PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin regrets not challenging correct call?

zulater
11-02-2010, 03:56 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_707291.html

After reviewing film from the Steelers' 20-10 loss last Sunday in New Orleans, coach Mike Tomlin said he should have challenged a call that might have resulted in a touchdown.

It came on a run by Rashard Mendenhall early in the second quarter from the Saints' 1-yard line. Officials ruled that Mendenhall did not get into the end zone, and the Steelers didn't challenge the call.

"We didn't think he crossed the plane (of the goal line) and he didn't either," Tomlin said."

The Steelers were stopped on third down as well and settled for a 19-yard field goal by Jeff Reed.

While Tomlin said he should have challenged the call, he added that it should not have been an issue since the Steelers had three plays from the Saints' 1-yard line.

What kind of doublespeak is this? Why would you regret not challenging the play if the correct call was made on the field? :noidea:

When i first saw this headline i thought, ok, I can get closure on this now, Tomlin is going to admit to the mistake and we move on. But the non denial-denial just pisses me off all over again! :mad:

We didn't think he crossed the plane (of the goal line) and he didn't either," Tomlin said

Maybe the key is in the word he, as in he didn't cross the plane of the goal line, but the ball sure as hell looked like it did. :noidea:

SteelCityMom
11-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I think what Tomlin means when he says "and he didn't either" is that Rashard didn't think he'd crossed the goal line. When he says "we" I'm assuming he means the guys in the booth, since Tomlin is not privy to the views they get, and gets recommendations on what calls to challenge and what calls not to challenge from them.

He words his statement funny, but what I take away from this is him saying that he (Tomlin), after looking at the play closely, wishes he would have challenged the play. I just think he tried to word it in a way as to not put full blame on any one person for it.

zulater
11-02-2010, 04:38 PM
The Steelers have been awful with reviews since Tomlin became coach. They challenge when they shouldn't, and often don't when they should. They need to "review" the whole proccess of how they go about things, because they aren't getting it close to right.

theplatypus
11-02-2010, 04:54 PM
I get the feeling that zu will be asking the mods to change his name to "Fire Tomlin" soon.

theplatypus
11-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Zu since you're leading the pitchfork crowd I thought you might want to read this.

teelerfaninNM: Ed, what do the coaches see differently in the booth than we do at home. MT challenges an obvious down by contact play on a punt return and then fails to challenge an obvious Mendy touchdown run on that fateful 1st and goal series in which Mendy was tackled on top of the defender and roll over with the ball clearly crossing the goalline, what gives?

Ed Bouchette: I figured this is what happened and after further checking today, I found out it is true. The television in the visiting coaches booth in New Orleans was tuned to the scoreboard view of the game, which is controlled by the home team. The home team will never show a replay if a successful challenge would hurt the home team. Thus, they did not show the replay on the video screen at the game and so the Steelers coaches never saw what we all saw -- the NBC network telecast that clearly showed Rashard Mendenhall had scored. Tomlin had no idea because he did not see it clearly and no one from the Steelers ever saw a replay. He should have called me in the press box because I saw it.

I'm betting dollars to donuts that the same thing happened on the fumble that was challenged.

http://ht.ly/19LupL

zulater
11-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Zu since you're leading the pitchfork crowd I thought you might want to read this.

I'm betting dollars to donuts that the same thing happened on the fumble that was challenged.

http://ht.ly/19LupL

Think the Patrioits allow that to happen to them? They probably have someone splice into the system to get the network feed to the coaches, short of that, perhaps they have a plant in a Superbox letting them know when a play is close.

zulater
11-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I get the feeling that zu will be asking the mods to change his name to "Fire Tomlin" soon.

No I wont. 95% of coaching occurs before the players lace up their spikes on gameday. I have no problem with how the team is composed, how they prepare for games, motivation, discipline etc... But they said on the NBC broadcast that Tomlin is among the league's least likely coaches to challenge, and that when he does his challenges usually fail. That's a problem that likely cost us 4 points this past game, that's a problem that needs to be addressed.

theplatypus
11-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Think the Patrioits allow that to happen to them? They probably have someone splice into the system to get the network feed to the coaches, short of that, perhaps they have a plant in a Superbox letting them know when a play is close.

