Fire Arians
10-31-2010, 08:23 PM
1st and inches, 3 points. what a piece of shit

Fire Arians
10-31-2010, 08:50 PM
1st and 10 at the NO 25 yard line, 0 points

Kanata-Steeler
10-31-2010, 09:04 PM
yup, this 1st half was HORRIBLE - our Offense looked worse than the Cowboys' -and that is really bad !
-lets hope they snap outta this.

AndyWitmyer
10-31-2010, 09:35 PM
This is embarrassing and hard to watch. BA is probably the luckiest OC in the League right now - there are very few men worse than him at his job - even fewer who still have their jobs at the end of the year. We need to get rid of this guy, ASAP!

zulater
10-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Terrible challenge, terrible non challenge, ( 2nd and goal Mendy ball contacted the plane imo) terrible decision to kick the fg ( gave them the half ending tie with Reed's sure miss and resulting field position) and going for it on 4th and 4. :doh:

If the Steelers can overcome this bad of game day coaching they are great!

AndyWitmyer
10-31-2010, 09:44 PM
I know - I feel like I'm watching some sort of bizarre meltdown, right in front of our eyes and in the midst of being 5-1. Sad to see and very frustrating...

Steelers>NFL
10-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Yes, I believe the 4th & 4 call will be the difference in the ball game. The Saints have been moving the ball with ease compared to the Steelers the whole 3rd quarter. Bad call by Tomlin.

Saints D looks very good. Better than the Steelers D right now.

Steelers>NFL
10-31-2010, 09:48 PM
yup, this 1st half was HORRIBLE - our Offense looked worse than the Cowboys' -and that is really bad !
-lets hope they snap outta this.

Actually Cowgirls offense is better than the Steelers. Look at the stats.

SmashmouthFootball
10-31-2010, 09:50 PM
The coaching staff should be embarrassed by their performance tonight. Bad call after bad call. Indefensible. They are not giving the players a chance to win the game and it's sad.

zulater
10-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Tomlin cost us this game. Idiot!

SteelCityMom
10-31-2010, 09:51 PM
It all goes here, or I'll put it here for you. No need to make a new thread every time you want to bitch and moan.

Have at it all you want though...no censoring at all (except the obvious word filters).

Fire Arians
10-31-2010, 09:57 PM
arians must go!

zulater
10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
See what happens when you pass on first down!

AndyWitmyer
10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Man... just when I was ready to accept that the Steelers were destined to lose tonight, THEY HAD SCORE A TD!!! Damnit, now I'll have to emotionally reinvest myself into the game (and more than likely regret it later)

zulater
10-31-2010, 10:00 PM
It all goes here, or I'll put it here for you. No need to make a new thread every time you want to bitch and moan.

Have at it all you want though...no censoring at all (except the obvious word filters).

Bullshit, tomlin's decisions are so bad tonight that they deserve a thread of their own. 4 moronic calls on his part are the reason we're trailing right now. :mad:

SteelCityMom
10-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Bullshit, tomlin's decisions are so bad tonight that they deserve a thread of their own. 4 moronic calls on his part are the reason we're trailing right now. :mad:

No way, I'm doing damage control now...if the Steelers lose, the boards just going to blow up anyway and there will be 10- 15 threads on Tomlin and Arians suck.

Feel free to do any and all bitching here....though I guess your post bitching about me making a bitching thread qualifies too. :chuckle:

zulater
10-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Terrible loss!

AndyWitmyer
10-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Horrible. Just horrible. Heads should roll (but they won't). BA will keep his job (inexplicably). The team should just surrender and replace the terrible towel with a white flag for the last 2 minutes. Pathetic.

zulater
10-31-2010, 10:19 PM
season changer, forget the playoffs, 2009 here we come!@

Fire Arians
10-31-2010, 10:20 PM
if jeff reed doesn't miss the fg we jut need a td to tie

and this guy wants a new contract? forget it, don't let the door hit you bro

SmashmouthFootball
10-31-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm too worn out and mad to detail every idiotic thing we did in this game, but it was embarrassing.

SteelCityMom
10-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah, it was an embarrassing game.

I really do hope they fire Arians this year though...enough is enough.

Saints wanted it more though, and got it. On to the Bungles next week.

AndyWitmyer
10-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Worst game I've seen in a LONG time. And that's saying something, considering there were so many losses to pick over last season.

SteelCityMom
10-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Poor Heath Miller though...I hate to lay any blame on that guy, but that was such shitty luck. It shouldn't have come down to that though. Plenty of opportunities to put the game away before that.

MACH1
10-31-2010, 10:27 PM
This is almost, I say almost as bad as the clowns game.

SteelCityMom
10-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Worst game I've seen in a LONG time. And that's saying something, considering there were so many losses to pick over last season.

No, the Browns and Raiders games last year were definitely worse.

At least this was a loss to a legitimate team and not some scrub team that the entire Steelers team shit the bed on.

