PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Transcript

SteelCityMom
11-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Tomlin transcript
By SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Nov 9, 2010
http://pit.scout.com/2/1020144.html

Mike Tomlin returned from Cincinnati in time for his weekly Tuesday press conference:

Mike Tomlin, coach, Pittsburgh Steelers

Good afternoon. Tough, hard-fought victory for us last night in Cincinnati. Like I said last night, good to go on the road in the AFC North and get a victory. Far from perfect, but such is life. We’re 6-2 here at the turn and we’ve got a short week and a scalded New England team to get ready for. Needless to say we’ve got a lot on our plate.

Kind of a brief synopsis of the injury report as we sit here right now:

-- Will Allen sustained a concussion in the game. He’ll have a post-concussion test. He may be limited in the early portion of the week. We’ll see how those tests go.

-- Brett Keisel still is working through his hamstring strain. He was really unable to get it going last night. We expect this guy to continue to work and see where he is this week.

-- Chris Kemoeatu has a knee sprain. He’ll be limited the first part of the week and we’ll see if we can get him going, get him enough snaps in preparation to be available for us.

-- Heath Miller had a little fluid on his knee. It may limit him tomorrow (Wednesday).

-- Mewelde Moore has a concussion; similar situation as Will Allen.

-- Maurkice Pouncey’s going to be fine with a tibia bruise. He came back in the game and finished.

-- Isaac Redman also has a concussion.

-- Max Starks experienced some stingers. We’ll see where he is.

We’ve got somewhat of a laundry list. Working off of a short week it’s important that we prepare smart in regards to working around and with these injuries. I’m sure many of these guys will be available for the contest, but they have limited preparation. The standard’s the standard. We have to prepare smart with these guys, even look at potentially alterior modes of preparation to make sure enough of these men get sufficient looks at what’s necessary for us to play.

Of course, we’re playing a good football team in New England, 6-2. It starts with their quarterback Tom Brady, who’s capable of spreading the ball around to a bunch of people. They’re capable of working exclusively out of the no-huddle offense, or huddling if they choose. I think last week they worked exclusively out of the no-huddle. Of course they’ve got Deion Branch back in the fold from Seattle. He’s a legit threat. [Brandon] Tate is another guy. Wes Welker is the best in the business inside. I think that’s well-documented. We’re going to have our hands full there. Guys like William Gay and others will try to slow him down, particularly on possession downs and some of the things they do with him as run-game alternatives. We’ve got to be good against this guy because he’s one of the best. Unique tight end situation, they really have some quality guys there. [Aaron] Hernandez, a Florida man, is playing beyond his years. He’s a rookie and he’s very productive. I think he’s No. 2 to Welker on the team in receptions. They utilize this guy’s unique skill set in a lot of ways. We went down there and looked at their Pro Day when we were looking at Maurkice and really came away impressed with this guy’s skill set and what he’s capable of doing in terms of route-running and catching the football. He’s proven that to be true on NFL tape. [Rob] Gronkowski is another tight end that they give the ball to. They’ve got a stable of backs and they utilize them all. One noteworthy guy is [Danny] Woodhead, who’s kind of taken the role of Kevin Faulk as a dual-threat guy, third-down kind of a back, match-up issues out of the backfield, draw runner and so forth. I really like the spark he’s provided them in the games that we’ve studied thus far.

Defensively, a very young unit when you look at it. I’m sure there’s great cause for optimism when you take that approach seeing the guys they have contributing and playing. Stabilizing veteran presence up front with [Vince] Wilfork, who not only plays nose but you see him quite a bit now at defensive end. He’s playing quality football for them. At the linebacker position, they’ve got a nucleus of impressive young guys led by [Jerod] Mayo inside, along with [Brandon] Spikes, a rookie from Florida who we’re familiar with and was impressive at his Pro Day. [Jermaine] Cunningham, another Florida man, is playing outside. He made the transition from D-end to outside linebacker. We, too, were interested in him as an outside linebacker candidate. He appears to be very comfortable in that role and is making plays for them. In the secondary, I really like their collection of safeties. [Brandon] Meriweather and [Patrick] Chung are really good. [James] Sanders comes in for sub-package football. He’s starter-capable and has started for them in the past. That crew of safeties is as deep and solid as you’ll find. And the rookie corner [Devin] McCourty is playing some really good football for them, a Rutgers man, mature, savvy player for his age. We held him in high regard in draft preparations as well. This guy’s proving the NFL stage isn’t too big for him.

