PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks - Season Ending Injury?

Atlanta Dan
11-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Yikes - hard to see the o-line surviving this

Steelers' Starks may be out for season

Steelers tackle Max Starks has a serious neck injury involving a disc and may not play again this season.

Starks was consulting with doctors late today to determine if the injury required surgery, or if it would heal over time without surgery using physical therapy instead, a source close to Starks told the Post-Gazette.

The source emphasized that the injury does not threaten Starks career.

Starks, the Steelers starting left tackle, left Monday night's game in Cincinnati with what coach Mike Tomlin described as "stingers" in his neck. He returned to play but then left the game for good. Tomlin again described Starks' injury as a "stinger" at his press conference today.

But an MRI later showed it to be a more serious injury of a disc in the upper verterbrae or neck area.

Starks, 28, is in his seventh season with the Steelers. He has started the past three seasons at left tackle and also started two seasons at right tackle

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10313/1101965-66.stm

lionslicer
11-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Wait... Didn't he come back into the game?... Maybe I'm seeing things.

But regardless if he's even gone a game the Steelers are in trouble. As of right now if Kemo doesn't play, there will only be 5 offensive linemen dressed for the game...

In the long run without Starks, idk who filled in for him, but the line did a decent job, not good, but decent job without him.

Steel_Bus_24
11-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Injuries are trying to take way away our shot at another SB again:banging:

Atlanta Dan
11-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Injuries are trying to take way away our shot at another SB again:banging:

Ask the Colts how that works

Tuesday is press conference day but the Monday off day is when the seriousness of injuries is assessed - Tomlin was guessing as to how banged up players were during his presser today

Maybe the Seelers can put another potentially promising draft choice on waivers (Worlds?) to keep Starks off IR so he can return for the playoffs:noidea:

tony hipchest
11-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Maybe the Seelers can put another potentially promising draft choice on waivers (Worlds?) to keep Starks off IR so he can return for the playoffs:noidea:

:chuckle: that justs wrong. funny... but wrong.

this sucks. i wonder if justin hartwig can play LT.

Fire Arians
11-09-2010, 07:02 PM
that sucks, we are thin already on OL as is, especially at tackle.

Steelers17
11-09-2010, 07:19 PM
I certainly wish Max the very best. A season ending injury is one thing; a career ending C-spine injury another. Hopefully others have resumed careers after cervical disc removals - if required???

Oh ****!

Atlanta Dan
11-09-2010, 07:51 PM
PG+ poster says Gerry Dulac just reported on Fox 970 radio that Max Starks will be put on IR.

Losing Aaron Smith and Max Starks (after game 8 with a 6-2 record) may not turn out to be as bad as losing Smith and Troy (after game 8 with a 6-2 record) last season but it is bad enough.

Adams apparently stays at RT with the plan being to go with Jonathan Scott or Tony Hills

Staying healthy is a big part of going deep in the playoffs - the injuries are piling up

Fire Haley
11-09-2010, 09:40 PM
That's it, the season is officially over.

run Ben run

ZoneBlitzer
11-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Who's on the practice squad?

lionslicer
11-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Who's on the practice squad?

Kyle Golly a rookie tackle and Dorian Brooks a rookie guard.
Foster is inactive but he isn't injured, they'll probably use him before they turn to the rookies. Unless Kemo isn't dressed for this game, they'll bring one of them up.

SteelKnight
11-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Wait... Didn't he come back into the game?... Maybe I'm seeing things.

But regardless if he's even gone a game the Steelers are in trouble. As of right now if Kemo doesn't play, there will only be 5 offensive linemen dressed for the game...

In the long run without Starks, idk who filled in for him, but the line did a decent job, not good, but decent job without him.

Remember when I did my poll, these board members picked Starks as the one they would most be willing to lose for the season...even more than Heath Miller...despite the poor play by Scott and Hill covering for him...so I guess those fans can tell us who would replace him.

wootawnee
11-09-2010, 10:45 PM
He needs a huge Chirorpractor.............Any 6'8" 350 llb one out there?.......

steelerohio
11-10-2010, 12:30 AM
I think that poll jinxed Starks...

GBMelBlount
11-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Remember when I did my poll, these board members picked Starks as the one they would most be willing to lose for the season...even more than Heath Miller....

