PDA

View Full Version : Exposing the Pats defense: Dwyer or Redman with more carries?

Fire Arians
11-09-2010, 06:55 PM
After seeing what Peyton Hillis did to the Pats last week, it showed that their defense is vulnerable to a power running game with a big running back smashing them the entire game. Anyone else think it's a good idea to give redman or dwyer (if redman is a no go this week) 10 carries to expose that D which looks weak against a power running attack?

If our offense can control time of possession so it isn't brady vs our secondary for over 30 minutes in the game, we should pull this off. I know arians is a dumbass, but tomlin has to have some say in the offensive gameplanning.

Not saying to start either over mendenhall, but give the big backs more carries than usual is what I'm suggesting, and if it works, pound the damn rock

then again.... Us ever exploiting a defense's weakness seems to be wishful thinking on my part

tony hipchest
11-09-2010, 07:36 PM
it sounds like a great idea and the conventional thing to do....

which means bruce will do just the opposite to "trick" them. :muhaha:

PhantomJB93
11-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Considering both Moore and Redman have concussions, I say give Dwyer his shot at the big leagues

Either way, we need to stop this RB-swap out for a drive bs. I understand giving Mendy less carries or giving him a breather for a few plays, but taking him out for an entire drive is retarded.

eafratitpm3
11-09-2010, 08:08 PM
If I'm not mistaken didn't Hillis run through the Saints defense, you see how well that worked for us, LOL.

SH-Rock
11-09-2010, 08:13 PM
If I'm not mistaken didn't Hillis run through the Saints defense, you see how well that worked for us, LOL.

They were ready for it and most likely so will the Pats.

lionslicer
11-09-2010, 08:26 PM

Browns are just a better running football team unlike the Steelers. Its not their fault, the plays are designed by Arians and they suck.
Browns running game is built around a strong fast running back like Hillis and Jerome Harrison and Jamal Lewis, and they do a good job doing that.

If Arians knew diddly poo about football he could do the same with Mendy and Redman, but he probably wont, but those running plays at the end of the game against the Bengals actually looked really nice, lets see if Arians builds on that.

Fire Arians
11-09-2010, 08:42 PM

16rush 69yd 4.3avg TD

decent numbers but i wouldn't say run through. mendenhall actually had a better day than hillis did vs NO (15rush, 71yd, 4.7avg, TD). what the browns can do on the ground, we are also capable of... well without starks now I don't know.

NE's rush defense is not as good as the saints however.

Steel_Bus_24
11-09-2010, 08:46 PM
sadly though with our injuries at OL.....I dunno if we would even be half as successful as the Browns were at pounding the rock

And I bet that SOB is Arians is loving it, more backyard football where everyone just runs around hoping Ben makes a play

steeltheone
11-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Screw Dwyer...Mendenhall will do just fine..

ZoneBlitzer
11-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Browns are just a better running football team unlike the Steelers. Its not their fault, the plays are designed by Arians and they suck.
Browns running game is built around a strong fast running back like Hillis and Jerome Harrison and Jamal Lewis, and they do a good job doing that.

If Arians knew diddly poo about football he could do the same with Mendy and Redman, but he probably wont, but those running plays at the end of the game against the Bengals actually looked really nice, lets see if Arians builds on that.

Yup. Agreed. Browns are executing better than the Steelers right now. Also, the Steelers offensive line is sinking like the Titanic with all the injuries that are occurring.

JEFF4i
11-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Less "trick" plays and maybe just more ground and pound. I mean, on almost every big play Mendy breaks, are they up the gut or nearby, or on the fringes, reverses, etc?

scsteeler
11-10-2010, 12:45 PM
it sounds like a great idea and the conventional thing to do....

which means bruce will do just the opposite to "trick" them. :muhaha:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Fire Haley
11-10-2010, 12:51 PM

Can't run without an O-line. I'll take Mendy too.

