PDA

View Full Version : Huge TE coming to visit.....

DIESELMAN
03-19-2006, 01:57 AM
John O'Connor, of the Times-Dispatch, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have invited NCAA basketball C Jai Lewis, of George Mason, to visit with them after the NCAA basketball tournament is over. There may also be other NFL teams that want to take a first-hand look at the 6-7 275-pounder. Lewis last played football as a tight end and defensive end at Aberdeen (Md.) High School. But his size and athleticism intrigues NFL scouts, who see some TE Antonio Gates (Chargers) in Lewis. A Steelers scout watched Lewis play in the Colonial Athletic Association tournament earlier this month at the Richmond Coliseum and left impressed by Lewis' dimensions, coordination and mobility. "I'd love to play football, and the NFL is always trying to find athletes," said Lewis.

83-Steelers-43
03-19-2006, 08:13 AM
I know Chevy Troutman wasn't 6'7" and 275 pounds, but I'm skeptical when it comes to looking at basketball players who haven't played football since high school. I recall the Redskins doing the same with Chevy and that lasted all but ten minutes.

It doesn't hurt, but I don't see this guy making the team.

clevestinks
03-19-2006, 08:23 AM
What position? TE???

83-Steelers-43
03-19-2006, 08:25 AM
What position? TE???

For Jai Lewis or Chevy Troutman?

Going by the title, I guess Lewis is being brought in as a possible TE. If you were asking about Chevy Troutman, the Redskins brought him in as a possible TE.

drizze99
03-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Bring him in! It sure as hell can't hurt.

clevestinks
03-19-2006, 09:16 AM
What round is he projected?? We our set at TE, cant imagine a early round selection?

Tim
03-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Doesn't sound like he's even part of the NFL draft, although I could be wrong about that.

drizze99
03-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Nah, He is either a late round flier or an undrafted signing.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-19-2006, 02:30 PM
With Jerame up in the air right now, that would leave us with Heath and Kranchick, right? So you'd think they'll look for 3rd TE at some point.

rowedf
03-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Troutman wasn't even close to 275, he MIGHT have been 240 ... thats a huge difference in a TE.

83-Steelers-43
03-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Troutman wasn't even close to 275, he MIGHT have been 240 ... thats a huge difference in a TE.

I understand that, my main point was that normally college basketball players that have not played football since high school do not make great football players no matter the height or weight. I was merely using him as an example. Once again, I wouldn't mind the Steelers bringing him in for a look but I don't see him making this or any other NFL team.

MNsteelers
03-19-2006, 03:46 PM
With Jerame up in the air right now, that would leave us with Heath and Kranchick, right? So you'd think they'll look for 3rd TE at some point.

Sounds like much ado about nothing, but yeah, sure, bring him in. As legendary scout Ernie Campadino said, "if you stink, it'll only cost us a train ticket."

A gigantic, athletic guy is never bad to consider, but remember, the Vikings went after Brock Lesnar after he hadn't played football since high school, and he was without question the most lost-looking player I've ever seen. He had no business being on a football field. 'Course, he was going against Will Shields of Kansas City. Needless to say, Shields handed him his ass on five straight plays. Quite funny, actually....

redst3
03-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Sounds like weegie Thompson on roids....

rowedf
03-19-2006, 06:40 PM
I understand that, my main point was that normally college basketball players that have not played football since high school do not make great football players no matter the height or weight. I was merely using him as an example. Once again, I wouldn't mind the Steelers bringing him in for a look but I don't see him making this or any other NFL team.

Cool, the thing with Troutman, which I think was kinda dumb, was he did not want to try football, he was more content playing hoops over in Europe .... which finally is starting to make more money, but I do think he woulda made an NFL team.

Midnightwriter1
03-21-2006, 04:57 AM
Our 3rd TE is up in the air, not sure the Steelers are not sold on Kranchek just yet and he is expendable. With the good core of TE's in this years draft.... we could still draft a big guy in later rounds.

stillthere
03-22-2006, 03:53 AM
Matt Kranchick is on the Giants roster. The Steelers have Miller signed, Tuman re-signed and they will need at least two more in camp. I would love to see someone like Pope from Georgia slide in the draft. The kid is a road grater and Miller is an athletic pass catcher. Would be a really nice combo for years to come