Chicken little just go run around the block a few times.

zulater
11-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Right, we all know the Patriots would just accept the scoreboard feed and leave themselves vulnerable to the whim of a homer scoreboard operater who's been instructed to not show questionable replays that might favor the visitor? Of course that's how it works.

:coffee:

theplatypus
11-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Right, we all know the Patriots would just accept the scoreboard feed and leave themselves vulnerable to the whim of a homer scoreboard operater who's been instructed to not show questionable replays that might favor the visitor? Of course that's how it works.

:coffee:

You have no idea how it works, how the Patriots work or any other team. Any claim otherwise is complete bs and nothing more. The only thing you're interested in is crucifying Tomlin et al by any means possible.

zulater
11-02-2010, 06:44 PM

Tell you what platypus. I'll bet when the Patriots come to Heinz field in a couple weeks they don't miss badly on any challenges.

zulater
11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
You have no idea how it works, how the Patriots work or any other team. Any claim otherwise is complete bs and nothing more. The only thing you're interested in is crucifying Tomlin et al by any means possible.

So Tomlin's poor record regarding challenges is coincidental?

theplatypus
11-02-2010, 06:50 PM
So Tomlin's poor record regarding challenges is coincidental?

His poor record according to who? You? Anyways I get it you know all. You're the best evaluator of talent, offensive play calling, defensive play calling, play challenges, clock management............
I wish you the best of luck in that NFL career of yours.

zulater
11-02-2010, 06:58 PM
His poor record according to who? You? Anyways I get it you know all. You're the best evaluator of talent, offensive play calling, defensive play calling, play challenges, clock management............
I wish you the best of luck in that NFL career of yours.

According to NBC, and Al Micheals and Chris Collingsworth.

And I don't claim to know anything that any other fan doesn't know who employs some common sense. According to the stats Big AL and Chris cited Tomlin sucks when it comes to challenges. In this last game whatever the proccess they have in place is, it failed them twice, and it negativley impacted the scoreboard.

And coaches get paid pretty damn well in case you didn't know.The have a responsability to get it right. And when they don't they deserve to be called on the carpet for it.

SteelCityMom
11-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Geez...talk about going overboard.

If you don't agree with someones opinion of something, you don't have to make yourself look like a jackass doing so.

It was a bad decision not to throw the flag, and a lot of people feel that way.

But yes Zu, there were other contributing factors to it. Platypus mentioned one, that the jumbotron doesn't replay the plays that the home team might not want to be challenged (I'm betting the Steelers might do this sometimes too, I don't know). Another is where Tomlin is getting his information from. Here's a breakdown of what he said in his press conference.

– Challenges were a big topic of discussion. Tomlin said if he sees a play on the field that he feels is worthy of a challenge, he will challenge it. If he gets information from above that tells him to challenge it, he will. If none of that happens, he’ll rely on the players on the field. Regarding the Mendenhall play at the goal line, he said there wasn’t much video evidence to make him challenge it, and none of the players on the field, including Mendenhall, did not feel it was worth challenging because none of them felt he crossed the goal line.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/11/mike-tomlin-press-conference-talking-points-2/

Now fight nice guys...I don't want to see any hair on the floor or teeth marks on anyone later. :chuckle:

zulater
11-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Geez...talk about going overboard.

If you don't agree with someones opinion of something, you don't have to make yourself look like a jackass doing so.

It was a bad decision not to throw the flag, and a lot of people feel that way.

But yes Zu, there were other contributing factors to it. Platypus mentioned one, that the jumbotron doesn't replay the plays that the home team might not want to be challenged (I'm betting the Steelers might do this sometimes too, I don't know). Another is where Tomlin is getting his information from. Here's a breakdown of what he said in his press conference.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/11/mike-tomlin-press-conference-talking-points-2/

Now fight nice guys...I don't want to see any hair on the floor or teeth marks on anyone later. :chuckle:

Excuses are like assholes.

