PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison blames NFL for "my least productive game"

Atlanta Dan
10-28-2010, 10:48 PM
PFT claims this is what James Harrison said on Showtime's Inside The NFL last night - I guess Ray Anderson did not receive flowers or candy from James after agent/attorney (and former All League high school QB!) Anderson commended James for his polite play in the Miami game

Steelers linebacker James Harrison drew praise from the league office this week for not committing any illegal hits in Sunday's game against the Dolphins. But Harrison says he had to sacrifice his performance to play the game the NFL wants him to play.

"That was my least productive game this year," Harrison told Josina Anderson on Inside the NFL. "We can still play the game, but it's not the same."

Inside the NFL showed multiple plays from the Steelers-Dolphins game when Harrison appeared to slow down and avoid contact, rather than accelerate and explode into a Dolphins player. Harrison said he was thinking about a suspension on those plays.

"If I shot in there I would have probably hit helmet to helmet, and I've already got one offense," Harrison said. "So I could probably be looking at a possible suspension."...

Harrison, who on Wednesday was credited with an interception that the official statistician had failed to record on Sunday, says he isn't worried about the long-term health implications of having so many head-first collisions on the field.

"To be honest with you, I'm not too concerned about it," Harrison said. "If that happens it's gonna suck, but hopefully I'll have made enough money and put in enough time that my kids don't have to worry about it. And if I've got to go through a little bit of hell so they don't have to, I'm fine with that."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/2.php

MattsMe
10-29-2010, 12:50 AM
PFT claims this is what James Harrison said on Showtime's Inside The NFL last night - I guess Ray Anderson did not receive flowers or candy from James after agent/attorney (and former All League high school QB!) Anderson commended James for his polite play in the Miami game

:sofunny: I saw your question to Bouchette in the chat this week. I'm guessing Anderson just got a cute e-card in his email.

MasterOfPuppets
10-29-2010, 12:58 AM
Atlanta Dan: Any word yet as to whether James Harrison will be sending flowers or just a card to Ray Anderson with the league office to express his deep gratitude to Mr. Anderson for deciding to "applaud James for restraining himself" and not making any unpleasant tackles during the Miami game?

you're an "insider" dan ?

Merchant
10-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Harrison, who on Wednesday was credited with an interception that the official statistician had failed to record on Sunday, says he isn't worried about the long-term health implications of having so many head-first collisions on the field.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/2.php

I was wondering what was up with that. At the end of the game it showed Henne had 0 picks and I was like, uhh.. was the last play of the game not a pick by Deebo?

Atlanta Dan
10-29-2010, 08:14 AM
you're an "insider" dan ?

IMO the way for a PG+ subscriber to get Ed Bouchette to answer one of your questions in his online chat is to put a sarcastic spin on it:chuckle:

Based on what he is writing in the past several weeks Ed.B. appears to have cultivated as much of a personal dislike for the attitude Ray Anderson is packing as i have

DoubleYoi
10-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Dear Mr. Harrison,

As much as I don't like this Ray Anderson character, you should just shut your trap and work harder to make sure you're able to give a 100% while not breaking the NFL's rules, newly-enforced or not. All this whining about not being able to play "your game" is just painting you in a bad light. If you spent half as much time on tackling drills as you do complaining, you'd be the definition of a perfect tackler in the NFL's eyes.

If anybody has the right to complain as much as you, it's Dunta Robinson. There was absolutely nothing illegal about his hit, yet he was fined $50k. Maybe I can't hear his mouth flapping because I don't live in the Atlanta market but he seems to be much more mature about this whole thing.

Love ya James but this whole feeling victimized thing is getting real old.

Atlanta Dan
10-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Dear Mr. Harrison,

As much as I don't like this Ray Anderson character, you should just shut your trap and work harder to make sure you're able to give a 100% while not breaking the NFL's rules, newly-enforced or not. All this whining about not being able to play "your game" is just painting you in a bad light. If you spent half as much time on tackling drills as you do complaining, you'd be the definition of a perfect tackler in the NFL's eyes.

If anybody has the right to complain as much as you, it's Dunta Robinson. There was absolutely nothing illegal about his hit, yet he was fined $50k. Maybe I can't hear his mouth flapping because I don't live in the Atlanta market but he seems to be much more mature about this whole thing.

One of the few times the words Dunta Robinson and mature will appear in the same sentence

During Sunday's 24-7 loss to the Jets, the Houston Texans cornerback wore shoes with the words "Pay me Rick" written on them, in reference to general manager Rick Smith. On Wednesday, Robinson was fined by the team for his actions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4480393

For the record, Robinson did not meekly accept his fine from Anderson either

"I am disappointed by the NFL's ruling. I recognize the goal is to protect all players from the Pee Wee level on up. However, this was a bang-bang hit situation where I did not lead with my helmet, and therefore I will appeal. Although it was a violent hit, my hit did not violate the NFL's rules, and I was playing the game the way I always have. I am not a dirty player and have never been characterized as one."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/10/falcons-cb-dunta-robinson-on-50000-fine-i-am-not-a-dirty-player/1

Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson, addressing the media for the first time about the NFL's decision to fine him $50,000 for a helmet-to-helmet blow to Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson last Sunday, called the league's action "ridiculous" and vowed not to change his playing style.

"I thought it was ridiculous, which is why I'm appealing it," Robinson said of the hit that sidelined both players during Atlanta's 31-17 road loss to Philadelphia. "If I thought it was a cheap shot on a guy, I'd pay the fine."...

"I've been playing football since I was 7 years old and I've been playing one way. You can't come in and change me or the way I play in two weeks. It's not going to change.

"When you step on the field, you don't say, 'I'm going to knock a guy out cold.' You play football."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/10/falcons-cb-dunta-robinson-calls-helmet-to-helmet-fine-ridiculous/1

Harrison is 2 years removed from being NFL defensive player of the year, being responsible for arguably the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history, and plays for one of the league's glamour franchises. Robinson plays for the Falcons, a team which has a lower profile than the UGA college football program in its own city. Harrison's high profile was a big factor in why he was fined $75K (and is on the cover of SI this week even though the only flagrant hit on October 17 was by Meriwether for the Pats).

If Tomlin thinks Harrison is hurting the team by continuing to pound this issue (since Tomlin this week said he finds Anderson's comments "insulting" and "could not care less" what Anderson thinks I doubt that will happen :chuckle:) either Tomlin or a team leader such as Farrior, Foote, or Ward will tell Harrison to stop the public comments, at which point my bet is they stop

Stu Pidasso
10-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I hope Ray Anderson is on the sideline this week in New Orleans, and the Steelers "run a sweep" to his side... a la The Longest Yard...

DoubleYoi
10-29-2010, 12:34 PM
One of the few times the words Dunta Robinson and mature will appear in the same sentence

During Sunday's 24-7 loss to the Jets, the Houston Texans cornerback wore shoes with the words "Pay me Rick" written on them, in reference to general manager Rick Smith. On Wednesday, Robinson was fined by the team for his actions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4480393

For the record, Robinson did not meekly accept his fine from Anderson either

"I am disappointed by the NFL's ruling. I recognize the goal is to protect all players from the Pee Wee level on up. However, this was a bang-bang hit situation where I did not lead with my helmet, and therefore I will appeal. Although it was a violent hit, my hit did not violate the NFL's rules, and I was playing the game the way I always have. I am not a dirty player and have never been characterized as one."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/10/falcons-cb-dunta-robinson-on-50000-fine-i-am-not-a-dirty-player/1

Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson, addressing the media for the first time about the NFL's decision to fine him $50,000 for a helmet-to-helmet blow to Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson last Sunday, called the league's action "ridiculous" and vowed not to change his playing style.

"I thought it was ridiculous, which is why I'm appealing it," Robinson said of the hit that sidelined both players during Atlanta's 31-17 road loss to Philadelphia. "If I thought it was a cheap shot on a guy, I'd pay the fine."...

"I've been playing football since I was 7 years old and I've been playing one way. You can't come in and change me or the way I play in two weeks. It's not going to change.

"When you step on the field, you don't say, 'I'm going to knock a guy out cold.' You play football."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/10/falcons-cb-dunta-robinson-calls-helmet-to-helmet-fine-ridiculous/1

Harrison is 2 years removed from being NFL defensive player of the year, being responsible for arguably the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history, and plays for one of the league's glamour franchises. Robinson plays for the Falcons, a team which has a lower profile than the UGA college football program in its own city. Harrison's high profile was a big factor in why he was fined $75K (and is on the cover of SI this week even though the only flagrant hit on October 17 was by Meriwether for the Pats).

If Tomlin thinks Harrison is hurting the team by continuing to pound this issue (since Tomlin this week said he finds Anderson's comments "insulting" and "could not care less" what Anderson thinks I doubt that will happen :chuckle:) either Tomlin or a team leader such as Farrior, Foote, or Ward will tell Harrison to stop the public comments, at which point my bet is they stop

I completely agree with everything Dunta Robinson said in that post. His hit was 100% legal no matter which way you interpret the rule. He hit the WR in the chest with his shoulder which is not a penalty or fine-able offense. Harrison, no matter what he intended to do, did make helmet-to-helmet contact with Massoquoi as he attempted to gain possession of the ball. I don't agree that he should've been fined $75k but he only beleaguered the point by threatening to retire which wouldn't happen in a million years. Just quit stomping your feet and play football already.

stb_steeler
10-29-2010, 02:13 PM
We all could see that it seems to have some affect to his and others game. It just didnt seem like Harrison was in the game much. I believe it affected him at some level.

thumper
10-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Dear Mr. Harrison,

You don't understand how this guy ticks, Yoi. He needs to feel wronged
at every turn to motivate him to cream people. This is just him finding
something else to make him super ticked off, while having to make
sure he doesn't give head-to-head shots. It can be done. He will
figure out how to remain a beast but avoid fines, etc. Ray Lewis pounds
people but uses his shoulders and forearms. That is still legal.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-29-2010, 05:01 PM
I can see that THUMPER and DOUBLE YOI have likely never played a single down of football in their entire life. Harrison is exactly right about the whole issue....Goodell's office is wussifying football, and the fools like you guys are just spreading your azz cheeks for them to have their way. We as fans should let our dissatisfaction with the NFL's product be known, and the players should as well (since they are the ones most affected).

