PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stat

dyce23
11-02-2010, 02:14 AM
As everyone knows, the Steelers have become a passing team. I just wanted to go back in history a bit and see how we used Parker vs. how we're currently using Mendenhall. I think everyone would agree that Mendenhall is an overall better back, so it really speaks volumes.

Parker's last two healthy seasons with us he had 337 and 321 carries respectively. Last year Mendy had 242. He's on pace for over 300 this year, BUT that production seems like it may slide some because he's only had 15 carries a piece in the last two games. Getting Ben back seems to have brought that "air-it-out" mentality back to Bruce.

Everyone knows we should be running the ball...and everyone knows we need more creativity. I just do not understand having a GREAT talent at RB and not using him to his full potential. He should have MORE carries. And how about some 1st down passing mixed with some 2nd down running? It seems that Arians only knows how to run on first down.

I just wonder how us fans can see this week in and week out and Arians still has a job. I mean, we're not NFL OCs, but it's obvious. We won the Super Bowl two years ago and saved his job. I never thought anything bad could come from a SB, but it sure did in the form of Arians. The man cannot call a solid offensive gameplan.

steeltheone
11-02-2010, 03:24 AM
The Oline is not as good as it was in FWPs first several years.

Whodis
11-02-2010, 07:45 AM
I thought even when they tried to mix it up they had miscues and blown blocking assignments. The frustrating part is you see the run start to get in a groove and we try to start passing. I agree that the creativity is gone. We do nothing to keep a defense on its heels like we did with Wiz. Guess you just hope we start putting things together for the second half of the season.

dyce23
11-02-2010, 12:05 PM

That's true, but let's not act like we couldn't use more running plays being used in more creative ways. Even with the Oline being worse than when Parker was here (averaged 4.7, 4.4, 4.1 during his three consecutive 1,000 yd. seasons) Mendenhall still managed to rush for 4.6 ypc last year and is on pace for 4.1 this year. The play calling is horrible...it's always a first down run with 2 passes following unless Mendy breaks for 8 or more. Also, 4.3 (Mendy's average between the 4.6 and 4.1) translates to 1380 yards on 321 carries.

lionslicer
11-02-2010, 12:17 PM
You can't give up on the run in a game, but when the running back is getting stuffed at the line, its hard to do anything. And the O-line was terrible in 2008, Parker didn't have a 100 yard game until the playoffs. If the O-line can learn to block better, the offense can go back to the 70-30 run to pass ratio it had in 2004 and 2005. Ben throwing limited passes a game and keeping the defense fresh.
But even a short passing game would work. Steelers recieving core is built for this. Ward and El pretty much made their careers as short receptions and yards after the catch. But Arians wont even do that...

stb_steeler
11-02-2010, 01:21 PM

BINGO!!!