PDA

View Full Version : Problems- The good, the bad, and the ugly

tony hipchest
11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
the good- the steelers are a very disciplined team who arent heavilly penalized. there sack numbers are significantly down this year from previous years. vs. the saints they had 7- 4 penalties/3 sacks.

the bad- when they are sacked or penalized it seems to be at some of the most crucial or possible gamechanging moments of the game.

the ugly- sacks and penalties have occured after turnovers and taken us out of fg range, or killed drives in the 2 losses. our final drive in 2 losses ended with interceptions.

the good - ben is back and looks as healthy and tougher to bring down than ever.

the bad- ben ducked a blitz fom saints DE (Will 91? 90?) and held him on his back w/o going down and then flipped him. will still got the sack.

the ugly- ben has taken sacks, or thrown errant throws, and ignored wide open running lanes where he can use his power to take on DB's. the db's arent leaving their men in coverage to chase a scrambling ben like they have in years past.

the good- ben is back and arians got his main weapon.

the bad- passing yards are up, but our rushing attempts and yardage are on a steady decline. our tendencies and gameplan are clear with ben. with the backups we were unpredictable. any 3rd down with more than a yard to go is a passing play.

the ugly- this came to a head last night vs the saints when our defense was on the field for more than 35 minutes. our defense is designed to be on the field for 28-29 minutes.

the good- the blueprint to beat the steelers 3-4 zone blitz is old and antiqiated, because teams wanna cling on to some commitment to the run. our defens is still #1 in rush defense.

the bad- we have forced teams to abandon the run. an accurate qb who doesnt get impatient and is allowed to throw 50 times a game (w/o trying to go deep every 5 plays) can effeciently move the ball and control the clock.

the ugly- the patriots and raiders did it in 2002. the saints did it last night. teams will continue to do this until we get more pressure. its almost impossible to get pressure on 1-3 step drops.

stb_steeler
11-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Face it the OL is penetrated on every play. Nothings changed there. All teams are gonna gun for the all out blitz now.

ZoneBlitzer
11-01-2010, 06:33 PM
The good - The warts on this team have revealed themselves now.

The bad - Tomlin is starting to remind me of Lovie Smith with his decision making and football acumen.

The ugly - Receivers can't get open against 2nd and 3rd string DB's.

frunko1
11-01-2010, 06:34 PM
"the ugly- the patriots and raiders did it in 2002. the saints did it last night. teams will continue to do this until we get more pressure. its almost impossible to get pressure on 1-3 step drops. "

what some teams have started doing is getting their dline players to just keep in the qbs vision and get their hands up. I forget what team it was but they knocked down a bunch of passes.

ricardisimo
11-01-2010, 06:38 PM
It will be interesting to see if every team from here on copies the Saints' gameplan. We will almost certainly set an NFL record for rush yards allowed. :popcorn:

However, if we're giving up 300+ yards in the air at the same time, it really doesn't matter, does it? I'm confident Lebeau will adjust and correct as the season goes on. I'm not so confident that our OC will. I fully expect pass plays to creep ever upwards week after week. :banging:

Steeler4life1972
11-01-2010, 06:41 PM
The problem with our offense is a lack of spread...teams do this against us and with the receivers we have we should spread opposing teams defenses more frequently(arians fault). Defense lack of pressure is because we have to help with pass coverage with more bodies plain and simple. That goes back to teams doing what we should do...they spread our defense.

tony hipchest
11-01-2010, 08:56 PM
the good- matt spaeth is improving.
the bad- i saw matt spaeth in for more snaps than i can remember w/o starting in place of heath).
the ugly- in arians system 4 wide with all our skill players is more effective against the blitz than 3 te sets or 22 formation to max protect.

SteelersinCA
11-02-2010, 01:50 AM
I think we need to spread it out as well. With the injuries mounting it's gonna be tough to stop the all out blitz. Hell what do I know BA clearly has it under control...

Third Rail
11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
the bad- ben ducked a blitz fom saints DE (Will 91? 90?) and held him on his back w/o going down and then flipped him. will still got the sack.

Meh, I don't know that was really all that bad. I know Ben still got sacked, but that was still a pretty badass moment on his part. Most quarterbacks would have just folded like a piece of paper (or ducked to the ground before being touched, like Peyton Manning) but Ben damn near leveled the guy and would have stayed on his feet had Will not been able to hang on.

tony hipchest
11-02-2010, 10:48 AM
unfortunately this thread is called "the good, the bad, and the ugly" not "the good, the good, and the ugly".

a sack is bad no matter how rosy you paint it.

Rotorhead
11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
The problem with our receivers not being able to get open is the routes take way too long to run. The short passing game will work for us just as well as anyone else (see the no-huddle success we have) but that is not Arians type of play style. Our running game is fine mostly and our Oline needs to get into sync soon. Ward, Wallace and Miller are all just fine over the middle and Spaeth is finally getting it, we have a great receiving core to run the short passing game. Our dam goal line loss should have included one pass . . . uugh nevermind, just makes me mad thinking about it lol