PDA

View Full Version : Jets interested in I.Taylor?.....

DIESELMAN
03-22-2006, 09:30 PM
The New York Jets have been a thorn in the side of the Pittsburgh Steelers thus far in the offseason, first signing former Steelers defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen and then outbidding them for the services of wide receiver Tim Dwight.

Now, the Jets may have cornerback Ike Taylor on their radar.

With their trade of digruntled defensive end John Abraham to Atlanta Tuesday, the Jets now own two first round picks in next month's draft, their own pick (fourth overall) and the 29th thanks to the Abraham trade.

Negotiations between the Steelers and restricted free agent cornerback Ike Taylor have been sparse, leading the team to re-sign cornerback Deshea Townsend to a four-year contract earlier this week.

The 25-year-old Taylor has received some interest on the open market, according to agent Scott Smith, but the Steelers? decision to make a high tender offer to the third-year cornerback has kept some teams from trying to pry him away from Pittsburgh.

?It certainly makes things more difficult,? said Smith of the Steelers? one-year $1.55-million tender offer to Taylor. ?But for the right situation, the right fit, something could be done.?

By offering Taylor a high tender, Steelers guaranteed themselves the right to match any offer he might receive in free agency or receive a first-round draft pick from the team that signs Taylor in return as compensation.

That would prohibit a team that does not have a first-round pick from making an offer to Taylor. That means Washington ? which dealt its No. 1 pick to Denver for a first-round pick last year ? and Atlanta ? which shipped its No. 1 pick to Denver as part of a deal that landed Abraham ? can?t make an offer to Taylor.

But the Jets and Broncos, who now have two first-round draft picks each, could be tempted to take a run at Taylor, particularly New York, which released starting cornerback Ty Law.

?Ike is certainly an intriguing guy,? said Smith. ?Really, he?s only started two years as a cornerback, one year in the NFL and one year in college, so he?s got a ton of upside, maybe more than any player in the NFL.?

Courtesy of the Observer-Reporter

Ike tied for the NFL lead with 25 pass defenses last season,84 tackles 69 solo only 1 interception but he could've had more.This year he'll improve on his interceptions can't do nothing but get better. With the resigning of Townsend to provide experience to him we need to keep Ike...

Midnightwriter1
03-22-2006, 10:11 PM
I cant see the jets giving up a # 4 pick for Taylor when there are so a few franchise type players available at that spot and i just dont rate taylor that high. The Broncos could i guess, but they have WR and RB needs before corner so that doesnt make much sense either but would make more sense at #22. I believe that the it is the original draft position the team has to forfeit in this case but is definately something to look into which draft position would be the one a team would have to give up ... if it is a either or, then look out !!!

Steel Pit
03-23-2006, 01:07 AM
Whatever the Ike Taylor outcome proves to be, the Steelers will make a positive out of it.
If nobody is willing to give up a 1st round pick for him then the Steelers will sign him at considerably less than expected. If someone does sign him, then the Steelers will be in possession of 2 first round picks which would open the door to a variety of solutions.
They could package and trade their 1st round picks and move up the draft board quite significantly and grab a stud DB. They could trade one or both 1st round picks for a proven DB. The options are endless and I have total faith in the Steelers organization.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-23-2006, 01:31 AM
?Ike is certainly an intriguing guy,? said Smith. ?Really, he?s only started two years as a cornerback, one year in the NFL and one year in college, so he?s got a ton of upside, maybe more than any player in the NFL.?

More than any player in the NFL...? Wow! I knew Ike was a self-promoter but this is starting to smell. The PR spotlight shown on Troy may be starting to blind Taylor. And why not? Polamalu exemplifies exactly what is good about NFL players.

I just don't believe the Steelers are ready to 'go long' on Ike and perhaps a fishing analogy is approriate right about now. Part of me is beginning to think that we are baiting for a first round pick. His agent is making my point for me. "Really, he's only started two years" - one in college and one in the NFL - yet are they proposing that he should be paid as if he is a player with the most upside in the NFL.

Uhhhh. Pass. This is assuming he is gone after next year anyway. There are several draft prospects that we can get into camp this year who can begin to learn under 'Richard' LeBeau. It's not like we have a depleted secondary.

The idea of getting that extra 1st round draft pick is, well, starting to smell like roses.

clevestinks
03-23-2006, 07:55 AM
It seems the Steelers, from what I read, are more interested in the possible 1 st round pick they would get fopr Taylor. INTERESTING????

Midnightwriter1
03-23-2006, 08:03 AM
I think depends on where that 1st round pick is ... but i guess you could look at it as , if no one takes him then we will have him for a decent price. If someone matches then depends on where the pick is at if worth to match or take pick . Seems liek a smart move on their part.

clevestinks
03-23-2006, 08:08 AM
I think depends on where that 1st round pick is ... but i guess you could look at it as , if no one takes him then we will have him for a decent price. If someone matches then depends on where the pick is at if worth to match or take pick . Seems liek a smart move on their part.
I agree, but with Coc, and McFadden, maybe we really feel as if the first round pick would be best no matter what number it was?????

Tim
03-23-2006, 08:15 AM
I can't see trading a guy we've already developed into a good starter for the 29th pick. This is a guy that can come in and play this year for a team, you're not going to get that with the 29th overall pick.

Suitanim
03-23-2006, 08:16 AM
If the Jets pulled the trigger on this (and I still think Ike isn't going anywhere, anyway) the Steelers would trade away #4. They won't be interested in paying the giant signing bonus attached to a pick that high, at least not this year.

clevestinks
03-23-2006, 08:17 AM
I can't see trading a guy we've already developed into a good starter for the 29th pick. This is a guy that can come in and play this year for a team, you're not going to get that with the 29th overall pick.
Agreed! But what if we dont need Taylor? What if the Steelers believe that McFadden, Townsend and Coc, will get the job done? Just thinking here, we could use that extra pick for a WR, or OL.

Suitanim
03-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Agreed! But what if we dont need Taylor? What if the Steelers believe that McFadden, Townsend and Coc, will get the job done? Just thinking here, we could use that extra pick for a WR, or OL.

It's SO hard to find a shutdown corner in the NFL, I just can't see them thinking like this. Seriously, how many are there? A few names like Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson (in his prime) come to mind, but most teams lack one.

clevestinks
03-23-2006, 08:32 AM
It's SO hard to find a shutdown corner in the NFL, I just can't see them thinking like this. Seriously, how many are there? A few names like Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson (in his prime) come to mind, but most teams lack one.
Suit, your right, BUT and its a big BUTT, what if Coc, and or McFadden is the next shut down corners.

Tim
03-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Yeah, but even if they are you're still selling out depth in the secondary. Now if we were to get the 4th pick, it'd be a no brainer, that'd be too tasty to turn down, even if we did trade it away.

But, and here's another big but, if Ike can figure out how to catch a football, he could be one of our best players back there. He had chances at more interceptions last year than probably everyone on the defense combined and dropped just about all of them.

Suitanim
03-23-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't think they've played enough for the Steelers to know that yet...I mean, these new guys need to be out there on that island, alone, be tested, be burnt a few times (Remember Marvin Harrison catching Ike looking into the backfield in Indy game I?), and the team needs to see how they react and adapt and overcome that kind of adversity...

clevestinks
03-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Tim you are right about the drop ints. Damn if we could have had just a few of those back!

Haiku_Dirtt
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Tim you are right about the drop ints. Damn if we could have had just a few of those back!

Thankfully we didn't need those picks after all. We did get the Lombardi. Next season could be different which I guess is why there is debate.

I doubt Coc will be anything but a no. 2.

McFadden has the skills, speed and desire to become better than Ike. Observations from training camp last season indicated big potential. Bring on the extra draft pick.

Midnightwriter1
03-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Taylors missed opportunities on INT's really has been his downside as far as i am concerned. I understand he hasnt really been playing the position for a long time, obviously he has speed and though he didnt get burned all year, when he did it was horrible. That first play alone agaisnt the Colts set the tone for the whole game in the reg season and it suprised me that more teams didnt pick on him more considering that he couldnt catch the ball even if thrown right at him and his tendency to allow players behind him.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-23-2006, 12:23 PM
I would love to ghe AJ HAWK at number 4.that would be great
I dont see it happening,
If IKE does leave i do believe tahat MCFADDEN will be our number 2 CB
And i have confidence that Coulcough will step up this year.

rowedf
03-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Why are you guys saying a #4 pick?? The Jets have #4 and #29, why would they "give" us their 4th ??

Does anyone have any links to the actual breakdown of how restrcited free agency works? There are plenty of sites that explain it simply, but Id like to see things like...What if the team has 2 first rounders, how is it deteremined...or What is the scale used to determine the compensation, etc.

