PDA

View Full Version : You know you've been living in Pittsburgh way too long when...

blackvelvet
03-24-2006, 10:17 AM
needless to say, I pretty much have no life, so I make all of these pointless lists. As always, I'll start

Chruch lets out early for Steeler games

Aint' yins, and n'at are all words.

You know what redd up means

You know at least 12 fight songs

Your 21st birthday initiation is at Primianti's (at least in my family)

let's keep this list going!

LuckyNumber7
03-24-2006, 10:23 AM
When you know only four seasons....Preseason, Regular Season, Post Season and Offseason.

When you worry about Steeler players' health more than your own....

blackvelvet
03-24-2006, 03:12 PM
When you only know on four amusement parks Disney, Kennywood, Idlewild, and Sandcastle

St. Patrick's day and Steelers trainig camp are a few of the higlights of you life

You take out of towners on Skycoaster and make them nervous on the way up.

You've spent the 4th of july at the Point.

You know the Three Rivers (if you don't you aren't a true Pittsburgh native)

beSteelmyheart
03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
The part about "redding up" gave me a smile..
I've been out of the area for about 20 years, & still use that phrase. The Floridians never know what the hell I'm talking about, I always have to explain it.

BlacknGold Bleeder's Sis
03-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Slippy actually means something to you.

Everyone in your family knows what a gumband is.

Isaly's chipped ham is regarded as a delicacy.

PisnNapalm
03-25-2006, 08:37 PM
I've lived away from Pittsburgh for almost 20 years now. I still love going to the deli here and saying. I'd like a pahnd of chipped ham. They look at me with that confused puppy dog face. LOL!

I wish I could move back home! Yes I still think of Pittsburgh as home.

3 to be 4
03-26-2006, 07:53 AM
everybody strives to have athletic physiques like Willie Stargell and Jerome Bettis

83-Steelers-43
03-26-2006, 08:05 AM
everybody strives to have athletic physiques like Willie Stargell and Jerome Bettis

Not the physiques, just the attitude, class and personalities of the two. Close though. :bouncy:

Hopefully someday I can gain the physique of Teddy Brushci, but that would mean I would have to pump my body full or roids and then have a "stroke".

blackvelvet
03-26-2006, 02:13 PM
You've actually seen signs that say "Slippy When Wet"

If you watch A.I., you're automatically against someone from Cleveland or Dallas.

Mr. Clean
03-26-2006, 05:35 PM
You know you've been in Pittsburgh way too long when....

You can remember shopping at Joseph Horne Co. and Gimbels (sadly soon to add "Kaufmann's" to this list).
You can remember taking the streetcar "dahntahn".
You can remember going to see a winning Pirates team.

One thing that is terribly annoying about this area is the incredible amount of overweight cigarette smokers. A lot of my extended family is exactly like this. I work for a health insurance company (would like to leave). People complain about the cost of health insurance. Well, it wouldn't cost so damn much if people ate better, drank less and didn't smoke.

rant over

HburgXL06
03-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Everyone in your family knows what a gumband is.

Isaly's chipped ham is regarded as a delicacy.

My dad still calls them gumbands. He also worked at Isaly's for a long time and told me all about chipped ham. He's told me many stories from workin there and how they started the Klondike bar. He said though that Isaly's no longer exists and that it went out of business and the Klondike bar is all that is left of what was once a fairly large chain all over western PA, eastern Ohio, and some in WV. It's sad, I could really go for some chipped ham. Peace.

BuFu

SteelerDan43
03-26-2006, 10:43 PM
MMMMM chipped hammmmmmm I could really go for a hot chipped ham and cheese sandwich right now...

3 to be 4
03-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Not the physiques, just the attitude, class and personalities of the two. Close though. :bouncy:

Hopefully someday I can gain the physique of Teddy Brushci, but that would mean I would have to pump my body full or roids and then have a "stroke".

ouch. i hope no Patriots die by having a tree fall on them.:dang:

SuperSteelers
03-27-2006, 02:23 PM
When you've been to the Regatta more than once

When you shop for grocceries at the Strip every week

When you're stuck out of town for the 4th of July and are majorly dissapointed by the fireworks display

When you go out of town and people tell you you have an accent

83-Steelers-43
03-27-2006, 03:34 PM
ouch. i hope no Patriots die by having a tree fall on them.:dang:

Shane Corson, guy at least went around the country and spoke out against the use of steroids. I guess it's better than hiding behind your kids every chance you get and pretending you just had a "sudden" stroke.

SteelerzGirl
03-27-2006, 05:11 PM
MMMMM chipped hammmmmmm I could really go for a hot chipped ham and cheese sandwich right now...

Dubre shunka! :smile:

clevestinks
03-27-2006, 07:05 PM
When Kraut is a side vegetable!

floodcitygirl
03-27-2006, 07:11 PM
We always called it "chippy chopped ham". Imagine the people's faces the 1st time I asked for that at the deli in Ohio! Most of these people have never heard of having pork & saurkraut for New Year's! Thanks for the memories!...I need to make a trip home!

SteelerzGirl
03-27-2006, 07:43 PM
We always called it "chippy chopped ham". Imagine the people's faces the 1st time I asked for that at the deli in Ohio! Most of these people have never heard of having pork & saurkraut for New Year's! Thanks for the memories!...I need to make a trip home!

Pork and sauerkraut for New Year's is supposed to bring good luck. You're from Johnstown, PA, huh?

RoethlisBURGHer
03-27-2006, 08:06 PM

I eat that every year on New Year's.

blackvelvet
03-27-2006, 08:42 PM

I know, I remember once I went to Hilton Head, ran into this family form Cinci, and right when I opened my mouth to talk to someone from my family, they said, "You're from Pittsburgh aren't you?" and then, "Are you a Steeler fan?" "How's that one quarterback?"

Heck yes, and a lot better than yours, apparently.

SteelerDad
03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
I went to the base library here at Davis Monthan and I started talking with the woman at the front desk. After about 5 minutes, she ****s her head to the side and says, "Cambria or Somerset County?" I was a little shocked and said Somerset. She said she was from Altoona and can usually pick out a Wetsern Pennsylvania from a mile away.

I've been told we walk differently too.

floodcitygirl
03-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Pork and sauerkraut for New Year's is supposed to bring good luck. You're from Johnstown, PA, huh?Yeah. Not hard to guess how you knew that! I live in Cincinnati now. It's amazing such a German town and the vast majority have never heard of that New Years tradition! Everybody back home does...doesn't matter if you're Italian, Polish, whatever. I've GOT to make a trip back home!

floodcitygirl
03-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I went to the base library here at Davis Monthan and I started talking with the woman at the front desk. After about 5 minutes, she ****s her head to the side and says, "Cambria or Somerset County?" I was a little shocked and said Somerset. She said she was from Altoona and can usually pick out a Wetsern Pennsylvania from a mile away.

I've been told we walk differently too.I've lived away for a long time and have pretty much lost my accent. Funny though, my hubby knows immediatley when I"ve been talking to my family...he'll just walk in the door, I'll say hello and he"ll say, "you've been talkin to your sister, haven't ya"?

HburgXL06
03-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Wait........you mean there's people on this earth that don't eat pork and kraut on New Year's? Are you kiddin me? This is a joke right? My entire life every New Year's Day we would always eat that I've never known anythin different....this is a total shock to me. This is a sign that the world is comin to an end.

BuFu

83-Steelers-43
03-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Pasta, fish, Italian meats and cheeses, salads and bread on New Year's in this family.

floodcitygirl
03-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Pasta, fish, Italian meats and cheeses, salads and bread on New Year's in this family.All that & no pork & kraut? For New Years? Are you sure you're in Western PA?

floodcitygirl
03-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Ok then how about pierogies and stuffed cabbage. People here have never heard of pierogies unless they happen to come across Mrs T's at the grocery! And they think that "pigs in a blanket" are hot dogs rolled in dough!

83-Steelers-43
03-28-2006, 09:50 AM
All that & no pork & kraut? For New Years? Are you sure you're in Western PA?