Fire Arians
10-31-2010, 10:28 PM
well at least the loss was to an nfc opponent and not an afc rival / division opponent. suck it up and fight the good fight next week

MACH1
10-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Poor Heath Miller though...I hate to lay any blame on that guy, but that was such shitty luck. It shouldn't have come down to that though. Plenty of opportunities to put the game away before that.

He's the arians apologists scape goat this week.

MasterOfPuppets
10-31-2010, 10:29 PM
if jeff reed doesn't miss the fg we jut need a td to tie

and this guy wants a new contract? forget it, don't let the door hit you bro
what do you mean ? jeff reed is money, jeff reed is clutch !!! at least thats what the jackass cheerleaders that used to be here always said. :noidea:

lionslicer
10-31-2010, 10:30 PM
I lost faith in Steeler football. They look like a bunch of sissies in skirts out there.

Saints defense though is playing like the 77 falcons, blitzing 7-8 men a lot, Steelers don't have a chance playing like that, you'll see teams doing that the rest of the Season if the Offense can't beat it.

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2010, 10:31 PM

IMO the play (other then the plays in the Tennessee and Cincy games in which Troy injured his knee) that turned the 2009 season was Heath Miller coughing it up early in the second half against the Chiefs - hopefully no deja vu

Fire Arians
what do you mean ? jeff reed is money, jeff reed is clutch !!! at least thats what the jackass cheerleaders that used to be here always said. :noidea:

lol i used to support reed but the guy is barely kicking .500 that's inexcusable. not o mention his kickoffs suck

sure the one he missed was 51 yards, but in an indoor stadium, most NFL kickers nail this every time

SteelCityMom
He's the arians apologists scape goat this week.

Yeah exactly.

I mean, I'm pissed that it happened...but it was so flukey that I can't be pissed at him about it. It sucked, but there's too much other shit that lost the game for them.

ZoneBlitzer
10-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Just terrible tonight. Too little too late and too little again. Did you honestly think that they weren't going to miss Santonio Holmes? Take it like a tiny speed bump in the road? Well, for most of the game against 2nd and 3rd string DB's the Steelers were absolutely useless.

The D did its part and held in as long as they could but they had to break eventually.

Also, why no QB keeper on 4 and 3/4 of an inch? That comes down to idiotic coaching.

I could barely watch it was so pathetic. This team will only go as far as Ben and the others can take them. And tonight, they pretty much went nowhere for much of the night.

SteelCityMom
IMO the play (other then the plays in the Tennessee and Cincy games in which Troy injured his knee) that turned the 2009 season was Heath Miller coughing it up early in the second half against the Chiefs - hopefully no deja vu

No, I don't see that happening.

Arians sucks, but the offense usually performs a little bit better than this.

Just a shitty game, it happens...just ask the Saints lol.

Atlanta Dan

Reed is gone - kickoffs to the 5, then the 10,and another missed FG (this time in a dome)

MasterOfPuppets
10-31-2010, 10:33 PM
I lost faith in Steeler football. They look like a bunch of sissies in skirts out there.

Saints defense though is playing like the 77 falcons, blitzing 7-8 men a lot, Steelers don't have a chance playing like that, you'll see teams doing that the rest of the Season if the Offense can't beat it.
all they had to do was look at the eagles game from last year. the sad part is that asswipe arians doesn't adjust for it.

SteelCityMom
10-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Reed is gone - kickoffs to the 5, then the 10,and another missed FG (this time in a dome)

I don't like defending him for the most part, but it wasn't a chip shot he was being asked to make.

I think he'll be gone too, but the offense shit the bed on him.

jjpro11
10-31-2010, 10:34 PM
we almost beat them on our worst day.. argh.. movie then bed.

Fire Arians
10-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah exactly.

I mean, I'm pissed that it happened...but it was so flukey that I can't be pissed at him about it. It sucked, but there's too much other shit that lost the game for them.

while true arians contributed the most

MasterOfPuppets
10-31-2010, 10:36 PM
the saints were using their gravity manipulation machine on our kickers...:popcorn:

SteelCityMom
10-31-2010, 10:36 PM
while true arians contributed the most

Oh for sure...I'll never argue that with you lol. I'll never understand why the hell he is still here.

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Thank God they won in Miami - Ed. B. of the P-G predicted 2-2 out of the 4 game stretch starting in Miami -

New England does not scare me - assuming the Steelers get the job done next Monday night It all comes down to the Baltimore game in 5 weeks for getting a home game in the playoffs - a win tonight would not change that

Rick5895
10-31-2010, 10:38 PM
The first half was horrible, the decisions on challenges were horrible, but to be fair to Tomlin he gets the word on those things from the coaches box. I am no Arians supporter but last season we all said run the damn ball in goal to go situations, we did and our O Line got no movement. Arians can't win in that situation. Penalties hurt us tonight so did a very costly turnover by Heath.
The sky is not falling as some might suggest, there is no doubt we beat the bungles then the cheaters.
We will still win this division and be likely 12-4 and a first round bye.
There were lots of mistakes mental tonight by a number of players and coaches.