SalukiSteelers
03-23-2006, 02:17 PM
IMO, Ike is a must-sign. The kid's a blazer w/an incredible upside. Once he figures out how to hang on to the ball he's gonna be deadly to passing games. He can stay w/anybody and let's not forget how huge his SB INT was for the team. Sure, he had a couple of blown plays over the course of the season but if you look at his body of work the guy was an absolute gamer. Townsend's getting old and while McFadden played well when he was in the game, Ike's abilities aren't a mystery. He's solid. I like his game. I really don't want to see him leave but if he does, the higher the pick the better.

Midnightwriter1
03-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I belive , this is not fact, but i belive is the original first rounf pick that has to be given up if an RFA is chosen so therefor that would be the Jets # 4 or the Broncos # 22

Midnightwriter1
03-23-2006, 05:15 PM
sorry for typo's keys dont all work =( ha

BlitzburghRockCity
03-23-2006, 06:00 PM
We have the right of first refusal and we have the right to match any offer he receives. If the jets try and pull the trigger and offer a nice chunk of change..dont be surprised if we dont match it. Ike is a top prospect and we groomed him from never playing CB to being one of the best in the league in his young career. There's no way he goes anywhere without a fight, especially Hope now gone, we dont want any more new faces back there than we have too right now.

Stlrs4Life
03-23-2006, 06:55 PM
If this happens, and we get the #4 pick, I take AJ Hawk.

BigDude66687
03-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Hell i'd give up Ike if that means we'd get D'brisksaw

Midnightwriter1
03-23-2006, 07:29 PM
i doubt would happen anyway, but it would be nice. The Jets would have to be pretty dumb... The broncos at number 22 would be a more likely scenario if anything were to happen because they still have the 15..

SteelersNation7
03-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I tell you I like Ike but I would love the Steelers to get two 1st rnd picks.....Getting a someone like Whitner and Mangold...or Whitner and Carpenter....or Whitner and a strong Wideout.....Maybe a Jackson or Moss and Mangold.....Lot's of possibilities.

OX1947
03-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Keep Ike, we already have depth in our secondary, we need a 1st reciever cover guy. Why the hell would you take a chance on getting another guy to cover WRs. Unless we got 2 picks in the top 15, its just not worth it....

SteelersNation7
03-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Think about it. When have the Jets ever been smart when it comes to drafting????

rowedf
03-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Keep Ike, we already have depth in our secondary, we need a 1st reciever cover guy. Why the hell would you take a chance on getting another guy to cover WRs. Unless we got 2 picks in the top 15, its just not worth it....

I disagree with you, I think anything in the top 20 of the first round is worth it ..... two years starting experience in his ENTIRE CAREER is not something you can break the bank on. Sure, his upside is huge, but so are any of the top 20 first round picks.

PisnNapalm
03-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Think about it. When have the Jets ever been smart when it comes to drafting????

Joe Namath.

BCEDGE
03-25-2006, 05:40 PM
I disagree with you, I think anything in the top 20 of the first round is worth it ..... two years starting experience in his ENTIRE CAREER is not something you can break the bank on. Sure, his upside is huge, but so are any of the top 20 first round picks.

When you lok around and see how many teams are drying to get corners...and we have a guy just getting to his prime...why on earth would you discard him so lightly. You can never have enough good defensive backs.

Suitanim
03-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Wow...

I'm so glad the fans have absolutely no say on what actually happens on the Steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Wow...

I'm so glad the fans have absolutely no say on what actually happens on the Steelers.

:iagree: :iagree:

83-Steelers-43
03-26-2006, 07:11 AM
IMO, we head into next season with no IKE, it's going to be a long year in the secondary. I like McFadden just as much as the next fan, but I'm not comfortable with him starting next year. We are finally getting a young, solid CB and now we are going to throw him away? After years of watching Chad "Toast" Scott and Dwayne Washington getting beat?!?!?!

IKE needs to be signed in my opinion and I think this is one signing the Rooney's will open up the check book in order to keep.

Atlanta Dan
03-26-2006, 01:52 PM
The Jets may need a CB but they also have a crying need for a QB. New Orleans is either going to use its #2 pick on the OT from Virginia or shop the pick, since they certainly do not plan to draft Matt Leinart or the Vandy QB now that they have signed Drew Brees.

I would be surprised if the Jets burn a #1 as compensation for Ike Taylor given the need to placate the NY media and get a replacement at QB for Pennington and Patrick Ramsey by trading up in the draft.