This much I know, the majority of teams work the replay system better than us. Instead of telling us why it isn't working they need to find out why it's working better for other teams and get up to speed with them.

bottom line is we quite likely lost 4 points because we didn't challenge a play we should have. We also challenged a play we shouldn't have, and I'm still not convinced that the two aren't related inasmuch as you don't want to go into the second half out of challenges.

It needs to be fixed. I have little doubt they can't do better if they place some emphasis on it. Perhaps this will be the impetus for just such a move.? I sure hope so.

SteelCityMom
11-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Excuses are like assholes.

This much I know, the majority of teams work the replay system better than us. Instead of telling us why it isn't working they need to find out why it's working better for other teams and get up to speed with them.

bottom line is we quite likely lost 4 points because we didn't challenge a play we should have. It needs to be fixed.

Oh I agree. That was a fcuked up series of plays for sure, and knowing that he should have challenged makes it worse.

I tried looking up Tomlins percentage on challenges, and for the life of me, I can't find an exact number.

I do know that he went 2 for 7 in '07 (which is, of course, horrible). Then went 5 for 5 (sometime in the regular season...I think the Chargers game) in '08...but can't find any other numbers beyond that.

It's too bad that the players didn't push for a challenge though. You've got to wonder why that is? I think he would have done it if a bunch of them said they were sure. Who knows.

zulater
11-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Oh I agree. That was a fcuked up series of plays for sure, and knowing that he should have challenged makes it worse.

I tried looking up Tomlins percentage on challenges, and for the life of me, I can't find an exact number.

I do know that he went 2 for 7 in '07 (which is, of course, horrible). Then went 5 for 5 (sometime in the regular season...I think the Chargers game) in '08...but can't find any other numbers beyond that.

It's too bad that the players didn't push for a challenge though. You've got to wonder why that is? I think he would have done it if a bunch of them said they were sure. Who knows.

I just want them to clean up the proccess so it doesn't happen again. Honestly I love Tomlin, I'm glad he's our coach, but somehow, someway the Steelers need to figure out what other teams are doing better than us when it comes to issuing challenges. :drink:

zulater
11-02-2010, 07:32 PM

Actually now I do know. Later in the chat that SCM previously cited Bouchette suggested the coaches bring a portable TV with rabbit ears. He said some reporter in the press box do that very thing.

Think the Patriots might have figured this one out? We're probably the only team that hasn't got this one figured.

Sorry I'm done now, just had to get it off my chest.

:drink:

steelerchad
11-02-2010, 09:09 PM
I think Bouchette was making a joke. All teams in the booths have access to the same replay angles. Bouchette does that quite often when giving his smartass answers to fans questions.
edit: I just found out this was apparently true. Doesn't make sense to me that we wouldn't be aware of only having the scoreboard feed.

I have to agree with Zu on this. We left 4 points on the field in a close game. I think Tomlin losing that first challenge made him gun shy to challenge the TD. It would have left us with no challenges through the rest of the game and Tomlin probably was banking on us slamming it in the endzone on the next play anyway. As it was, we didn't get it in the endzone and we never needed that last challenge.

ZoneBlitzer
11-03-2010, 12:47 AM
The Steelers have been awful with reviews since Tomlin became coach. They challenge when they shouldn't, and often don't when they should. They need to "review" the whole proccess of how they go about things, because they aren't getting it close to right.

Yup. It's not up to the "standard". There are days when I miss Cowher.

zulater
11-03-2010, 05:44 AM
Since the game, I found out it was a potentially challengeable play," Tomlin said Tuesday. "We didn't deem it to be one in the instance in which it occurred. There wasn't a bunch of video evidence available to us, and the guys on the field didn't seem to think it was a challengeable play, so we didn't."

The reason they had no video evidence is because there was no replay of Mendenhall's run on the coaches' box monitor. Under normal conditions, the coaches in the box would recommend to Tomlin whether to challenge or not after they saw the replay on network television.