Coach [Bill] Belichick and company will always be prepared. They’ll put together a good schematic plan. They’ll come in here ready to play, particularly so after last week’s performance. They’ll be excited about getting out and playing again, as will we. We recognize that this is a big game for us. It’s great to be back at home in front of our home fans. The road’s been tough but that’s what the road is. We pushed through that stretch, not like we would like ideally but we’ll take it. And we’ll be back at home this weekend in front of Steeler Nation.

Questions?

Q: If Moore and Redman are down, does that mean more opportunities for Jonathan Dwyer? Or would you look at bringing in another back?

A: If they’re down. If they’re down that might mean more opportunities. Of course we take these post-concussion symptoms very seriously, but we’re not going to worry about it until it’s evident.

Q: Could you talk about bringing pressure in Cincinnati and how the guys responded?

A: I thought the pressure was good for the better part of the night. With a guy like Carson [Palmer], he can dictate whether he gets hit or not and those type of things. He was getting the ball out of his hand early, so the pressure was sufficient early in the football game. Of course, later in the football game when he had to drive the ball downfield a little bit, he wasn’t as in control of whether or not he got hit. Because of that we were able to hit him some and get to him some and the positive things that come with that. But I liked our pressure for the better part of the night. It’s just with a savvy guy and quick decision-maker like Carson, you’re not going to get to him in the early portion of the football games unless he wants you to.

Q: When did the Patriots evolve into an offensive juggernaut?

A: Since I’ve been here they’ve had Tom Brady, so they’re always going to be among the elite.

Q: Is Belichick’s defense too complicated for their young guys to pick up?

A: They’re 6-2. I think that speaks to a pretty good defense. When you’re ahead like they are, people are going to get yards and move up and down the field. They’re doing what’s necessary to keeping people out of the end zone. I’ve always been impressed with coach Belichick’s group in terms of situational football.

Q: What did Cleveland do so effectively last week against New England?

A: I don’t know why everyone’s surprised that Cleveland plays well. They’ve got a back that will hurt you really bad. They’re always good schematically, defensively, with their packages and the way they’re capable of getting after you. And if they complete manageable third downs, they’ve got a chance to beat you. That’s what the tape showed, not only in the instance of New Orleans but in the instance of New England.

Q: When the lead reached 27-7 last night, did you sense the air go out of your sideline?

A: No. I sensed the errors. That’s always the case. I thought the turnover when they had the short field was big. They capitalized and made plays. We didn’t make enough plays. It made the game extremely interesting.

Q: Are you gratified with the ability to run the ball late?

A: Yeah. It was exciting to see, particularly under the circumstances. Of course we had one back left and five offensive linemen and we were able to chew the clock up and get the necessary first downs and move the ball down the field. Unfortunately we weren’t able to get the field goal. You’d like to let that be a signature of how you finish the game. Of course that wasn’t the case but I liked the mentality of the group. I liked the way that they seized that moment and I thought had an opportunity to seize control of the game and finish it off in a manner in which you like as a coach. It just didn’t unfold that way.

Q: How did you decide which receiver to double and take out of the game?

A: It felt like it’d be easier to get [Chad] Ochocinco out of the game because he was the single-receiver side guy. You had some route-combination issues when you’re talking about T.O. [Terrell Owens]. That’s probably been the case with most people who’ve played them. It’s easier to get that single-receiver wideout out of the game than it is the combination route runner. T.O.’s hurt a lot of people; Chad’s hurt a lot of people. They’ve got a really good group. It was somewhat ‘pick your poison’ but also we were concerned about letting Cedric Benson get rolling as well. They’ve got a lot of offensive weapons, as evidenced by how they were able to get that thing going in the latter part of the game.

Q: Is the dramatic improvement in special teams the result of a new coach changing schematics or just the amped up play on the field?

A: It’s probably a combination of all parties involved. I like the energy and know-how that Al [Everest] has brought to the table. I also like the contributions of some of the men that we’ve added. Arnaz Battle does a nice job in a lot of phases. Of course, William Gay’s been a constant special-teams core guy for us. Young guys like Stevenson Sylvester and Jason Worilds have anted up and kicked in. Emmanuel Sanders put his hat on the ball and caused a fumble on the opening kickoff. It’s really probably equally contributed to schematics and players.

stb_steeler
11-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Not that im a Tomlin hater, but i get tired of him saying style points dont matter and they shouldnt but, how do you explain a 27-7 lead. Does he think they'll still win the game with a big lead? so what if they score a few on us.

