PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in F/A WR...........

Midnightwriter1
03-23-2006, 06:14 PM
STEELERS INTERESTED IN MOULDS

A league source tells us that the Pittsburgh Steelers are interested in acquiring receiver Eric Moulds from the Buffalo Bills "if the price is right."

In this regard, that could have two meanings. First, there's the price to pay the Bills to get him. Then, there's the price that Moulds will want.

Moulds, a ten-year veteran, has twice been asked to take a pay cut for 2006, and has consistently refused. The team recently authorized him to solicit trade offers.

He's scheduled to earn $6.089 million in base salary in 2006, and $7.25 million in 2007.

The Steelers don't typically break the bank for players from other teams, and Moulds might be willing to take less in Pittsburgh than he could get elsewhere, given the strong likelihood that the Steelers will be in the thick of things again in the 2006 postseason.

Suitanim
03-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Source? If it's Profootballtalk, throw it out the window...

clevestinks
03-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Thats huge money! Forget it!

Suitanim
03-23-2006, 06:34 PM
I found this at SI.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/03/21/bills.moulds.ap/

Going shopping
Bills' Moulds granted permission to seek a trade
Posted: Tuesday March 21, 2006 7:40PM; Updated: Wednesday March 22, 2006 1:17AM

Eric Moulds
Eric Moulds, who is scheduled to make $7.1 million next season, rejected the Bills' demands to take a pay cut.
Damian Strohmeyer/SI

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Eric Moulds has the Buffalo Bills' permission to seek a trade, the latest step for the veteran receiver who asked for his release after repeatedly rejecting the team's demands to take a pay cut.

"We are shopping Eric," Moulds' personal adviser, Greg Johnson, told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "Obviously, we would much rather have Eric released. But if we can work out a trade, we will. But if not, we're back to Square 1 and Eric won't play for the Bills. He doesn't want to play for them, and he will not play for them."

Johnson said several teams already have expressed interest in Moulds since the Bills granted their permission on Friday. Without providing details, he added, the team has set parameters on what it would seek in return in a potential trade.

"It's moving forward to a degree and we anticipate something happening," Johnson said.

Moulds, a 10-year veteran and the Bills' senior player, has two years left on his contract, but was scheduled to count about $10.8 million against the salary cap next year. The Bills deem that figure too expensive but have failed in their bid to have the receiver restructure his contract.

Moulds, who is scheduled to make $7.1 million next season, has rejected the Bills' demands, believing there are other teams willing to match the salary.

Speaking earlier in the day, Bills general manager Marv Levy only hinted that the team has granted Moulds' representatives permission to seek a trade by saying: "I think they might examine the field and find that maybe that is the thing to do."

Levy also maintained the team's interest in keeping Moulds, but only if he agrees to a pay cut.

"I still think he has playing ability," Levy said. "But I don't think we can fill all of our other needs with the type of salary cap hit we have to take with him."

Buffalo would save about $5.5 million in salary cap space by releasing Moulds. The Bills have been active in the first week of free agency, signing 10 free agents including four of their own players and Minnesota center Melvin Fowler, whom they signed later Tuesday.

The other players signed include two receivers, Andre' Davis, a four-year NFL veteran who played for New England last season, and Josh Reed, who spent the past four seasons in Buffalo.

The Bills, however, could use additional cap space to continue addressing their most immediate needs on the offensive line.

Moulds was Buffalo's first-round pick in the 1996 draft and has been a full-time starter since his third season. In 154 games, he has 675 catches for 9,096 yards and 48 touchdowns. Only Andre Reed has more catches (941) and yards (13,095) among Bills receivers.

Ambridge
03-23-2006, 06:35 PM
STEELERS INTERESTED IN MOULDS
Moulds, a ten-year veteran, has twice been asked to take a pay cut for 2006, and has consistently refused.
The team recently authorized him to solicit trade offers.
He's scheduled to earn $6.089 million in base salary in 2006, and $7.25 million in 2007.

I don't think Moulds would be willing to take the kind of pay cut Pittsburgh would be asking for.
The Steelers weren't going to give big bucks to Randle-El then why give it to Moulds??

Suitanim
03-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Forget about it...this is pro football talk.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Ambridge, remember when Diamond Dave was almost ready to start banning people for posting PFT stuff as fact?

tony hipchest
03-23-2006, 06:40 PM
if the steelers were interrested in talking to ty law last season, they are most definitely interrested in talking to eric moulds. hes alot like hines in the fact that they can make chicken salad out of chicken shit. both have excelled with subpar or young, developing qb's.

steelers could probably afford to give up a few draft picks, or a hefty contract to a top notch free agent if they really wanted (and i say "hefty" in steelerterms @ $4-4-5 mil/ year) but they cant afford to do both.

problem is theres teams like eagles, patriots, and the packers who can probably do both, or wait til hes cut and throw cash at him. all three of them teams have HUGE cap space. moulds would love to finally have an opportunity to play with a b. farve, t. brady, or d. mcnabb (hed be assured the #1 slot in philly). but the steelers have to atleast talk to him and wave that lombardi under his nose, cause it could give him his best shot of winning it all. hes made a ton of cash already.

