PDA

View Full Version : Sanders vows to put end to his fumbling issues

mesaSteeler
11-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Sanders vows to put end to his fumbling issues

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 5, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_707785.html

Emmanuel Sanders has not been walking around the Steelers' practice facility with a football tucked tightly against his right shoulder as he did at times last week. But the rookie receiver/kick returner vowed Thursday that the fumbling issues he had the past two games are behind him. Sanders lost a fumble on the opening kickoff in an Oct. 24 game at Miami. He fumbled at the end of a 42-yard kick return Sunday at New Orleans. "I'm going to continue to work on my technique in practice," he said. "I'm going to continue to show (the coaches) that they can count on me." Coach Mike Tomlin apparently has not lost trust in Sanders, who is averaging 27.5 yards per kick return and gained 38 on his only punt return. "I'm returning kicks and punts this week," Sanders said.

Barring a setback, defensive end Brett Keisel will be close to full strength Monday night in Cincinnati. Keisel, who has missed the past two games with a hamstring injury, practiced again yesterday. When asked whether he will be limited by the injury Monday, Keisel said, "I shouldn't be."

Inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons and rookie center Maurkice Pouncey received midseason accolades in this week's issue of Sports Illustrated. NFL writer Peter King selected Timmons to his All-Pro team, picking the fourth-year veteran over the Ravens' Ray Lewis. He also named Pouncey the Offensive Rookie of the Year. "I didn't even know that," Pouncey said.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

MikeHaullace
11-05-2010, 01:35 AM
It's simple: Where there's traffic, there's two arms on the ball.

Dude is golden otherwise.

sharkweek
11-05-2010, 07:38 PM
It's simple: Where there's traffic, there's two arms on the ball.

Dude is golden otherwise.

It seems simple, but arms are used for balance when making drastic cuts and jukes and other such maneuvers, a player with both arms securing the ball simply wouldn't be as nimble and elusive, so its a risk reward scenario.

Although most fumbles seem to occur when there's no chance of breaking free to make a bigger play so in that sense the player needs to learn when to call pack it in and live to fight another day.

DanRooney
11-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Second guessing about securing the ball is just going to make him more cautious and hesitant. We should have kept Logan at the expense of Battle.

lionslicer
11-05-2010, 07:52 PM
It seems simple, but arms are used for balance when making drastic cuts and jukes and other such maneuvers, a player with both arms securing the ball simply wouldn't be as nimble and elusive, so its a risk reward scenario.

Although most fumbles seem to occur when there's no chance of breaking free to make a bigger play so in that sense the player needs to learn when to call pack it in and live to fight another day.

Fumbles are usually caused by holding the ball low against your body, you have to pull your arm up and secure the ball against your chest, but this also limits mobility.
It takes time to develop when to secure the ball and when to unsecure it to get mobility.
Barry Sanders had a fumble problem early in his career, but he soon fixed it and it became rare to see him fumble, going rushing for 1800 yards one season and have 0 fumbles.

markymarc
11-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Short term memory Emmanuel.

Fire Arians
11-06-2010, 08:53 PM
sanders will be a star in this league, bank on it ;)

markymarc
11-07-2010, 02:24 PM
sanders will be a star in this league, bank on it ;)

Quoted for truth....