Yes I am. Born and raised. But the majority of Pittsburgh is either Italian or Polish. I happen to be full-blooded Italian. Hence, the Italian meal. Not everybody in Pittsburgh eats kraut and pork. At one point in time, Pittsburgh was third in the country with the most Italian-Americans (after NYC and Chicago).

BlackNGold203
03-28-2006, 10:38 AM
going to the drive in movies...

Pittsburgh used to be the drive in theatre capital of the world...they were everywhere...

alas..they have dissipated with time...

SteelerzGirl
03-28-2006, 11:50 AM

I've been told we walk differently too.

I'm surprised she didn't include Blair County when she asked you which county you were from since she's from Altoona. I live in Cambria County. Mostly when I'm talking with someone on the West coast they can't really pinpoint where I'm from unless they're from western Pennsylvania themselves. They just say that they know I'm a yankee...(lol). :smile:

Ok then how about pierogies and stuffed cabbage. People here have never heard of pierogies unless they happen to come across Mrs T's at the grocery! And they think that "pigs in a blanket" are hot dogs rolled in dough!

Call the "pigs" halupki when you're talking to people and you'll really confuse the heck out of 'em...(lol). You need to get back to J-town for a visit, girl. You're due for a Coney Island run! :smile:

floodcitygirl
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Call the "pigs" halupki when you're talking to people and you'll really confuse the heck out of 'em...(lol). You need to get back to J-town for a visit, girl. You're due for a Coney Island run! :smile:[/QUOTE]We do call it halupki in my family...wouldn't even bother saying it here! Coney Island is the best! I try to get there twice when I'm in town. They don't have subs here like back home either. They also have never heard of gobs! I'm gettin hungry just thinkin about it.

You've got to be in or near Johnstown if you know about Coney Island???

SteelerDad
03-28-2006, 02:22 PM
That reminds me......I really miss MTOs!

floodcitygirl
03-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Yes I am. Born and raised. But the majority of Pittsburgh is either Italian or Polish. I happen to be full-blooded Italian. Hence, the Italian meal. Not everybody in Pittsburgh eats kraut and pork. At one point in time, Pittsburgh was third in the country with the most Italian-Americans (after NYC and Chicago).That's interesting. When I was growing up in Johnstown, people from every ethnic background that I knew, had pork & kraut for New Years. Now they would add to it with their own traditional foods as well...Italian - pasta, meats, cheeses. Ukranian...peirogies, halupki. Etc. That's one of the things that I love and miss so much about that area. Such strong ethnic groups - first and second generations in the US. I'm half Croatian with a mix of German and Irish from the other side. My Mom was such a great cook because she learned how to make different dishes from all of her friends...sauce, bread, pierogies, halushki.....

83-Steelers-43
03-28-2006, 04:34 PM
I guess what some consider strange or "interesting", others consider normal. Eating Italian food on Holidays is something I really don't consider strange, nor do I consider people who eat kraut and pork on New Year's strange. Depends on your upbringing and heritage.

It's just odd questioning somebody's birth place based on what they eat during New Year's. lol. I never knew you had to eat kraut and pork on New Year's in order to be considered a "true" Western Pennsylvanian. Then again, I like to consider myself a Pittsburgher more than a Western Pennsylvanian.

floodcitygirl
03-28-2006, 05:07 PM
I guess what some consider strange or "interesting", others consider normal. Eating Italian food on Holidays is something I really don't consider strange, nor do I consider people who eat kraut and pork on New Year's strange. Depends on your upbringing and heritage.

It's just odd questioning somebody's birth place based on what they eat during New Year's. lol. I never knew you had to eat kraut and pork on New Year's in order to be considered a "true" Western Pennsylvanian. Then again, I like to consider myself a Pittsburgher more than a Western Pennsylvanian.Woah! Sounds like somebody needs to chill out. Absolutely no offense was meant toward you or your heritage. I was only speaking of my experience and if you reread my posts it was all complimentary of the entire region, Pittsburgh included. Why would I be any different? I was born and raised there!

BTW as for my"questioning your birth place", it was said in jest. Take a poll...most people eat pork and kraut for New Year's in that region of the country. So what? You can eat whatever you want. And, I never said or meant that anything was strange. I said it was interesting.

I know you can't read voice inflections and tones on a message board but you're definately reading this one wrong. I was interested in enjoyable conversation not controversy from this thread. Not what I expected from a Steeler site. Whew...

83-Steelers-43
03-28-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm fine. Hence the "lol". I find it amusing if anything. I simply responsed to your post. Guess I didn't get the "jest".

I also do not recall stating you were any different. I just happen to consider myself a Pittsburgher more than a Western Pennsylvanian. Whatever, take care.

floodcitygirl
03-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Glad you "get it" now. You take care too.

83-Steelers-43
03-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Glad you "get it" now. You take care too.

LOL, right. I'll make sure I eat kraut and pork this New Year's so I can join the rest of Western Pa...lol. :rolleyes:

SteelerzGirl
03-28-2006, 05:48 PM

It's just odd questioning somebody's birth place based on what they eat during New Year's. lol. I never knew you had to eat kraut and pork on New Year's in order to be considered a "true" Western Pennsylvanian. Then again, I like to consider myself a Pittsburgher more than a Western Pennsylvanian.

Hey you hot Italian Stallion you?(lol). I know floodcitygirl didn?t mean to infer anything derogatory towards you in her post because I know exactly what she?s talking about since we?re from the same area of Pennsylvania.

Cambria County consists of many small communities where everybody pretty much knows everyone else. Floodcitygirl is correct when she said that our area is very rich in ethnic origin and tradition, just as it is in Pittsburgh, but we're on a smaller scale because of the small towns and communities which make up Cambria County. On New Year?s Eve and New Year?s Day, it is tradition to eat pork and sauerkraut in our area regardless of ethnic origin. I don?t think I?ve ever been to a New Year?s Eve party at anyone?s house around here where pork and sauerkraut hasn?t been served. I don?t think I?ve ever been to a club on New Year?s Eve that didn?t offer pork and sauerkraut as part of a meal offered as part of the New Year?s Eve celebration either. That doesn?t mean that other foods may not be included. It?s just what we do around here?(lol). It may sound kind of strange, but that's what we do in Cambria County for New Year's, but it may very well include other foods, as well. :smile:

You gonna invite us to your house for the Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve?(lol)? :wink:

You've got to be in or near Johnstown if you know about Coney Island???

Yep, you?re right! I live in the County Seat of Ebensburg and work in Johnstown. :smile:

:rofl: We?re here talking about good ethnic foods and you want Sheetz MTOs?

floodcitygirl
03-28-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm there if we get invited for Christmas Eve! In honor of this food fest, I'm having pork & kraut for dinner...and it's not even New Year's!

83-Steelers-43
03-28-2006, 05:57 PM
It may sound kind of strange, but that's what we do in Cambria County for New Year's

See, that's my point. I don't consider it strange and nor would I question the region you were born in simply because I'm used to being around families that serve Italian on New Year's. In Pittsburgh, I know alot of people that serve Italian food on New Year's.

floodcitygirl
03-28-2006, 06:01 PM
That's my point too! We eat Italian food for New Years Eve as well. Actually for most Holidays! I love Italians and their food... some of my best friends are Italian...I'm GOING to Italy to visit friends this spring!!!!

83-Steelers-43
03-28-2006, 06:05 PM
lol, I give up. Enjoy Italy, great country. Visit there every Summer. Take care.

floodcitygirl
03-28-2006, 06:19 PM
It's my first time in Italy. I'm looking forward to it. I get the impression though that you're not gonna be inviting us...or should I say me... for Christmas Eve??? :redface:

SteelerzGirl
03-28-2006, 07:04 PM
See, that's my point. I don't consider it strange and nor would I question the region you were born in simply because I'm used to being around families that serve Italian on New Year's. In Pittsburgh, I know alot of people that serve Italian food on New Year's.

