SteelerDan43
03-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Here is the story... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2376850

Suitanim
03-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Maybe Condi WILL take over for him???

pucho58
03-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Why not Dan Rooney. I think he will do a great job.

Ambridge
03-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Maybe Condi WILL take over for him???

Where's Rudy Giulianni??

Suitanim
03-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Terrell Owens signed by the Cowboys, and Paul Tagliabue retires...

Coincidence?

I think not!

TexaSteeler
03-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Terrell Owens signed by the Cowboys, and Paul Tagliabue retires...

Coincidence?

I think not!

You think Tag just threw his hands in the air and gave up on the league?

MattsMe
03-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Looks like the CBA negotiations wore him out. He's done some good things for the league, and at his age he deserves a break.

SalukiSteelers
03-20-2006, 06:04 PM
The NFL has never been stronger. Congrats on, and thank you for, all the things he did right during his 17 years at the helm. Hopefully Mr. Rooney stays where he belongs -- running the greatest franchise in the NFL. As for Condi, maybe she should work at cleaning up some of her boss' messes before she leaves for greener pastures.

WWIIOwheelz
03-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Anyone else read where Tagliabue called Mr. Rooney as one of the only calls he made prior to his announcement? He emailed most all the rest of the owners. I thought that was pretty neat.

Mr. Clean
03-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Tagliabue did his best work as NFL legal counsel in the mid 1980s when the USFL sued the NFL over antitrust violations.
The UFL won only one of nine counts and was awarded $1, which, under antitrust law, was tripled to $3.

Tagliabue screwed up the 1993 NFL expansion. Baltimore and St. Louis should have been awarded teams. Instead, Charlotte got one team - Tagliabue wanted Charlotte - and the owners compromised on Jacksonville when they could not agree on Baltimore or St. Louis.

Subsequently, the Rams and Browns left thier cities for St. Louis and Baltimore. The NFL had to expand to Cleveland. Los angeles has no team. Jacksonville has to cover with tarps thousands of seats to sell out.

Not good work there.

DIESELMAN
03-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I wish him well he's done a lot for the league.....

The Associated Press reports secretary of state Condoleezza Rice is not applying for the newly opened post of NFL commissioner - not now, anyhow, her spokesman said carefully Monday, March 20. Rice is enjoying being secretary of state "at the moment," spokesman Sean McCormack said. The wiggle-room in his response after NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced he would retire resonated off frequent only half-joking statements by Rice that as a lifelong football fan she aspires to run the league one day. New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft seems to be in Rice's corner for the football post.

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons general manager Rich McKay would have owner Arthur Blank's support if the other owners feel McKay would be a good replacement for NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue. Blank said, "There's no question that Rich, given his experience on the competition committee, his leadership in the league and roots and experience in the game, is well thought of. Having said that, the league has to go through a process, and I think, as important as anything, is that it's a personal process that Rich and [wife] Terrin and their family would have to make. It's a major commitment."

Livinginthe past
03-21-2006, 01:44 AM
If Condoleeza gets the post maybe she will spearhead an invasion of the CFL - it might take 3 or 4 years of occupation and bloodshed but the Canada would be a much more liberated place to live afterwrds.

NM

Ambridge
03-21-2006, 09:54 AM
If Dan Rooney was 15-20 years younger he would make the perfect NFL Commissioner....he's probably a little too old for the position now.

How appropriate that the last Lombardi Trophy Presentation by Paul Tagliabue was to
Mr. Rooney and the Steelers Organization?!?!

Suitanim
03-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Condi made a statement saying that, although it's her dream job, she's not interested "At this time".

Which means that in July, she may be interested.

Condi's resume:

Started College at age 15
Speaks 5 languages fluently
Has a PhD from the University of Denver in International Studies
Classically trained pianist
Authored 3 books
Has served in every President's administration in some capacity since Nixon

I'd say she'd make a fine NFL Commissioner.

SteelerDan43
03-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Condi made a statement saying that, although it's her dream job, she's not interested "At this time".

Condi's resume:

Authored 3 books

There are alot of genius I would trust with a bb-gun. Just because your a fan and a very smart one at that doesnt make you a qualified canidate. I would much prefer someone who has worked in the front office of at least some professional sports team. Preferably one who has worked in football.

Ambridge
03-21-2006, 04:10 PM

Condi's resume:

Authored 3 books

I think Condi or Giuliani would do fine as NFL Commissioners.
Sure they don't have any NFL experience but Tagliabue was just an attorney for the NFL and Pete Rozelle was a PR person before they both took the position.
The thing that Rice and Rudy have that is valuable to the position is that they know how to deal and communicate with people at high levels of federal and local governments.....more than likely these people have egos, attitudes and are influential(have money).....which sounds like a majority of the 32 owners of the league.

tony hipchest
03-21-2006, 05:40 PM
There are alot of genius I would trust with a bb-gun. Just because your a fan and a very smart one at that doesnt make you a qualified canidate. I would much prefer someone who has worked in the front office of at least some professional sports team. Preferably one who has worked in football.i agree with ambridge. she has worked in the front office of our nation. working in the front office of a sports office would be small fries and boring according to her skills. being the commish would probably be like a hobby to her. the fact that as of now she would rather stick with her lower paying public service job says alot about her dedication. she meets with leaders of nations that want our head on a stick. meeting with the leader of the players association would be nothing. she would probably be the most overqualified person, let alone woman, to ever apply for an nfl job. now the real question is if 32 old school or glass ceiling corporate men would actually vote in a women, let alone minority, to head up what has always been seen as a mans game. she did take over for colin powell, and would have tagliabue to teach her the ins and outs for 2 years. its almost too bad shes not lobbying for the job. it would be interresting to see how it would all play out.

just watching pti and they brought this up. apearantly she told a close friend that it was bad timing and why couldnt tagliabue wait 2 more years to retire. sounds like she really was interrested.

SteelerDan43
03-21-2006, 06:39 PM
i agree with ambridge. she has worked in the front office of our nation. working in the front office of a sports office would be small fries and boring according to her skills. being the commish would probably be like a hobby to her. the fact that as of now she would rather stick with her lower paying public service job says alot about her dedication. she meets with leaders of nations that want our head on a stick. meeting with the leader of the players association would be nothing. she would probably be the most overqualified person, let alone woman, to ever apply for an nfl job. now the real question is if 32 old school or glass ceiling corporate men would actually vote in a women, let alone minority, to head up what has always been seen as a mans game. she did take over for colin powell, and would have tagliabue to teach her the ins and outs for 2 years. its almost too bad shes not lobbying for the job. it would be interresting to see how it would all play out.

just watching pti and they brought this up. apearantly she told a close friend that it was bad timing and why couldnt tagliabue wait 2 more years to retire. sounds like she really was interrested.

She understands how the government is run and most big corp. like the NFL are run like a government. She would be very good in that sense but the part I dont trust her with would be the well being of the game... She may understand whats in the best interest of a town or gov. but thats not nessecarily the same as whats best for the NFL. She doesnt have an indepth knowledge of the issues something that someone in the league office for a while would. She may be a good CEO type of leader but the fact her knowledge of the NFL is limited to a fans perspective is the part that makes me think she would be a bad choice.

tony hipchest
03-21-2006, 06:46 PM
She understands how the government is run and most big corp. like the NFL are run like a government. She would be very good in that sense but the part I dont trust her with would be the well being of the game... She may understand whats in the best interest of a town or gov. but thats not nessecarily the same as whats best for the NFL. She doesnt have an indepth knowledge of the issues something that someone in the league office for a while would. She may be a good CEO type of leader but the fact her knowledge of the NFL is limited to a fans perspective is the part that makes me think she would be a bad choice.i dont know how much of that stuff tagliabue knew when he took over. he was a lawyer, not a football exec. the labor and tv deal are set for about 6 years. tagliabue will stick around in an advisory role for the next 2 years. plenty of time for her to learn on the job before she had to do anything really BIG. if tagliabue has done as good of a job as hes been said to do the league should be able to run on autopilot for the next few years. it is an excellent job for anyone to step into. i bet if you give her 5 years against anyone to learn something in 5 years, she would come out on top 9 times out of 10.

while this will not happen, i definitely dont think it would be a bad thing.

