PDA

View Full Version : Goodell eyes expansion to London

mesaSteeler
10-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Goodell eyes expansion to London
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_706820.html#
By The Associated Press

Saturday, October 30, 2010

LONDON — Football is in the land of futbol to stay — and with an even bigger presence if NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has his way.

When the San Francisco 49ers take on the Denver Broncos on Sunday at Wembley Stadium, they'll be the latest teams to cross the Atlantic to do their part in helping the league grow its international fan base.

And despite the travel and disrupted schedules such a trip brings, the NFL is charging ahead with plans to increase the number of games it plays overseas.

Tomorrow marks the fourth regular-season game played in London, and Goodell said the success of the previous three sellouts has buoyed his hopes to succeed with his ultimate expansion goal: having a full-time franchise in London.

"Each year, the different barometers indicate that our popularity continues to rise," Goodell said Friday. "I think the next step will be multiple games (in Europe). And if that's successful, then I think the idea of a franchise here is realistic."

He just has to get the players and teams on board first, which may not be all that difficult. Like the teams that came before them, the 49ers and Broncos have only good things to say about their trans-Atlantic trip — focusing more on team-building than jet lag and time spent away from home.

"I've never been out of the country, so this is definitely a good experience and opportunity," 49ers cornerback Nate Clements said. "And I look to take advantage of this and make the most of it."

Of course, it's not exactly easy to bring the full NFL circus abroad. Traveling logistics are one of the biggest challenges, highlighted by the 49ers (1-6) and Broncos (2-5) choosing drastically different strategies for how to approach the matchup.

San Francisco arrived Monday and has spent the week in a five-star hotel in the countryside outside London, getting adjusted to the time difference and practicing on a field with the same wet and slippery conditions expected at Wembley. The Broncos, meanwhile, arrived yesterday.

"Everyone was kind of like walking zombies off of the flight," Broncos offensive lineman Chris Kuper said. "Once we catch up on sleep, we should be fine."

The 49ers have the added disadvantage of being the "home" team, meaning they get one fewer game to play in San Francisco. But with the city turning the spotlight on the Giants for the World Series, it's not a bad time for the struggling 49ers to explore new surroundings.

Goodell acknowledged it's "painful" for teams to give up a home game, and said that's one of the reasons the NFL is considering expanding its regular season to 18 games. That would let teams have eight home games even if they go abroad.

Sending teams so far to play in front of foreigners may seem extreme, but Goodell insists it's the best way to connect with international fans — especially because most of them never have a chance to play the sport themselves.

"That is one of our challenges," he said. "But I think that's where media and bringing our game to those markets meets those challenges. We've seen it here in this marketplace. We've seen it in Japan, Mexico and Canada."

Goodell would not give any hints about a timeline for putting a team in London — "other than as fast as is practical."

The Associated Press can be reached at or .

lionslicer
10-29-2010, 11:22 PM
I like the idea of going to other countries, it is the National Football League after all, not the American Football League. But I'd rather they put teams in Canada first... Plus a London team would totally screw up players sleep schedules and could cause more injuries.

MasterOfPuppets
10-29-2010, 11:34 PM
I like the idea of going to other countries, it is the National Football League after all, not the American Football League. But I'd rather they put teams in Canada first... Plus a London team would totally screw up players sleep schedules and could cause more injuries.
yes it is the national football league. not the international football league. :doh:

SteelersinCA
10-30-2010, 01:02 AM
yes it is the national football league. not the international football league. :doh:

This.

ricardisimo
10-30-2010, 01:30 AM
I think it's hysterical that Goodell has completely given up on Los Angeles - basically because we won't buy any team that moves here a new stadium on the public dime - but he's willing to sink billions of the owners' dollars into this little adventure across the pond that will most definitely fail. Damn he is awful at what he does.

MasterOfPuppets
10-30-2010, 01:50 AM
Goodell acknowledged it's "painful" for teams to give up a home game, and said that's one of the reasons the NFL is considering expanding its regular season to 18 games

. "I think the next step will be multiple games (in Europe).

i knew this was the reason behind the two additional games. every team will be playing at least one game out of the country. there will be an extra bye week added to the schedule and the two teams playing over there will get the bye the following week.