Good, I'm glad you feel that way because I don't think you're a big 'ol weirdo for having Italian foods on New Year's, and I would hate like heck to have to drive to Pittsburgh at this time of evening to slap you upside the head...(lol).

Jello anyone? :smile:

floodcitygirl
03-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Well Steeelrzgirl, thanks for trying but I'm afraid neither of us are gonna get that invite! Oh well... Hey, I'm definately gonna shout at ya the next time I'm heading back for a visit. I'd like to get in b4 my trip but it's not looking good at this point. I'll definately be there by summer though. Maybe I can meet ya for that Coney Island run! :bouncy:

SteelerzGirl
03-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Yea, I don?t think he wants our stinky kraut in his house?(lol). I was just teasin? about the invite for Christmas Eve, and he knows that. :wink:

83-Steelers-43 is a cool guy. His family is steeped in their traditions, just like ours are, and it doesn?t matter what our ethnic backgrounds or the areas we are all from, it?s all about family and carrying on the traditions that mean the most during the holidays, no matter who we are. Heck, I don?t care what anyone eats, as long as I get my own food?(lol)!

You?re on for the Coney Island run! Let me know when you?re heading back this way and I?m there! And you better be stickin? around here at Steelers Fever, too. :smile:

HburgXL06
03-28-2006, 09:37 PM

You talkin bout Sheetz? Those are the best. You can get anythin you could ever want. Goin to school in Delaware there's a lot of Philly people who are crazy over Wawa and I don't think it's that great. On facebook (for those who don't know it's a website that links college students together kinda like myspace for college) we have a group called "Sheetz is better than Wawa" because it is. Gotta love it.

BuFu

clevestinks
03-29-2006, 10:58 AM
good stuff!

83-Steelers-43
03-30-2006, 04:48 PM
You talkin bout Sheetz? Those are the best. You can get anythin you could ever want.

Counting horrible heart burn and the squirts for a week straight. But yes, the chili-dogs are damn good at 4 in the morning after a hard night of partying.

SteelerzGirl
03-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Counting horrible heart burn and the squirts for a week straight. But yes, the chili-dogs are damn good at 4 in the morning after a hard night of partying.

Coney Island's chili dogs are better and their sundowners are fantastic...(lol). Of course, when you've been drinking all night, who cares, right? :smile:

83-Steelers-43
03-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Of course, when you've been drinking all night, who cares, right? :smile:

Amen to that. :bouncy:

floodcitygirl
03-30-2006, 05:30 PM
They've got something different here in Cincy. They're called cheese coneys. The chili is brown (has chocolate in it) and they put it on top of a hot dog and then pile shredded cheddar cheese on it - with onions if you want. They do the same thing on top of spaghetti and you can add beans to it. It took me a long time to get up the courage to try it but belive it or not, it grows on ya.

But nothing can beat those Coney Island dogs!

SteelerzGirl
03-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Chili w/chocolate in it? Oh man... What more could a girl want...(lol)? :wink:

floodcitygirl
03-30-2006, 06:00 PM
It's different, but people around here are obsessed with it! There are 3 different large chain restaurants that carry it and then small neighborhood ones that make their own versions.

SteelerzGirl
03-30-2006, 06:10 PM
I'll definitely have to try one then if I come to visit. :smile:

floodcitygirl
03-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Come on! You're welcome!

blackvelvet
03-30-2006, 07:51 PM
you know you've been living in Pittsburgh way too long when:

Guys pick up girls at Primanti's
You can make a long pointless list like this one

Lambertfan
04-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Good point Steelerz Girl........One of the biggest things around Pittsburgh,The Polish People and Polkas.....No real wedding is a real wedding without Polkas and sunday is not sunday without The Sunday Morning Polka Party and kielbasa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember goiny to my wifes home before we were married and having kielbasa Sunday Morning and listening to the Sunday morning Polka Party out of Barnesboro,Pennsylvania!!!

floodcitygirl
04-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks for bringing back the memories! lol I haven't been to a good PA wedding in way too long! I was just talking about that with my family a couple of weeks ago. We went to a wedding here in Cincy - so boring! Everybody seems so worried about being "proper" that they forget to have fun! I've not been to one here that's had a polka.

And they're so short - start at 7 over by 11. The weddings back home used to start in the AM and go until the next AM!

Do they still do the "Bridal dance" sometimes called the "money dance" back there? People here have never heard of that either!

SID
04-08-2006, 10:44 AM
When someone says your Kennywoods open you know to zip up your pants.

Mr. Clean
04-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Do they still do the "Bridal dance" sometimes called the "money dance" back there? People here have never heard of that either!

When my brother and sister in law got married six years ago, they did a big "money dance". I think they pulled in a couple of thousand. Her dad is Polish (so was mine) and there were more family members then than one can shake a stick at.

When I first moved to DC, a co-worker got married. The reception was in some place I don't remember well, but they had a few musicians playing a violin and a harp. They served slices of carrot cake and glasses of champagne. Chintzy.

What kind of wedding reception is it without "dago bread", rigatoni, pigs-in-a-blanket and beer? Not to mention the "money dance"? People in DC are so stuffed-shirt full of themselves.

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Thank God I live in this city. While we have the occasional closeminded, backward redneck normally found outside city limits, it's a great city for the most part. I can't imagine nor would I want to live anywhere else for a long period of time.

floodcitygirl
04-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Sounds like we have the same idea about what a wedding should be! When I told people around here about the "bridal dance" and how much fun it is, someone (no names) said to me, "that's the closest thing to prostitution that I've ever heard of"! Can you believe it??? :dang: That was something that every little girl I knew dreamed about happening at her wedding! It's just a time that each person there has a minute to say a few words to the bride and what a great way to help out a couple!

Well, I did it anyway, right here in Cincy. We had to have a band from back home make a tape of the song to play so that the band here knew how to do it! :rolleyes:

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 12:34 PM
When someone says your Kennywoods open you know to zip up your pants.

Wow, haven't heard that in a long time.

SteelerzGirl
04-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Good point Steelerz Girl........One of the biggest things around Pittsburgh,The Polish People and Polkas.....No real wedding is a real wedding without Polkas and sunday is not sunday without The Sunday Morning Polka Party and kielbasa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember goiny to my wifes home before we were married and having kielbasa Sunday Morning and listening to the Sunday morning Polka Party out of Barnesboro,Pennsylvania!!!

My hometown is about 5 miles from Barnesboro...(lol). My Mom & Dad, and sister, bro-in-law and two kids are still there, while my other sister and her family are in Sewickley and my brother and his wife are in Beaver Falls. You know it's not officially called Barnesboro anymore, right? Barnesboro merged with Spangler, and it's now called Northern Cambria. But you probably know that being from Clymer. :smile: I remember the Sunday Morning Polka Party well from when I was a kid...(lol). I don't think they have it anymore. I'm not even sure that radio station is still around. It was an AM station, I think, right?

Flood City... The Bridal Dance is still alive and well here. A shot of whiskey and a dance w/the bride! Yay! :bouncy:

Mr. Clean
04-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Another good thing about Western Pennsylvania - breakfast at Eat n Park. Their milkshakes are great, too.

83-Steelers-43
04-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Another good thing about living in Pittsburgh, going down to the Strip on a Saturday or Sunday morning/early afternoon, getting a hoagie from Sunseri's, stocking up on meats and cheeses from the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company and then taking a drive over to Bloomfield to have a great dinner at either Lombardozzi's or Del's with buddies..

HburgXL06
04-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Another good thing about Western Pennsylvania - breakfast at Eat n Park. Their milkshakes are great, too.

Yo I'm wit you there bro. EatnPark is awesome. They are only as far east as Harrisburg I believe because no one from east of me knows what they are but they are the bomb. I always have to say that EatnPark is "a better and faster Denny's" to people. My one dining hall reminds me of a Denny's/EatnPark atmosphere and I think I'll have to pay a visit to one next time I'm home. Peace.

