PDA

View Full Version : How's Ben doing?

zulater
11-11-2010, 05:32 AM
I'm not sure how to put it exactly, I thought of offering a poll where you could supply a grade, but instead decided to go free style. So here it is, after 4 games back how do you think Ben's doing?

Is he where you want him to be at this point?
Is he living up to your expectations?
Do you think the offensive line issues will limit his effectiveness?
Are the receivers an issue?
Will Ben and Heath find last year's rythm before the season's out?
Are we capable of being an elite offense this year?

The forum's yours. :hatsoff:

SH-Rock
11-11-2010, 06:08 AM
He hasn't gotten as many sacks so that's good. You guys do know if we win the SB once again we have BA for next year.

TRH
11-11-2010, 06:38 AM
He looks very good and stats are pretty good considering the OL (once again), has been atrocious and injured.
The main thing is he looks like one helluva LEADER out there.

Whodis
11-11-2010, 07:25 AM
I'd like to see him get rid of the ball quicker. He still tries to make things happen a little too much. It works some times and other times it costs us. With injuries and what not I'd give him a "B"?

The offense will not be "Elite"

Need4spd
11-11-2010, 07:41 AM
The offense will not reach an elite level I don't think. I too would give Ben a B, probably a B-. Steve Young suggested that we count the number of times Ben drops back and actually delivers the ball "on time," saying that if he completed 10 passes by getting the ball out of his hands on time that it would virtually guarantee the Steelers a victory. The point is that he really does need to make more of an effort to read the defense a little more decisively and deliver the ball "on time." I realize that simply isn't his style and that may never happen, but I do think it would do the offense a world of good.

TRH
11-11-2010, 08:17 AM
one of the things Young meant when he said about "dropping into the pocket" is that basically our O-Line isn't giving him anytime whatsoever back there to stand in the pocket. It's not really Ben's fault......i keep watching him try to get some time back there and our terrible O-Line is making Ben run for his life on nearly every play

cloppbeast
11-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Steve Young suggested that we count the number of times Ben drops back and actually delivers the ball "on time," saying that if he completed 10 passes by getting the ball out of his hands on time that it would virtually guarantee the Steelers a victory.

I agree with Steve in an ideal world in a normal offense, but Ben is a perfect fit for BA's "throw it deep every other play, even on 3rd and 2" offense. Precision passing not a high order in Arian's offensive scheme - which is exactly why the short yardage running game is so important. Arian's doesn't gameplan to sustain drives and score with 10 play drives - he wants to score one play. Why do you think the offense is so bad on third downs and in the redzone?

I'm sure if Mike Holmgren were the OC, Ben would be more adept at getting the ball out quickly.

lionslicer
11-11-2010, 10:40 AM
He hasn't gotten as many sacks so that's good. You guys do know if we win the SB once again we have BA for next year.

So either we vote for the Steelers to win the superbowl this year and have Arians back or hope he screws up and causes the team to lose in the playoffs and hope he gets fired...
Mhmmmm
I'd rather win the superbowl... But Arians does suck...

DanRooney
11-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I give him a C. Seems to me as if he's regressing since his debut. He looked good against the Browns, good passing against the Dolphins (yet horrible at taking care of the ball), and pretty mediocre against the Saints and Bengals.

Fire Haley
11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Ben don't need no stinking O-line.

In fact this is just what he needs to open it up. Every play is a bomb now when he takes off running.

No more boring old 'run it up the gut 3 times' offense. Go Ben!

joeyssteelcurtain
11-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Ben don't need no stinking O-line.

In fact this is just what he needs to open it up. Every play is a bomb now when he takes off running.

No more boring old 'run it up the gut 3 times' offense. Go Ben!

Yea i say we take a deep shot every 5 or 6 plays

TRH
11-11-2010, 01:59 PM
i don't know what games some of you are watching claiming "we go deep every other play.....", but i sure ain't seeing that.
If anything we're running and screening plenty and i thought there's been a LACK of trying to get the ball downfield.
That of course, could be due to the fact that Ben has zero time back there since we don't have an OL.

zulater
11-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I wish Arians could figure out a way to get Heath Miller involved in the passing game again as something other than a 3rd tackle. anyone else noticing that on about 75% of Ben's drops on obvious passing downs Heath isn't being involved in the pattern other than as a safety valve after he's already made his block? I understand the limitations of our offensive line, but jeez, you think it might be advantageous to actually allow the guy with the best hands on the team, the one most likely to rack up yardage after the catch to be involved in the original pattern?

steelerjim58
11-11-2010, 02:48 PM
The Steelers will never be an elite offense with this o-line. There is enough talent that on any given day they can look very good, but they will never be consistently very good. I would very much like to see a comparison as to how mant times Ben drops back and has someone pressuring him within 2-3 seconds as opposed to Brady, Manning, Brees or any of the other top qbs. It's hard to throw timing routes when you have no time.