MattsMe
10-30-2010, 03:02 AM

:sofunny:

Asshole.

lionslicer
10-30-2010, 05:16 PM

:noidea:
Technically when you say "National" in America, it means Mexico, US, and Canada. But everyone has their own meaning for words.

ricardisimo
10-30-2010, 05:21 PM
:noidea:
Technically when you say "National" in America, it means Mexico, US, and Canada. But everyone has their own meaning for words.
In baseball, maybe? :noidea:

Technically, when you say "national" you're referring to whatever country you happen to be standing in as the words are coming out of your mouth.

lionslicer
10-30-2010, 05:38 PM
In baseball, maybe? :noidea:

Technically, when you say "national" you're referring to whatever country you happen to be standing in as the words are coming out of your mouth.

Apparently "national" news channels, the National means Canada and United-states, and they actually have put it in certain online dictionaries. Also means mexico if someone living in mexico wants to watch something in english with spanish subtitles.

MasterOfPuppets
10-30-2010, 06:40 PM
na·tion·al adj.1. Of, relating to, or belonging to a nation as an organized whole: a national anthem.
2. Of or relating to nationality: their national origin.
3. Characteristic of or peculiar to the people of a nation: a national trait.
4. Of or maintained by the government of a nation: a national landmark.
5. Being in the interest of one's own nation: Isolationism is a strictly national policy.
6. Devoted to one's own nation or its interests; patriotic.

n.1. A citizen of a particular nation. See Synonyms at citizen (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/citizen).
2. A contest or tournament involving participants from all parts of a nation. Often used in the plura

in·ter·na·tion·al adj. Abbr. int. or intl.1. Of, relating to, or involving two or more nations: an international commission; international affairs.
2. Extending across or transcending national boundaries: international fame.

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2010, 06:57 PM
i knew this was the reason behind the two additional games. every team will be playing at least one game out of the country. there will be an extra bye week added to the schedule and the two teams playing over there will get the bye the following week.

Assuming there is no lockout in 2011 I would be surprised if the Steelers do not play the London game - hopefully it will be what would be one of the road games

ricardisimo
10-31-2010, 01:50 AM
Assuming there is no lockout in 2011 I would be surprised if the Steelers do not play the London game - hopefully it will be what would be one of the road games
You think? I would imagine that if they are serious about growing the sport abroad they most definitely will not be copying this year's formula. Yeah, I'm sure Denver-San Fran will win the Limeys over in a heartbeat. Let's see... let's take two 8-8, non-playoff teams from last year and send them over for our prestigious international stage game. Great move.

SteelCityMom
10-31-2010, 09:19 AM

The NHL is the National Hockey League, yet they have teams in Canada and US. :noidea:

This idea with the NHL seemed to go over pretty well this year too (at least I didn't hear anyone complaining). For a few years now, NHL teams have gone over and played in different countries in Europe for preseason games. This year, they had preseason games against KHL teams and played some of their regular season games (against another NHL team) in Europe as well. It seemed to go over well. I thought it was neat.

I don't know how European football teams would go over (especially over there), but I think adding Canadian teams to the league (since they already have a league that is popular) would be a good idea.

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2010, 10:25 AM
You think? I would imagine that if they are serious about growing the sport abroad they most definitely will not be copying this year's formula. Yeah, I'm sure Denver-San Fran will win the Limeys over in a heartbeat. Let's see... let's take two 8-8, non-playoff teams from last year and send them over for our prestigious international stage game. Great move.

Could have been worse - this year could have been the long awaited appearance of the Cowboys in London:chuckle:

It's a crap shoot as to whether you get 2 good teams given the parity ion the league- the consensus was Denver was going to be terrible but the 49ers were expected by virtually every media type to win the NFC West - what i cannot figure out is why the 49ers are going again after having played the first London game against the Cardinals in 2006 (another riveting match-up)

Since nobody wants to give up a home game against a high profile opponent that narrows your options. So you get this sort of dreck

2006 Cardinals - 49ers
2007 Dolphins - Giants
2008 Saints - Chargers
2009 Patriots - Bucs

ricardisimo
10-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Can you imagine Cowboys-Vikings abroad? The battle of the basement dwellers! And yet we were still all talking about it, I guess.

Brett Favre.

Boobs.

Kanata-Steeler
10-31-2010, 05:33 PM
London ?!
Nope, I think you mean TORONTO. Gawdell !!!