BuFu

83-Steelers-43
04-09-2006, 02:25 PM
For a great breakfast (many would agree the best in Pittsbugh), Margie's in McKees Rocks is excellent. It's right down the street from Ricci's (best Italian sausage in Pittsburgh). Kill two birds with one stone.

Mr. Clean
04-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey, what's the name of the dago bread bakery in McKees Rox?
I want to grab a loaf or two to take home.

There was an Italian bread bakery in the Tylerdale area of (Little) Washington, PA, across the street from my greatgrandfather when I was a kid. My dad always bought a couple of loaves to take back to Ohio whenver we came for a visit. It's long gone.

And how about a plug for Shorty's Hot Dogs in Little Washington, too? Nothin' like them.

Eat n Park has expanded into Ohio - they are in Streetsboro and Akron as well as in the counties that border PA. For a regional chain restaraunt, their prices and food are just right.

HburgXL06
04-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Eat n Park has expanded into Ohio - they are in Streetsboro and Akron as well as in the counties that border PA. For a regional chain restaraunt, their prices and food are just right.

Awesome to hear. I remember they became big in my area as I was growin up and went out for a lot of Sunday and family dinners. You got that right...dollar for dollar that stuff is damn good. Peace.

BuFu

SID
04-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Anyone remember the Eat n Park Christmas commercial where a star keeps trying to get to the top of a christmas tree but can't make it. Finally the tree bends down and lets the star climb on top.

83-Steelers-43
04-09-2006, 11:00 PM
That Italian bakery in McKees Rocks is called Manicini's.

Mr. Clean
04-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey, sorry if there was any offense taken. No offense was intended. I'm a Polock, and it doesn't bother me if someone uses the term polock. The term "dago bread" was used by a lot of my family as a kid. I won't say it again.

floodcitygirl
04-10-2006, 05:08 PM
It's interesting how this thread keeps turning back to food! I'm planning on being in Pittsburgh Sept 24. I'll definately have to try out some of these recommendations!

83-Steelers-43
04-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Really? I was always told as a kid that Pollock's lacked commonsense and balls.....:bouncy:

All in good fun, right?

I know the owners of both establishments. Mancini's and Ricci's. Nice people.

BTW....interesting article on Mancini. Seniors brother. Scroll down.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05326/610471.stm

Mr. Clean
04-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Really? I was always told as a kid that Pollock's lacked commonsense and balls.....:bouncy:

Was that necessary?

83-Steelers-43
04-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Was that necessary?

Anymore than the "dego bread" comment? I stated "all in fun"....but whatever.

purplepenguin
04-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all the great memories, guys. I really enjoyed them! I've lived out of the area for a long time and I am so homesick still, it's not even funny. All the posts about the pork and kraut on New Years Day reminded me of something.....the New Years Pretzel. Now i'm not sure if that's a Pittsburgh thing, but no one here in Indiana has ever heard of it so I imagine it may be. One of my favorite places that I miss is Campiti's Pizza in Dormont. Anyone ever been there? (I'm not sure it's even still there). I enjoyed the post about the chipped ham as well. People look at you like you're from mars. I have found out if you ask for shaved ham, it's a little bit closer but still not the same.

83-Steelers-43
04-12-2006, 10:47 AM
One of my favorite places that I miss is Campiti's Pizza in Dormont. Anyone ever been there? (I'm not sure it's even still there).

Eat there at least once every two weeks and yes it's still there (over 60 years now?). Best thin crust pizza in Pittsburgh if you ask me. Love the thin, crispy crust. It's really good when they burn the crust just a little bit. Their Italian hoagies are excellent also.

83-Steelers-43
04-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Also PurplePenguin, next time your in town, if you haven't already, I suggest you try the "Bados Pizza Grill and Ale House" in Mt. Lebanon, they also have excellent hoagies. They put a very good Italian dressing on their hoagies.

307 Beverly Road, Mt. Lebanon 15234

floodcitygirl
04-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the great memories, guys. I really enjoyed them! I've lived out of the area for a long time and I am so homesick still, it's not even funny. All the posts about the pork and kraut on New Years Day reminded me of something.....the New Years Pretzel. Now i'm not sure if that's a Pittsburgh thing, but no one here in Indiana has ever heard of it so I imagine it may be. One of my favorite places that I miss is Campiti's Pizza in Dormont. Anyone ever been there? (I'm not sure it's even still there). I enjoyed the post about the chipped ham as well. People look at you like you're from mars. I have found out if you ask for shaved ham, it's a little bit closer but still not the same. I think that the New Year's Pretzel may be at least a Western PA thing rather than just Pittsburgh. I had never heard of it but I talked to other people from the area that wouldn't have a New Years without it!

Question for you...when was the last time you asked somebody for a gum-band??? :bouncy:

clevestinks
04-12-2006, 12:15 PM
For a great breakfast (many would agree the best in Pittsbugh), Margie's in McKees Rocks is excellent. It's right down the street from Ricci's (best Italian sausage in Pittsburgh). Kill two birds with one stone.
I`m going to try both next month when Im in the area

83-Steelers-43
04-12-2006, 12:17 PM
I`m going to try both next month when Im in the area

Go for it. You won't regret it.

Here is the website for Ricci's if you want to check it out. http://www.riccisausage.net/

Some good articles on the site from the PPG on tailgate food.

HburgXL06
04-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Question for you...when was the last time you asked somebody for a gum-band??? :bouncy:

I know you weren't askin me but my dad still asks me for those all the time. My sis makes fun of him for it but I tell her to shut her mouth. Peace.

BuFu

floodcitygirl
04-12-2006, 02:33 PM
I know you weren't askin me but my dad still asks me for those all the time. My sis makes fun of him for it but I tell her to shut her mouth. Peace.

BuFu That's cool...it was open for everybody. :cool: I still remember when I first moved away and the expressions on people's faces when I would say gum-band. Total confusion!!! I had no idea that they were called anything else! LOL

SteelerzGirl
04-12-2006, 10:29 PM
I think that the New Year's Pretzel may be at least a Western PA thing rather than just Pittsburgh. I had never heard of it but I talked to other people from the area that wouldn't have a New Years without it!

New Year's pretzel? Never heard of it. Not in Cambria County...(lol).

floodcitygirl
04-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Your right, they are from outside Cambria County. But Steelerzgirl, do you say gum-band??? LOL

SteelerzGirl
04-12-2006, 10:55 PM
I say rubberband, but my Dad says gumband...(lol).

floodcitygirl
04-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Gotta love those Cambria County people! :busted:

PisnNapalm
04-12-2006, 11:40 PM
I still say gumban and I haven't lived in Pgh for almost 20 years. :) I love the goofy looks people give me. Slippy is another good one to turn their heads.

floodcitygirl
04-13-2006, 09:15 AM
I still say gumban and I haven't lived in Pgh for almost 20 years. :) I love the goofy looks people give me. Slippy is another good one to turn their heads. I still say slippy too. Doesn't everybody??? LOL

83-Steelers-43
04-13-2006, 09:29 AM
A few Pittsburgh slang words:

The state of Ahia.

Turtle crick.

Ignernt (ignorant)

A spicket. Have had a few strange looks after using that term outside of Pittsburgh.

The term jaggy (goofy, crazy)

The term nebby (curious or nosy)

Zaksame (exact same)

****erin (to bargain with)

Jaggin (to bother or annoy)

Yakkin (talking non-stop)

Buggy (shopping cart)

Bumbershoot (umbrella)

Burm (side of the road)

Clicker or zapper (remote control)

PisnNapalm
04-13-2006, 09:36 AM
jaggers <= My wife has tons of rose bushes. Damn jaggers.

I've lost most of my Pittsburgh accent and lingo, though I can still throw out a zinger from time to time that will spin someone's head.

worsh, nebby, slippy, gumban, jagoff, and "an 'at" have stuck with me. Chipped ham and pop too. :bouncy:

God.... I remember how good Islay's meats were. :dang:

HburgXL06
04-13-2006, 10:36 AM

A spicket. Have had a few strange looks after using that term outside of Pittsburgh.