OX1947
11-09-2010, 02:13 PM
I can't listen to Tomlin talk anymore either. Everything always sounds allegorical. Dude, its football, not Gladiator. Also, blowing leads in the 4th is getting to the point where watching football sucks.

steelerdave1969
11-09-2010, 02:26 PM
What was the final score of last nights' game again? We won guys, its a win whether its by 30 or by 1 its still a win. I hate games like this where we get a huge lead and give it up like we did. Penalties and lack of pressure on the QB just kill me sometimes. Sometimes I hate the way Tomlin carries himself but the Steelers continue to look pretty good on defense most of the time, but thats on LeBeau anyways in my opinion and you can tell LeBeau was very relieved after this win last night.

SteelCurtain
11-10-2010, 12:12 AM
To be honest, I was disappointed when Tomlin was hired and I'm still disappointed. I still think Whisenhunt would have been a better coach. He almost beat us in the Super Bowl with an inferior team. Anyways, I can't stand listening to Tomlin talk. He is always so politically correct and I get tired of hearing it. I know what his answer is going to be before I even read or hear it. Give me a guy that tells the honest truth and says shit the way it is.

scsteeler
11-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Not that im a Tomlin hater, but i get tired of him saying style points dont matter and they shouldnt but, how do you explain a 27-7 lead. Does he think they'll still win the game with a big lead? so what if they score a few on us.

Style points don't matter. You talk as if Tomlin threw the Int that lead to the comeback and he gave up all those points. I am pretty sure he would love to win each game by 20+ points or more but I also recognize that Tomlin does not In public bash his team for the mistakes they made and that is done behind the scenes where it should be.

No I don't like eeking out a win but If we can go undefeated though the SB eeking out wins I will take it. a (W) is a (W) no matter how you get i luck or otherwise.

scsteeler
11-10-2010, 01:05 PM
What was the final score of last nights' game again? We won guys, its a win whether its by 30 or by 1 its still a win. I hate games like this where we get a huge lead and give it up like we did. Penalties and lack of pressure on the QB just kill me sometimes. Sometimes I hate the way Tomlin carries himself but the Steelers continue to look pretty good on defense most of the time, but thats on LeBeau anyways in my opinion and you can tell LeBeau was very relieved after this win last night.

Was is Tomlin's fault for the Penalites? Did Tomlin throw the Int. If the Defense gives up big plays on 3rd and Long is that Tomlin's fault or Lebeau's?

Hey we won and if Tomlin gets the credit for the loses then he also gets the credit for the Win's. We have a great coach and people should recognize this.

harts
11-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Just win Baby
Tomlin is doing fine
6-2 (4 games without Ben and we beat the Ravens if he is there) and some people have the nerve to complain
Jeez

duke0476
11-10-2010, 06:30 PM
To be honest, I was disappointed when Tomlin was hired and I'm still disappointed. I still think Whisenhunt would have been a better coach. He almost beat us in the Super Bowl with an inferior team. Anyways, I can't stand listening to Tomlin talk. He is always so politically correct and I get tired of hearing it. I know what his answer is going to be before I even read or hear it. Give me a guy that tells the honest truth and says shit the way it is.

Whisenhut -
2007 8-8
2008 9-7 Super Bowl loss
2009 10-6
2010 3-5

Tomlin -
2007 10-6
2008 12-4 Super Bowl Win
2009 9-7
2010 6-2

Hmmmm....

A coaches job is to coach, not cause anymore conflict that the players themselves have already done a bang up job of doing. He is politically correct because that is the way he conducts himself.

He is animated and emotional on the field which is what matters to me. I could care less what he says during a presser.

Do any of you downers really think he talks the same way in the locker room? I highly doubt it. He saves what he needs for the field and the locker room which is the way it should be.

lionslicer
11-10-2010, 06:39 PM

Just so you know, that run back in the superbowl by Harrison was Tomlins fault... a couple days befor ethe superbowl, he couldn't sleep because of what he saw in practice when players would get an interception, no one would block, so he made that an issue the next practice, and since then every steeler interception has had players get around them and block... Sometime Tomlin taught the Bucs in 2002 to help have the highest scoring defense ever.

They are both good coaches, but Tomlin is more of a motivator while Whiz is a strategist. Tomlin is also one to keep his negative comments in the locker room, and on the field and during practice he's usually extremely loud and emotional and thats what works. And I'm glad he doesn't say anything that gets himself in trouble with the Media or Players and vice versa. Teams don't need distractions.
This his style of coaching, and its winning. I think he needs to work on better communication with the Roonies and the GM about players and coaching staff, but other than that he's done a fine and dandy job in Pittsburgh.

Fire Haley
11-10-2010, 06:46 PM
The Whiz. is a loser.

Cards fans already want his dumb ass run out of town on a rail for his QB choices and blunders in FA
Good riddance, they can have him.

