PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Harrison fined ... again - $20K this time

Atlanta Dan
11-04-2010, 12:30 PM
WTF? -

The NFL whacked linebacker James Harrison hard in the pocket again this week, fining him $20,000 for a late hit Sunday on New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees.

Harrison has now been fined $100,000 for three hits this season.

"The hit on Drew Brees was not to the head and he didn't bury him or anything," said agent Bill Parise, surprised at how much his client was fined. "I don't think they know what they're doing and everyone's paying the price for it."...

It was not an egregious affair here. I think they're really missing the mark," Parise said. "I respect the fact they're trying to minimize injuries, but they're going about it the wrong way."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10308/1100762-66.stm

I guess the meeting with Goodell could have gone better - with this latest fine I really believe Anderson and Goodell are trying to push the flag football/Indy Colts speed but non-physical brand of "football" on the league - this latest hit presumbaly is going to change Harrison's game

I don't think there's any confusion. I just think the problem is that they're wrong - Troy Polamalu

Lady Steel
11-04-2010, 12:38 PM
This is such BS. I'm so angry over this. :mad:

Fire Arians
11-04-2010, 02:17 PM
late hits are always gonna draw a fine. nothing new here

Atlanta Dan
11-04-2010, 02:20 PM
late hits are always gonna draw a fine. nothing new here

The $20K was what drew my attention - not the fact a fine that everyone knew was coming was imposed

Summoning Harrison to the principal's office yesterday before announcing the fine today was one more stream flowing into this river of PR bulls**t from Park Avenue

But Harrison is an easy target for Goodell based on Harrison's demeanor - let's see Goodell take on Polamalu, who has a great public image (virtually the only non-QB who has national endorsements) and seems to be spoiling for a fight with the league office

Steelers>NFL
11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Sucks, but it is what it is. Not saying Harrison should change his tune completely.
But quit hitting with helmet first. Hit with shoulder, and wrap your arms to make tackles.
Just like they did back in the day when football was "real".

lionslicer
11-04-2010, 03:18 PM
I can understand the penalty for the late hit, but Brees is really short for a quarterback. He's only about 6 foot, at that he could be a tad shorter. Harrison is 5'11-6ft also, and just running into brees, their helmets will colide if they are both standing up right.
Harrison can't go low, he knew he was late which is why he only bumped into Brees, what do they expect from him?
Like that's rediculous... especially since as a player its hard to go from full speed to stopping on a dime, plus many players are taught to always run through a play because stopping immidiately is bad for your knees.

truesteelerfan
11-04-2010, 04:20 PM
What would happen if he refused to pay? He has the support of his coach and ownership...I don't think the refs are going to physically disallow him to play the next contest...Goodell is going to ruin the greatest game ever played....This sucks!!!

TRH
11-04-2010, 04:27 PM
i'm as FURIOUS as i've ever been in my life right now.
This is ridiculous. They are ruining the game right before our eyes, we are watching it happen right in front of us.
It's getting to the point, you can't even hit anyone anymore. Hey Goodell....there's a thing called "momentum". Ever hear of it??
How are these players supposed to stop in time if someone decides to throw the ball quickly????

Well, it's official. Here we are. Flag football.

I hope there is some public outcry over this from players unions, ownerships, and coaches. This is truly unbelievable.

SH-Rock
11-04-2010, 04:36 PM
I think they expect him to jump over him or like fall down so he doesn't hit him...

TRH
11-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Fining a Pittsburgh player isn't going to change anything. This assault on Steeler-style football will continue.

The ONLY way this will get looked at seriously as being detrimental to the game is if they go through every play....every week.....from every team....and consistently and FAIRLY fine/suspend every player. Every one.
You wanna see how that goes over with the entire nation? It won't. Trust me. There will be a huge backlash against the Goodell office.

It's not right to continually pick on the Steelers. You have to be fair and objective (and they're not....we could go through the tapes of all the games just from last week and "fine" a lot of different players. If they were Steelers. they would have been).
If you're going to fine/suspend....you have to do it to EVERYONE. I hope Rooney takes this up with the league immediately.
BTW.....where's the fine for the N.O. player that helmet-to-helmeted Hines Ward last week??????

StainlessStill
11-04-2010, 05:02 PM
WTF? -

The NFL whacked linebacker James Harrison hard in the pocket again this week, fining him $20,000 for a late hit Sunday on New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees.

Harrison has now been fined $100,000 for three hits this season.

"The hit on Drew Brees was not to the head and he didn't bury him or anything," said agent Bill Parise, surprised at how much his client was fined. "I don't think they know what they're doing and everyone's paying the price for it."...

It was not an egregious affair here. I think they're really missing the mark," Parise said. "I respect the fact they're trying to minimize injuries, but they're going about it the wrong way."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10308/1100762-66.stm

I guess the meeting with Goodell could have gone better - with this latest fine I really believe Anderson and Goodell are trying to push the flag football/Indy Colts speed but non-physical brand of "football" on the league - this latest hit presumbaly is going to change Harrison's game

I don't think there's any confusion. I just think the problem is that they're wrong - Troy Polamalu

RIDICULOUS!!!!!!:banging::banging::banging::

Atlanta Dan
11-04-2010, 05:51 PM
What would happen if he refused to pay?