Problem was, Sunday night in New Orleans, the Steelers' coaches weren't watching the NBC telecast in their box; the Saints' scoreboard video was shown on their television, as it was in many monitors around the stadium. In one auxiliary press box, a writer noticed this and asked it be changed to NBC and it was done.

There isn't a home scoreboard that will show a replay on a controversial play that officials on the field rule went the home team's way. It happened once in Heinz Field, Bill Cowher blew his top, and it never happened again.

So, if there was no replay of Mendenhall's run on the scoreboard, then there was no replay in the coaches' box because that is the feed they were watching. They could not advise Tomlin about it, and the head coach did not have a good enough view of it, so he passed on a challenge that everyone at home and in the Superdome press box could see was in question.

Tomlin said "it's possible" his coaches did not have the network feed on in the box and thus did not get a replay of the Mendenhall run. Sources confirmed they had the scoreboard feed on their TV.Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10307/1100158-66.stm#ixzz14DLs4ZwS

So let me get this straight, all it would have taken to get the network feed is someone among our coaches in that box to have the wherewithal to ask? :banging:

Even if they would have been denied, they've got to figure out something, even if it means putting a coach in a seperate box and or even a freaking hotel room for that matter and have him text someone when or when not to challenge if you're not getting a reliable feed to start with.

zulater
11-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Don't blame the Saints for any chicanery. All the Steelers' coaches had to do was request a channel change at any time, according to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

"It should be the network feed," Aiello wrote in an e-mail to the Post-Gazette. "If coaches are not getting it, they should have it corrected immediately. The referee only uses the network feed."

A Saints spokesman told the Post-Gazette Tuesday that all private booths, including those of the visiting coaches, are provided with high-def TVs that can be tuned to any channel, including the network broadcast of the game. Some coaches, he said, switch channels to other games around the NFL. The preference is theirs, and, if they needed assistance, all they had to do was ask.

Payton used his coaches upstairs to help him decide to challenge Randle El's touchdown. Payton has been right in four of his five challenges this season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10307/1100158-66.stm#ixzz14DSVyusn

zulater
11-03-2010, 05:59 AM

Well I think it's clear that the Steelers deserve some crucifying on this. Apparently all they needed to do was ask for a channel change to get the network feed according to an NFL spokesman. Are they so naive as to not realize that the scoreboard feed wouldn't give them any replays that might aid them? I mean we quite likely lost 4 points based on orginizational ineptness. Inexcusable. I'm sure it will be corrected now, but it should have never came down to this to begin with.

The fact is ( according to stats cited by NBC on the broadcast of that game) the Steelers are lower echelon in making correct challenges. This obviously didn't seem to concern them ( the Steelers) otherwise we never would have had the critical mass situation that occured twice on this past sunday happen. :doh:

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2010, 06:31 AM
The failure to have the monitor in the coaches booth receive the NBC feed is in line being "surprised" that crowd noise might be an issue on Sunday night - as head coach Tomlin projects a good image but is in no danger of being accused of having an obsession with taking care of all the details

For someone in his 4th year as HC it is surprising how often Tomlin still is taken by surprise

zulater
11-03-2010, 09:49 AM
The failure to have the monitor in the coaches booth receive the NBC feed is in line being "surprised" that crowd noise might be an issue on Sunday night - as head coach Tomlin projects a good image but is in no danger of being accused of having an obsession with taking care of all the details

For someone in his 4th year as HC it is surprising how often Tomlin still is taken by surprise

On the crowd noise factor, I think Bouchette as much as said it without really saying it that Dome teams tend to cheat by amping the "crowd noise" above it's actual level. Anyone who thinks Sean Peyton is above that sort of thing doesn't know his coaching roots. It's a shame that the league lets these teams get away with this bullshit.

Speaking of which anyone remember that Saint, vicodan allegation made by a former decorated FBI agent?Probably not, and you can thank Goodell for that if you're a Saint's fan. :banging:

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
On the crowd noise factor, I think Bouchette as much as said it without really saying it that Dome teams tend to cheat by amping the "crowd noise" above it's actual level. Anyone who thinks Sean Peyton is above that sort of thing doesn't know his coaching roots. It's a shame that the league lets these teams get away with this bullshit.