MasterOfPuppets
10-31-2010, 10:40 PM
the defense isn't stopping anybody by NOT blitzing , so they might as well blitz 6 on every play. :doh:

finesward
10-31-2010, 10:42 PM
ben had his stinker game tonight, so hopefully he'll be good for another 2 games before his next mandatory shitty outing. oh well, imo we needed to be knocked down a few pegs. this team is not the best in football, i'm sorry but not even close. top 5 yes, but too inconsistent to be #1

great job by hood and eason filling in, although they got a bit lucky not having a legit RB running at them. another win that we squandered. oh well whats new huh?

i don't know about you guys but I was irate at the spot after the overturned fumble. why in the world do they put the ball at the half yard line if it was stopped literally a cnt's hair from the goal line. they did this with the miami game too

SteelCityMom
10-31-2010, 10:43 PM
The first half was horrible, the decisions on challenges were horrible, but to be fair to Tomlin he gets the word on those things from the coaches box. I am no Arians supporter but last season we all said run the damn ball in goal to go situations, we did and our O Line got no movement. Arians can't win in that situation. Penalties hurt us tonight so did a very costly turnover by Heath.
The sky is not falling as some might suggest, there is no doubt we beat the bungles then the cheaters.
We will still win this division and be likely 12-4 and a first round bye.
There were lots of mistakes mental tonight by a number of players and coaches.

HEY!

This is the bitching thread....none of that positive crap here! :chuckle:

Just kidding...and I agree with you for the most part (though I'm not sure about the Pats). 12-4 or 11-5 is my ultimate prediction for the year too.

It was just a shit game for a lot of the players and coaches...happens.

lionslicer
10-31-2010, 10:44 PM
the defense isn't stopping anybody by NOT blitzing , so they might as well blitz 6 on every play. :doh:

Worked for the Saints :P

But even when they do blitz, its like they forgot how to do pass rushing techniques. But atleast they are getting some sacks... Sack leading teams from last year like the Vikings have gone 3 straight games without a sack.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
10-31-2010, 10:45 PM
I cannot see how Ben played a part in this loss. The coaches took the ball out of his hands early on.....that was the problem.

Fire Arians
10-31-2010, 10:46 PM
we have to generate points off turnovers. 0 points off 2 turnovers is inexcusable.

AndyWitmyer
10-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results = Bruce Arians

steeltheone
10-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Heaths fumble turned the game!

Steel_Bus_24
10-31-2010, 10:52 PM
This was pretty much Eagles 08......a debacle if you will on the part of our O

Games like this are why other fans/experts think Ben and the Steelers are overrated:headshake:

They looked like idiots out there on O......and how freaking embarrassing was that no TD from the inch line:shake01:

It was so very painfully obvious that one team was playing for their lives and the other was there for some Halloween Candy:mad:

lionslicer
10-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results = Bruce Arians

If I see another wide reciever screen, I'm gonna personally go down to the Steelers training facility and kick him in the nuts... He spent like 3 years with Peyton Manning, how can you not pick up on great offensive schemes from him.. its like he erases his brain everytime he actually does something good. I swear a play that works, he's like "okay we'll never use that again"

AndyWitmyer
10-31-2010, 10:53 PM
It was right around this time last year that the house of cards fell into a heap.

MillerMania83
10-31-2010, 10:54 PM
]TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE game by the entire team, but I'll lay a ton of it on the coaching.

Tomlin with the TERRIBLE challenge that was so obvious he wouldn't win it, then the non challenge on Mendy's TD (yeah I think the ball touched the line, either way you challenge that call)[/B][/I].

Why the heck can't our D stop anyone on 3rd downs, don't matter if it's 3rd and 1, or 3rd and 9, or 3rd and 15 etc...no one steps up and makes a play anymore, the ball is caught/run and then the tackle is made, FIRST DOWN.

Even the announcers said it looked like Ben was facing the old Steelers D with all of the blitz, why doesn't the HoFer hardly ever send the house anymore, I mean cmon, it works way more than not.

The 4th and 4 call, gutsy, but it didn't work, I'm actually on the fence about it yet, as it was onvious if Sanders doesn't jump it Hines is in for a TD.

Jeff Reed, PLEASE, this dude is chokin' every week anymore, IMO, it's in his head....He's in a dome tonight, what's his excuse, no wind/open end of the stadium tonight, he's LOUSY anymore.

Heath Miller, man, I love the guy, but ya can't put it on the carpet, and they showed the stat where he's been doing it too often the past 27 games or so, just can't have it in that situation and you have to know that.

Honestly the running game has been pretty non exsistant lately, they been tryin' but Mendy just isn't the same as he was the first few games....Yeah he breaks one tonight, but ya need him to balance things out all game long.

You can go on and on about that game tonight, it was ugly, wasn't pretty, and this team has issues right now, that if aren't addressed NOW, we could be lookin' at 2009 all over again, seriously, we could....And really it has to start with the coaching, cuz IMO it wasn't even close to good tonight....Adjustments have to be made WAY SOONER then they were tonight, cuz thats what the elite teams do.