Midnightwriter1
03-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Well first of all, i just copied and pasted the article.... i dont know if would be a good idea or not and what he would be willing to come to the Steelrers foranyway. Obviosuly, Moulds and Randle El are not even in the same class as far as receivers go ... Moulds is a much better receiver and would give Ben more of a target in my opinion. Randle El couldnt hold Mould's jockstrap i dont think. But your prolly right as far as him being too expensive... I think in part that he just wants out of Buffalo because the Bills are NOT going to be a winning team in the forseable future and he prolly wants to get out of there because he understands that and doesnt want to finish his career with another 4 losing seasons with no real QB in sight. I for one would welcome it even if only for a short term deal if he would take that cut to be on a team with a chance to win. I am suprised the Browns havnt gone after him to play along side B Edwards.

Ambridge
03-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Forget about it...this is pro football talk.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Ambridge, remember when Diamond Dave was almost ready to start banning people for posting PFT stuff as fact?

Yeah! I vaguely remember that.

Suitanim
03-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Midnight,
I'm not knocking you for posting it, just warning you to take PFT with a grain of salt.

Midnightwriter1
03-23-2006, 06:51 PM
I do take every report with a grain of salt, nothing is factual about it .. nor was it factual when John Clayton of ESPN said on t.v that Culpepper was going to the Raiders as fact. It is the trade season so there is always speculation.

Ambridge
03-23-2006, 06:52 PM
if the steelers were interrested in talking to ty law last season, they are most definitely interrested in talking to eric moulds.

But remember that Ty Law also wanted big bucks as well and that was even coming off of that serious foot injury he had.(Courtesy of Heinz Field)

I'm sure once the numbers are bantered about that's about as far as the conversation will go with Moulds.

Midnightwriter1
03-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Yes, true ... but the Steelers were interested and wanted to know what he would be willing to take to play for us ... the article only states that they are interested in him ... doesnt say anything else lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-23-2006, 06:58 PM
There is no way in the world we're gonna pay Moulds that kinda money.. He's nuts if he thinks others should too ..but u know someone will..

Suitanim
03-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Actually, I'm not sure someone will. 6-7 mil is CRAZY money for a guy clearly on the decline.

I'd offer 2.5 and Moulds best chance for a ring...but, at this point, I'm not sure they can afford even that much...

tony hipchest
03-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Actually, I'm not sure someone will. 6-7 mil is CRAZY money for a guy clearly on the decline.

I'd offer 2.5 and Moulds best chance for a ring...but, at this point, I'm not sure they can afford even that much...

jerry jones would. especially if he didnt land t.o. who is about as old as moulds and who has primarily played with pro bowlers, as opposed to the scrubs moulds played with. i think his decline had as much to do with hocomb and losman as anything.

they could find some wiggle room if they came across somebody they felt they had to have. i dont think moulds is a "must have". if they talk, i think they offer the same they would ve offered randle el (and feel like they made an upgrade)and 2.5 mil sounds pretty right on.

Midnightwriter1
03-23-2006, 07:49 PM
I know olds is 33 but he is still putting up 1000 yard seasons with Qb's that arent so good, i think he still has some years left in him.

noto45
03-23-2006, 09:15 PM
I say we pay him 5 mil a year for 2 years

DIESELMAN
03-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Hell no!! 5 mil over 10 years is more like it....LMAO

Midnightwriter1
03-24-2006, 02:03 AM
hard to argeu with that !! lol

Steel Pit
03-24-2006, 03:10 AM
Well first of all, i just copied and pasted the article.... i dont know if would be a good idea or not and what he would be willing to come to the Steelrers foranyway. Obviosuly, Moulds and Randle El are not even in the same class as far as receivers go ... Moulds is a much better receiver and would give Ben more of a target in my opinion. Randle El couldnt hold Mould's jockstrap i dont think. But your prolly right as far as him being too expensive... I think in part that he just wants out of Buffalo because the Bills are NOT going to be a winning team in the forseable future and he prolly wants to get out of there because he understands that and doesnt want to finish his career with another 4 losing seasons with no real QB in sight. I for one would welcome it even if only for a short term deal if he would take that cut to be on a team with a chance to win. I am suprised the Browns havnt gone after him to play along side B Edwards.

So if Randel El couldn't hold Moulds jock strap then why would you assume that Steelers have any interest in replacing Randel El with such a high dollar WR? If your assumption is correct then the Steelers could replace Randel El with any low to moderately paid WR. I mean after all, they're only replacing a WR that couldn't hold Moulds jock strap. Wow, as if Moulds is the GOD of WR's. If Randel El couldn't hold Moulds jock strap then there must be at least 50 others that would give Randel El the same problem. They have no interest in Moulds. I guarantee it. The Steelers don't operate that way and any true Steelers fan should know it . Disregard this and future silly notions that indicate that the Steelers have an interest in a high dollar free agent.

Midnightwriter1
03-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Did you miss the Staley signing or something ? Hartings ? Thos were minimum F/A signings ? Mouls would be a huge upgrade at WR and players have taken smaller amounts of money or backended there contract to go elsewhere? They HAD interst in Ty Law last year as well or did you miss that as well ?

silver2000svt
03-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Anyone that thinks Moulds can't hold El's jock when it comes to playing WR doesn't watch a lot of football... He maybe getting older, but in his prime he was a top 10 WR and he still is a top 15-20... I say a 2 year $8 million contract offer would be well worth it... I think he wouldn't budge in Buffalo because he wanted out and that was his avenue... We shall see...