Clicker or zapper (remote control)

If you guys refer to spicket as like the place to connect the hose on the side of your house than we say that in south central PA also....unless I just learned it from my dad which is possible. He also says clicker from time to time.

BuFu

83-Steelers-43
04-13-2006, 11:16 AM
If you guys refer to spicket as like the place to connect the hose on the side of your house than we say that in south central PA also....unless I just learned it from my dad which is possible. He also says clicker from time to time.

BuFu

Yes and also for me it's the "nozzle" inside your sink. Example: "Turn on the spicket so I can wash the dishes"

HburgXL06
04-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Yes and also for me it's the "nozzle" inside your sink. Example: "Turn on the spicket so I can wash the dishes"

O aiight yea I always just say "sink" for that one. I was tryin to think of south central PA slang and accent things that I have but bein from there I can't think of any (damn). Most I can think of is I know that we say "fer" instead of "for" and accordin to a teacher I had in high school we leave out the verb "to be" in sentences. We say "The paper needs stapled" instead of "The paper needs to be stapled." To me the first sentence makes perfect sense. I don't need "to be" or "not to be." Also we sometimes just trail off on our sentences and the last part just becomes an understood as to what you were talkin bout. I notice I do it a lot at home. The funniest example is my grandmother and how she does it.

Grandmom: "Can you go in the cupboard and get me a.......?"

Me: "A what grandmom?"

Grandmom: "Oh you know, just get me a......."

Me: "Grandmom what do you want?"

Grandmom: (angry voice) "Oh I just wanted a bowl out of the cupboard I didn't need to be sassed at. I just asked a simple question."

By the way. That actually happened. My sis and I have the best times talkin bout those kind of conversations we have wit our grandmom. Peace.

BuFu

floodcitygirl
04-13-2006, 01:59 PM

The state of Ahia.

Turtle crick.

Ignernt (ignorant)

The term jaggy (goofy, crazy)

The term nebby (curious or nosy)

Zaksame (exact same)

****erin (to bargain with)

Jaggin (to bother or annoy)

Yakkin (talking non-stop)

Buggy (shopping cart)

Bumbershoot (umbrella)

Burm (side of the road)

Clicker or zapper (remote control) We used all of those same ones, in Cambria County, growing up with the exceptions of bumbershoot - that one I never heard of! I've lost most of them over the years too but it sure feels like home to hear them again. Thanks!

83-Steelers-43
04-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Grandmom: "Can you go in the cupboard and get me a.......?"

Me: "A what grandmom?"

Grandmom: "Oh you know, just get me a......."

Me: "Grandmom what do you want?"

Grandmom: (angry voice) "Oh I just wanted a bowl out of the cupboard I didn't need to be sassed at. I just asked a simple question."

By the way. That actually happened. My sis and I have the best times talkin bout those kind of conversations we have wit our grandmom. Peace.

BuFu

LOL, driving your grandma up the wall? Nice story.

HburgXL06
04-13-2006, 05:23 PM
LOL, driving your grandma up the wall? Nice story.

We don't try to....get her mad but as you can see it don't take much sometimes.

BuFu

83-Steelers-43
04-13-2006, 05:53 PM
We don't try to....get her mad but as you can see it don't take much sometimes.

BuFu

Trust me, I know. Try having a full-blooded Italian grandma. lol.

blackvelvet
04-13-2006, 05:54 PM
jaggers <= My wife has tons of rose bushes. Damn jaggers.

I've lost most of my Pittsburgh accent and lingo, though I can still throw out a zinger from time to time that will spin someone's head.

worsh, nebby, slippy, gumban, jagoff, and "an 'at" have stuck with me. Chipped ham and pop too. :bouncy:

God.... I remember how good Islay's meats were. :dang:

You know what I love? New York probably gets a lot of visitors from all over the world. Most the waiters know "May I have a soda" in at least five languages, but they don't know what the heck you're saying when someone from Western PA says, "May I have a pop?" :dang:

floodcitygirl
04-13-2006, 07:04 PM
You know what I love? New York probably gets a lot of visitors from all over the world. Most the waiters know "May I have a soda" in at least five languages, but they don't know what the heck you're saying when someone from Western PA says, "May I have a pop?" :dang: Uh oh, here I go again...doesn't everybody say pop??? I guess either people have pity on me or I'm not as observant as I thought!!! LOL

PisnNapalm
04-13-2006, 08:14 PM
My freshmen year of college I had a roommate from Philly. They of course say "soda". By the end of the 3rd quarter I had him saying pop. :)

SteelerzGirl
04-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Gotta love those Cambria County people! :busted:

Hell yeah! LOL :wink:

HburgXL06
04-13-2006, 10:30 PM
My freshmen year of college I had a roommate from Philly. They of course say "soda". By the end of the 3rd quarter I had him saying pop. :)

Did he get you to say "wooder?" I know a lot of people in Philly and spent a lot of time there and I have a psuedo Philly accent.

BuFu

Mr. Clean
04-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Uh oh, here I go again...doesn't everybody say pop??? I guess either people have pity on me or I'm not as observant as I thought!!! LOL

The Eastern Seaboard calls it "soda". That's all I heard when I worked in DC. Once you head a little West and enter the mountians, people talk normal and say "pop". In Western Maryland, it's "pop".

floodcitygirl
04-14-2006, 12:56 AM
My kind of folks! :cool:

MasterOfPuppets
04-14-2006, 03:08 AM
The Eastern Seaboard calls it "soda". That's all I heard when I worked in DC. Once you head a little West and enter the mountians, people talk normal and say "pop". In Western Maryland, it's "pop".
actually,we don't.we go with soda. the first time i heard the word "pop",was when i was a kid,and my cousins were visiting from richmond,va. one of em said "i'm gonna walk up to the store and get a pop"......i said...what the hell is a pop???

clevestinks
04-14-2006, 09:42 AM
I`m getting home sick for the Burgh!!!!

SteelerzGirl
04-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I`m getting home sick for the Burgh!!!!

Well hurry up and get back to Pennsylvania so we can see your hot self...(lol). :smile:

Mr. Clean
04-14-2006, 05:28 PM
actually,we don't.we go with soda. the first time i heard the word "pop",was when i was a kid,and my cousins were visiting from richmond,va. one of em said "i'm gonna walk up to the store and get a pop"......i said...what the hell is a pop???

Well, you live there and I don't so I stand corrected. When passing through Cumberland & LaVale, if I wanted to buy a pop, I would call it that and people seemed to know what I meant.

Once you get to Breezewood - if one is leaving DC by that route - they know what pop is.

One of the best places to eat along the Turnpike is right off the Bedford exit, Ed's Steak House. The food is terrific and not too expensive.

MasterOfPuppets
04-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Well, you live there and I don't so I stand corrected. When passing through Cumberland & LaVale, if I wanted to buy a pop, I would call it that and people seemed to know what I meant.

Once you get to Breezewood - if one is leaving DC by that route - they know what pop is.

One of the best places to eat along the Turnpike is right off the Bedford exit, Ed's Steak House. The food is terrific and not too expensive.
have you ever tried the park and dine in hanc0ck???

Stlrs4Life
04-16-2006, 11:20 PM
You know you've been in Pittsburgh way too long when....

You can remember shopping at Joseph Horne Co. and Gimbels (sadly soon to add "Kaufmann's" to this list).
You can remember taking the streetcar "dahntahn".
You can remember going to see a winning Pirates team.

One thing that is terribly annoying about this area is the incredible amount of overweight cigarette smokers. A lot of my extended family is exactly like this. I work for a health insurance company (would like to leave). People complain about the cost of health insurance. Well, it wouldn't cost so damn much if people ate better, drank less and didn't smoke.

rant over

It would also be alot cheaper if the Doctors and Health insurance companies weren't in cohoots together either.

Mr. Clean
04-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Uh, they are not. Wanna know why? My employer is paying out a multimillion dollar settlement brought about by attorneys representing doctors claiming to be underpaid over a period of many years. These reimbursements were negotiated for by the doctors but they wanted more money. Well, they are getting it.