Oh one last thing, did I mention that the Saints D looked like what the Steelers used to be, umm, yeah I did, lol, WTF....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, next week, SOMEONE, ANYONE on the D, PLEASE step up and make a play on 3rd down and get the other teams O off the field, PLEASE, I'm BEGGIN, cuz it's drivin' me crazy watching these games and these teams keep drives alive, even on 3rd and long, even when we are winning games, someone has to make some plays once in awhile.... I know it's not going to happen every 3rd down, but this trend goes back even to the past couple of years, we just seem so easy to convert 3rd downs against and I don't understand why with our talent....It's time to start bringing the "kitchen sink" again Dick, at least way more often that you are now, especially against good teams/QB's/WR's....Any coincidence he brings heat late tonight and they get the fumble from Brees, I THINK NOT.

Kanata-Steeler
10-31-2010, 10:55 PM
Both Defenses played equally well today.

But the Offense (aka Ariens) LOST this game for Steelers ! -they were PATHETIC.
In fact both Offense's were pretty bad, except Saints' offense woke up after 2nd half, whereas ours woke up during the last 9 minutes ? way too late.
Today was just a bad day offensively for us, other factors such as Ben missing the first 4 games of an nfl season come into play as well, ..., so, we'll see next week

BUT "Tomlin / BA / Offense" and ya, in that order, better get on the same page soon, becuase the really long picture won't be as bright if they don't.
- every Steeler fan knows that in their guts.

Our "D" is consistent enough to play against any team. But Our "O" is way too up and down like Ariens panties'.

anywwy, the next few games should iron out the weakneess we saw tonite.
ie: Ben, and more no-huddle techniques will improve, ..., and hoepfully it'll be uphill from there.
:tt04:

steeltheone
10-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Wallace is non existant 75% or more of each game...

AndyWitmyer
10-31-2010, 11:03 PM
]...then the non challenge on Mendy's TD (yeah I think the ball touched the line, either way you challenge that call)...[/B][/I].

It almost seemed like he was spooked at the opportunity to challenge the ruling on the field - it's as if the backlash from the ruling in Miami last week got into his head. That's probably a stretch, but it might have been a factor on a subconscious level nonetheless.

steelerohio
10-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Horrible game to watch... a real embarrassment that for sure...

And what was the penalty on Hines Ward when he was trying to catch the football in the endzone and he got creamed by two guys in the first half? I think I heard pass interference on him but I am thinking, "No way!!!"

Steel_Bus_24
10-31-2010, 11:09 PM
The next two games are going to tell us if this 09 all over again

Our O has some serious s**** to work out before next week........the Bengals D Coordinator must be licking his lips...because apparently all you have to do is Blitz the house and our O will fold.......doesn't matter if they got Pop Warner kids out there at DB

steelerohio
10-31-2010, 11:12 PM
yeah, and who knows? That might be the game the Bengals O finally click with all the talent they have there...

stb_steeler
10-31-2010, 11:20 PM

Heath usually raps the ball up with 2 hands, i couldnt believe that happened to him. I seen it bothered him the rest of the game.

MillerMania83
10-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Next weeks game against Cincy is HUGE IMO....Here's another team that is strugglin' (just like the Saints were) with a bunch of talent, especially on the O side of the ball....It's a rivalry/division game, that will be played in primetime in front of the entire world, it's HUGE that the Steelers come with their A game on both sides of the ball....Cuz if it's another stinker, things are gonna get ugly IMO....The Patriots/Brady will have a field day dinkin' and dunkin' right down the field all night long the following week, cuz thats the stuff right now we can't stop, make the catch, then our D makes the tackle, which means move the chains, FIRST DOWN....Time will tell I guess.

Then after that I'll be out there for the Raiders game, and right now, them boys are playin' some good ball these days, and we couldn't beat them the last 2 yrs when they stank, lol.

ZoneBlitzer
10-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Next weeks game against Cincy is HUGE IMO....Here's another team that is strugglin' (just like the Saints were) with a bunch of talent, especially on the O side of the ball....It's a rivalry/division game, that will be played in primetime in front of the entire world, it's HUGE that the Steelers come with their A game on both sides of the ball....Cuz if it's another stinker, things are gonna get ugly IMO....The Patriots/Brady will have a field day dinkin' and dunkin' right down the field all night long the following week, cuz thats the stuff right now we can't stop, make the catch, then our D makes the tackle, which means move the chains, FIRST DOWN....Time will tell I guess.

Then after that I'll be out there for the Raiders game, and right now, them boys are playin' some good ball these days, and we couldn't beat them the last 2 yrs when they stank, lol.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see this team lose to Cincy. The offense is wretched.

stb_steeler
10-31-2010, 11:28 PM

if you notice most teams do the dink pass all day long. For some reason the Steelers dont do it much but then again we have BA.

Shea
10-31-2010, 11:33 PM
I guess this means I can't start a Heath Miller sucks thread?

MillerMania83
10-31-2010, 11:34 PM
if you notice most teams do the dink pass all day long. For some reason the Steelers dont do it much but then again we have BA.

