PDA

View Full Version : Gruden commentary....

TRH
11-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Anyone else enjoy his commentary during the game??

He was really showing love for the Steelers but thats not what i liked best. I liked the brutal honesty and when someone on the field made a dumb play or got toasted, he called them out loud and clear.
A nice change from the usual kiss-*** run-of-the-mill announcer teams from the NFL. There needs to be more of this (shades of Howard Cosell honesty....).
I'm not sure how much longer he'll stay in the booth because i'm sure he'll be employed sooner than later, possibly in the off-season, by a prominent NFL team in some capacity.

Steelers>NFL
11-09-2010, 09:13 AM
I like Gruden alot. I enjoy listening to him no matter where it is. In the booth, in the QB room,
in the film room etc. He is fun to listen to. And for the most part, blunt and to the point.
No dancing about the subject.

drucifer
11-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I like him too. The MNF crew blows the SNF crew out of the water...it's not even close IMO.

TRH
11-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I like him too. The MNF crew blows the SNF crew out of the water...it's not even close IMO.

Thats true. Although i do like Collinsworth. Besides Gruden, no one will "tell it like it is, the good AND the bad" like Collinsworth.
The one's i don't like anymore are the ho-hum Al Michaels, Dierdorf, etc constantly kissing everyone's ***

Curtain_of_Steel
11-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Gruden is a good guy, tells it like it is regardless.

Unless he joins the Sanchez is god train, I will hold true to my comment above, lol
That love fest needs to stop on the other networks.

joeyssteelcurtain
11-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Thats true. Although i do like Collinsworth. Besides Gruden, no one will "tell it like it is, the good AND the bad" like Collinsworth.
The one's i don't like anymore are the ho-hum Al Michaels, Dierdorf, etc constantly kissing everyone's ***

I think Collinsworth sucks i cant stand him

steelcity1974
11-09-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't think he is very good. One descent play by a team and he goes way over-board in praising them.

madtowndrunkard
11-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I think Gruden did a nice job last night.....but he's usually guilty of running at the mouth. I've watched other Monday night games and he drove me nuts. Last night he seemed to have toned it down a bit.

Hopefully one day the networks will realize it's the game on the field that is the entertainment...not the mouths.

SteelCityMom
11-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I want Dennis Miller back. :chuckle:

Gruden is probably my favorite too though. I just like his style. He does tend to ramble sometimes, but that's ok. It's no worse than Bob Errey (who does the "color" commentary for the Pens)...he will ramble you to death.

Steel_Bus_24
11-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Gruden is pretty good for the most part....but how he says Roethlisberger will start to annoy me after a while

lionslicer
11-09-2010, 12:15 PM
I've always liked Gruden, he's a cool guy, but he's awesome because he totally hates refs.
He has more insight on the game than Colinsworth or Madden have when they do games, but Gruden is also one of the only modern day coaches doing commentary. Brian Billick does games also, but he only does 1 oclock games, so you'd be luck to find him.

But I'm the type of person who enjoys hearing about the game and not just about a play, so listening to Gruden talk about packages and all that football talk is fun for me.
A color commentators job is to ramble about the game, especially when it looks like one team is winning by a lot. Play by play guys are boring by themselves unless its Gus Johnson.

kirklandrules
11-09-2010, 01:57 PM

I like Gruden, but don't agree with the idea that MNF is better than SNF. Al Michaels is so much better than Mike Tirico on play-by-play. I looked up the word "sucks" in the dictionary and found a picture of Tirico. He sucks so bad his father slapped his mother when she gave birth to him. He's truly a train wreck. When the pregame starts and they pan in on him and he opens his mouth, it's all I can do to keep myself from :puke:

steelerdave1969
11-09-2010, 02:06 PM
I agree here everyone, I love Gruden and his style. And from the way it sounds he will most likely not be going anywhere to coach. First of all he has a contract for MNF and 2nd I think he Loves what he's doing.

wootawnee
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I've always liked Gruden, he's a cool guy, but he's awesome because he totally hates refs.
He has more insight on the game than Colinsworth or Madden have when they do games, but Gruden is also one of the only modern day coaches doing commentary. Brian Billick does games also, but he only does 1 oclock games, so you'd be luck to find him.

But I'm the type of person who enjoys hearing about the game and not just about a play, so listening to Gruden talk about packages and all that football talk is fun for me.
A color commentators job is to ramble about the game, especially when it looks like one team is winning by a lot. Play by play guys are boring by themselves unless its Gus Johnson.

Come on man....Madden had the highest winning % ever...........

lionslicer
11-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Come on man....Madden had the highest winning % ever...........

I didn't say anything about his coaching ability but he wasn't a modern coach, he coached in the 70's, Gruden and Billick are the only coaches who do commentary who have coached since 2000.

But Madden was too obviously, though I still think he's awesome, but Troy Aikmen loses his contact and Madden is like "here's a guy who see's better with his contacts in" Like seriously... we don't need this during a football game.

StainlessStill
11-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I love Gruden, always did. I actually like the team of Him & Jaws, they seem to get into it at times but it's all good.

I was just saying last night that we should pick up Gruden for an assistant job before he lands a huge head coaching position soon. I loved how he made the correlation of the Bengals being full of potential, but the Steelers are full of productivity and veterans and that's the difference between the two. Great job by the booth there, esp Gruden!

lionslicer
11-09-2010, 04:20 PM
I love Gruden, always did. I actually like the team of Him & Jaws, they seem to get into it at times but it's all good.

I was just saying last night that we should pick up Gruden for an assistant job before he lands a huge head coaching position soon. I loved how he made the correlation of the Bengals being full of potential, but the Steelers are full of productivity and veterans and that's the difference between the two. Great job by the booth there, esp Gruden!

He could replace Bruce the douche Arians...

TRH
11-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Madden's act in the booth got old VERY quickly.

I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a fork than listen to him.

Need4spd
11-10-2010, 09:03 AM
I too am a Gruden fan. Unfortunately for the sake of Monday Night Football he's going to be back on the sidelines at some point, probably fairly soon.

joeyssteelcurtain
11-10-2010, 02:28 PM
I too am a Gruden fan. Unfortunately for the sake of Monday Night Football he's going to be back on the sidelines at some point, probably fairly soon.

Yea he will be coaching the cowboys team

TRH
11-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Yea he will be coaching the cowboys team

Only if the new guy fails. I guess Jerry Jones LOVES this assistant....enough to pay him 3 mil a year as an assistant. He'll definitely get a chance.

lionslicer
11-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Only if the new guy fails. I guess Jerry Jones LOVES this assistant....enough to pay him 3 mil a year as an assistant. He'll definitely get a chance.

I hope Gruden isn't stupid enough to do that. He had problems with a GM in tampa, I doubt he'll go to Dallas and deal with Jones and his stuborness. I say he's more likely to end up with the Vikings, possibly the Bengals if they fire Marvin... Gruden is from Ohio.