PDA

View Full Version : Saints Blueprint?

ZoneBlitzer
11-03-2010, 12:40 AM
NFL network's Playbook, had a great breakdown on what the Saints did to the Steelers offense. It was quite revealing and concerning.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81bd17fa/Playbook-Saints-D-vs-Steelers-O

What worries is me is that the base offense is very vulnerable in certain situations. Last year for long stretches it appeared that the only way the Steelers could move the ball was to play more up tempo and run the hurry up. If this current trend doesn't right itself I can see the team heading in that same direction.

What the Saints did on defense was brilliant. And I'm afraid we may see it again. The question becomes is how to counter it. I'm hoping Arians can dial up some adjustments.

Fire Arians
11-03-2010, 01:36 AM
NFL network's Playbook, had a great breakdown on what the Saints did to the Steelers offense. It was quite revealing and concerning.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81bd17fa/Playbook-Saints-D-vs-Steelers-O

What worries is me is that the base offense is very vulnerable in certain situations. Last year for long stretches it appeared that the only way the Steelers could move the ball was to play more up tempo and run the hurry up. If this current trend doesn't right itself I can see the team heading in that same direction.

What the Saints did on defense was brilliant. And I'm afraid we may see it again. The question becomes is how to counter it. I'm hoping Arians can dial up some adjustments.

i hope so too, but let's be realistic here..

Steel_Bus_24
11-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Bruce "Lets play to our Weaknesses" Arians

won't be of much help to us....as always we better hope we can start running the ball again productively or that Ben can shrug off 4 defenders and make a play out of nothing

SteelCityMom
11-03-2010, 08:10 AM
This was a huge problem in '08 too, after the Eagles game. And while the O-line was very far from perfect, they adjusted and never had another game like that.

I'm wary, but hopeful, that they'll figure something out.

Steelerindc
11-03-2010, 09:49 AM
I think what playbook showed was more of an indictment of our offense and bullshit play calling, than what the Saints did on Defense.

If you look at each clip, we had people open. The routes are too long even when they are expecting a blitz.

ZoneBlitzer
11-03-2010, 11:15 AM
I think what playbook showed was more of an indictment of our offense and bullshit play calling, than what the Saints did on Defense.

If you look at each clip, we had people open. The routes are too long even when they are expecting a blitz.

I thought they did a great job covering the hot routes. That's what got Ben into trouble.

Steelerindc
11-03-2010, 12:05 PM
I didn't see anyone break off they're routes, yes they were covered but in the face of a apparent blitz all of the receivers ran there normal route. If the break short there were opportunities there.

SH-Rock
11-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Let's all send Arians a message of different play he should call this week

LVSteelersfan
11-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Arians will never change. He is so bullheaded he wants to force his team to play the way he wants them to no matter who they are playing. He has no concept of game planning for a certain team. Anyone with a brain had to know that they were going to attack that way or Ben would have picked their secondary apart. So they had no choice but to send the house on every play.

OX1947
11-03-2010, 08:38 PM
If Heath doesnt fumble, we arent talking about this.

California-Steel
11-04-2010, 02:02 AM
That crap D is so easy to beat, but like you say, Arians can't ADJUST. We run some of those same D's and we get lit up because of it. Why? Simple.

The middle of the field if wide open. No LB's inside at all. What do others do to us. Hit the back in the middle. Or slant the TE, not release outside but inside. A 3 yard dump to a middle screen would net 10-15 yards easy.

The Pats and the Colts use the TE crossing routes to beat this D all day long. What do we do? Run 15 yards or more type routes where the receiver is not looking for the ball. Look at all those plays again and tell me that the 5 yard middle of the field is not open for a back or TE to exploit?

Arians is GARBAGE at planning. He just calls plays to call them. They don't set up anything. They don't take advantage of anything. It like he just picks random plays and every now and then he will string two play back to back that one sets up the other by accident. He is a joke at best. The Steelers have so much talent and they are wasting it.

1st down, run a dive play for 2 yards.
2nd down, look for a 15 yards or more down the field play.
3rd down, run a dive play or go for broke down the field.

How many counters have we run? How many designed cutbacks have we run? How many counter toss plays have we run? How many middle screens have we run?

Teams load the box and we run right at it every time. Or we run some god awful reverse with no setup into a blitzing corner for a loss.

My son could coach a better game. Even our wins are awful. Cleavland at least put some thought into a plan and attacked weaknesses. How sad is it when Cleavland can game plan and win with a rookie QB and beat this team that made the Steelers look like a bad college team?
:banging: Arians will make that square peg fit into that round hole. Not!!!

ZoneBlitzer
11-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I get bored watching Arians call the game. The exciting part is watching Ben bail him out. I just know that it is inevitable that he has to be fired he is just that bad. He's just got no feel for the game. He's also incredibly stubborn as he continues to use the same strategies over and over again even in the face of complete futility.

stiller39
11-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Adjustments should have been made at halftime.... hello.