TRUE, lol...But we do the 1 yard bubbly screen to perfection about 5 times a game, lol.

Like tonight when the opposing D was bringing "it" all night, man those quick 2-3 steps drop that Ben does so well and hits our TE right down the middle of the field for big gainers (have to hold on to the ball though, lol) is the way to go so many times IMO...It keep the D a bit more honest and makes them LB's think twice many times...Just a suggestion BA, lol.

lionslicer
10-31-2010, 11:35 PM
I said after the Tampa Bay game that the Saints game would be the true test for this Steelers team, but noooooooooooooooo.... Winning ugly is fine with me, losing great is fine with me, but losing ugly and playing like they did today just doesn't fly. It was not a good game. Steelers were only in the game because luck fell onto Mendy's lap when he got that touchdown run, but that was about it. It should have been 20-3 at the end of the day. Just terrible.

But Steelers still 5-2, still in good shape record wise, but playing wise its bad. Cinicy is a must win, and not an ugly win, it has to be a blowout going into the New England game. Patriots seem to look exactly like the Steelers this year, the wins they have are ugly, and the losses they have are ugly. It will be the ugliest game this season, uglier than either Ravens game. Defense can't carry this offense without a running game, or atleast a short passing game to give them some rest so they are fresh late in the game.

Steel_Bus_24
10-31-2010, 11:36 PM

Its like his mission is to win with Unsuccessful plays:wtf:

lionslicer
10-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Heath usually raps the ball up with 2 hands, i couldnt believe that happened to him. I seen it bothered him the rest of the game.

There has never been a perfect player. Even Jerry Rice had drops, missed blocks and fumbles. Hope he feeds off it to work harder.

BigRick
10-31-2010, 11:38 PM
This is embarrassing and hard to watch. BA is probably the luckiest OC in the League right now - there are very few men worse than him at his job - even fewer who still have their jobs at the end of the year. We need to get rid of this guy, ASAP!

AMEN! Nuff said.:doh:

ricardisimo
11-01-2010, 12:36 AM
I cannot see how Ben played a part in this loss. The coaches took the ball out of his hands early on.....that was the problem.
How so? I saw 31 pass plays to 21 rushes. This despite a close game, and clear evidence (via our only TD tonight) that running the ball more would have paid some dividends.

I suspect that having Ben back is bringing out all of the worst in Arians. Not to sound like clownbyflaw, but we were a better team when BA was forced to stick to sound reason and common sense. Now he has his favorite toy back and it's just play, play, play, fun, fun, fun.

ricardisimo
11-01-2010, 12:38 AM
SteelKnight has beaten you to it, several times I believe.

Shea
11-01-2010, 12:40 AM
BTW, I like the approach of this thread.

People are going to want to vent, and some people are just pessimists.

I personally don't have a desire to bitch about anything with this nights game. It's pretty much a given that a crappy game will happen in a season, and usually more than one stinker will pop up within sixteen games.

Tonight was just a bad night, and not something I'm concerned about for the future of the team as it pertains to this season.

It's nice to see people being able to express themselves around here though without being dismissed, and in some circumstances personally attacked, by mods that insist on telling what members should post, think and feel.

(Wallace, if you are reading this, then yes I'm listening to the song. Mother Mary just hasn't come to me yet!)

ricardisimo
11-01-2010, 12:41 AM

I personally don't have a desire to bitch about anything with this nights game. It's pretty much a given that a crappy game will happen in a season, and usually more than one stinker will pop up within sixteen games.

Tonight was just a bad night, and not something I'm concerned about for the future of the team as it pertains to this season.

It's nice to see people being able to express themselves around here though without being dismissed and being told by mods what they should post, think and feel.

(Wallace, if you are reading this, then yes I'm listening to the song. Mother Mary just hasn't come to me yet!)
God, you are such a bitch.

Shea
11-01-2010, 12:48 AM
God, you are such a bitch.

That's gonna be on my tombstone, isn't it?

toughsticks87
11-01-2010, 12:57 AM
I can deal with a bad week, I just hope this doesn't turn into the 09 season though. We were in 5-2 last year, too....

ricardisimo
11-01-2010, 01:09 AM
That's gonna be on my tombstone, isn't it?
We all have our crosses to bear, my dear. My epitaph will most likely read "dude........... your a troll.........."

OX1947
11-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Little too much detail here. Bottom line is if Heath doesnt fumble, Steeler have the ball on the NO 35, with 5 min left in the game. And the way they were going, they would have probably scored a TD with a few min left in the game. mistskes like fumbles at horrible times, are what lose games....

steeltheone
11-01-2010, 05:47 AM

Nah,,,But it was a huge mistake

theplatypus
11-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Nah,,,But it was a huge mistake

Mistake? It was a perfect hit by the Saints player.

mikegrimey
11-01-2010, 09:22 AM
It was an awful game from an offensive standpoint.

Minus that big bust by Mendenhall we weren't running well and getting beat at the line of scrimmage consistently. Ben and the receivers were inferior at responding to the pass rush. Failed to convert on defense and special teams nice set ups.