SteelerzGirl
03-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Just about everyone out there has Ms. Rice on their minds as possibly being the next NFL Commish. This morning during Prez Bush's televised press conference, a reporter asked him if Condi was interested in the NFL Commish position. I was anxiously awaiting his response, but wouldn't you know that that's when NBC broke away as they considered the press conference ended at that point. Ugh! I wanted to know his answer...(lol).

I think Ms. Rice would do a fantastic job as the Commish, but I truly do think it's beneath her. She has so much going for her and I could honestly see her being in a much higher position in our country than NFL Commissioner unless she would get burned out and/or tired of politics. I guess we'll see what happens.

I don't see Rudy Giuliani as the NFL Commissioner at all, although he's a cool dude...(lol).

tony hipchest
03-21-2006, 07:17 PM
I think Ms. Rice would do a fantastic job as the Commish, but I truly do think it's beneath her. She has so much going for her and I could honestly see her being in a much higher position in our country than NFL Commissioner unless she would get burned out and/or tired of politics. I guess we'll see what happens.

I don't see Rudy Giuliani as the NFL Commissioner at all, although he's a cool dude...(lol).i read how tagliabue was on a $9.75 or something contract. the article didnt say if that was per year or for the length of it. either way i think the president makes $300,000 something / year.

its obviously not all about the money with her. either she wouldnt fit in at all today in todays nfl (see terrell owens) or she would have alot to teach and offer (see jerome bettis).

tony hipchest
03-21-2006, 07:20 PM

I don't see Rudy Giuliani as the NFL Commissioner at all, although he's a cool dude...(lol).i read how tagliabue was on a $9.75 or something contract. the article didnt say if that was per year or for the length of it. either way i think the president makes $300,000 something / year. funny how the most important leader in the world makes far less than a sports commish.

its obviously not all about the money with her. either she wouldnt fit in at all today in todays nfl (see terrell owens) or she would have alot to teach and offer (see jerome bettis).

Suitanim
03-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Wow, this got a little off track.

First off, Condi is already the most powerful woman in the World, and it was HER who said "My dream job is NFL Commisioner".

Secondly, to think she couldn't adapt is absurd. She served under Richard Nixon AND Bill Clinton, and excelled in both administrations.

Finally, NFL Commissioner is not an easy job. I doubt she'd be bored.

tony hipchest
03-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Finally, NFL Commissioner is not an easy job. I doubt she'd be bored.since i mentionned boring let me clarify:

"working in the front office of a sports office would be small fries and boring according to her skills." -as i responded to her having no front office experience with a major sports team (i dont think this is necessary to be commish). sports office shouldve read: sporting franchise office (or more particularly front office of an nfl team). if she ran the pirates im sure she wouldnt be literally bored, but with her skillset she is much more suited to be the commish of a whole league rather than just the president/ gm of a single franchise (smaller fries).

if it came down to c. rice vs. someonel like theo epstein, im taking condi, no matter what the job.

Ambridge
03-21-2006, 09:48 PM
i dont know how much of that stuff tagliabue knew when he took over. he was a lawyer, not a football exec. the labor and tv deal are set for about 6 years. tagliabue will stick around in an advisory role for the next 2 years.

If Rice got the job I'm sure she'd have a small staff of advisors as well to fill her in and bring her up to speed on certain issues that are a concern to the league. The good thing about not hiring a present NFL Exec is that they don't have any friends and/or allegiances to any particular team or their personel and thus can't be swayed or influenced as easily when it comes to making important decisions.

tony hipchest
03-21-2006, 10:06 PM
If Rice got the job I'm sure she'd have a small staff of advisors as well to fill her in and bring her up to speed on certain issues that are a concern to the league. The good thing about not hiring a present NFL Exec is that they don't have any friends and/or allegiances to any particular team or their personel and thus can't be swayed or influenced as easily when it comes to making important decisions.

isnt art rooney II a lawyer? hed bee a good replacement :bouncy:

Ambridge
03-22-2006, 03:14 PM
isnt art rooney II a lawyer? hed bee a good replacement :bouncy:

I don't know if Art II is an attorney but he has a more important position to fill whenever Dan Rooney decides to retire.

Suitanim
03-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Condi said that she's gonna stay Secretary of State, so the job is still open...

83-Steelers-43
03-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Condi says "no" to job.............

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2380172