Doctors's costs go up. The cost of prescription drugs goes up. Hospitals want more money. Medical equipment producers and suppliers want higher prices. Yet, most people only want to blame the insurance company for it all.

ARKIESTEEL
04-19-2006, 03:39 PM
They call it a pop here some most say coke for whatever comes in a can that aint a beer.
We dont say soda unless you realy just want soda. All seems funny to me.

blackvelvet
04-20-2006, 08:05 AM
They call it a pop here some most say coke for whatever comes in a can that aint a beer.
We dont say soda unless you realy just want soda. All seems funny to me.

Yeah, soda's for losers. No offense to the Steeler fans here who've never heard of it.

clevestinks
04-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Well hurry up and get back to Pennsylvania so we can see your hot self...(lol). :smile:
No more than four years and I`ll be moving back i hope!

bigbensgirl7
04-22-2006, 07:35 AM
Uh, they are not. Wanna know why? My employer is paying out a multimillion dollar settlement brought about by attorneys representing doctors claiming to be underpaid over a period of many years. These reimbursements were negotiated for by the doctors but they wanted more money. Well, they are getting it.

Doctors's costs go up. The cost of prescription drugs goes up. Hospitals want more money. Medical equipment producers and suppliers want higher prices. Yet, most people only want to blame the insurance company for it all.
There are a lot of problem with the system, but don't sit here and just blame the doctors. Because of frivolous lawsiuts and people looking for someone to blame for a tradgedy...the doctors have to pay an ungodly amount in Med Mal Insurance, so they need the money from their services to pay for it. Belive it or not, there are a lot of doctors that will have to retire if their insurance goes up anymore because it won't be worth working.
There are companies like Anthem that have extremely under paid the doctors and now their customers are paying for it because no doctor or hospitol wants to be involved with them knowing that they won't get a fair payment.

Take it for what you want, but it all stems back to the lawsuits that really aren't the doctors fault, someone just wants a payday and/or someone to blame.

blackvelvet
05-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Thank God I live in this city. While we have the occasional closeminded, backward redneck normally found outside city limits, it's a great city for the most part. I can't imagine nor would I want to live anywhere else for a long period of time.

Are you referring to Mars people?

Lyn
05-09-2006, 01:25 AM
I have never lived in Pittsburgh and I am not sure I would. I would live in Cranberry a nice suburb.

83-Steelers-43
05-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Are you referring to Mars people?

I'm not going to name certain areas because I don't want to offend anybody. But like all cities, you have your "Deliverance" rejects in certain "suburbs" of Pittsburgh.

blackvelvet
05-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Ah, that's okay. I really could care less.

You know you've been living in pittsburgh when...

You hear someone famous from Big Ben to Faith Hill say "I'm Feelin' Froggy" and reguard it as normal.

blackngoldbaby
06-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Wait........you mean there's people on this earth that don't eat pork and kraut on New Year's? Are you kiddin me? This is a joke right? My entire life every New Year's Day we would always eat that I've never known anythin different....this is a total shock to me. This is a sign that the world is comin to an end.

BuFu
i know i cant belive it eather i live in maryland and my family always eats kraut n pork.

blackngoldbaby
06-26-2006, 01:38 PM
i live in western Maryland n i always say pop.:bouncy:

blackvelvet
06-27-2006, 09:43 AM
You do your grocery shopping at the Giant Eagle or at Foodland (my friend and i were recently ranting about foodland and our out of state friend went "wait, is it really called foodland, or is just that your name for it?")

you use a buggy (and it's not the Amish kind)

you've ran the sweeper

purplepenguin
06-27-2006, 03:37 PM
You do your grocery shopping at the Giant Eagle or at Foodland (my friend and i were recently ranting about foodland and our out of state friend went "wait, is it really called foodland, or is just that your name for it?")

you use a buggy (and it's not the Amish kind)

you've ran the sweeper

My hubby and I are always having the sweeper/vacuum debate. I'm glad I'm not alone!!!

ARKIESTEEL
06-27-2006, 03:41 PM
My hubby and I are always having the sweeper/vacuum debate. I'm glad I'm not alone!!!

At my house the sweeper/vacum is known as Nancy:bouncy:

tony hipchest
06-28-2006, 10:26 AM
:eye: :eye: (thinking of my dad)- when you take your little kid to see "Flashdance" in the theater just cause its a pittsburgh movie. :mg: :lust:

Andy Young
08-24-2006, 04:32 PM
You know who the Povertyneck Hillbillies are
You can eat a sandwich with coleslaw and french fries on it
You refuse to use any other ketchup besides Heinz
You say Pop instead of soda
You refuse to go in any bar/home/building that has Browns crap hanging in it
You grow a mustache

steelersblowballs
09-10-2006, 01:07 PM
you know you are from Pittsturd if your gay (steelers fans) and you like shitty baseball!!!!!

BlackNGold203
09-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Banned the useless troll

Paul Pyrch
10-05-2006, 11:34 AM
:tt02:

You know several people who have hit a deer more than once!

You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again!

You see people wearing camouflage at social events including weddings!

Driving is better in th winter because the potholes are filled with snow!

You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit!

Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his NEW FORD F150!

You go out to a fish fry every Friday and bingo every Wednesday!

Your town has an equal number of bars and churches!

"Iron Paul":cheers:

floodcitygirl
10-05-2006, 02:01 PM

You know several people who have hit a deer more than once!

You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again!

You see people wearing camouflage at social events including weddings!

Driving is better in th winter because the potholes are filled with snow!

You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit!

Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his NEW FORD F150!

You go out to a fish fry every Friday and bingo every Wednesday!

Your town has an equal number of bars and churches!

"Iron Paul":cheers:Excellent! :sofunny:

Paul Pyrch
10-05-2006, 03:23 PM

Here are a few more:

You refer to bologna as "jumbo"

Your idea of barbecue is: chipped ham in barbecue sauce or ketchup!

You know that "ham salad" is made with "jumbo"!

Your gourmet meal consists of: Kielbassi, sauerkraut, pieroggi and holupki ( stuffed cabbage) and an Iron City!!!

"Iron Paul" :tt02: :cheers:

memphissteelergirl
10-05-2006, 04:01 PM

Oh...how sad!! :shake02:
I suggest a trip down South, bro'....you need in "schooled" in the art of good 'cue!

Stillers#1
10-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Oh...how sad!!
I suggest a trip down South, bro'....you need in "schooled" in the art of good 'cue!

This is not typical. I certainly do not consider chipped ham to be anything but dog food. I'm more of a chipped turkey kind of guy;). Although, I have been to some BANGIN rib joints in the south.

dlnewell
10-24-2006, 09:54 AM
I've been away from the 'burgh for about 17 years serving in Air Force. Once while going through the line at the "chow hall" they happened to have mashed potatoes and saurkraut for lunch. I asked the lady to place the saurkraut over the mashed potatoes as you would with gravy and got the weirdest look, she would not do it. I explained it's how it's done from where Im from.

dsk1975
10-30-2006, 01:33 PM
You know what the word Confluence means.
You say crick instead of creek.
You say mum instead of mom.
You enjoy eating Uncle Charlies Sausage. LOL :sofunny:

sman23
10-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Man that's perfect.

I say crick. I say mum. And I know what a confluence is. I tell my kids to redd up thier rooms. I use the sweeper. I have loved reading this thread.

I miss Pa. Tired of living in Ohio. They don't have the great stuff we have in Pa.

Go Steelers!!!

steelcurtain09
11-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Your gourmet meal consists of: Kielbassi, sauerkraut, pieroggi and holupki ( stuffed cabbage) and an Iron City!!!
mmmmmmm
the perfect meal
(except the iron city for another 5 1/2 years)
I've been away from the 'burgh for about 17 years serving in Air Force. Once while going through the line at the "chow hall" they happened to have mashed potatoes and saurkraut for lunch. I asked the lady to place the saurkraut over the mashed potatoes as you would with gravy and got the weirdest look, she would not do it. I explained it's how it's done from where Im from.
i havent done tht exact thing but ive done similar things and people have said ugh tht looks disgusting
but if i had a chance i could get all my friends to eat Pittsburgh food and they would likeit

Is it weird tht bout half these apply to me even though I have never lived in Pittsburgh?
it may be my parents passin their culture along to me

SteelersFanLover104
11-02-2006, 05:50 PM
:helmet:
I LOVE THE STEELERS!!!! YOUR #1 FOUR LIFE!!! YOUR MY ONE AND ONLY #1 TEAM . I WILL ALWAYS WATCH YOU GUYS PLAY. LET'S GO STEELERS LET'S GO!!!!

ROCK ON STEELERS!!!!

STEELERSFANLOVER104

blackvelvet
11-05-2006, 01:44 PM

Here are a few more:

You refer to bologna as "jumbo"

You know that "ham salad" is made with "jumbo"!

"Iron Paul" :tt02: :cheers:

I think "jumbo" is dying. I say jumbo, because that's how i heard it all my life. But the other day in school, at lunch time, I say "I packed a jumbo sandwich." and my friends all looked at me weirdly. :dang: :crying01: :dang:

polamalufan43
11-05-2006, 02:18 PM
You you live in Pittsburgh when....

You see a sign at the local gas station that reads

2:16pm
58degrees
Roethlisberger's Health Status: In mortal Danger

You know you live in Pittsburgh when....

Anytime that you even mention the word "Browns" you get a perogie chucked at you

You know you live in Pittsburgh when....

You don't lose your job when you skip it to attend the Steelers victory parade

....when a Terible Towel is an acceptable Christmas decoration

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

polamalufan43
11-05-2006, 02:25 PM
....When your bridal/ baby shower gifts consist of
a. Steelers bibs
b. Steelers binky
c. Toddler size Troy Polamalu wig and jerseys
d. Steeler themed his and her towels

polamalufan43
11-06-2006, 09:16 PM
When you've been to the Regatta more than once

When you shop for grocceries at the Strip every week

When you're stuck out of town for the 4th of July and are majorly dissapointed by the fireworks display

I went to North Carolina and alot of people down there said I had an accent.

And I though they were the ones with the accent, sheesh

blackvelvet
11-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I went to North Carolina and alot of people down there said I had an accent.

And I though they were the ones with the accent, sheesh

My chem class always makes jokes about Pittsburgh accents, since we know we have them. (except for one kid, he moved from North Carolina two years ago, but he doesn't have an accent). Anyway, we got in a discussion about seeing pretty colors (don't ask), and my chem teacher goes (jokingly) "Yep, to look at them pretty kellers!" in a too put-on Pittsburgh accent. The NC guy goes, "And I'm the hick from the South?"

You know you're from pittsburgh when...

Your English class decided that football is the meaning of life

skinart82
11-19-2006, 01:19 AM
All this talk makes me miss home. And for those from Johnstown....Em's Subs. nobody makes subs like that.

oh and it is a sweeper!

and when you use the phrase "These One's" i.e. I just bought these ones today.

When you know what Russian Orthodox is.

You know what Red Pop is.

and Boscov's

You know your from Johnstown when you can watch Slapshot and see your old house in the movie.

SteelCityMan786
11-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Can't think of one for Pittsburgh

but you know your from Hollidaysburg when you still go to a football game even though you are injured.

Paul Pyrch
11-19-2006, 07:56 PM
:smile: Are you Russian Orthodox? Just wondering because I am.

SteelCityMan786
11-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Nope, Roman Christain.

polamalufan43
11-20-2006, 03:29 PM
...when you have an entire thread devoted to how much the bengals suck... which if that's a sign that we have lived in the 'burgh.... then let us all live in the 'burgh!

SteelCityMan786
11-20-2006, 03:47 PM
...when you have an entire thread devoted to how much the bengals suck... which if that's a sign that we have lived in the 'burgh.... then let us all live in the 'burgh!

Isn't that the truth

skinart82
11-20-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm Roman Catholic, but my Dad is Russian Orthodox.

blackvelvet
11-23-2006, 07:40 PM
This one's for all the bandies and guardies out there:

You see a marching band perform the Pittsburgh Polka, and they become your favorite marching band (if you're not already on that marching band that is)

blackvelvet
11-26-2006, 03:23 PM
This one's for all the bandies and guardies out there:

You see a marching band perform the Pittsburgh Polka, and they become your favorite marching band (if you're not already on that marching band that is)

And before going into competition, you have the entire band go "Who dey? We dey! Who dey? We dey!" and over and over.

Stillers43
11-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Watch out for the jagger bush and don't fall in the crick! I know live in the $hithole called the mistake by the lake. I miss the food the most from Pitt and New Castle, PA (my hometown). I miss Coney Island dogs and lamb samwiches. I also miss Permanti's, O fries, perogies, and Lube wings.

polamalufan43
11-27-2006, 10:38 AM
MMMMMMMMMMM you are making me hungry. I love all of those foods.
You know you've been living in Pittsburgh way too long when...
...a Steeler gets hurt, everyone goes on code red.

SteelCityMan786
11-27-2006, 10:52 AM
MMMMMMMMMMM you are making me hungry. I love all of those foods.
You know you've been living in Pittsburgh way too long when...
...a Steeler gets hurt, everyone goes on code red.

Isn't that the truth.

steelerbackr4life
11-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Only 4 Days until I will be dining on this!:thumbsup:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=258&d=1154523897

Buzz05
11-27-2006, 02:09 PM
You know your from Johnstown when you can watch Slapshot and see your old house in the movie.

I love that movie! Especially since I grew up in the Jtown area.

Im right in the middle of Jtown and Altoona. God I miss Pa and the culture. I would kill for a Primanti's sub when I can go to Pitt anytime. Sheetz is like a God send everytime I am home and I love how every Sunday our priest would say a prayer for a Steelers win.

polamalufan43
11-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Only 4 Days until I will be dining on this!:thumbsup:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=258&d=1154523897

Nice, very nice:thumbsup:
Only Pittsburgh natives can appriciate food like that

P.S. You know that you have lived in Pittsburgh way too long when....
... you pass a funeral home and you see everyone decked out in steelers gear to mourn the loss of the regular season.

Stillers43
11-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Sheetz is pretty good too. They are just building one near where I live in Cleveland. I am excited for chili dogs and nachos! Brings back memories of drunkin college nights at SRU!

Buzz05
11-28-2006, 09:15 AM
IMO get the nachos grande or the buffalo chicken sub at Sheetz. Roast Beef subs are pretty good too

Hoodlums
11-28-2006, 10:58 AM
One thing that is terribly annoying about this area is the incredible amount of overweight cigarette smokers. A lot of my extended family is exactly like this. I work for a health insurance company (would like to leave). People complain about the cost of health insurance. Well, it wouldn't cost so damn much if people ate better, drank less and didn't smoke

Yes it would !

Hilliary Care 2008 (Right!)

Buzz05
11-28-2006, 11:11 AM
One thing that is terribly annoying about this area is the incredible amount of overweight cigarette smokers. A lot of my extended family is exactly like this. I work for a health insurance company (would like to leave). People complain about the cost of health insurance. Well, it wouldn't cost so damn much if people ate better, drank less and didn't smoke

No Offense buddy but this is my home town area..every place has its faults I dont care if you live in NYC or LA of Paris. If ya dont like it then dont come back. And where are you from that is SOOOO wonderful anyway?

memphissteelergirl
11-28-2006, 03:19 PM

Yes it would !

Hilliary Care 2008 (Right!)

D*** Who peed in your organic corn flakes?? And where have YOU been? Everything you are talking about not just in Western PA-it's a nationwide problem!

And for the record...I don't smoke, don't drink alcohol except the occasional glass of wine, and while my eating habits could stand improvement, I don't eat to the point of gluttony either.

Anything else you care to rant about, sport?

polamalufan43
11-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Ok,
I know smoking isn't good, but that isn't a reason to start knocking down someone or a city. Don't take this offensively, but if you feel like knocking here, than take it somewhere else.