OX1947
11-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Just so you know, that run back in the superbowl by Harrison was Tomlins fault... a couple days befor ethe superbowl, he couldn't sleep because of what he saw in practice when players would get an interception, no one would block, so he made that an issue the next practice, and since then every steeler interception has had players get around them and block... Sometime Tomlin taught the Bucs in 2002 to help have the highest scoring defense ever.

They are both good coaches, but Tomlin is more of a motivator while Whiz is a strategist. Tomlin is also one to keep his negative comments in the locker room, and on the field and during practice he's usually extremely loud and emotional and thats what works. And I'm glad he doesn't say anything that gets himself in trouble with the Media or Players and vice versa. Teams don't need distractions.
This his style of coaching, and its winning. I think he needs to work on better communication with the Roonies and the GM about players and coaching staff, but other than that he's done a fine and dandy job in Pittsburgh.

And this is exactly the point. He has good strategies and good ideas, however he can't seem to close games normally. Get a damn fullback and close the damn game if you have too. Cowher use to do this with the lousiest QB's in the history of the game with smaller leads. Tomlin says impose your will. GOOD, impose it in the 4th. Even if you dont score, kill 5 or 6 min of time so the other team can not have time to score 3 TDs in a quarter.

The loss to the saints was player error, Health fumbled at the worse time. Against the Ravens, the offensive line went off sides twice at the worst time and jacked up field position at the end and the Ravens made them pay.

I am worried about a redux of last year. And I am doubly worried about what happen in the Super Bowl. Big Ben saved the steelers numerous times in 2008. And up 20-7 with 12 min left, if Big ben wasnt on fire at the end, that would have been a horrible loss. With our kicker sucking this year, the pressure is even worse...

lionslicer
11-10-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't think it's Tomlin's fault there isn't a fullback and the running game can't close the game in the 4th quarter. Cowher had a lot of power over what happened on the field and the roster, he even got Rooney to fire the dirrect of football operations during his first couple years in pittsburgh. Tomlin seems to respect Rooney's decisions too much to to try and say he should be granted more power in the organization. But maybe he doesn't want that much power, maybe he's fine with just being the coach of the team.

ZoneBlitzer
11-11-2010, 03:38 AM
Well IF I was a paying customer in Pittsburgh, style points would matter to me. Stylistically I would like to see an offense be more consistent, chew up more time and put up more points. The Cincy game shouldn't have been that close, stylistically speaking. Style points also reveal your execution level. If you're tossing out INT's then stylistically speaking, you're not executing very well. Having said that, I'm not a paying customer and as such I don't have a right to complain. As a fan, however, it can be never wracking.

duke0476
11-11-2010, 08:29 AM
And this is exactly the point. He has good strategies and good ideas, however he can't seem to close games normally. Get a damn fullback and close the damn game if you have too. Cowher use to do this with the lousiest QB's in the history of the game with smaller leads. Tomlin says impose your will. GOOD, impose it in the 4th. Even if you dont score, kill 5 or 6 min of time so the other team can not have time to score 3 TDs in a quarter.

The loss to the saints was player error, Health fumbled at the worse time. Against the Ravens, the offensive line went off sides twice at the worst time and jacked up field position at the end and the Ravens made them pay.

I am worried about a redux of last year. And I am doubly worried about what happen in the Super Bowl. Big Ben saved the steelers numerous times in 2008. And up 20-7 with 12 min left, if Big ben wasnt on fire at the end, that would have been a horrible loss. With our kicker sucking this year, the pressure is even worse...

It was not Tomlins fault that we went to that damn prevent defense at the beginning of the fourth. As soon as Randle L threw that TD I told my buddy we were screwed. Being up by 20 guaranteed we were going to go to prevent and 15 min is way too long to do it. All a prevent D does is prevent you from winning the game especially since it seems we cant cover anyone over the middle.

It was not Tomlins fault that Ben threw a stupid INT.

It was not Tomlins fault that we drew 3 big penalties on 3 plays.

I am still not sold on Tomlin completely but I like what he has done so far.

grward
11-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Tomlin is also one to keep his negative comments in the locker room, and on the field and during practice he's usually extremely loud and emotional and thats what works. And I'm glad he doesn't say anything that gets himself in trouble with the Media or Players and vice versa. Teams don't need distractions.

He's talking to the media. Those of you who do not like how he handles his press conferences and gives politically correct comments need to go talk to the media themselves. Seriously, the media's job is to twist and turn words into another story. Who cares how he handles his press conferences ... let's focus on how he wins games. Even if by 1 point.

I'm more worried about the make-shift offensive line he needs to put together and have ready to play come Sunday night. No way do I want to lose to the Cheats.