Defensively we played one good half and one not so good half. To be fair, when he's on, Brees is one of the most accurate passers in the NFL, but to go 20-22 in the second half is just outrageous. Defense came up with a couple of turnovers, but it wasn't enough, and got stuck when it counted. The Saints embraced being one dimensional and still put up 17 second half points on us, not to mention driving the ball deep into our territory before turning it over once. As someone else mentioned, the Patriots will have a fun time doing this if you don't fix up those holes.

Tomlin has been justly criticized for that early challenge he wasted, I think if he didn't waste a challenge on that he wouldn't have hesitated to challenge Mendenhall's run on 2nd and goal a little bit later (appeared that he got in but I suspect Tomlin was afraid of losing the challenge and not being able to challenge again the rest of the game).

Overall it was a bad performance by the offense which in turn affected the defense negatively. Ben was off and had a hard time handling the pressure, reminiscent of the Eagles and Giants game in 08. We absolutley have to develop a way to counter teams when they go mad with blitzing.

HAWK
11-01-2010, 09:55 AM
As I stated in another thread:

The game's culprit was the (n)o-line. Sure Ben threw a pick at the end, Heath fumbled, and the D gave up 20 points to a offense that's been known to score 5 or 6 TDs a game...but none of that would have mattered if there wasn't pressure EVERY down on Ben. Call it rust, call it whatever. But not since that Eagles game a while back has the no-line and Ben been so harassed. They've done well all year...just not last night. If the receivers don't have time to runs their routes then we're not going to score. If we would have scored when we had the chance that 20 points we gave up to the Saints would have been nothing.

Fire Haley
11-01-2010, 10:20 AM
1st and inches, 3 points. what a piece of shit

You are correct - the O-line sucked.

Congrats Saints. You deserved to win..

Saints played some smart, tough football and kicked the Steelers asses when it counted. Good game.

Lex Yinzer
11-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Just terrible tonight. Too little too late and too little again. Did you honestly think that they weren't going to miss Santonio Holmes? Take it like a tiny speed bump in the road? Well, for most of the game against 2nd and 3rd string DB's the Steelers were absolutely useless.

That's the whole problem with Arians; that douchebag Bob Smizik had a whole column prior to Ben's return about all of us, "idiots" who criticize Arians for, "passing too much and not running enough," and then criticizing him for, "running to much and not passing enough," as if that were the problem.

The man does not understand situational football. Run when you play a team with terrible run defense as opposed to passing 40+ times; when a team's secondary is as beat to hell as the Saints' was, running on first and 20 when they're stopping the run is NOT the way to go. Given better playcalling Ben could have picked the Saints' secondary apart early on, but that would have gone against the run (for a loss) run again (for a short) gain, third and long against an 8-man rush motif offense.

SteelCityMom
11-01-2010, 10:37 AM
That's the whole problem with Arians; that douchebag Bob Smizik had a whole column prior to Ben's return about all of us, "idiots" who criticize Arians for, "passing too much and not running enough," and then criticizing him for, "running to much and not passing enough," as if that were the problem.

The man does not understand situational football. Run when you play a team with terrible run defense as opposed to passing 40+ times; when a team's secondary is as beat to hell as the Saints' was, running on first and 20 when they're stopping the run is NOT the way to go. Given better playcalling Ben could have picked the Saints' secondary apart early on, but that would have gone against the run (for a loss) run again (for a short) gain, third and long against an 8-man rush motif offense.

Ehh...I agree with you to a point, but Ben wasn't able to beat the secondary when the O-line couldn't stop any pressure. It's the O-lines biggest weakness and the Saints exploited it well.

The playcalling was shit overall though, that I will agree with.

24seven
11-01-2010, 10:39 AM
We definitely have our fair share of 2nd string players on both sides of the ball. But the secondary was all 1st string and that's a little scary for down the road.. . I think the worse part was our offense though.. Yes Ben was under pressure constantly, the "no-line" showed up...... But what I can't figure out is how our awesome speedy veteran receivers can't throw a move on these 2nd string corners and get open quickly so Ben can get rid of it. I think they said the Saints had one person that wasn't a 2nd stringer yet they pretty much dominated our passing game. Not into throwing anyone under the bus as it was a team effort but we should have plays designed for this. They talked about hot receivers all night but our hot reads must have been covered pretty well also. It doesn't help that Ben wasn't on target for most of the night either. Unfortunately Ben has these games from time to time.. I think most qb's do. Just still find it baffling that the Clowns put up so many points on em and even won.. Guess it was dog and pony show for the Steelers. Overall it was a pretty boring game though. Very nice run by Mendy, nice block by Hines on the td.. Sanders had a couple good runs.. Were still a strong team.. just gonna have to get our fill in players to step up a little more.

thumper
11-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Saints D looks very good. Better than the Steelers D right now.

