PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign defensive lineman

MasterOfPuppets
10-30-2010, 03:18 PM
The Steelers have signed defensive lineman Steve McLendon to the 53-man roster and waived rookie linebacker Thaddeus Gibson, their fourth-round draft choice.
McLendon was added to the roster because defensive end Aaron Smith had surgery on Monday to repair a torn triceps, an injury that will keep him out most of the regular season, if not the entire season.
But the Steelers are planning to keep Smith on the active roster in case theyh make the playoffs and he is able to play.
The Steelers can sign Gibson to the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10303/1099485-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz13sKgsWDL

SteelKnight
10-30-2010, 04:09 PM
I really hope Gibson clears wavers. At times he was looking better than Worilds. What a shame!

I guess this means they are serious about signing Woodley. If not, they would have released Sylvester.

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Dicey move to cut a 4th round pick and hope he clears waivers based on Smith's return being no sure thing

Maybe the coaches already have decided Sylvester and Worlds are the keepers at LB from this draft, but unless he is a bust I keep Gibson - FWIW Gerry Dulac thinks Madison should have been cut

I guess Batch stayed based upon the fear Arizona would claim him off waivers to add to the Cardinals collection of old Steelers?

Fire Arians
10-30-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm not sure I like this move but we are short on d-linemen. gibson shows real potential and thought he looked better than worilds in the preseason

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I would have cut Arnaz Battle instead of GIbson. GIbson looks like he has the potential to have a long future with the Steelers ahead of him, Battle, does not (he's just a stop-gap right now). Battle has done little so far this year to justify his roster spot, outside of a few special teams contributions.

We have plenty of good receivers as well as LBers. I hope some team that is desperate for LBers (like NE) doesn't snatch Gibson off the waiver wire this weekend-- Darth Hoodie already has a bit of a history of poaching former Steelers linebackers.

lionslicer
10-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Dicey move to cut a 4th round pick and hope he clears waivers based on Smith's return being no sure thing

Maybe the coaches already have decided Sylvester and Worlds are the keepers at LB from this draft, but unless he is a bust I keep Gibson - FWIW Gerry Dulac thinks Madison should have been cut

I guess Batch stayed based upon the fear Arizona would claim him off waivers to add to the Cardinals collection of old Steelers?

Happens that the Steelers have 3 of the most injury prone quarterbacks on their roster, not reason to get rid of one just to sign him back after Ben goes down and Leftwich goes in just to break his leg or something and only have ARE. Ben really isn't injury prone, but he puts his body on the line and you don't want to have a lack of quarterbacks when he breaks in half or something.

I want to know what players do you think the Steelers should cut? If Smith makes it for the final 2 games of the season, those could be must win games and Smith on the team could really help, and if they are in the playoffs, him in the playoffs would be a very big thing.

Gibson seemed to be very good, the linebacking core has the most depth, and sylvester is very good on a special teams unit that was in the gutter last year, and Worilds seems to be a good backup for Woodley. Gibson is the odd man out.

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Happens that the Steelers have 3 of the most injury prone quarterbacks on their roster, not reason to get rid of one just to sign him back after Ben goes down and Leftwich goes in just to break his leg or something and only have ARE. Ben really isn't injury prone, but he puts his body on the line and you don't want to have a lack of quarterbacks when he breaks in half or something.

I want to know what players do you think the Steelers should cut? If Smith makes it for the final 2 games of the season, those could be must win games and Smith on the team could really help, and if they are in the playoffs, him in the playoffs would be a very big thing.

Gibson seemed to be very good, the linebacking core has the most depth, and sylvester is very good on a special teams unit that was in the gutter last year, and Worilds seems to be a good backup for Woodley. Gibson is the odd man out.

Assuming you need to cut a LB I guess Gibson goes - but why is it necessary to cut a LB with Farrior on his last legs and no guarantee you can afford both Woodley and Timmons?

Madison has been an excellent special teams player but let's not forget he came back to the Steelers in 2009 after the Browns and Colts waived him - probably less demand for him than a young LB such as Gibson and Dulac says on special teams this season Arnaz Battle, Will Allen, Jason Worilds and Stevenson Sylvester all are at least as valuable as Madison

I would take my chances on cutting Madison or Dwyer (if that option is open) since Gibson is at least as likely as Dwyer to contribute in the future

Who would you have released?

MasterOfPuppets
10-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Assuming you need to cut a LB I guess Gibson goes - but why is it necessary to cut a LB with Farrior on his last legs and no guarantee you can afford both Woodley and Timmons?