Speaking of which anyone remember that Saint, vicodan allegation made by a former decorated FBI agent?Probably not, and you can thank Goodell for that if you're a Saint's fan. :banging:

Indy piped in crowd noise in the RCA Dome during the 2005 season - Steelers handled it in the playoff win that season by going to a silent count because they knew it ws coming and had a planned response

Since it is not unexpected that this sort of nonsense occurs a team with savvy coaches practices how to deal with it - that exludes what we saw Sunday night

As for the vicodin abuse, Goodell wants no part of anyone looking into what is in the NFL's medicine cabinets and neither does any team in the NFL - e.g. - I cynically fail to believe Aaron Smith's recurring muscle tears in his arms can only possibly be attributed to bad luck and dedicated workouts with free weights

zulater
11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Indy piped in crowd noise in the RCA Dome during the 2005 season - Steelers handled it in the playoff win that season by going to a silent count because they knew it ws coming and had a planned response

Since it is not unexpected that this sort of nonsense occurs a team with savvy coaches practices how to deal with it - that exludes what we saw Sunday night

As for the vicodin abuse, Goodell wants no part of anyone looking into what is in the NFL's medicine cabinets and neither does any team in the NFL - e.g. - I cynically fail to believe Aaron Smith's recurring muscle tears in his arms can only possibly be attributed to bad luck and dedicated workouts with free weights

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not excusing the Steelers for not overcoming the crowd noise. I was just going off on a momentary seperate tangent for the league allowing that kind of bush league tactic to fly.

As for Aaron, if he's into HGH ( as you seem to be implying) then he's done it without leaving a paper trail behind him, to date anyway. I think what we're finding out is those that escape dectection through drugs tests will eventually be exposed when tghe dealer goes down, and most of them eventually do. Anyway until such time as Smith is implicated or tied in some way to HGH I'm not about to make that leap.

plenewken
11-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Am I the only one who saw the ball popping out of Mendenhall's hands when he hit the ground? The ball crossing the line is one thing, but maintaining possession is another and I don't think Mendenhall had full possession of the ball.
It would have been tough to overturn the decision on the field IMO.
Anyway, remember that we were lucky in Miami when the zebras gave us the ball back after Ben's fumble on the goal line.

Can't we just put points on the board that are not questionable?

ZoneBlitzer
11-03-2010, 11:23 AM

That is spot on. There really is no excuse at all at that level. As a leader you got to delegate that responsibility. I used to work as a producer and in such a capacity you need to manage current and potential risk. To help you do so you need to put proactive people in place who can forecast any possible problem that may arise. The absolute most basic need for the staff responsible is having the NBC feed sorted out at least 3 hours before kick off. If they can't figure that out by now, then quite frankly, I don't know what to say.

steelerchad
11-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Am I the only one who saw the ball popping out of Mendenhall's hands when he hit the ground? The ball crossing the line is one thing, but maintaining possession is another and I don't think Mendenhall had full possession of the ball.
It would have been tough to overturn the decision on the field IMO.
Anyway, remember that we were lucky in Miami when the zebras gave us the ball back after Ben's fumble on the goal line.

Can't we just put points on the board that are not questionable?

The play is over the instant the tip of the ball crosses the tip of the line. Popping out when his hands hit the ground is meaningless. It would have been a TD at that point. Possession and control only matters on a reception. Ben's fumble in Miami clearly started coming out before he crossed the line.

Whodis
11-03-2010, 02:45 PM

i don't think it's as much crucifying as it is the fact week after week we watch games blown or nearly blown by dumb decisions. So we won't look back at the Tenn game with the prevent or the Baltimore. We had a game sunday night where we challenged an obvious catch by the Saints (in their defense we don't know what replay the staff saw), a failure to run a sneak up the middle goal and inches, failure to challenge a touchdown and lastly, acknowledge they were UNPREPAIRED for crowd noise.

If the coach makes changes I'll stop pointing these things out.

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2010, 07:16 PM

We do not know but Tomlin does - in his chat Ed.B. gave this statement from Tomlin:

The coaches need to have the best replays!

Ed Bouchette: Yes, but they do not. MT said they have them when they go to places they are familiar with, probably because if they did not the Steelers could retaliate by cutting the video when they come to Heinz

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/106096-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-11210

So the Steelers make the network video feed available to visitors at Heinz and access the video feed if they are repeat visitors to a stadium and are "familiar" with how to get get the network feed on the monitors

But if they are visiting a stadium for the first time they apparently do not have a clue how to get the network feed in the coaches booth and do not have the inclination to find out how to get it - that is an astonishing admission from Tomlin

If I am on the road and am not "familiar" with how to change the channel to get the Steelers game on the TV in my hotel room I damn sure call the front desk to get that problem resolved - too bad figuring out how to get the NBC feed in the coaches booth Sunday night was too much trouble for the coaching staff to figure out

zulater
11-03-2010, 09:53 PM
There isn't a home scoreboard that will show a replay on a controversial play that officials on the field rule went the home team's way. It happened once in Heinz Field, Bill Cowher blew his top, and it never happened again.

So, if there was no replay of Mendenhall's run on the scoreboard, then there was no replay in the coaches' box because that is the feed they were watching. They could not advise Tomlin about it, and the head coach did not have a good enough view of it, so he passed on a challenge that everyone at home and in the Superdome press box could see was in question.

Tomlin said "it's possible" his coaches did not have the network feed on in the box and thus did not get a replay of the Mendenhall run. Sources confirmed they had the scoreboard feed on their TV.

"When you are on the road in different environments and different setups and different sources of information, it takes a period of time to get adjusted to that," Tomlin said.

"Of course, our familiar places that we travel to such as division games you are more familiar with the setup and how to combat it. But it is just a natural process that everyone in the league goes through and issues that everyone has."

Don't blame the Saints for any chicanery. All the Steelers' coaches had to do was request a channel change at any time, according to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

"It should be the network feed," Aiello wrote in an e-mail to the Post-Gazette. "If coaches are not getting it, they should have it corrected immediately. The referee only uses the network feed."

A Saints spokesman told the Post-Gazette Tuesday that all private booths, including those of the visiting coaches, are provided with high-def TVs that can be tuned to any channel, including the network broadcast of the game. Some coaches, he said, switch channels to other games around the NFL. The preference is theirs, and, if they needed assistance, all they had to do was ask.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10307/1100158-66.stm#ixzz14HJyM66y

All they had to do was ask Dan. :doh:

Atlanta Dan
11-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Ed. B. from the P-G revisists the issue this morning one more time :chuckle:

YOU: Ed, I am shocked when I read in your chat that the Steelers coaches were watching replays of the scoreboard views and not the game feeds. It seems that just begs for the visiting team to be screwed. It's 2010, not 1970. How is this possible and why would the coaches not have demanded something with a feed from the game?

ME: I’ll bet it’s never happened to Bill Belichick.

zulater
11-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Ed. B. from the P-G revisists the issue this morning one more time :chuckle:

YOU: Ed, I am shocked when I read in your chat that the Steelers coaches were watching replays of the scoreboard views and not the game feeds. It seems that just begs for the visiting team to be screwed. It's 2010, not 1970. How is this possible and why would the coaches not have demanded something with a feed from the game?

ME: Iíll bet itís never happened to Bill Belichick.

I'll bet you're right. :chuckle:

cloppbeast
11-04-2010, 09:31 AM
It is absolutely ridiculous that coaches must become involved in the officiating of a game. This should not be the case. It's up to the officials to get the calls right, and in my opinion, all replays should go through them.

This whole added homefield field advantage of not showing replays for away coaches just ruins the integrity of the game. I'm all for advantages for the home team, but it should not include advantages in officiating.

I'm waiting for the day when a coach successfully challanges 3 times, and is thus prevented from challanging again, and ends up losing the game on a bad call. Maybe once this happens, the NFL will realize how stupid its replay system is.