Buzz05
11-28-2006, 07:34 PM
If its one thing I have learned growing up in Central Pa is that we are all very proud, blue collar people. From the Steal mills of Johnstown to the Rail Roads of Altoona. To the coal mines all over the area. All of us probably have a relative of atleast know someone who has had one of the professions while growing up. For someone to come in and say something negative about the area or the people in its not just insulting them, its insulting all of us. If you dont like us and how we are then tough. I know we are not perfect but we love our families, go to church, and work our butts off to provide for our families. Im damn proud of where I came from the and the ethics and morals I got from the area. If you dont like us then by all means we wont miss you if you dont come back.

Sorry to everyone else. This guy struck a nerve

steelerbackr4life
11-28-2006, 09:08 PM
:iagree: What a smack you must be! Everyone is entitled to an opinion but only a real ja would come onto a site, pick a thread whose title invites people from the area to share experiences with each other and then criticize those people!
I am fortunate to have relatives in NYC and western PA. I understand there are differences between the 2 but love both of them for who they are. I now live in N.J. (yuppyville) and while I enjoy the hustle and bustle that comes with living here. I truly love the ways and simplicity of the Burgh and surrounding areas. The people there have something you will never have CLASS ! I will pray for your sorry azz while I am in Pittsburgh this weekend enjoying all the beautifull people there!

skinart82
11-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Pittsburgh and Western, PA isn't just some place on a map; it's a way of life! My Grandparents worked in the steel mills and my Dad and Uncles at the mines (and a bartender or two) and my mother worked at the church, they went through the Flood of 77 and lost everything, they went through the mills closing and the money leaving. Western PA is like no other place in the world. No matter were you move it stays with you. And when you meet somebody for the first time you immediately tell them...I'm from Western PA, I love the Steelers, the Pirates and the Penguins, I'm a hard worker and honest as can be, I love good food a good drink and I'm as tough as they come, you'll never meet anybody like me unless you go to my hometown! My parents and I moved to a different town, a bigger town, a cleaner town and a town that has more opportunity, but if I wouldn't have married a southern girl who hates the cold I'd be back in a heart beat! I love this place and one day I WILL return Home to live.

So to all those that still live in the greatest place on earth...I'm jealous of you bastards and hope to meet many of you!

Paul Pyrch
11-29-2006, 12:03 AM
:thumbsup: You are absolutely right on and could be talking about my own Dad and Uncle. I grew up in Ambridge, PA and married a girl from my home town. We live in the South due to the fact that I retired here after 23 yrs in the Navy. You really painted an accurate picture of the folks, etc. of Western PA. We have a lot of displaced Western Pennsylvanians living here and a couple of Steeler Bars where we watch the games. :cheers:

floodcitygirl
11-29-2006, 12:13 PM
WOW! I just found this thread again and can't believe all you folks from Johnstown! I totally agree with you about the people from Western PA....some of the warmest, kindest, hard working and fun loving people I've ever met.

I don't know if you've been back to Johnstown lately, but it is rather sad to see how depressed the area has become. So many people have left with the lack of job opportunities. It's still great to be back home though....amazing food and fun. Hey...how about Coney Island hotdogs???? :thumbsup:

Buzz05
11-29-2006, 12:19 PM
WOW! I just found this thread again and can't believe all you folks from Johnstown! I totally agree with you about the people from Western PA....some of the warmest, kindest, hard working and fun loving people I've ever met.

I don't know if you've been back to Johnstown lately, but it is rather sad to see how depressed the area has become. So many people have left with the lack of job opportunities. It's still great to be back home though....amazing food and fun. Hey...how about Coney Island hotdogs???? :thumbsup:

Yeah it is very depressing. It is still nice to visit though. I dont go into J-town much because a lot of my friends are in Altoona...That and I dont feel like running into ex gf's haha. Coney Island was Sh!t!! Even though the old women making the hotdogs were a little on the odd side. A Sundowner was a heart attack on a bun but man was it good. My mom told me that last year one of the old women had passed away that worked there and at her funeral they gave her a 21 bun salute :sofunny:

skinart82
11-29-2006, 12:31 PM
I go back to visit family every now and again, but not as much as I used to. I grew up in Conemaugh inside Johnstown. Man you wanna talk about sad, it sucks to see it go from a lively little place to what it is now. But maybe it'll bounce back one day!

Buzz05
11-29-2006, 12:42 PM
I have heard the Murtha has brought in a lot of Dept of Defense jobs in to Jtown in hopes of boosting the region back to where it was.

floodcitygirl
11-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah it is very depressing. It is still nice to visit though. I dont go into J-town much because a lot of my friends are in Altoona...That and I dont feel like running into ex gf's haha. Coney Island was Sh!t!! Even though the old women making the hotdogs were a little on the odd side. A Sundowner was a heart attack on a bun but man was it good. My mom told me that last year one of the old women had passed away that worked there and at her funeral they gave her a 21 bun salute :sofunny:The original owner died but it is still run by her son and Grandson. They guard that chilli recipe with their lives! :sofunny:

Paul Pyrch
11-29-2006, 01:01 PM
I do know Conemaugh and once again, agree with you. The same can be said about my home-town, Ambridge....once upon a time, it was a busy, thriving town. But once the steel mills closed, that marked the end of Ambridge. Sad, indeed. Empty store fronts. Grass growing in the middle of the street, etc. :dang: I go back to visit family every now and again, but not as much as I used to. I grew up in Conemaugh inside Johnstown. Man you wanna talk about sad, it sucks to see it go from a lively little place to what it is now. But maybe it'll bounce back one day!

floodcitygirl
11-29-2006, 01:03 PM
I go back to visit family every now and again, but not as much as I used to. I grew up in Conemaugh inside Johnstown. Man you wanna talk about sad, it sucks to see it go from a lively little place to what it is now. But maybe it'll bounce back one day!My Uncle and family lived in Conemaugh. He passed years ago so I haven't been there in a long time. I lived in Geistown. I try to get back 1-2 times a year...still have family there.

skinart82
11-30-2006, 04:12 PM
I remember Geistown! I still think downtown Johnstown is so cool. The little record shop is the shit. We used to go back every Thanksgiving, but after my Grandfather died we just kinda stopped going as often.

Buzz05
12-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Geistown was pretty cool. I still go back every year for Thunder in the Valley. The big motorcyvle ralley. I used to date a girl from Westmost so I spent a lot of time in the area.

skinart82
12-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Oh shit we used to go to Thunder in the Valley all the time.

floodcitygirl
12-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Ok. So anyone who used to get their subs from Em's??? :yummy:

skinart82
12-03-2006, 12:12 PM
You're talking about the greatest sub shop ever. the 22" torpedo and whatever you want on it! My mouth is watering

floodcitygirl
12-03-2006, 11:14 PM
You're talking about the greatest sub shop ever. the 22" torpedo and whatever you want on it! My mouth is wateringLOL...I knew somebody would agree!!!

Buzz05
12-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Thunder in the Valley is so much fun, its like Mardi Gras Jtown style. I would kill for an Em's sub right now. Ya never know much you miss the area until you are gone for a few years haha

floodcitygirl
12-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Hmmm....I wonder if Em's express delivers??? LOL

polamalufan43
12-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Hmmm....I wonder if Em's express delivers??? LOL

I wish they did. I think I had one when I was younger. Hang on, I have a strange craving for Pepi's and Em's. I'll be right back, lol. We have listed great reason's why to love Pittsburgh, and I still don't get why some people say that Pittsburgh sucks.

Buzz05
12-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Because people dont know any better. Down here is Baltimore all people know are apt. complexes and crappy town house neighborhoods. They dont take any pride on where they are from. If you look at areas like Pittsburgh and the rest of central Pa, and I hate to say it but Philly, people take pride in what area they are from. People that grow up in these little cardboard cut out communities dont know what its like to put your lively hood into not only your home but your area to make it better for everyone, not just yourself.