PDA

View Full Version : Missed Santonio

steeltheone
11-01-2010, 05:54 AM
This is where Holmes was a big plus. He adjusted from his route and got open when BR7 was in trouble. Wallace disappears from the game totally.

I'm sure he will get better. But it is a missing link right now.

SteelCityMom
11-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Ben didn't have time to throw to his check-down receivers at time, I don't see how he would have had time to throw to Holmes.

It was just a good defensive strategy by the Saints, nothing more, nothing less. Having Holmes over Wallace wouldn't have made that big of a difference.

mikegrimey
11-01-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't know, I think Holmes would have been good for 1 or 2 plays, but you never know, it's impossible to faithfully revise history.

I think Ben should have been able to check down though, he seemed off, and the receivers looked off a lot too. Just a bad game all around from Ben and co. minus the no-huddle work.

theplatypus
11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I don't miss Holmes one bit. He was a good player, but he's long gone. I think one of the biggest problems with this offense(outside of our blocking) is Ben's reluctance to dink and dunk. I hate the dink and dunk game too, but if that's all the Defense is giving up you have too take it. The chains keep moving, the defense gets some rest........

steelerohio
11-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I didn't miss Holmes either... like being said before, ben didn't have much time very often to check down his recievers and the Saints defense was covering the receivers quite well too...

ZoneBlitzer
11-01-2010, 10:57 AM
This is where Holmes was a big plus. He adjusted from his route and got open when BR7 was in trouble. Wallace disappears from the game totally.

I'm sure he will get better. But it is a missing link right now.

I agree completely. You can't just lose that chemistry the he and Ben had and expect to not feel any sort of side-effect.

What's worse is that our receivers struggled to get open against 2nd and 3rd string DB's.

mikegrimey
11-01-2010, 10:59 AM
^ Ditto the remark about not throwing well against 2-3rd string CBs. Reminded me of the Browns game last year where they were missing like 5 or 6 starters and we still couldn't be effective.

Fire Arians
11-01-2010, 12:41 PM
lack of hot read options to combat the blitz, that blame is on arians

Whodis
11-01-2010, 01:14 PM
If Holmes would call the plays instead of Arians I would have to agree that having him would be a plus. If not it's the same shit sandwich on different bread.

madtowndrunkard
11-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I recall late in the game on 3rd and about 8 yards to go....every WR was running deep...at least 10-15 yards down field. With NO one underneath Ben had nothing to go to....and took a sack. It was obvious the Saints were bringing the blitz on 3rd and long. The play calling was set up for us to fail.

That exact problem happens with regularity. It's been an issue ever since Arians took over the play calling from Whiz. The difference in the offensive game plan and play calling w/ Whiz vs Arians is just crazy. I always liked the way Whiz called a game, I had no idea how good he was until Arians took over.

theplatypus
11-01-2010, 01:27 PM
lack of hot read options to combat the blitz, that blame is on arians

You are a one trick pony sometimes. We had hot routes and either the receivers weren't paying attention or Ben would try his pump fake. Even the announcers kept saying that the receivers need to starting looking back on the hot reads.