Great point Steelknight.

I guess the upside of having an EXTREMELY mediocre line is that when it gets decimated you really don't have to worry about the performance dropping off much. :chuckle:

Seriously though, this is a big concern imo. We ARE getting thin.

Rick5895
11-10-2010, 07:00 AM
This is unfortunate, however, I am not one to throw in the towel and our season as a team is certainly not over. Earlier in the season we rotated the OL because of the heat and they did an admirable job. Starks is the ultimate team player and it is tough to lose him but Scott or Hills may just surprise us.
We will need to draft another tackle in the 1st round this coming draft.

Atlanta Dan
11-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Great point Steelknight.

I guess the upside of having an EXTREMELY mediocre line is that when it gets decimated you really don't have to worry about the performance dropping off much. :chuckle:

Seriously though, this is a big concern imo. We ARE getting thin.

Starks was an adequate LT - not so certain his replacement will be (assuming the Steelers do not run out of replacements). I really do not want to see Spaeth at tackle.:chuckle:

With all the other o-line problems this year at least the Pouncey pick has been a success and he was not seriously hurt Monday night. At some point you run out of bodies to fill the losses.

That havig been said, good to see an esteemed poster from the days prior to the breakup last May visiting this board again:drink:

mesaSteeler
11-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Steelers: Starks' season in jeopardy
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Jared Wickerham/Getty Images
Steelers offensive lineman has suffered various injuries this season.

The news for the ailing Steelers turned worse late Tuesday afternoon when they learned that tackle Max Starks has a serious neck injury involving a disc and may not play again this season.

Starks was consulting with doctors late Tuesday to determine if the injury required surgery, or if it would heal over time without surgery using physical therapy instead, a source close to Starks told the Post-Gazette.

The source emphasized that the injury does not threaten Starks career.

Starks, the Steelers' starting left tackle, left the game Monday night in Cincinnati with what coach Mike Tomlin described as "stingers" in his neck. He returned to play but then left the game for good. Tomlin at his news conference Tuesday said Starks "experienced some stingers. We'll see where he is."

But an MRI later showed it to be a more serious injury of a disc in the upper vertebrae or neck area.

Starks, 28, is in his seventh season with the Steelers. He has started the past three seasons at left tackle and also started two seasons at right tackle.

The Steelers lost their starting right tackle, Willie Colon, to an Achilles injury in June. They also lost defensive end Aaron Smith for much of the season if not all with a torn triceps and placed quarterback Dennis Dixon on injured reserve.

The team has several options it can pursue to replace Starks. Jonathan Scott, signed as a free agent from Buffalo, started the second game of the season at left tackle in Tennessee for an injured Starks (ankle) and replaced him Monday night. Tony Hills, a fourth-round draft pick in 2008, has played some left tackle. Flozell Adams, the starting right tackle, was a five-time Pro Bowl left tackle in Dallas. He could move if the Steelers want to rearrange the two tackle positions on their line rather than one. They also have Ramon Foster, a backup guard who played right tackle at the University of Tennessee.

The Steelers also have a rookie tackle on their practice squad, Kyle Jolly.
Sports writers Dan Gigler and Gerry Dulac contributed to this story. For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10314/1102041-66.stm#ixzz14yMtgAo9

Atlanta Dan
11-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Different take from the Trib-Review

Starks, who left the Bengals game with a stinger but later returned, may be out for the rest of the regular season. But the seventh-year veteran could potentially return for the playoffs — assuming his neck responds favorably to rest and treatment.

The Steelers are keeping Smith on the 53-man roster with the hope that he returns in mid- to late-December

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_708513.html

But Ryan Clark apparently tweets he is gone for the season

Max will still be with us throughout the year just rather have him playing. His health is more important than anything

http://www.tweeting-athletes.com/index.cfm?athleteID=8449

So who goes on the waiver wire this time if Starks does not go to IR?

Fire Haley
11-10-2010, 09:48 AM
He's done...

KFFL - Steelers | Chris Scott activated from PUP list
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 06:39:45 -0800

The Pittsburgh Steelers have announced they have activated OT Chris Scott (foot) from the Physically Unable to Perform list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KFFL - Steelers | Max Starks placed on IR
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 06:37:50 -0800

The Pittsburgh Steelers have announced they have placed OT Max Starks (neck) on Injured Reserve, ending his 2010 season.

mesaSteeler
11-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Steelers place LT Max Starks on injured reserve
09:45 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/11/steelers-place-lt-max-starks-on-injured-reserve/1

The Pittsburgh Steelers placed LT Max Starks on injured reserve on Wednesday because of a neck injury he suffered in Monday's 27-21 win in Cincinnati.

It's the second significant season-ending injury for the Steelers' offensive line this year. RT Willie Colon went on IR in June after suffering an Achilles injury.

The Steelers activated rookie OL Chris Scott from the PUP list. But it's unknown who will replace Starks in the lineup.

Veteran Jonathan Scott, who started in place of Starks in Week 2, replaced him during Monday's game.

LG Chris Kemoeatu also was injured in Monday's win, though coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday he was unsure if Kemoeatu would play next week.

jjpro11
11-10-2010, 09:52 AM
shit shit shit shit shit

tony hipchest
11-10-2010, 09:58 AM
the thing that sucks is i think i read that willie colon is healing much faster than expected, and if it werent for the stupid IR rule, would likeley be able to play late in the season.

Fire Haley
11-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Good thing we kept all them QB's - - we're gonna need them

run Ben run

Fire Haley
11-10-2010, 10:38 AM
ROOKIE

Chris Scott - Scott has played a lot of football at Tennessee as a starting left tackle, but he lacks the lateral range and foot agility to play on the left side at the next level. He is a powerful blocker who generally wins the battle once he gets his hands on opponents and can simply engulf or smother ends when blocking down for the run. He is quick to read blocking schemes and takes good angles to get to where he needs to be, but he will struggle when he needs to recover and right himself against good movement by defensive ends. He has enough going for him to eventually become a starter on the right side but will need some work on his footwork.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/chris-scott?id=497050

NYC_Steeler
11-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Good thing we kept all them QB's - - we're gonna need them

run Ben run

Is that supposed to be like "Run Forrest, Run"?

Atlanta Dan
11-10-2010, 10:40 AM
the thing that sucks is i think i read that willie colon is healing much faster than expected, and if it werent for the stupid IR rule, would likeley be able to play late in the season.

Losing both starting tackles is just rotten luck since neither Starks or Colon are in their 30s and expected to be breaking down (as opposed to the D line where Keisel and Smith are running on fumes while I expect to see Hampton or Hoke go at any time)

Cannot even blame this on the Steelers not drafting tackles with high draft picks - in today's NFL you cannot afford to pay for high quality back-ups

Although Colon says he is recovered, better to have him rehab rather than risk a new tear (unless Bouchette is correrct that the Steelers have screwed around for so long without signing Colon to a new deal that he probably will not be back in 2011).

Killer sums it up
See Ben run - run Ben run!

tony hipchest
11-10-2010, 10:43 AM
didnt the ravens cut jarod gaither?

(just checked- he's on IR)

Fire Haley
11-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Spaeth better start eating them cheezeburgers - - he's up next on the depth chart.

lionslicer
11-10-2010, 12:29 PM
ROOKIE

Chris Scott - Scott has played a lot of football at Tennessee as a starting left tackle, but he lacks the lateral range and foot agility to play on the left side at the next level. He is a powerful blocker who generally wins the battle once he gets his hands on opponents and can simply engulf or smother ends when blocking down for the run. He is quick to read blocking schemes and takes good angles to get to where he needs to be, but he will struggle when he needs to recover and right himself against good movement by defensive ends. He has enough going for him to eventually become a starter on the right side but will need some work on his footwork.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/chris-scott?id=497050

Chris Scott was on the "not physically able to preform" list of the roster, but they just took him off today, so I don't know if he failed his physical then passed it, but I'm assuming he's taking the spot for Starks.

markymarc
11-10-2010, 08:14 PM

I would really like to see the IR rule updated. I think they should have tiered IR levels for certain weeks. To me this would make sense especially with an 18 game season right around the corner.

markymarc
11-10-2010, 08:15 PM
I am glad to see Chris Scott made the team. Now we can add another rookie making the 53 man squad.