Madison has been an excellent special teams player but let's not forget he came back to the Steelers in 2009 after the Browns and Colts waived him - probably less demand for him than a young LB such as Gibson and Dulac says on special teams this season Arnaz Battle, Will Allen, Jason Worilds and Stevenson Sylvester all are at least as valuable as Madison

I would take my chances on cutting Madison or Dwyer (if that option is open) since Gibson is at least as likely as Dwyer to contribute in the future

cutting dwyer wouldn't have done any good considering they needed one of the 53 roster spots open, not the practice squad.

ricksteelers55
10-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Dwyer is on the 53 man roster he's just inactives each games.I would have cut either Battle or one of the CB's (Lewis or Madison)

I was also wondering where's Sonny Harris ? Is McClendon a better option at DE than Harris ? I think Sonny is a free agent right now..

jjpro11
10-30-2010, 10:50 PM
i thought McLendon did pretty well in the Titans game.. i think he could surprise if he's going to stick around for the rest of the season.

ricardisimo
10-31-2010, 01:42 AM
More of this idiotic roster-moves chess game. Cut Battle and be done with it already. Who wants to bet that we'll be cutting him four or five weeks from now anyway, and he'll still have two special teams tackles to his resume?

I hope Gibson gets signed by one of our division opponents and goes on to have an illustrious career, saving his best games for when he plays us. It will be a perpetual reminder of how ****ing ridiculous all of these roster moves have been when Tomlin could have just swallowed his pride and cut the dead weight. :banging:

pete74
10-31-2010, 05:04 AM
personally i would of placed Smith on IR. i dont see him coming back from this injury because of his age and how important the muscle he tore is to his game. even if he did come back for the playoffs i cant see him playing anywere close to the level he usually plays not being 100%

mesaSteeler
10-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Steve McLendon Is Back; Thaddeus Gibson Is Waived
Posted on October 30, 2010 by adam
Steelers Lounge
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/steve-mcclendon-thaddeus-gibson-waived/

With Aaron Smith out for an extended period of time and Brett Keisel still hobbled with his injury, it was only a matter of time until Steve McLendon was brought back up from the practice squad. It wasn’t a question of if would happen, but when, and who would be going to make room for him.

On Saturday, we received our answers. McLendon is back, and Thaddeus Gibson is the odd man out.

Gibson, a fourth-round pick this year, being the guy to go is a bit of a stunner. Head coach Mike Tomlin said it was because linebacker is their deepest position and Gibson was simply the “low man on the totem pole.”

In six games he had yet to be active. The question now becomes whether or not there’s a team out there that likes him enough to make another roster move to make room for him, and then claim him on waivers.

It’s a tough situation for the Steelers because Gibson is clearly a young player with some upside, but as a team that’s in a “win now” mode they weren’t in any position to dump a player that’s actually contributing every week.

Frankly, I wouldn’t have been opposed to seeing Jonathan Dwyer as the guy let go on Saturday (Editor’s Note: JJ and Ryan agree). The Steelers aren’t exactly loaded at running back, but Dwyer, like Gibson, has yet to dress for a game and I can’t imagine him being picked up on waivers. And even if he is, a fourth-string running back isn’t exactly the hardest position to fill.

BKAnthem
10-31-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure I like this move but we are short on d-linemen. gibson shows real potential and thought he looked better than worilds in the preseason

The Ravens have the Slowest LB corps in the League...and the Steelers cut Gibson:doh:

lionslicer
10-31-2010, 10:35 AM

They aren't cutting him more than they are just moving him around. If they were just going to release him for good it would have been stupid, but that isn't the case. I probably would have cut one of the corners since there is like 5 on the roster and the Steelers only use 3 or 4 in the game and usually a back up saftey gets more time at corner than the actual backups.

Or Battle, but I don't know exactly how the roster salary works at the moment and if releasing him would make it hard to sign anyone else or what. But from what I just looked at on some stats, he has actually been on the inactive list a couple of games, so its not like he's on the sideline tacking up space.

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2010, 06:57 PM
They aren't cutting him more than they are just moving him around. If they were just going to release him for good it would have been stupid, but that isn't the case. I probably would have cut one of the corners since there is like 5 on the roster and the Steelers only use 3 or 4 in the game and usually a back up saftey gets more time at corner than the actual backups.

Or Battle, but I don't know exactly how the roster salary works at the moment and if releasing him would make it hard to sign anyone else or what. But from what I just looked at on some stats, he has actually been on the inactive list a couple of games, so its not like he's on the sideline tacking up space.

Bouchette from the P-G says it is likely Gibson gets picked up on waivers tomorrow so the effect is the same as if they cut him - tough to justify losing a 4th round pick when there are other marginal players on special teams who could have been exposed to the waiver wire - nobody sees Battle or Madison as a potential long term asset - a 4th round pick is supposed to be, at least in his first year with the team