Kanata-Steeler
11-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Amogst other acolades,
"Pittsburgh is the No. 1 ranked team in scoring DEFENSE"
If we win another SuperBowl it will obviously have a lot to do with that minor fact. ;)

Our Offense with or without Ben has been struggling, to say the very least.
-just those first 4 games under Charlie Batch, we only lost to the Ravens becuase our vaunted defense blew TD coverage pass in the last 38 seconds of the game ...?
Charlie Batch "managed" those 4 games admirably, both as a QB and mentor to Dixon, and he made his O-Line rally around him when it needed to.
-and I gotta admit, he did a better job than Ben.

I ain't bashing Ben, I'm just saying with or without Ben (with this O-line), as long as we have a healthy Charlie Batch there wouldn't be much difference.

But, on a phsycological thing, after the last 6 months Ben is doing very good playing-wise, except holding ball too long, considering all the crap that has surrounded him( His own fault mind you).
-But I'm really glad he's finally got that "I am Big Ben" ego outta his system.
:tt04:

Steel_Bus_24
11-11-2010, 11:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWZL8XHSaOI

6:50-7:11

^^^Our Offense in a nutshell......except Defensive Coordinators aren't morons like that assistant

Our D isn't as good as it was in 08, so Ben going to have to find a way to pick up the slack if we want another trip to a SB

MikeHaullace
11-12-2010, 01:41 AM
i don't know what games some of you are watching claiming "we go deep every other play.....", but i sure ain't seeing that.

some of you = highlight-reel watchers

Some people just don't get to see every single game.

Picture growing up in eastern New Mexico a Steelers fan. More Oilers and Cowboys. Less everything else.

MikeHaullace
11-12-2010, 01:44 AM
How's Ben doing?, you ask?

I think Ben is doing just fine. He's doing what he's always done.

Won ugly.

So far, so good.

Brett Favre.

wootawnee
11-12-2010, 05:13 AM
Ya know how ya just dislike a team no matter what ya do?..........Well, that's how Steve Young feels about Ben........He absolutely hates him.....It pours right out of anything he says about the guy..........He cannot stand him......Trust me.....I live in 49er country, I know what I am talking about.............Therefore, no matter what comes out of his mouth, is going to be about the unorthodox stuff Ben does.........

joeyssteelcurtain
11-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Ya know how ya just dislike a team no matter what ya do?..........Well, that's how Steve Young feels about Ben........He absolutely hates him.....It pours right out of anything he says about the guy..........He cannot stand him......Trust me.....I live in 49er country, I know what I am talking about.............Therefore, no matter what comes out of his mouth, is going to be about the unorthodox stuff Ben does.........

Yes did hear him after the game monday night

markymarc
11-13-2010, 05:30 PM
While Ben has put up decent numbers since returning and we are 3-1 with him back, I still want to see more rhythm and consistency with the entire offense for 60 minutes. IMHO Ben and the offense still has a lot of work to do.

Fire Haley
11-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Take the reins off Ben.

Run over them and burn them deep at the same time.

Pound the shit out of those Pasties.....can I ever relax?

I want a Steelers victory formation at the end of this game.

Make it so.

JPPT1974
11-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Well Big Ben after coming back. Looks like he hasn't lost a step. As despite losing one game. He is back!

truesteelerfan
11-13-2010, 07:46 PM
our O will never be elite as long as BA calls the plays...Sorry.

Steeler4life1972
11-14-2010, 01:57 AM
I agree.... with arians still at the helm we will never be consistent and have not seen a consistent game from our O all year!!! He has to go after this year or our O will continue to struggle. I think Ben's playing style over the years has been out of necessity because of arians play calling...just my opinion!

ZoneBlitzer
11-14-2010, 12:14 PM
So here it is, after 4 games back how do you think Ben's doing?
Ok. But it's not all on him. The offense doesn't seem to be in sync.

Is he where you want him to be at this point?
No. I'd like to see better ball security and decision making from a veteran player. It looks like he's on his way to Brett Favre-dom when it comes to that.

Is he living up to your expectations?
No. I think Ben is capable of being the best in the league and one of the all-time greats.

Do you think the offensive line issues will limit his effectiveness?
It has to doesn't it? Without a doubt any QB will be hamstrung by an ineffective offensive line. Ben will have to make quicker reads and Arians will have to adjust his play-calling.

Are the receivers an issue?
Yes. A few times this year they have appeared to run the wrong route or responded poorly to a hot read. You can't give away a Super Bowl MVP and expect no ramifications whatsoever. The sooner they drop El on the depth chart, the better.

Will Ben and Heath find last year's rythm before the season's out?
Heath's game has digressed. He was once surprisingly sure-handed. In most recent history, he has been anything but. Heath needs to realize that he hasn't arrived just yet and that he still needs to improve all facets of his game.

Are we capable of being an elite offense this year?
No. The pieces aren't in place. They have issues with the OC (who I must give some credit to for throwing more on 1st down last game). Also, the QB doesn't respect the ball and the receivers aren't quick enough. Wallace still needs to improve his route running as well. They need to combine Mendy's finesse with a more bruising runner to mix it up. Their red zone offense is also below average. They struggle with consistency to sustain drives as well. The offense relies too heavily on the "big play". They need to concentrate on moving the chains and executing with greater precision.