Fire Arians
10-29-2010, 05:22 PM
sure it wasn't because of jake long?

thumper
10-29-2010, 06:59 PM
I can see that THUMPER and DOUBLE YOI have likely never played a single down of football in their entire life. Harrison is exactly right about the whole issue....Goodell's office is wussifying football, and the fools like you guys are just spreading your azz cheeks for them to have their way. We as fans should let our dissatisfaction with the NFL's product be known, and the players should as well (since they are the ones most affected).

Yea, I am sure you are the gift to football gods. You obviously
are like the toughest football player who ever lived. Let's rip
on the league for wanting to DO something about the real,
obvious, long-term effects of head injuries from the NFL. Shame
on them for trying to protect the health of the players in the long
term. The game can still be plenty physical without head
hunting. Ray Lewis is known to be pretty OK at hitting, and yet
does not use his head to make tackles.

But, I am sure you are tougher and better at football than Ray
Lewis ever was. Right?

You must be the toughest guy on the planet.

thumper
10-29-2010, 06:59 PM
sure it wasn't because of jake long?

Oh, just maybe he had something to do with it as well. :hatsoff:

jjpro11
10-29-2010, 09:52 PM
are like the toughest football player who ever lived. Let's rip
on the league for wanting to DO something about the real,
obvious, long-term effects of head injuries from the NFL. Shame
term. The game can still be plenty physical without head

Lewis ever was. Right?

You must be the toughest guy on the planet.

Lewis was fined twice for illegal head shots last year.. the Ochocinco hit was worse than any of the three from a week ago. please, spare me.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-29-2010, 11:01 PM
are like the toughest football player who ever lived.

Nope, I just don't support the diluting of our favorite sport, and I don't give props to people who do.

Let's rip on the league for wanting to DO something about the real, obvious, long-term effects of head injuries from the NFL. Shame
term.

The NFL does not care about the players at all-- they are simply trying to protect their pocketbooks from lawsuits. If they really cared, the league would not be expanding to 18 games and they would spend some more of their millions to design better protective equipment. We have military helmets that will stop 7.62mm rounds-- you telling me that with all the $$$$ the NFL has, it can't design better helmets?

When the players sign on the dotted line, they are fully aware of the risks, side-effects, and long term changes to their lifestyle that football will create. Trying to take the vicious hits out of football is like trying to take death out of war. You CAN do both, but then it would not be called "football" or "war" anymore.

The game can still be plenty physical without head

Hence my assessment that you have never played a single down of football in your life. Football IS a sport that features head-hunting (when played in its pure form, not the commercialized, watered down version we are being exposed to now). The rules the NFL is adopting are softer than the current rules in place for most frigging high school football teams....and these guys are getting paid millions and millions of dollars to play it. That should tell you something...

It should also be a telltale sign for the folks who think like you, that even offensive players (whom these new rules and measures protect) are coming out against them. Are you going to ask Hines Ward if he is tougher than Ray Lewis too? If Hines were here on this message board, he would be telling you the same things I am telling you now.

Lewis ever was. Right?

Ray Lewis is against the new rules prohibiting vicious hits and is one of the most vocal opponents of the new policies. I may not be tougher than Ray, but both he and I are definitely tougher than you by the looks of it.

Fire Arians
10-29-2010, 11:06 PM
damn i aint reading all that shit

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-29-2010, 11:36 PM
By the way, nothing personal against you, THUMPER, DOUBLE YOI. I realize I came off pretty strong in my original post.

It just seems to me that some of the fans are more concerned with the players' safety than the players themselves. And not surprisingly, I have found that most of the fans that are concerned with this, have never played the sport at all at any level. I won't make any assumptions about you guys though-- that was wrong of me. And even if you guys have never played a down of football, I guess that does not mean you are not entitled to an opinion.

My bad. I get pretty heated about this subject.

thumper
10-30-2010, 12:47 AM
By the way, nothing personal against you, THUMPER, DOUBLE YOI. I realize I came off pretty strong in my original post.

It just seems to me that some of the fans are more concerned with the players' safety than the players themselves. And not surprisingly, I have found that most of the fans that are concerned with this, have never played the sport at all at any level. I won't make any assumptions about you guys though-- that was wrong of me. And even if you guys have never played a down of football, I guess that does not mean you are not entitled to an opinion.

My bad. I get pretty heated about this subject.

Let me ask you: you ever broke bones?

SouthTexasSteel
10-30-2010, 07:24 AM
That was my least productive game this year," Harrison told Josina Anderson on Inside the NFL. "We can still play the game, but it's not the same."

Ironically, Big Ben and JH are in the same boat!!! Neither can hit it like they use to. Ben is relegated to holding hands on a date and JH is playing flag football... The commish is trying to turn our Steelers into a metrosexual team.. :hug: