PDA

View Full Version : Steelers -vs- Saints

steelerdave1969
10-28-2010, 08:00 AM
This could be a game that the Steelers didnt really want to play in. Our secondary will most likely get exposed Sunday Night in New Orleans. Our secondary makes Colt McCoy look like a nice veteran of 5 years at time vs the Browns. Henne looked like a pro bowler in the 2nd half last week vs the Dolphins.
I am into Fantasy Football Big Time, and I have the Steelers Defense in alot of leagues, but this week they will Not be in my starting lineups for sure. I believe Brees is gonna get his game on track this week. The Steelers have been taking the last few weeks off in the Passrush part of our Defense. If the Steelers dont get on Brees Early and Often, its gonna be a Long Night.

CargoJon
10-28-2010, 09:07 AM
What's funny is my wife is a Saints fan and she is convinced that we're going to stomp a mud hole in them. I'm sure I"ll be sleeping on the couch for days if we do.

DoubleYoi
10-28-2010, 09:46 AM
This could be a game that the Steelers didnt really want to play in. Our secondary will most likely get exposed Sunday Night in New Orleans. Our secondary makes Colt McCoy look like a nice veteran of 5 years at time vs the Browns. Henne looked like a pro bowler in the 2nd half last week vs the Dolphins.
I am into Fantasy Football Big Time, and I have the Steelers Defense in alot of leagues, but this week they will Not be in my starting lineups for sure. I believe Brees is gonna get his game on track this week. The Steelers have been taking the last few weeks off in the Passrush part of our Defense. If the Steelers dont get on Brees Early and Often, its gonna be a Long Night.

I'm as concerned about what Brees will do to the Steelers as the next guy but the love fest over the McCoy/Henne performances has to stop. Really? McCoy looked like 5-year vet and Henne a Pro Bowl QB? McCoy and Henne threw for QB ratings of 80.5 and 82.8 respectively. Granted, those ratings are higher than their season average but they didn't torch us by any means. They combined to rack up 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 538 yards, 6 sacks and an average QB rating of 81.6.....hardly Pro Bowl numbers to me.

HAWK
10-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Despite the passing stats, we held those teams relatively in check. It will be harder to do with NO, but it can be done. Other teams have already done it this year. The fact that it's a SNF game, a party night like Halloween, and they got their asses kicked last week is what makes it harder IMO.

steelerchad
10-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Colt McCoy had 1 TD pass in mop up time and Chad Henne had 1 TD pass to Bess who made a nice run after catch to score. Each team only had 1 TD total, so that was it. This D doesn't give up many TD's, so I'm not sure Brees will kill us. He may rack up some yards, but he's thrown 10 picks this year already.

DoubleYoi
10-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Colt McCoy had 1 TD pass in mop up time and Chad Henne had 1 TD pass to Bess who made a nice run after catch to score. Each team only had 1 TD total, so that was it. This D doesn't give up many TD's, so I'm not sure Brees will kill us. He may rack up some yards, but he's thrown 10 picks this year already.

Not to mention, the Steelers have only allowed 4 passing TDs all year. Not bad for a team whose primary focus is stopping the run.

steelcity1974
10-28-2010, 02:16 PM
This could be a game that the Steelers didnt really want to play in.

Erroneous! The Steelers players and coaches LOVE the big, primetime games.

SteelCityMom
10-28-2010, 02:16 PM
I pointed this out in another thread, and DoubleYoi has pointed it out here...while the Steelers secondary is allowing a lot of yards, they are number one in the stats that matter most.

#1 in points per game at 13.7
#1 in passing and rushing TDs allowed (total) with 6 and 2 respectively.

Saints are ranked higher in both pass defense and in overall offense, but are scoring fewer points and allowing more TDs (and giving up more TO's).

Of course there's always the chance that the Steelers will lose, but I feel pretty confident that they'll hold their own and get a good win.

steelerdave1969
10-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm as concerned about what Brees will do to the Steelers as the next guy but the love fest over the McCoy/Henne performances has to stop. Really? McCoy looked like 5-year vet and Henne a Pro Bowl QB? McCoy and Henne threw for QB ratings of 80.5 and 82.8 respectively. Granted, those ratings are higher than their season average but they didn't torch us by any means. They combined to rack up 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 538 yards, 6 sacks and an average QB rating of 81.6.....hardly Pro Bowl numbers to me.

Colt McCoy 23 of 33 281 yards 1 td 2 int's.
He didnt look bad at all against our defense. We sacked him 5 times and Intercepted 2 of his passes and he still completed a great % of his passes.
Chad Henne 23 of 36 257 yards 1 td 1 int
I would like to see those numbers over the 2nd half, cuz he was pretty much doing what ever he wanted. We got No Pressure on him standing back there all day.
For those that think Drew Brees wont kill our secondary IF we Dont get Pressure on him . . your a little delusional. Just look at all the weapons the Saints have on offense even without Reggie Bush or Pierre Thomas. This means that the Saints will not run very much and what is the weakness of the Steelers defense? Come on, be honest with yourself. I hope that the Steelers go into New Orleans and roughs Brees up no doubt about that, but if they dont . . its gonna be a long night.

steelerdave1969
10-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Oh yeah . . its 2 td's to 3 int's by the way:coffee:

DoubleYoi
10-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Colt McCoy 23 of 33 281 yards 1 td 2 int's.
He didnt look bad at all against our defense. We sacked him 5 times and Intercepted 2 of his passes and he still completed a great % of his passes.
Chad Henne 23 of 36 257 yards 1 td 1 int
I would like to see those numbers over the 2nd half, cuz he was pretty much doing what ever he wanted. We got No Pressure on him standing back there all day.
For those that think Drew Brees wont kill our secondary IF we Dont get Pressure on him . . your a little delusional. Just look at all the weapons the Saints have on offense even without Reggie Bush or Pierre Thomas. This means that the Saints will not run very much and what is the weakness of the Steelers defense? Come on, be honest with yourself. I hope that the Steelers go into New Orleans and roughs Brees up no doubt about that, but if they dont . . its gonna be a long night.

As steelerchad pointed out, a bunch of McCoy's yards were mop-up yards against the Steelers prevent D which accounts for the high completion%. Henne's TD was a flukey catch-and-run by Bess which was made possible by a few missed tackles. Other than that play, the Dolphins didn't really sniff the endzone all day, it was all FGs.

If the Browns can stifle the Saints like they did last weekend, I have faith in the Steelers. Heard a local sports show mention that Cleveland rushed 3, floated 1 linebacker over the middle and dropped 7 into coverage against the Saints last week. Brees threw for 356 yards and 2 TDs but also threw 4 INTs in the process. I have faith in our defense to slow them down enough to win this game. Especially since the Steelers O should be able to put up a decent amount of points on the Saints D.