PDA

View Full Version : Post-New Orleans thoughts

mesaSteeler
11-01-2010, 09:57 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
Monday, November 01, 2010

Post-New Orleans thoughts

Sorry this is so late, but I didn't get in until 5 a.m. and I wanted to collect my thoughts before writing them.

I'm sure many fans are lamenting a wasted opportunity of first-and-goal from the 1. I'm sure offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is being lambasted. But Arians didn't miss any blocks at the goal line.

And I liked his play calling a lot better than that of New Orleans in the same situation later in the game.

The Saints, who had absolutely no success running the ball all night, attempted a pass on first down - to an offensive lineman.

They then ran the ball on back-to-back plays for losses.

The Saints attempted to spread the Steelers out and beat them throwing the ball.

It didn't work all that well.

I know a loss is a loss. But the Saints attempted 44 passes and score 20 points - at home.

The Steelers struggled offensively in a very loud environment with a rookie center making the line calls.

That was a learning experience for Maurkice Pouncey that will pay dividends down the road.

Brett Keisel should be back this week, which will help the Steelers moving forward. Nick Eason played well in Keisel's absence, but having Keisel in the lineup will help the pass rush.

Is James Harrison a marked man?

That roughing the passer call on him in the fourth quarter was pretty borderline.

steeltheone
11-02-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm not real sure keisel is a big boost to the pass rush. But sure glad he will be back so we can rotate players again!

zulater
11-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Here's a thought, we ran two goalline plays from approx. the 1 foot line, think a qb sneak might have been a good choice there? I know Ben fumbled the week before, but that was on a qb draw, a play he needed to stretch out on because he started his lunge to the goalline from the 2 1/2 yard line. A decently executed qb sneak would have been virtually indefensible imo.

Also on the 2nd down play Mendy looked to have put the nose of the ball across the plane of the goal, a challenge might have been nice there.

theplatypus
11-02-2010, 06:55 AM
Here's a thought, we ran two goalline plays from approx. the 1 foot line, think a qb sneak might have been a good choice there? I know Ben fumbled the week before, but that was on a qb draw, a play he needed to stretch out on because he started his lunge to the goalline from the 2 1/2 yard line. A decently executed qb sneak would have been virtually indefensible imo.

Also on the 2nd down play Mendy looked to have put the nose of the ball across the plane of the goal, a challenge might have been nice there.

If the line doesn't get any push or completely misses blocks it doesn't matter. Redman was tackled from behind on 1st down because Essex completely whiffed. If I remember correctly Legursky missed his block on 2nd.

TRH
11-02-2010, 07:52 AM
well, i understand they were "unprepared" for the crowd noise, but there's no excuse for that. In a dome. On the road. You HAVE to expect that. Coaching staff whiffed big time on that one. It's an embarrassing excuse.

As for the goal line stance, we have become the most predictable team in the NFL when someone is at the 1 or 2 and its 1st and goal.
Run up the middle. Run up the middle. Run up the middle.
Opposing teams all know this and everyone's on to us. They don't even expect us to take a run outside or try a short pass.

BKAnthem
11-02-2010, 09:02 AM
well, i understand they were "unprepared" for the crowd noise, but there's no excuse for that. In a dome. On the road. You HAVE to expect that. Coaching staff whiffed big time on that one. It's an embarrassing excuse.

As for the goal line stance, we have become the most predictable team in the NFL when someone is at the 1 or 2 and its 1st and goal.
Run up the middle. Run up the middle. Run up the middle.
Opposing teams all know this and everyone's on to us. They don't even expect us to take a run outside or try a short pass.

Some Quality O linmen might fix that