread like wildfire like it usually does when the Steelers aren't winning.. People are so quick to point fingers, place blame and throw coaches and players under the bus when the team goes through a bit of a rough time.

If you're going to accuse the Rooneys of doing anything questionable, at least mention the stuff that actually happened. How about Art Rooney hiring a lawyer and bailing out Ernie Holmes after he led troopers on a high speed chase and shot at a police chopper on the Ohio Turnpike? A cop was actually shot in the ankle by Holmes' shotgun and Art Rooney still found it in his heart to bail Ernie out and visit him almost every day in a psych hospital. Sounds like the kind of boss I'd love to work for. :chuckle:

Let me ask you: If a PR guy from the team was calling radio stations and telling
them to not allow callers to talk about the Cowher affair rumors, what
would you make of that? If they were all unfounded, why bother to call
these sports stations and threaten to pull their perks if they let callers
speak on the subject? One problem with the Rooneys' plan to control
the media on this one: He ran into a Browns fan without realizing it, so
when the PR guy threatened to take away tickets if he didn't comply,
the sportscaster revealed the entire discussion, on air. He didn't care
if he lost perk tickets, he wasn't a Steelers fan to begin with and the
PR guy made a big mistake in how he handled the situation.

Nothing to hide? Then why was a PR guy calling stations to tell them
they were to hang up on any caller bringing up the affair rumors. Now,
some choose to be gullible, etc, and feel happier that way. It's your choice.
I am sure your next claim will be that a PR guy calling stations and
telling them to hang up on callers who brought up the rumors doesn't
__PROVE__ anything, and you'd be correct. But common sense and
understanding the obvious can exist even if legal-level proof does not.
Common sense says Rooneys went on damage control to force the
media to cover this up. Do I care if Cowher was having an affair? Not
one bit. Not my business. Do I care of Rooneys have control of the media
to keep their "classy, high morals" image intact? <Shrugs shoulders> Not
all that much, other than to at least realize the truth of the matter.

Then there is the whole past where the Rooneys made their nut in the
horse racing/gambling business. We all know how that racket is as pure
as the driven snow, full of only choir boys and boy scouts. :rofl:

DoubleYoi
10-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Let me ask you: If a PR guy from the team was calling radio stations and telling

Then there is the whole past where the Rooneys made their nut in the
horse racing/gambling business. We all know how that racket is as pure
as the driven snow, full of only choir boys and boy scouts. :rofl:

Holy Moses! This is a thread about why the Steelers are consistently good in comparison to other NFL franchises and you're basing your contrarian view on a RUMOR that happened over ten years ago. As I said before, you're playing devil's advocate. The entire NFL world must view the Rooneys as one of the best ownership groups in the history of the game because of their ability to control the media. It's all so clear now that you've opened my eyes with a story of a PR rep bullying a radio station.

You've voiced opinions of the Steelers leaving SBs on the table because they refused to admit they didn't have a QB capable of winning one. You've also voiced displeasure about the way the organization is run by the most important people in the franchise's rich history (the Rooneys.) I'm failing to see how you can hold some of these views and still be a fan, let alone feel strongly enough about the team to post on a message board.

thumper
10-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Holy Moses! This is a thread about why the Steelers are consistently good in comparison to other NFL franchises and you're basing your contrarian view on a RUMOR that happened over ten years ago. As I said before, you're playing devil's advocate. The entire NFL world must view the Rooneys as one of the best ownership groups in the history of the game because of their ability to control the media. It's all so clear now that you've opened my eyes with a story of a PR rep bullying a radio station.

You've voiced opinions of the Steelers leaving SBs on the table because they refused to admit they didn't have a QB capable of winning one. You've also voiced displeasure about the way the organization is run by the most important people in the franchise's rich history (the Rooneys.) I'm failing to see how you can hold some of these views and still be a fan, let alone feel strongly enough about the team to post on a message board.

I couldn't help but notice you dodged my specific assertions that clearly shed light on the subjects at hand. I am a fan, but to me, you don't have to check your brain at the door, just because you are a fan. Others choose to live in ignorance and avoid obvious truths. I don't roll that way. You sure seem to.

ricardisimo
10-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Uh-oh... we've got another "uncomfortable truths" guy here, just in time to replace clownbyflaw. Well, I guess someone needs to spread the good word.

SteelCityMom
10-31-2010, 03:47 PM
I couldn't help but notice you dodged my specific assertions that clearly shed light on the subjects at hand. I am a fan, but to me, you don't have to check your brain at the door, just because you are a fan. Others choose to live in ignorance and avoid obvious truths. I don't roll that way. You sure seem to.

Nobody's dodging your assertions about Cowhers possible marital affair and the Rooney's possibly telling radio stations to not take callers questions on the subject. It's just that nobody really cares about whether or not Cowher cheated on his late wife 10+ years ago, especially when it has nothing to do with why the Steelers are a good organization and team.

Lady Steel
10-31-2010, 03:50 PM

Maybe the PR guy was calling the media because the rumors were untrue? I don't know whether Coach Cowher had an affair or not, but maybe the PR guy called the media to put the kibosh on rumors that simply were not true. With technology and the media being what it is today, if there was an affair going on, I'm sure someone, somewhere (Nancy Grace :toofunny:) would have dug and dug until they found out the truth. Or maybe not. We don't know. But I always try to see the best in people, not the worse, unless proven otherwise.

Regardless, I think it's disrespectful to be talking about this issue at this point in time given that Coach Cowher's wife passed away only 3 months ago.

SteelCityMom
10-31-2010, 03:53 PM

And yet, as someone has already pointed out, the Steelers have only had 7 losing seasons in the past 40 years. There are A LOT of teams out there who would love to have the "problems" that the Steelers organization has(in relation to football only).

Sure, if they always had the best franchise QBs they maybe could have won more SB's, but that's a pipe dream. Great franchise QBs don't grow on trees you know. You may think you're "keeping it real", but you're doing so with extremely unrealistic expectations.

At least they're not the Browns, whose QB list for the past ten years reads like a Who's Who list of nobody QBs.

Kanata-Steeler
10-31-2010, 04:57 PM
...because Rod Woodson@NFL-Network said they were ???
:drink: