PDA

View Full Version : AFCN Champ: Steelers need to win out

NYC_Steeler
11-12-2010, 05:07 AM
With the defeat of the Ravens by the Falcons (THANK YOU!), the Steelers will need to win out if they want to win the AFCN as the Ravens have only 2 tough games left - the Steelers and Saints. The rest are against average to downright stinker teams. Despite what the pundits (and Raheem Morris) say, I don't think TB is a great team - they've played average to mediocre teams, and as for Houston - they don't have a pass defense. We on the other hand, have the Pats, Ravens, and finish up with the Browns in Cleveland. Like I said, we can't afford to lose another game. We have sole possession of the AFCN, let's not lose it. 14-2 (and of course, winning SBXLV) would be a great way to finish up what has been a challenging season.

steelerchad
11-12-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't think we need to win out. The Ravens will drop at least 1 more game other than the Steelers game. I think they lose 2 more games and finish 11-5. I also think the Steelers will lose 2 more games and finish 12-4 and win the North.

NYC_Steeler
11-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I don't think we need to win out. The Ravens will drop at least 1 more game other than the Steelers game. I think they lose 2 more games and finish 11-5. I also think the Steelers will lose 2 more games and finish 12-4 and win the North.

I hope you're right about the Ravens and wrong about the Steelers. ;-)

MACH1
11-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Meh, we were 6-2 last year and we all know how that turned out. Lots of injuries last year, lots of injuries so far this year. So we'll see how it shakes out.

bigchuck
11-12-2010, 12:25 PM
we dont need to win out, we just need to beat the ravens on the road, and lets worry about beating the tom bradys sunday night

Steel_Bus_24
11-12-2010, 12:35 PM
I hope the coaching staff is reminding them about what happened last year and of all the haters that picked us to barely break even this year

Merchant
11-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Let's just focus on one game at a time.. Talks of 14-2 are a tad premature :P

SteelKnight
11-12-2010, 01:07 PM

I agree with this. I see us finishing 12 and 4. I think the most important game will be the Ravens game. If we can win that and neutralize the head-head tiebreaker, we will be in better shape. If we finish in a tie, we win because Ravens also lost to the Bengals. We need to go 5-1 in the division then simply match wins and loses with no sweat.

So in summary, we need to win out the 3 division games we have left to claim the north (most likely).

We have some easy games too...Raiders, Bills, Panthers, ...and yes...Browns are easy...lol

lionslicer
11-12-2010, 01:35 PM
14-2 obviously automatically secures a win in pretty much any division, but 12-4 will be enough to win, especially with the Ravens who seem to be falling apart late in the season. But it's a must win in Baltimore, that game might be the deciding factor of which team makes it into the playoffs, we really don't know how the Steelers record will look like in 3 weeks, even with games against the Raiders and Bills.

StainlessStill
11-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Lots of games to be played. Honestly, both teams, whichever it may be, could lose atleast 2 more. I don't think we need to win out to win the North. I think winning IN BALTIMORE is must-win situation only for this reason:

If we lose to Balt, then they straight out win the head to head tie-breaker. If we beat Balty in Balty, then the series is tied one-one and that goes to division record (yet to be determined.) The thing is, if we go onto beat New England Sunday night, then that third option goes to Conference record and then to strength of schedule.

If we beat Balty later on in the year and if we beat N.E then that will help out the Conference and strength of schedule when talking tiebreakers.

The Ravens lost to the Patriots, Bengals AND Falcons, teams that we all beat head to head (if we beat N.E) so that could have a major say in the weeks to come. It's too early to get into it now but even though this week against N.E isn't as major as a must-win than Balty will be, but it has its significance if we do indeed drop some.

steelerohio
11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Just win the games...

but I am thinking that the next time Balt meat Cleveland, Cleveland is going to whup 'em...

Steelerfreak58
11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
With as ugly as our offense has been the last two games I am just hoping for a playoff birth.

OX1947
11-12-2010, 06:34 PM
This season by far, is one of the most unsatisfying seasons in my NFL watching lifetime. From the Big Ben crap, to the injuries to that piece of crap commissioner. I watch games now and the only consistency in my thought is "how many (bleep) commercials am I going to watch in between plays", and "are they going to flag our players right before they make a tackle". Seriously, those are the two things that go through my head for 3+ hours.

Steelers are 6-2, tied for the best record in the league and I have no feeling of it. Nothing. And it sucks.

Fire Arians
11-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I hope you're right about the Ravens and wrong about the Steelers. ;-)

whats wrong about going 12-4? i'll take a 12-4 rec any year man, that's usually good enough to win the division and #1 seed in most years

lionslicer
11-12-2010, 07:29 PM
whats wrong about going 12-4? i'll take a 12-4 rec any year man, that's usually good enough to win the division and #1 seed in most years

I'm sure he'd rather the Steelers go 14-2 and the ravens go 6-10... Because thats just the best case scenerio.

Fire Arians
11-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm sure he'd rather the Steelers go 14-2 and the ravens go 6-10... Because thats just the best case scenerio.

well yeah i'd rather see that but let's be real now, for sure balt aint going 6-10 lol.

lionslicer
11-12-2010, 07:52 PM
well yeah i'd rather see that but let's be real now, for sure balt aint going 6-10 lol.

Hey... Steelers went 7-9 one year after starting 7-2... anything is possible.

Fire Arians
11-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Hey... Steelers went 7-9 one year after starting 7-2... anything is possible.

well, if the ravens go 6-10 i'll be happy lol.

BlockMonsta
11-12-2010, 10:45 PM
I could see us falling to the Raiders.

sharkweek
11-13-2010, 02:40 AM
lol, come on now, did you even think this through?

Remaining teams each team will play:

Ravens:
@Carolina
Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh
@Houston
New Orleans
@Cleveland
Cincinnati

Steelers:
New England
Oakland
@Buffalo
@Baltimore
Cincinnati
New York (Jets)
Carolina
@Clevland

Similar Opponents Erased:

Ravens:
Tampa Bay
@Houston
New Orleans

Steelers:
New England
Oakland
@Buffalo
New York (Jets)

Spotting us a loss to New England just to give us identical records:

Ravens:
Tampa Bay
@Houston
New Orleans

Steelers:
Oakland
@Buffalo
New York (Jets)

Sorry, but I would much rather play those three games than what the Ravens face.

The Bengals and Browns aren't going to lie down for either us or the Ravens.

MikeHaullace
11-13-2010, 02:56 AM
11-5 is going to take this division.

(Colt McCoy is making the AFC North suddenly look interesting. Can he keep it up?)

There's a lot of football between 6-2 and 11-5.

Our O-Line is running out of make-shift possibilities, but Ben can make a play on any given down and has plenty of options on the field. Any given Sunday, when it comes down to it, Bruce Arians be damned.

I think Pittsburgh can afford 3 more losses so long as they beat Baltimore.

F^@k Roger Goodell.

Brett Favre. :tt03:

sharkweek
11-13-2010, 03:02 AM
I hate how so much attention is being given to Colt McCoy when all he's done thus far is not f**k up.

Big whoop. The Browns are getting interesting because of an opportunistic defense and Peyton Hillis. Colt McCoy wasn't playing when the Browns almost beat the Ravens, and he was playing when the Browns got crushed by us.

The difference in our game was our offense didn't provide the Browns the opportunities and we shut down the Browns running game.

MikeHaullace
11-13-2010, 03:05 AM
I hate how so much attention is being given to Colt McCoy when all he's done thus far is not f**k up.

Big whoop. The Browns are getting interesting because of an opportunistic defense and Peyton Hillis. Colt McCoy wasn't playing when the Browns almost beat the Ravens, and he was playing when the Browns got crushed by us.

The difference in our game was our offense didn't provide the Browns the opportunities and we shut down the Browns running game.

I hate how you don't realize you almost described Ben's rookie season to the "T". :doh:

sharkweek
11-13-2010, 05:16 AM
I hate how you don't realize you almost described Ben's rookie season to the "T". :doh:

Except the Steelers were 7-1 at the same point, not 3-5, and in the case of both, the success of those teams was almost strictly because of the defense and running game. What am I not realizing? Was Ben being praised as the reason for the team being 7-1?

mikegrimey
11-13-2010, 11:00 AM

Well it remains to be seen if Colt McCoy will have a rookie season like Ben's but I don't think it's completely fair to label Ben completely as a game manager his rookie year. For the most part he was but he did helm a couple of big comebacks early in the year (I'm thinking of the Jacksonville game and Dallas game) that showed he had more in him than a lot of people who weren't watching gave him credit for (as noted by the assinine commentators talking about how letting Ben throw more than 20 passes a game was dangerous or something, acting like he was trent dilfer).

MikeHaullace
11-13-2010, 01:08 PM
but I don't think it's completely fair to label Ben completely as a game manager his rookie year. For the most part he was

Make up your mind.

joeyssteelcurtain
11-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Well it remains to be seen if Colt McCoy will have a rookie season like Ben's but I don't think it's completely fair to label Ben completely as a game manager his rookie year. For the most part he was but he did helm a couple of big comebacks early in the year (I'm thinking of the Jacksonville game and Dallas game) that showed he had more in him than a lot of people who weren't watching gave him credit for (as noted by the assinine commentators talking about how letting Ben throw more than 20 passes a game was dangerous or something, acting like he was trent dilfer).

Ben did not loose a game untill the playoffs he went 13-0

mikegrimey
11-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Make up your mind.

You will have to be more specific with what you mean.

I am saying Ben spent a good deal of his rookie year game managing but showed flashes of brilliance to prove that wasn't all he was.

You object or see indecisiveness in this?

mikegrimey
11-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Ben did not loose a game untill the playoffs he went 13-0

That's an interesting and true statistic but it doesn't relate to what I am saying. Alls the W L categories is show whether or not the steelers won the game, not how or why they won it. Ben had an incredible rookie year, but it would be unfair to not point out that he spent plenty of time game managing.

Fire Haley
11-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Nothing is for certain

Steelers still control their own destiny right now - beat NE, Balt and the Jets and the other AFC teams will knock each other out.

The top teams in the AFC as of now...

PIT 6-2
NYJ 6-2
NE 6-2

BAL 6-3
TEN 5-3
IND 5-3
KC 5-3

Week 10:
NE @ PIT

Week 11:
IND @ NE

Week 13:
PIT @ BAL
NYJ @ NE

Week 14:
IND @ TEN

Week 15:
NYJ @ PIT

Week 16:
TEN @ KC

Week 17:
TEN @ IND

BAL's last 3 games are Saints, @Cleveland and Cincy - they could easliy lose 2 out 3.

NYC_Steeler
11-15-2010, 07:04 AM
After last night's disaster, I decided to revisit this thread and have reconsidered what I originally posted. The Steelers in their present form have no chance of winning the AFCN - they are not a championship-caliber team. The Patriots exposed, embarrassed, and humliated the Steelers on national TV (Saints game, anyone?). This team is God-awful. Lebeau appears to be clueless and continues to do the same thing over and over again - no serious pressure on Brady, and you wind up giving him time to pick you apart.

As I've stated in my previous posts, and what other forum members have also stated - William Gay SUCKS, I mean REALLY REALLY SUCKS. Jonathan Scott and Trai Essex are not far behind either - the O-lin stinks. It was a serious ass-kicking by Belichick and Co. - they knew exactly what had to be done and went out and did it. By the time we were able to do anything, it was too late. Face it folks, we got beat by the Saints - the "experts" here said not to worry, we were bound to have our one bad game, we would move on and take care of business. So what the heck happened last night - is that just another bad game and we move on? Face it, we can't beat superior teams - we're not in their class, period. It would take a miracle for the Steelers to make it tot he playoffs and advance.

Like I said before, we still have the Ravens and Jets to worry about - as well as a resurgent and hungry Browns teams. We slipped by the Bengals - may not be so lucky next time. What a revolting development. Sickening, absolutely sickening.