And I was lambasted for even mentioning that the Saints D was
good in its own right. They played better than Pgh in this game. And
it was the difference. You don't win NFL games when you only
score 10 points.

thumper
11-01-2010, 10:59 AM

It's nice to see people being able to express themselves around here though without being dismissed, and in some circumstances personally attacked, by mods that insist on telling what members should post, think and feel.

I concur on all points: saw this loss coming, don't think it's a bad loss, and people should be able to vent without being attacked. I was kind of lashed on for just pointing out that the Saints D might be the story of this game, not ours, and it turned out that way. Our D hung tough but our O was so shut down that eventually the D's effort wasn't enough. 10 points won't win game.

SteelCityMom
11-01-2010, 11:07 AM
And I was lambasted for even mentioning that the Saints D was
good in its own right. They played better than Pgh in this game. And
it was the difference. You don't win NFL games when you only
score 10 points.

Nobody "lambasted" you, so drop the victim act. There was a discussion about how overall stats don't tell the whole story...and it is still as true today as it was a few days ago. You made a weak argument and got corrected on it. The Steelers losing to the Saints doesn't change any of that.

Had Arians called a better game plan and had the Steelers offense executed better, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Yes, The Saints D played a good game, nobody said they didn't have a good defense. Steelers D played well for the better part of the game as well...but the Steelers offense gave the team no chance at all to win.

Lex Yinzer
11-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I concur on all points: saw this loss coming, don't think it's a bad loss, and people should be able to vent without being attacked. I was kind of lashed on for just pointing out that the Saints D might be the story of this game, not ours, and it turned out that way. Our D hung tough but our O was so shut down that eventually the D's effort wasn't enough. 10 points won't win game.

I think putting this in the category of, "Our D" vs. "Their D" is the wrong way to look at it.

No one ever said the Saint's defense wasn't tough. It wasn't their defense being tough so much as our Coaching Staff didn't show up. Their pass rush looked worse than it was seeing as how for the most part they were rushing in third-and-long situations. If those third-and-eights, third-and-elevens and third-and-seventeens we were facing were, instead, third-and-ones and third-and-twos that 3rd down conversion percentages very likely shoots up from 30% to 60, 70% and drives continue. Three-and-out multiple times against an explosive offense like the Saints' was not going to get it done, but that's what the motif offense gets you. The offense made no attempt to exploit that depleted secondary.

Our defense was exhausted. They're good, but they can't win every game. A great passing offense was limited to two scores when they typically put up much better numbers. Again, you can put a good bit of that on the coaching decisions; giving them field position by attempting a long field goal, Miller's fumble, the Saints' O just took what we gave them.

lardlad
11-01-2010, 11:43 AM
How so? I saw 31 pass plays to 21 rushes. This despite a close game, and clear evidence (via our only TD tonight) that running the ball more would have paid some dividends.

I suspect that having Ben back is bringing out all of the worst in Arians. Not to sound like clownbyflaw, but we were a better team when BA was forced to stick to sound reason and common sense. Now he has his favorite toy back and it's just play, play, play, fun, fun, fun.

You know it really does seem this way. I have suspected that BA goes a little too far when Ben is playing. I swear they could care less about first downs. It seems that every pass play is designed for a 30+ yard gain.

Even after winning SB43, I said I don't care how strong the offense was, fire Arians. The only time they were and still are effective is 2min drill… when it is out of his hands. I realize there are other things involved like keeping the defense on their toes, but they get so much better in hurry up. I believe what is gained by running this offense does not equal what you see when the Steelers run it. There is a fair amount of success added on top of that because the plays are taken away from him. I am convinced of that!

I am also tired of the news and papers saying oh it wasn't his fault Miller fumbled, it wasn't his fault on three plays they couldn't gain an inch. What about the other plays. All the 3rd downs that were incredible failures. They never had the right offense lined up to counter the Saints' blitz. Until the 2min drill. This guy should not be coaching our offense.

Whodis
11-01-2010, 01:09 PM
The crazy part about the 1st and inches is I told my buddy durring the Pats / vikings game that any coach that doesnt call a QB sneak there should be fired!

Go figure

I love how the Pitt writers say the Saints shut down the long ball to Wallace. Did we throw mor then one long pass? The screens still seem to be getting a yard or 2. I could only imagine our talent with good coaching

fred
11-01-2010, 01:57 PM
The Saints adjusted their game plan.......they knew they couldn't run on the Steeler's D so they went with the
quick passes.......and Brees got HOT..............you'd think the Steeler's O would have adjusted after halftime to
the blitzes that were being sent in.........receivers should've been watching and be ready for the hot reads......
Ben had heat all night.....hopefully they'll adjust.......since we know this is a copycat league.....more teams
will start using this tactic against the Steelers..................

theplatypus
11-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I love how the Pitt writers say the Saints shut down the long ball to Wallace. Did we throw mor then one long pass? The screens still seem to be getting a yard or 2. I could only imagine our talent with good coaching

The Saints shut it down by not giving the QB time to throw the ball deep. THIS GAME WAS NOT LOST BY THE ****ING COACHES! It was poor execution in all facets of the offenses play. THe line blocked like shit, the wide receivers weren't even paying attention on hot routes. Ben refuses to be happy with 5 yards, he tries to turn every route into 30 plus yards.

