PDA

View Full Version : bristol 500- who to watch/ who will win

tony hipchest
03-25-2006, 01:06 PM
bristol needs to be domed. sure we dont wanna see 160,000 people in the largest sporting stadium in the u.s. and possibly the world, die because of carbon monoxide poisonning but that wrinkel can be ironed out. 2 days of qualifying and 2 days of "snow delays". :dang: (so much for picking gordon and newman giving me 15 fantasy points for a front row start)

kurt bush and the blue duece seem like the perfect match here at bristol. his last victory here, 4th of for in a row, he held off none tother than rusty in the #2. this team is expecting a win and theyre in desperate need of a turn around to keep their hopes of making the playoffs alive.

while gordon will not have his 8th front row start in his last 9 visits here i will be looking for him to make a quick charge to the front.

jimmy johnson has never won here, and normally i wouldnt even mention him at this track but he has a reported virus so i will be looking for a michael jordanesque or tom brady like preformance as the wonderboy drives in the snowy weather with the sniffles.

tony stewart starts from the pole so i dont expect him to be dropping out of the top 5 too often.

matt kenseth has a killer car every weekend, in fact most roush drivers do. kenseth pretty much dominated the last race here.

my darkhorses to watch are j. mcmurray (see the #97 teams 4 recent victories in a row). jeff green, and k. schrader to have good runs. bobby labonte started well last week. maybe he gets a good finish this week. having just seen morning practice speeds my bold prediction is to expect a strong and maybe heated battle with gordon and bush (kurt) up front all day. and if you heard k.harvics comments on kurt yesterday, if he gets involved, watch out!

riggs, schrader, labonte, and green all in the top 10 of practice.... this is probably the week where alot of the hot rookies and 2nd year guys struggle.
but anyone can win at bristol. no makes or teams dominate this track and aerodynamics arent a factor. this track is all about the driver.

1. kurt bush
2. j. gordon
3. m. kenseth
4. t. stewart
5. g. biffle

but who to REALLY watch is in todays busch race. steven wallace (my driver of the future) makes his debut at his dads track. starting 3rd in the top flite #64, im sure he will be the fan favorite.

daleemnm
03-25-2006, 01:54 PM
I think this is the place Jr will get his first win of the season. He has always been good here and he's looking like his 2004 championship form this year.

SteelerzGirl
03-25-2006, 03:12 PM
jimmy johnson has never won here, and normally i wouldnt even mention him at this track but he has a reported virus so i will be looking for a michael jordanesque or tom brady like preformance as the wonderboy drives in the snowy weather with the sniffles.

tony stewart starts from the pole so i dont expect him to be dropping out of the top 5 too often.

Yea, I heard Jimmie has a virus, probably the flu. :frown: I think he needs me to comfort him and make him feel all better. But that's only if I can get that Chandra chickie away from him. Her hugs and kisses all over him when he gets to Victory Lane are getting on my last nerve. Just who the heck does she think she is...(lol)? (sigh)

I'm not too happy that Terrible Tony is on the pole due to lack of qualifying because of inclement weather, but thems the rules, I guess.

This race is so hard to predict, but I think it will be Matt Kenseth or Jeff Gordon who will take the checkered flag if they can get through the race w/o getting all banged up.

tony, you guys should hook up with Koopa here during tomorrow's race and start a thread or follow the race in this thread like you guys do for the Steelers games, so you can all explain to him what's happening during the race if he's watching it and wants to learn more about NASCAR. Just a suggestion. :smile:

tony hipchest
03-26-2006, 01:00 PM
its probably a lost cause. plus im not for pulling anyone away fron the WNBA *snicker*.
they need to keep as many fans as they can, before they fold. i bet more tickets are sold for a bristol race than a wnba team does for all the home games for an entire season- (no suprise, id rather watch curling or bocce, or even the international tournament of yard darts. lol)

a race thread would be cool but theres to much action at bristol to keep up or take your eyes off the tv. but if anyone is gonna check out a race this is it. like they say its like flying jets in a gymnasium.

SteelerDan43
03-26-2006, 01:33 PM
its probably a lost cause. plus im not for pulling anyone away fron the WNBA *snicker*.
they need to keep as many fans as they can, before they fold. i bet more tickets are sold for a bristol race than a wnba team does for all the home games for an entire season- (no suprise, id rather watch curling or bocce, or even the international tournament of yard darts. lol)

a race thread would be cool but theres to much action at bristol to keep up or take your eyes off the tv. but if anyone is gonna check out a race this is it. like they say its like flying jets in a gymnasium.

My Dad has gone every year since the early 90's Ive only been to Bristol once but it was amazing non the less. The one bus company in Pittsburgh has a full bus that goes down every year...

daleemnm
03-26-2006, 01:36 PM
If you go to a race, it'll be the best experience you've ever seen. Went to Daytona last July and it was awesome.

SteelerDan43
03-26-2006, 02:26 PM
That was quick for Jimmie....

SteelerDan43
03-26-2006, 02:46 PM
What the heck is goin on with these tires??

SteelerzGirl
03-26-2006, 03:05 PM
That was quick for Jimmie....

Yea, didn't take long did it? Poor Jimmie. :frown:

Well, I'm thinkin' that at least I won't have to watch Chandra's lips all over Jimmie today...(lol).

The problems with the tires today reminds me of last year's Pocono race. They're saying it's the rebar that's cutting them. :hunch:

Suitanim
03-26-2006, 03:13 PM
If you go to a race, it'll be the best experience you've ever seen. Went to Daytona last July and it was awesome.

I've been to the Bristol night race, and there simply are no words that can convey how awesome an experience it is...

Suitanim
03-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Jeff was wrong to boot Truex, but Truex was wrong to bang him afterward, and Tony finished that one.

For Kenseth, Jeff passed him clean, and Matt spun him. Even admitted as much. In the end, though, that jackassery cost Gordon 17 spots.

SEVENTEEN spots! Fifty five points.

That's huge, and it sucks.

tony hipchest
03-26-2006, 06:16 PM
rep pts. to all who picked the winner. (too bad i cant rep myself.) jeff gordon needs to be punched. him and harvick get the punk of the year awards. kenseth is a class act. went up to gordon to apologize. gordon acting like a tuff guy is the biggest joke in the world.

SteelerzGirl
03-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Jeff was wrong to boot Truex, but Truex was wrong to bang him afterward, and Tony finished that one.

For Kenseth, Jeff passed him clean, and Matt spun him. Even admitted as much. In the end, though, that jackassery cost Gordon 17 spots.

That's huge, and it sucks.

Yep, it sucks alright, but Jeff came out swinging at the end and I was happy to see that. I didn't think Jeff had it in him...(lol). :wink: Kenseth deserved it because it was his fault and, despite him saying he didn't mean to do it, I think he most certainly did. Kenseth looked kinda scared when Jeff pushed him. That's what he gets for taking Jimmie outta the points lead...tehehe. I was really hoping Jeff could have pulled out the win. Oh well, hopefully next week. :smile:

Kenseth shoulda taken out Dale Jarrett! Jarrett was the one who caused all of it because he wouldn't move out of the way.

tony, congrats to the #2 car, I guess...(lol). :wink:

tony hipchest
03-26-2006, 06:18 PM

That's huge, and it sucks.especially to my fantasy standings. having harvick on my shitl ist hurt me. gordons jackassery hurt me worse.

Suitanim
03-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Unless you had Truex, nothing Gordon did could have hurt you...and even then, anything Gordon did was exacerbated 50 times over by all the troubles Truex caused himself by trying to wreck Gordon.

As for picking winners, I had Busch...where's my rep points?

SteelerzGirl
03-26-2006, 07:06 PM
rep pts. to all who picked the winner. (too bad i cant rep myself.) jeff gordon needs to be punched. him and harvick get the punk of the year awards. kenseth is a class act. went up to gordon to apologize. gordon acting like a tuff guy is the biggest joke in the world.

Rep to tony for picking the winner because he can't rep himself...(lol)! :smile:

SteelerDan43
03-26-2006, 07:40 PM
I had the 1-2 but my other two drivers were Mears and Yeley, so it dont help to much...

daleemnm
03-26-2006, 08:33 PM

Jeff Gordon? A tough guy? LMAO. I'd like to see him do that to Stewart or Harvick and see the result. :sofunny:

tony hipchest
03-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Unless you had Truex, nothing Gordon did could have hurt you...and even then, anything Gordon did was exacerbated 50 times over by all the troubles Truex caused himself by trying to wreck Gordon.

As for picking winners, I had Busch...where's my rep points? gordon didnt win or even lead a lap therefore he hurt me. i picked him and newman basically for the qualifying bonus which was spoiled by the rain, or gordon wouldve accumulated about as many points as the race winner.

well even though the rep poiints are designated for those who make predictions in the "who to watch/who will win thread", i saw you did pick bush over gordon in the fantasy. lol. that had to have been hard to do. just as it was hard for me to pick gordon over bush in fantasy. good thing about the predictions thread is that there is no strategy involved, and you can call for 5 "a" drivers to finish 1-5 if thats who you think will win.

hopefully some of the other fine posters not involved in our fantasy league will take interest in the race thread and give their predictions. if someone picks the superfecta+1 i'll owe them rep x5. that should be incentive to get others involved. so far dieselman is the only one to pick the winner and the 2nd place finisher. i should get 3 out of the top 5 in their correct finishing position atleast once this year.

good call suit. thanks steelerzgirl and good pickin in fantasy. i was hoping youd stick with jimmie :cool:

picking between harvick and burton is killing me every time in my "b" grouping.

edit; good call steelerdan too. (ill have to check for rep X2. :)

BB2W
03-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Thats too bad what happened between Kenseth and Gordon... I don't think he did it on puropose or he would have gotten into him more. He barely touched him... but then again he may have had some road rage after Kurt Busch booted him out of first. I like to think of Kenseth as one of the "clean" drivers, but that didn't look so good.

In the end, they both looked like sissies. Gordon comes stomping over like he is gonna spear him and barely pushes him... then Kenseth nearly falls over and looks like he has a stroke from the shock or fear. Then they both wait for bigger men to get between them and they start jawing at eachother.

:sissies:

Suitanim
03-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Oh yeah, it's jokey as Hell to think of JG fighting...and, I know Kenseth is one of the cleanest drivers out there.

It's just Bristol, baby...

tony hipchest
03-27-2006, 12:13 PM
race recap: what? no congratulatory threads for kurt bush? although rusty woulda been able to pass kenseth with no contact, it was still great to see the #2 in victory lane. is there room for end zone type dances at the start finish line after a race? appearantly kurt bush thinks so. one thing i will give him is that he has shown the utmost respect for r. penske, miller lite, his teammate, his new crew and most importantly, the legend that is rusty wallace. staying with the team trend of naming a car after a victory, his ride yesterday was appropriately dubbed "rusty"

bristol needs to be domed. sure we dont wanna see 160,000 people in the largest sporting stadium in the u.s. and possibly the world, die because of carbon monoxide poisonning but that wrinkel can be ironed out. 2 days of qualifying and 2 days of "snow delays". :dang: (so much for picking gordon and newman giving me 15 fantasy points for a front row start)

kurt bush and the blue duece seem like the perfect match here at bristol. his last victory here, 4th of for in a row, he held off none other than rusty in the #2. this team is expecting a win and theyre in desperate need of a turn around to keep their hopes of making the playoffs alive.
kurt bush is now tied with jeff gordon for most wins at bristol among active drivers. i cant wait for the night race

while gordon will not have his 8th front row start in his last 9 visits here i will be looking for him to make a quick charge to the front.
while he never got out front gordon charged and was towards the front of the field for most of the day

jj proved to not be worth the mention. his problems started as soon as the race did with a flat tire. he then got into the wall and his day was essentially done. riding around in a piece of junk and attrition salvaged him a 30th place finish. i guess you actually have to win a few championships before you can have one of them super human jordanesque preformances while sick

steward dominated much of the day, leading the most laps. he lost the handle and faded after the last pit stop

matt kenseth has a killer car every weekend, in fact most roush drivers do. kenseth pretty much dominated the last race here.
kenseth stayed true to form and was the car to beat at the end. kudos to him for not bitching and whining after getting the crome horn treatment from a former teammate. kenseth was being honest when in post race interviews he said he wouldnt have bumped bush out of the way to get a win. he also was stand up about bumping gordon and immediately went to apologize even though i dont think he owed an apology to no one.

my darkhorses to watch are j. mcmurray (see the #97 teams 4 recent victories in a row). so much for kurts old ride being any help jeff green, (strong 15th place run amidst all the big dogs) and k. schrader(stayed up front with the leaders but could never get the lucky dog. bad luck relegated a strong driver and car to a 24th place finish) to have good runs. bobby labonte started well last week. maybe he gets a good finish this week. (5th place finish is great fot the 43 team. maybe labonte returns to his winning ways before too long). having just seen morning practice speeds my bold prediction is to expect a strong and maybe heated battle with gordon and bush (kurt) up front all day. and if you heard k.harvics comments on kurt yesterday, if he gets involved, watch out! the battles were heated, unfortunately for kenseth, he was the middleman between bush and gordon. harvick did try to get involved but had to settle for a 2nd place finish as he could never quite catch up to the leader

riggs, schrader, labonte, and green all in the top 10 of practice.... this is probably the week where alot of the hot rookies and 2nd year guys struggle.will someone please keep the 49 car off the track next week. that dude was spinning like a washing machine
but anyone can win at bristol. no makes or teams dominate this track and aerodynamics arent a factor. this track is all about the driver.

1. kurt bush 1st
2. j. gordon 21st-a sure top 5 was ruined bu a final lap spin. (not wreck like hed have you believe
3. m. kenseth 3rd- hey i just realised i accurately picked 2 finishes
4. t. stewart 12th stewart will cry the loudest if anyone does to him what he done to truex. good thing he is the on track racing cop
5. g. biffle 7th- perhaps the unsung story of the day. bad luck as the leader and a cut tire put him 3 laps down. he fought hard all day to get back into the top 10

but who to REALLY watch is in todays busch race. steven wallace (my driver of the future) makes his debut at his dads track. starting 3rd in the top flite #64, im sure he will be the fan favorite. in a show of force steven immediately got out front and then was quickly dumped as he slowed for the yellow flag. while he was junk after that he got valuable seat time and finished 33rd 10 laps down

next up- more beating and banging at martinsville:boxing: . heres for sunny days and no delays.

Suitanim
03-27-2006, 12:17 PM
I gotta roll with JG next week...he owns that track.

tony hipchest
03-27-2006, 12:26 PM
I gotta roll with JG next week...he owns that track. the smart and safe $$$ will be on the 24 car, assuming he doesnt get suspended like harvick or spencer (yeah right, like nascar would ever suspend the golden child :rolleyes: )

Suitanim
03-27-2006, 12:34 PM
You know, I forgot about this, but Gordon did sock Mike Bliss at the airport after a race last year...Bliss even had a shiner for the next race.

Maybe the little spindly Gordon is a Tae Kwon Do master or something?

clevestinks
03-27-2006, 03:45 PM
J gordon is 5 foor nothing, I`m surprised he doesnt get B slapped

SteelerzGirl
03-27-2006, 05:41 PM
is there room for end zone type dances at the start finish line after a race? appearantly kurt bush thinks so. one thing i will give him is that he has shown the utmost respect for r. penske, miller lite, his teammate, his new crew and most importantly, the legend that is rusty wallace. staying with the team trend of naming a car after a victory, his ride yesterday was appropriately dubbed "rusty"

Yea, that snow angel celebration was really manly. I'm sure Rusty is proud. :rolleyes:

I gotta roll with JG next week...he owns that track.

Hell yea, baby! And Jeff may just knock Kenseth off his pedestal. :bouncy: Either Jeff or Jimmie. I'd be happy w/either one in the points lead. :smile:

clevestinks
03-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Go JUNIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelerzGirl
03-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey Cleve... Junior did pretty well yesterday. :smile: But Jeff Gordon is a REBEL...(lol)! :smile:

clevestinks
03-27-2006, 06:58 PM
Come on Jeff Gordon, or me in a fight?????

I`d take Jeff only because he has tons of cash, so I would take a fall and sue! LOL

I`ll give you JJ, but I`m thinking JG is a twerp? Sorry

SteelerzGirl
03-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Come on Jeff Gordon, or me in a fight?????

I`d take Jeff only because he has tons of cash, so I would take a fall and sue! LOL

I`ll give you JJ, but I`m thinking JG is a twerp? Sorry

Well if you're gonna sue, make sure JG swings and hits first. You owe me $125 for that lil piece of advice. But maybe we can work out a deal...(lol). :smile:

I :heart: Jimmie! He's so dreamy! (sigh)

daleemnm
03-27-2006, 08:01 PM
You know, I forgot about this, but Gordon did sock Mike Bliss at the airport after a race last year...Bliss even had a shiner for the next race.

Maybe the little spindly Gordon is a Tae Kwon Do master or something?

Mike Bliss has a girly voice too.

I've been watching NASCAR for over a decade and I've never liked Gordon and i never will.

Suitanim
03-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Mike Bliss has a girly voice too.

I've been watching NASCAR for over a decade and I've never liked Gordon and i never will.

Thanks for sharing...but, then again, everybody hates a winner, and, had the old points system been in place in 2004, Jeff would now have 5 NASCAR Crowns. Even with the new points sytem, he'll probably at least have a shot at 7 to tie or 8 to lead all drivers ever, and that would be a remarkable achievement considering how compeitive the sport is now compared to back when Petty won his 7, and even compared to Earnhardt Sr's era.

The funny thing is, as a Gordon fan, I don't really hate any other drivers, and never have. Sure, a couple guys make me mad from time to time, but, for the most part, I like all the drivers...

daleemnm
03-27-2006, 10:35 PM
I see him getting 1 more and thats about it. NASCAR is getting more and more competitive every year.

clevestinks
03-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Well if you're gonna sue, make sure JG swings and hits first. You owe me $125 for that lil piece of advice. But maybe we can work out a deal...(lol). :smile:

I :heart: Jimmie! He's so dreamy! (sigh)
You name it?

SteelerzGirl
03-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Oooooh... Okay! Hmmmm... Let me think on it. I'll get back to ya...(lol).