PDA

View Full Version : this is one smart dog..

melroseplace
03-22-2006, 08:33 PM
found this story on KDKA.com, thought it was pretty cool and wanted to share it with you guys

http://kdka.com/seenon/local_story_081195526.html

(KDKA) Doctors have many ways to diagnose breast cancer.

But, one woman says it was her dog and not doctors who saved her life.

Tobi Krueger and her dog Dillon have a special kind of bond that goes way beyond loyalty and friendship.

The odyssey started four years ago with Tobi's annual mammogram.

It showed a benign cyst but her doctor said it was nothing.

That's when Dillon started doing something strange.

?He would just bang into my left side and slam into me,? recalled Krueger.

Feeling unsettled by her dog's behavior, she found a new doctor and insisted on a biopsy.

?She needed that biopsy done to have peace of mind and in the end she ended up finding out that her inner voice was telling her something correctly,? said Dr. Beth DuPree, a breast surgeon.

DuPree says the dog was on to something? Tobi had breast cancer.

She says there's no concrete science on why, but maybe some dogs do have a certain sense ..

?I can't say her dog is a better diagnostician than we are medically but there's something between the connection between those two that's unexplainable by any other means,? add DuPree.

Dillon is an 8-year old Australian Shepherd with no special training, only a devotion to Tobi.

She ended up having a mastectomy and Dillon immediately stopped slamming into her chest.

Tobi's learned to ignore the skeptics.

?Even my oldest son thinks I'm crazy. ?Oh it didn't happen? ya know, but it did. If he didn't do what he did I would have listened to the surgeon and not had anything done,? said Krueger.

Some experts say it's probably a sense of smell that gives some dogs the ability to detect human ailments but researchers don't know exactly why or how it happens.

Others believe it's a special bond between animal and human that science can't explain.

MattsMe
03-22-2006, 11:56 PM
I remember reading an article about a year ago about researchers testing dogs' ability to spot cancer by having them sniff patients' urine. The dogs were more accurate than anyone expected.

Guess this means we shouldn't punish our dogs for sniffing between a stranger's legs. Instead, we should send the person a medical bill.

SteelerzGirl
03-24-2006, 06:51 PM
I believe a pet and its owner can have a special connection. Dillon is a hero! Good doggie. :smile: