PDA

View Full Version : Why no sneak?

steelerchad
11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
On the 1st and goal from the 2 inch line.
That seems to be the consensus among the few friends I've talked with after the game. I was calling for the sneak, multiple times if need be. Why get cute and hand the ball off against an 8 man front and risk losing yardage, which is what happened. Your best offensive lineman is argueably Pouncey and you have a 240lb + QB. I watched the replay of the first down play and Pouncey got a push on his man, but with more men coming through than could be blocked the slow developing handoff was stopped for a loss.
Ben goes in right behind Pouncey and if he gets slowed down then Redman needs to shove his butt into the endzone from behind. Yea, it's illegal. But I've seen it flagged exactly zero times in the NFL and it happens a lot.

I realize that since many were thinking sneak there, the Saints were probably thinking it also. But you only need Pouncey to get less than a 1 foot push on his man and it's a TD. Sometimes you just have to line up and beat the man in front of you. They may have thought it was coming, but they still have to stop it.

StainlessStill
11-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I wish I had video of it because I called that entire sequence on the goal line. We've seen it from Arians time and time again in those situations. The QB sneak is one of the most deadliest plays to stop on the inch line (wherever it may be.)

I said if we didn't QB sneak it right here, then we will be stuffed on all three plays. Sure enough, first play is a fullback trap to the left side, which the pull didn't work and their lineman came free, lost of yardage. Both other plays we lost big on big, stuffed.

No excuse to not use your 6'5, 245-250 pound QB to punch it in within a half an inch behind your big men. No excuse. They screwed themselves there.:banging:

lionslicer
11-03-2010, 10:26 AM
When's the last time Arians called a QB sneak... like seriously when? Ben is 6'5 and probably one of the stronger quarterbacks in the league... And the Center and the left guard are by far the strongest assets on that line, Ben behind them would be almost a guaranteed 1-2 yards.

ZoneBlitzer
11-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Why no sneak? Because that would make sense that's why. If I'm Pittsburgh the very millisecond that the call gets overturned I line up and do a quick snap and plow ahead. Instead, they give the defense and the crowd a chance to get all jacked up and destroy our line. I just don't get it. Ben is 6'5" and 265lbs. There's no reason when it comes down to just inches to not doing a sneak. I think they were trying to play 'we got something to prove' football. They wanted to prove that they could run short yardage. They were proved wrong. They are wholly incapable.

grward
11-03-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't plan on jumping on the Arians hate-wagon, but every fan in Steelers Nation had to be thinking the exact same thing. It's just amazing to me that it wasn't as obvious to the man getting paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to gain 2 inches! Seriously! Com'on Man! I think this was one of two huge turning points in the game. The Miller fumble, albeit not Miller's fault, was the other.

steelerchad
11-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't plan on jumping on the Arians hate-wagon, but every fan in Steelers Nation had to be thinking the exact same thing. It's just amazing to me that it wasn't as obvious to the man getting paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to gain 2 inches! Seriously! Com'on Man! I think this was one of two huge turning points in the game. The Miller fumble, albeit not Miller's fault, was the other.

I wouldn't say not Miller's fault. It certainly was his fault for not securing that ball before the hit. I think most will give Miller a pass on this as would I because he normally has excellent hands and ball security. Couple that with the spin move and quick hit on the ball thereafter and it could have happened to anyone. But if he secures that ball, I think we win that game.

stb_steeler
11-03-2010, 02:00 PM
ONE WORD.......ARIANS !!! :bash:

Whodis
11-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I think it was the "Crowd Noise". Arians can not think clearly in that enviroment!

Lady Steel
11-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Why no sneak? Because Arians is an asshole. Probably the last time a QB sneak was called was by Ben himself when running the no huddle.

Fire Arians
11-03-2010, 04:48 PM
because it's easy. arians wanted to try and fool the world by attempting a slow-developing misdirection play instead of you know, plunging forward with a sneak or quick hitter which is almost guaranteed to gain the less than a foot distance needed

seriously a counter play when the defense has 11 on the line of scrimmage? fire arians. oh yeah doesn't help that esSUCKS totally didn't know it was the wrong play. It's the offensive coordinator's job to ensure everyone knows their shit, so that blame also goes to arians. partial blame goes to tomlin for not firing this piece of shit in the offseason

btaylor
11-03-2010, 05:14 PM
prolly doesn't trust ben will hold on to the ball

LVSteelersfan
11-03-2010, 07:05 PM
You can ask my wife. I was absolutely screaming at the tv screen for them to do the QB sneak, not once but twice. I was so mad I could have thrown something through the television. Not only that, it cost me on my Fantasy Football because Ben was my QB. But that is neither here nor there.