Harriosn pays the fine the same way most of pay the IRS - it is taken out of his check as a deduction before he gets paid

ZoneBlitzer
11-04-2010, 10:49 PM
I guess their now saying no more following through on the tackle. Looking at it carefully, it appears that JH just finished his check (if you'll pardon the hockey term). Was it worth 20k? No, but he got it because he is now a marked man. This is where I'd like to see the Steelers ownership family step in, the Rooneys. There's a lot of these type of hits that go on in the league. The Rooneys need to go to the league and stand behind their player. Right now, this is a judgement based on a particular bias towards an organization and a player. The first shot over the bow was the Hines Ward rule and now this. Let it be known. The Steelers are in the cross-hairs of the NFL and its dictator, Goodell.

MikeHaullace
11-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Dear Roger Goodell,

$*#& YOU.

- Me.

Rotorhead
11-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Just like James, I dont know what else to say . . .
How can the players union and owners allow that jackass to have so much power . . . how did he get to be incharge with his obvious incompetence and complete lack of knowledge of the the game?

tunes4life
11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
What happens to that money exactly? Where does the $100,000 in fines actually go?

truesteelerfan
11-05-2010, 05:53 PM
The Players union needs to do somthing about this...Sure they get paid lots of money as players, but the league is taking it back...Isn't this kind of like working for a Holiday Inn in say Orlando, doing your job...but then big Holiday Inn corporate says you did something wrong...so I'm going to take a deduction out of your check...Is that fair...It is probably something agreed to in the union agreement, but as long as that is being negotiated to have football next year, somethings gotta be done about the frequency of fines/suspensions if they want this game to last.

Atlanta Dan
11-05-2010, 06:15 PM
What happens to that money exactly? Where does the $100,000 in fines actually go?

Goes to charity

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=862429#post862429
http://www.examiner.org/index.php?op...rts&Itemid=220

And the NFL, not the player, apparently gets the charitable contribution deduction

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/289744-chad-ochocino-fine-proves-nfl-double-standard-on-charity

But the fines arguably are tax deductible as "business expenses" so since Harrison is well north of $373,650 in income earned Uncle Sam loses $35K of the accumulated fines in reduced taxes owed by Harrison- only in America

http://www.fivecentnickel.com/2010/10/22/are-nfl-fines-tax-deductible/

Steeler4life1972
11-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Just a note to everyone...if something is not done about this whereas somebody very important steps up then this will be the death of the nfl trust me on this. Lot of shit going on behind the scenes as we speak against players. I just hope and pray that this will not affect our team but unfortunately I already see it is having a significant impact on us especially our defense. I hate to be a pessimist but because Goodell has a hard on against the steelers this is gonna get much worse...just my opinion and I hope Im wrong!!

markymarc
11-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I'd like to know where DeMaurice Smith and the NFLPA has been since Roger Goodell and Ray Anderson has spoken out about players safety a few weeks ago.

jjpro11
11-06-2010, 04:32 PM
i like how Bernard Pollard ends two guys' seasons with questionable plays and nobody says anything, yet James Harrison is the one getting crucified in the media as a cheap shot artist. gotta love the double standard by the NFL and media. not hard to see the bias there.

harts
11-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Harrison is watched by the media now on anything he does.
which means Goodell has to watch him because he can bring unwanted attention to the NFL

Goodell's biggest problem has been his spineless stance towards the media.
He has been reactionary instead of someone who stands up to them

If he had simply said we will deal with this situation instead of kowtowing to the media it wouldn't be as serious as it is today

who eve heard of the NFL instituting rules changes mid season?

i wish the commish had some backbone towards the media

but more importantly like Troy said and I have been saying the Commish has too much power and the NFLPA was stupid to allow Goodell final say on things

mikegrimey
11-06-2010, 07:21 PM
i like how Bernard Pollard ends two guys' seasons with questionable plays and nobody says anything, yet James Harrison is the one getting crucified in the media as a cheap shot artist. gotta love the double standard by the NFL and media. not hard to see the bias there.

The reason the media and NFL are jumping all over Harrison is because of his unapologetic attitude after the Brown's hit.

If this kind of irrational sporadic penalizing and intense scrutinizing holds up I wouldn't be suprised to see Harrison suspended this season or retired next season. It'd be unfortunate because he's just a plain mean linebacker that I love seeing on the team. I'm confident we can replace him, we always seem to replace our OLB's, but he's be missed for sure.

California-Steel
11-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Sucks, but it is what it is. Not saying Harrison should change his tune completely.
But quit hitting with helmet first. Hit with shoulder, and wrap your arms to make tackles.
Just like they did back in the day when football was "real".How will doing what you state stop helmet to helmet hits?

You can line up your shoulder perfectly for the hit and still have the ball carrier drop his head only to hit helmet to helmet while still wrapping up. You head is connected to your shoulders and will always be in front of your shoulders as your body angle will create that. No one tackles straight up and down.

The powers that be just are full of it. This rule is a stupid one and if kept will force the game to become two hand touch. Ball carriers will be running over D players soon as D players will not be able to have any leverage to complete a tackle.

stb_steeler
11-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Goodell :sign06: