PDA

View Full Version : Front Office admits bad calls AGAIN!

DoubleYoi
11-12-2010, 10:33 AM
NFL says officials made 2 wrong calls against Steelers
Friday, November 12, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers have been informed by the National Football League that two penalties that almost cost them in Monday night's victory in Cincinnati should not have been called, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Coach Mike Tomlin sent a complaint to the league office earlier this week, challenging the roughing-the-passer penalty on nose tackle Casey Hampton and a pass interference penalty against cornerback Ike Taylor on back-to-back plays that allowed the Bengals to move to the Steelers 1 in the fourth quarter.

Two plays later, the Bengals scored on a 1-yard run by Cedric Benson to cut the Steelers lead to 27-21.

After Jeff Reed missed a 46-yard field goal that would have given the Steelers a nine-point lead, the Bengals drove to the Steelers 12 and had a chance to win the game until a fourth-down pass to rookie receiver Jordan Shipley was broken up by Taylor and linebacker James Harrison with 34 seconds remaining.

The league informed the Steelers the penalty against Hampton should not have been called because he hit quarterback Carson Palmer on the thigh, not below the knee or to the head, after an incomplete pass.

On the next play from the Steelers 21, Taylor was penalized for pass interference against Terrell Owens, a call that was made by the official in the back of the end zone, not the side judge who was right in front of the play on the left sideline. The league told the Steelers no penalty should have been called.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10316/1102790-100.stm#ixzz155QtSMkk

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10316/1102790-100.stm

joeyssteelcurtain
11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Is it just me or do we get a lot of letters like that

lionslicer
11-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I wonder if Raven fans will read about this... But they probably wont believe it lol....

Kudos to Tomlin for writing to the league's offices.

SteelCityMom
11-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Pfffft....that's because the refs and the league are always getting paid off to win games for the Steelers. :rolleyes:

silver & black
11-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Is it just me or do we get a lot of letters like that

Probably not as many as we get.

Atlanta Dan
11-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Of course if the Steelers would have lost the game this would be no consolation - the Hampton flag is yet another example of a ref throwing a flag anytime the QB gets hit

bigchuck
11-12-2010, 11:24 AM
who cares bad calls are part of the game. they all even out at the end

stb_steeler
11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Both of those calls were BS.....TO cried until he got a flag, no way that was interference on Ike.

TRH
11-12-2010, 02:41 PM
the ref on the Ike Taylor/T.O. play should be ashamed of himself.

If you're not "man" enough to make the right call and stand by it and you're that easily influenced by T. Owens gyrating and shaking like some ghetto hood that you have to "then" throw a flag, then take your dress off and turn in your resignation.
I saw that complete thing unfold as it happened and couldn't believe it.

BengalDestroyer
11-12-2010, 05:12 PM
for all those wrong calls the officials made, they missed two holding calls on the bungles...at least!

mikegrimey
11-13-2010, 07:26 AM
for all those wrong calls the officials made, they missed two holding calls on the bungles...at least!

Actually I think they called a couple of ticky tack holding calls on the Bengals. There was one where James Harrison essentially ran himself into the ground trying to use leverage to get around the LT and the LT got called because of it.

MikeHaullace
11-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Both of those calls were BS.....TO cried until he got a flag, no way that was interference on Ike.

If not interference, definitely holding.

Perhaps you didn't see the play. I personally had to watch the replay a couple times before seeing Ike grab T.O. by the top of his pants and pull him towards him right as they're crossing the goal line.

"B.S.!", you say? Fast Forward to 4:18 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81bf9dcc/Steelers-vs-Bengals-highlights)

Either way, it was an apparent penalty by Ike. There's no way around it.

T.O. "was crying" because he had a completely legitimate gripe. Watch his hand motion towards his lower back immediately when he starts going back to the ref at the goal line to state his case.

The league told the Steelers no penalty should have been called.

This takes away even MORE credibility from the league.

I'm a Steelers fan through-and-through, but I'm also objective and THAT, my brethren, was at the LEAST a hold.

markymarc
11-13-2010, 05:49 PM
I"B.S.!", you say? Fast Forward to 4:18 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81bf9dcc/Steelers-vs-Bengals-highlights)

I couldn't disagree more. To me that is hand checking all the way. I did not see Taylor grab or hold T.O. at all. By the way, wide receivers and corner backs hand fight all the time and most of the time it doesn't get called.

The ONLY reason it was called is because T.O. threw a hissy fit. If you notice the back judge who was lined up at the field goal post only went to his pocket once T.O. got all excited. Sorry, but that back judge was not in position to make that call. And yes it was the wrong call.

I am just curious how you figure they got it right, when the NFL office even came out and said it was a bad call.

MattsMe
11-13-2010, 07:24 PM
I wonder if the league would have admitted this if the Steelers lost?

MikeHaullace
11-13-2010, 11:14 PM
I did not see Taylor grab or hold T.O. at all.

Funny because I couldn't disagree with you more.

You do not see it because you don't want to see it.

It is blatant. How can you *not* see it?

Why does T.O. slow down and Ike catches up two whole steps in one?

Because Ike is holding on to T.O.'s pants with his left hand, pulling him. That's why. Go watch it without being a homer for a minute.

I'm sure the Steelers can do no wrong in your eyes. Sorry dude. The tape doesn't lie. Ike pulls on T.O., preventing him from making the catch.

MikeHaullace
11-14-2010, 02:42 AM
I just want to bump this because frankly, I want to know what everyone else thinks about this.

Do you see a hold on T.O's pants or hand-checking?

Am I just blind?

Steeler4life1972
11-14-2010, 02:53 AM
For all the assholes who say the refs give us games its 2-1 bad calls against us constantly thus we have play through and still have 6 rings!!!!!!!!!

SteeleReign
11-14-2010, 08:39 AM
I did not & still do not see a penalty on Ike. If you are using this video highlight clip to prove it then you have failed. There is no apparent penalty on this play.

finesward
11-14-2010, 09:04 AM
I just want to bump this because frankly, I want to know what everyone else thinks about this.

Am I just blind?

Yes, you are blind. Or you are looking for a hold or PI and that's what you see. I see Ike and t.o hand checking, then t.o slow down as he waits for the ball in which time ike makes up ground and breaks up the pass. the hissy fit is what drew the flag, not the hand checking.

sorry, your wrong on this one

lionslicer
11-14-2010, 09:40 AM
I wonder if the league would have admitted this if the Steelers lost?

Depends, sometimes they do if the team loses, depends on the team really... Like the Lions, they wouldn't say anything, but the Cowboys, they would.

I know the Hampton call was a terrible call, he was obviously falling, you can't stop yourself from falling when you're blocked down.

The PI call could go either way, the reason no one wants it called is because a ref on the other side of the field called it after TO had a fit about it. The front office was right that it shouldn't have been called due to the ref right in front of where it happened didn't call it. Any other ref on the field really has no right to throw the flag.

stb_steeler
11-14-2010, 10:38 AM
If not interference, definitely holding.

Perhaps you didn't see the play. I personally had to watch the replay a couple times before seeing Ike grab T.O. by the top of his pants and pull him towards him right as they're crossing the goal line.

"B.S.!", you say? Fast Forward to 4:18 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81bf9dcc/Steelers-vs-Bengals-highlights)

Either way, it was an apparent penalty by Ike. There's no way around it.

T.O. "was crying" because he had a completely legitimate gripe. Watch his hand motion towards his lower back immediately when he starts going back to the ref at the goal line to state his case.

This takes away even MORE credibility from the league.

I'm a Steelers fan through-and-through, but I'm also objective and THAT, my brethren, was at the LEAST a hold.

You might be thinkin of another play...I know what i saw!

MikeHaullace
11-14-2010, 11:03 AM
You might be thinkin of another play...I know what i saw!

How can I be thinking of another play when I linked directly to the play in question?

jev7452
11-14-2010, 11:05 AM
who cares bad calls are part of the game. they all even out at the end

Amen

mikegrimey
11-14-2010, 11:54 AM

Am I just blind?

I just watched the video man and I didn't see anything, I watched it two times and couldn't see Ike pulling on TO's pants.

And I'm definitely not some homer that thinks the league has a boner out to bone the Steelers. Looks to me that was a bad call though, and the league office agrees.

MikeHaullace
11-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I just watched the video man and I didn't see anything, I watched it two times and couldn't see Ike pulling on TO's pants.

And I'm definitely not some homer that thinks the league has a boner out to bone the Steelers. Looks to me that was a bad call though, and the league office agrees.

It's funny because I don't see anything *but* Ike pulling on T.O.'s pants.

I guess this is a testament to how tough a job officials have in real-time, much less with instant replay.

At the end of the day, I can agree to disagree. =)

markymarc
11-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Funny because I couldn't disagree with you more.

You do not see it because you don't want to see it.

It is blatant. How can you *not* see it?

Why does T.O. slow down and Ike catches up two whole steps in one?

Because Ike is holding on to T.O.'s pants with his left hand, pulling him. That's why. Go watch it without being a homer for a minute.

I'm sure the Steelers can do no wrong in your eyes. Sorry dude. The tape doesn't lie. Ike pulls on T.O., preventing him from making the catch.

Yea because the ones disagreeing with you don't know what the hell we are looking at. By the way, explain to me once again why the NFL office completely disagrees with you as well? Are you calling the NFL office homers and blind as well?

Ike was not holding T.O. and you don't have to agree with me. I know what I saw and you feel another way. So take it up with the NFL offices because they think you are wrong as well.

MikeHaullace
11-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Yea because the ones disagreeing with you don't know what the hell we are looking at. By the way, explain to me once again why the NFL office completely disagrees with you as well? Are you calling the NFL office homers and blind as well?

Ike was not holding T.O. and you don't have to agree with me. I know what I saw and you feel another way. So take it up with the NFL offices because they think you are wrong as well.

Such an aggressive tone, you got there, Bubba.

At the end of the day, I don't think you care about it any more than I do.

I see a hold. You don't.

As far as the league office goes, you have more trust in them than I do. I'm fine with that. So yes, I guess I am implying they are blind as well.

So I heard the Steelers have a game tonight... :popcorn:

TRH
11-14-2010, 06:35 PM
It's funny because I don't see anything *but* Ike pulling on T.O.'s pants.

I guess this is a testament to how tough a job officials have in real-time, much less with instant replay.

At the end of the day, I can agree to disagree. =)

Well, apparently, after i'm sure looking at the play dozen's of time, the league says not. If there was, NO way the league is going to publicly say a mistake was made. It would have to be clear...very clear...that there should have been no flag...for them to acknowledge mistake.
I've looked at it quite a few times and i'm just seeing very tight coverage. At worst, borderline. Certainly nothing a flag should be thrown for.
Again....T.O. gyrates like a fool and gets the official (who has no mind of his own), to throw the flag. T.O. doesn't gyrate, no flag. Really, pi** poor officiating.