PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do?

beSteelmyheart
03-21-2006, 05:35 PM
I have a strange dilemna that I need some advice & opinions on, & was hoping that yinz could help a girl out..
My fiancee sells football cards on ebay & yesterday had a buyer that we think is a pro football player. There are alot of clues to his identity, plus he is buying alot of his own cards, plus some old reels from his dad's college days. Yesterday I sent him a short email asking if he is who we think he is, in a nice, non-groveling way, but we don't expect him to answer.
Now, here is my problem: I'm a portrait artist that wants to get into doing football art, & have a portrait of Ben going right now-the stuff I am capable of is getting to be professional, & I want to break into the business..
Should I email this guy asking if he wants his portrait done (since he is collecting stuff of himself) or should I let it go & not invade his privacy?
He's not a Steeler, but I could make his team colors look very nice, plus design & build a custom metal frame system specifically for the peice that would look awesome.
What do you think? Bug him, or leave him alone?
Here is a link to my Ben portrait...keep in mind that it is not finished!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/beSteelmyheart/morebenart003.jpg

SteelerDan43
03-21-2006, 05:43 PM
I would say do the potrait with out bugging him then put it on ebay and send a link to the guy since he is a "prefered customer" that has bought memorabilia of that player before. If he doesnt buy it it is just more experience as a painter!

Suitanim
03-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Strike while the iron is hot...how many other chances will you have like this?

tony hipchest
03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Strike while the iron is hot...how many other chances will you have like this?

hell yeah, bug him. after all he is buying stuff off you and your husband. he is a customer of YOURS. extend an offer that may turn into a busines opportunity or atleast an acquaintance.

if its not who you think it is (sounds like it is) then atleast you still have a good customer. you have nothing to lose by being proactive

SteelerzGirl
03-21-2006, 06:02 PM
I have a strange dilemna that I need some advice & opinions on, & was hoping that yinz could help a girl out..
My fiancee sells football cards on ebay & yesterday had a buyer that we think is a pro football player. There are alot of clues to his identity, plus he is buying alot of his own cards, plus some old reels from his dad's college days. Yesterday I sent him a short email asking if he is who we think he is, in a nice, non-groveling way, but we don't expect him to answer.
Now, here is my problem: I'm a portrait artist that wants to get into doing football art, & have a portrait of Ben going right now-the stuff I am capable of is getting to be professional, & I want to break into the business..
Should I email this guy asking if he wants his portrait done (since he is collecting stuff of himself) or should I let it go & not invade his privacy?
He's not a Steeler, but I could make his team colors look very nice, plus design & build a custom metal frame system specifically for the peice that would look awesome.
What do you think? Bug him, or leave him alone?
Here is a link to my Ben portrait...keep in mind that it is not finished!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/beSteelmyheart/morebenart003.jpg

Wow, your portrait of Ben is fantastic! You're very good. :smile:

Personally, I would wait and see if the guy responds to your original e-mail first. If so, and he is who you think he is (because he may not be, you never know...(lol), then reply and let him know the scoop about you being a portrait artist, etc., and go from there.

That's what I would do, but it's up to you. :smile:

BB2W
03-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Who is this player you speak of?... and great job on Ben's portrait it looks great. :cool:

geran42o
03-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Great job on the Ben portrait....you've got talent

Suitanim
03-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Who is this player you speak of?... and great job on Ben's portrait it looks great. :cool:

Actually, if it's TO, I rescind my earlier advice...

BB2W
03-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Actually, if it's TO, I rescind my earlier advice...
T.O. uses a mirror and paints portraits of himself... painting a portrait of himself.

melroseplace
03-21-2006, 07:36 PM
T.O. uses a mirror and paints portraits of himself... painting a portrait of himself.

:toofunny:

Ambridge
03-21-2006, 08:31 PM

There's only so many ways T.O. can paint his own *******.

beSteelmyheart
03-22-2006, 07:50 PM
:iagree: and if he is a pro. who knows he could pass your name around the league,and create more oppurtunities for ya.
I've thought about that, too.
So far, he hasn't responded, but my fiancee said it took him 5 days to send payment on his card.
Doing his portrait, then posting it on ebay is a good idea, but finding a really good detailed pic of him might be hard. It would be nice to get a player to send me a really good pic. I've never tried to work from a computer pic yet, but have a feeling it would strain my eyes.
If he does respond & acts like a d'head, I'll reply with "How 'bout them Steelers?" I don't think he'd like that too much!
Thanks for the compliments, too!
(Maybe if Ben cruises the boards..)