Whodis
11-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I like the idea of mixing it up with a "big" back. Sitting out Mendy a whole series for Moore doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

However, why suggest running the ball against one of the worse passing defense in the NFL? With the O-line being banged up we should spread it out and exploit their secondary.

steelerchad
11-10-2010, 01:32 PM
With our O lines health, get ready for sandlot football. Arians will call a play that breaks down in about 1.5 seconds and Ben will move around the pocket and then backtrack and then roll to the right and 7 seconds later find Hines over the middle for 20 yards or Wallace down the sideline for 40 yards. This is the best play in BA's playbook and will work to perfection at least 5 times Sunday night.

bigchuck
11-10-2010, 02:13 PM
dwyer or redman over mendenhall??? are you out of your mind??? get over the bus already hes gone and retired. if we want to beat the pats its gonna be ben that does it.

steelerchad
11-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Mendy is the best RB on this team and giving him the ball 20+ times is the right thing to do. Give Redman or whoever a carry when Mendy needs a blow, but 4-5 carries a game for RB's not named Rashard is plenty. People think because Mendy is quick, he doesn't have power. This guy is a powerful back but why try to run through them when you can juke, spin, or run around them. Just for the record here are our running back specs.

Mendy- 5'10 225
Redman- 6' 230
Dwyer- 5'11 229
Moore- 5'11 209

Fire Arians
11-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Mendy is the best RB on this team and giving him the ball 20+ times is the right thing to do. Give Redman or whoever a carry when Mendy needs a blow, but 4-5 carries a game for RB's not named Rashard is plenty. People think because Mendy is quick, he doesn't have power. This guy is a powerful back but why try to run through them when you can juke, spin, or run around them. Just for the record here are are running back specs.

Mendy- 5'10 225
Redman- 6' 230
Dwyer- 5'11 229
Moore- 5'11 209

damn, i thought dwyer was a lot bigger than that. at least he looked huge in the preseason

or maybe he lied about his weight like jerome used to? haha idk

lionslicer
11-10-2010, 03:31 PM
damn, i thought dwyer was a lot bigger than that. at least he looked huge in the preseason

or maybe he lied about his weight like jerome used to? haha idk

No one lies about their weight, usually players are weighed in at the combine and never again. The NFL doesn't continue to check weight every year if the player passes a physical. Thats why Ben is still 241 pounds... You'd think he'd lose or gain 1 pound by now lol. And why Starks is only 325 on the stat sheet. He'll tell you himself that he's about 370

From the combine till the begining of the preseason, he probably bulked up, same with Mendy, he looks a lot bigger.

Fire Arians
11-10-2010, 03:51 PM
No one lies about their weight, usually players are weighed in at the combine and never again. The NFL doesn't continue to check weight every year if the player passes a physical. Thats why Ben is still 241 pounds... You'd think he'd lose or gain 1 pound by now lol. And why Starks is only 325 on the stat sheet. He'll tell you himself that he's about 370

From the combine till the begining of the preseason, he probably bulked up, same with Mendy, he looks a lot bigger.

90% of mendy's weight is in his biceps haha

Whodis
11-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I'd like to see more screen passes. It really seems to trick the opposing defense and i doubt the Pats will be ready for it.

steelcity1974
11-10-2010, 04:46 PM

Amen...as long as he runs downhill and limits the turning his back moves, Mendy can wear them down on 25 runs.

Atlanta Dan
11-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Of course someone needs to block - PG+ reports Kemoeatu also will not be going and will be replaced by Foster

Tomlin guessed wrong on the extent of this injury too in yesterday's media chat - if Tomlin was my doctor and told me everything was OK I would make sure my will and insurance payments were up to date

I suppose the Steelers will be going to the right a lot Sunday night

markymarc
11-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I think Ramon Foster will be great at left guard. IMHO he is our best guard on the team. I also think Rashard Mendenhall will get over 100 yards against Patriots.

Merchant
11-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Mendy finna get 25 carries Sunday.

kirklandrules
11-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Until Dwyer proves he can learn the playbook and can get his pad level lower than he has shown in the past, I wouldn't hook my wagon to the kid.

MDSteel15
11-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Until Dwyer proves he can learn the playbook and can get his pad level lower than he has shown in the past, I wouldn't hook my wagon to the kid.

But if he does, his potential is sky high! :tt03:

ricksteelers55
11-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Mendy is the best RB on this team and giving him the ball 20+ times is the right thing to do. Give Redman or whoever a carry when Mendy needs a blow, but 4-5 carries a game for RB's not named Rashard is plenty. People think because Mendy is quick, he doesn't have power. This guy is a powerful back but why try to run through them when you can juke, spin, or run around them. Just for the record here are our running back specs.

Mendy- 5'10 225
Redman- 6' 230
Dwyer- 5'11 229
Moore- 5'11 209

Mendenhall is a very solid RB for us but I want to see more of the others getting involved.I dont want Mendy's career to be over in 4 years.

lionslicer
11-11-2010, 08:49 PM
90% of mendy's weight is in his biceps haha

Nah I'd say 70%... a running back who did have 90% of his weight in his biceps was Michael Pittman who played for the Bucs during the superbowl. He had some guns man, he looked more like a boxer than a running back.

http://www.femmefan.com/site/images/lookerspics/lookers4/Michael_Pittman.jpg

markymarc
11-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Mendenhall is a very solid RB for us but I want to see more of the others getting involved.I dont want Mendy's career to be over in 4 years.

I am on board with your concern. The last thing I want to see is Mendenhall running until the wheels fall off!

WeegiesWarriors
11-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Look at what Hillis and the Stains did against Baltimore, then a week later we can't run at all on the Ravens. I wouldn't change anything about our offense other than work more on hot routes. It's clear that they have no clue what a hot route is. The offense is capable of putting up 24 pts on the Patriots, and with our defense that's enough.

If there is a Pat hurt or someone we could easily expose I'm all for that. But I don't think bringing in Dwyer or Redman more will do that. Go with the Personnell and packages that has gotten you 6 wins, and study film to decipher which ones exploit their weaknesses.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-12-2010, 02:50 PM
The difference between the Browns and Steelers running game isnt Hillis...........its the fact they invest in talented O linemen.

-Joe Thomas, 1st round pick
-Alex Mack, 1st round pick
-Eric Steinbach, 2nd round pick
-Pork Chop Womack was a 4th rounder but a solid free agent pickup.

Add to that, the fact that they use a true FB in Lee Vickers and I expect them to be able to run the ball and protect the QB better than the Steelers. Forget Dwyer, but rather lets just hope our defense steps up and doesnt allow more than 20 points against the pats.

Atlanta Dan
11-12-2010, 03:46 PM
The difference between the Browns and Steelers running game isnt Hillis...........its the fact they invest in talented O linemen.

A problem when you are in the playoffs is that your draft position suffers - in 2008 I recall the Steelers were looking for o-linemen but most of the value was gone with six offensive tackles picked by the time they selected Mendenhall

Steelers were rumored to be interested in Mack but Cleveland took him with the 22nd pick in the first round in 2009 (Steelers drafted Hood)

As for Joe Thomas, he was the #3 overall pick that year - only time Steelers had a pick close to that value was in 2004 when they got Roethlisberger - if the Steelers want access to prime beef like that they will need to have a 6-10 type season first

As for Steinbach, I recall he was a free agency signing from the Bengals

I agree that drafting linemen has not been a priority and that too many LBs have been drafted, but in a league designed for parity every team is going to have holes - Steelers have had less of them than few teams other than the Patriots tover the past decade

markymarc
11-13-2010, 06:25 PM

Add to that, the fact that they use a true FB in Lee Vickers and I expect them to be able to run the ball and protect the QB better than the Steelers. Forget Dwyer, but rather lets just hope our defense steps up and doesnt allow more than 20 points against the pats.

Quoted for truth, but at least in the draft we finally invested another first round pick on offensive line with Maurkice Pouncey. We pick up a guard or tackle in the first round next year, then we are moving in the right direction. For the record, I want Mike Pouncey in the first round next year. While you may state about our defense stepping up, let's not forget that our offense has to step it up too and help out the defense. Our offense hasn't been lights out in the 2nd half either. They are just as responsible for helping out the team in the 4th quarter just like the defense.