welder4pit
11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
It was right around this time last year that the house of cards fell into a heap. YEP!!:banging:

SteelCityMom
11-01-2010, 02:55 PM
To be fair...it was this same time of year 2 years ago that the Steelers were 5-2 and had just lost a heartbreaker to the defending SB champs. :noidea:

lionslicer
11-01-2010, 02:57 PM
To be fair...it was this same time of year 2 years ago that the Steelers were 5-2 and had just lost a heartbreaker to the defending SB champs. :noidea:

That was a heartbreaker... it wasn't the Steelers playing like a junior varsity team

Though the schedule seems similar. Steelers in 2008 lost in early in the season. But if it is the same, they would lose in week 10 against the Patriots, like they lost to the Colts in week 10. And against the Jets in week 16

welder4pit
11-01-2010, 03:03 PM
To be fair...it was this same time of year 2 years ago that the Steelers were 5-2 and had just lost a heartbreaker to the defending SB champs. :noidea: I thought this was a bitch thread LOL. Felt left out and wanted to get my 2 cents in that no one really cares about.

SteelCityMom
11-01-2010, 03:07 PM
That was a heartbreaker... it wasn't the Steelers playing like a junior varsity team

Oh man...don't make me go search for threads from that game lol. They (the offense specifically...surprise surprise) played like shit.

Actually, some of it may have been worse than last night.

Ben - 13/29 189 yards 1 TD 4 INTs 5 sacks 1 lost fumble
Moore - 84 yards 1 TD
Jeff Reed - 0/0 2 xpts.

The defense played a little better, but that was about it. No sacks, Giants had more rushing and passing yards, one less TD, but 4 FGs.

Their special teams killed us too that game.

All around that game maybe sucked a little bit less...but not much at all.

SteelCityMom
11-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I thought this was a bitch thread LOL. Felt left out and wanted to get my 2 cents in that no one really cares about.

LOL...I know. Just think of it as me bitching about that and it'll make everything even out. :wink02:

lionslicer
11-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh man...don't make me go search for threads from that game lol. They (the offense specifically...surprise surprise) played like shit.

Actually, some of it may have been worse than last night.

Ben - 13/29 189 yards 1 TD 4 INTs 5 sacks 1 lost fumble
Moore - 84 yards 1 TD
Jeff Reed - 0/0 2 xpts.

The defense played a little better, but that was about it. No sacks, Giants had more rushing and passing yards, one less TD, but 4 FGs.

Their special teams killed us too that game.

All around that game maybe sucked a little bit less...but not much at all.

Tell you the truth I don't remember the game at all. I knew the score was 21-14 and you said heartbreaker, and heartbreakers are usually both teams playing equal until one just pulls through at the end. Maybe you should have said Steelers lost a game against the defending superbowl champs in a shitty fashion like they did against the Saints

fer522
11-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Tomlin cost us this game. Idiot!

i could not agree with you more:tt03:

tony hipchest
11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
We all have our crosses to bear, my dear. My epitaph will most likely read "dude........... your a troll.........."instead of a gravestone with epitath you should just erect a tiny stone bridge, that way you will forever be under a tiny stone bridge.

:troll:

zulater
11-01-2010, 08:09 PM

Conversly it was just over a year ago that the Steelers were 6-2 and just about to embark upon a 5 game losing streak.

This season could go either way, or somewhere inbetween. :noidea:

SteelCityMom
11-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Conversly it was just over a year ago that the Steelers were 6-2 and just about to embark upon a 5 game losing streak.

This season could go either way, or somewhere inbetween. :noidea:

Lol...yeah, that's why I brought that up, cause someone mentioned that this time last year is when the Steelers really lost the season.

I'm hoping it goes the way of '08 though of course...half glass full and all that crap. :chuckle:

zulater
11-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Here's what I want to bitch about.

No qb sneak form the one foot line.

Bad challenge that had no chance to work.

Lack of challenge on 2nd down and goal run by Mendenhall that appeared to have had the ball cross the plane.

Missed helmet to helmet call on play where Hines was flagged for OPI. Should have been offsetting penalties and without that ten yard loss Steelers likely cash in that drive for points.

51 fg att. with that amount of time left in the half.

4th and 4.

Heath's fumble. :doh:

tony hipchest
11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
if you watch the replay from 1st and goal with inches, pouncey gets massive penetration and pancakes the guy right infront of him whom he was blocking. the next 2 failed plays pouncey was pulling and taking on blockers at a wide angle.

i was sure the 1st play would be a qb sneak. i think everyone expected that.

and therin lies the problem. even if a play is a sure-shot, arians will shy away from it because he ALWAYS wants to do something unconventional and unpredictable.

instead of letting the players win with their sheer force and skill, he wants to win games with his brains. the steelers want to out physical teams and punch them in the mouth. arians wants to outsmart them and always catch them off guard.

joey porter had an opinion on this type of football played by the colts. my opinion is the same.