PDA

View Full Version : Sepuvelda sucks, and so does Randle el!

zulater
11-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Unless Sepuvelda is nursing a leg injury we don't know about he sucks! Not just this week either, he's been awful for the last 3 games. But tonight he's taken it to new depths. Honest to God, he's making me miss Gardocki such is his suckiness.

and Randle El, catch the effing ball why don't you!?

Fire Arians
11-14-2010, 10:11 PM
sepulveda is average, but i remember how bad mitch berger was so i won't say he totally sucks.

randle el i regret liking his singing when it happened. he is garbage and contributes nothing to the team barring trick plays and special teams. and that's a generous assessment

zulater
11-14-2010, 10:13 PM
sepulveda is average, but i remember how bad mitch berger was so i won't say he totally sucks.

randle el i regret liking his singing when it happened. he is garbage and contributes nothing to the team barring trick plays and special teams. and that's a generous assessment

Sep's not been average tonight, he's been brutal.

tony hipchest
11-14-2010, 11:53 PM
what ever happened to the "aussi roll"?

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Sep's not been average tonight, he's been brutal.

How? ... He averaged over 40 yards a punt.. He really was never in position to put the Patriots in 20 except for the ball that bounced inside the 1 but took a bounce the wrong way. I watch a lot of football, and actually he's better than most punters.. trust me... Statistically he's the 2nd best punter in the league..

El is terrible, at some point in the game I saw him mocking himself talking to someone onthe sideline doing a fair catch sign.

But all the recievers are bad, everyone dropped atleast 1 catch.

TRH
11-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Sep, had all this promise a couple years ago, and we thought he would turn out to be one of the greatest punters in NFL history....
He's shown flashes of greatness, but largely has not lived up to the hype. That said, i don't think he's awful and still think he has some real potential. I'd like to see him pull himself from "average" to "great". I think he can do it.

now Reed on the other hand, thats brutal. He needs to be shown the door as soon as possible.

MattsMe
11-15-2010, 12:44 AM
How? ... He averaged over 40 yards a punt..

How is 38.8 >40? Do you ever read the things you post?

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 12:46 AM

It was 40 at one point in the game when I read the stats...Or Maybe I read the wrong punters stats... but 38,8 is still way above average..
He has a lot of hype so the fact that he's average makes him the worst punter ever. Have you ever watched games on sunday? I swear today I saw some punts that went about 20 yards from teams, like seriously the team is lucky to have Dan.

madtowndrunkard
11-15-2010, 12:47 AM

Off by a whole 3 feet and 2 inches

MattsMe
11-15-2010, 12:51 AM
It was 40 at one point in the game when I read the stats...Or Maybe I read the wrong punters stats... but 38,8 is still way above average..
He has a lot of hype so the fact that he's average makes him the worst punter ever. Have you ever watched games on sunday? I swear today I saw some punts that went about 20 yards from teams, like seriously the team is lucky to have Dan.

I have no problem with our punter.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 12:53 AM
I have no problem with our punter.

Well don't insult me.

StainlessStill
11-15-2010, 12:54 AM
We just got our f*cking ASS kicked all over the field from all phase's and then to the 2nd phase and we're ragging on our damn punter? Holy shit. We've hit rock bottom right here, right now. We better come out and crush Oakland bigtime or it'll be another slow and agonizing death of 6-2.

zulater
11-15-2010, 01:23 AM
How? ... He averaged over 40 yards a punt.. He really was never in position to put the Patriots in 20 except for the ball that bounced inside the 1 but took a bounce the wrong way. I watch a lot of football, and actually he's better than most punters.. trust me... Statistically he's the 2nd best punter in the league..

El is terrible, at some point in the game I saw him mocking himself talking to someone onthe sideline doing a fair catch sign.

But all the recievers are bad, everyone dropped atleast 1 catch.

He kicked a 53 yarder when he needed to kick a 40 some yarder,( net 35) when he had a full field to punt to, where a good punter would have given possession to our opponent inside their own 25 he gives them the ball at the 40. Every 'effing time!!

He's been bad for 3 straight games.Didn't matter tonight, but against the raiders it might. He needs to get his shit in order pronto or he can ride out of town on the same train as Jeff reed.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 01:26 AM
He kicked a 53 yarder when he needed to kick a 40 some yarder,( net 35) when he had a full field to punt to, where a good punter would have given possession to our opponent inside their own 25 he gives them the ball at the 40. Every 'effing time!!

He's been bad for 3 straight games.Didn't matter tonight, but against the raiders it might. He needs to get his shit in order pronto or he can ride out of town on the same train as Jeff reed.

We haven't had a kicker that kicked it out of bounds since like... I can't even remember. Gardoki had a great leg and he kicked the ball so fast he was never blocked, but he always kicked touchbacks. I think Dan has more kicks inside the 20 this year than any punter has had for the Steelers since the mid 90's. It isn't good, but idk if its the wind of the special teams coach or what. Steelers just have bad Mojo with punters.

But he's still better than like half the league.

And its rediculous that you want to like throw this kid out of town.. He's the punter on a team with a terrible kicker, a terrible offensive coordinator, a terrible offensive line, a terrible secondary, I can go on and on... Field position is important, but he has yet to do anything that would have cost the Steelers the game... Like from the Steelers 30 kick it out at the 50...

Fire Arians
11-15-2010, 01:29 AM
sepulveda is the least of our worries right now.

zulater
11-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Wouldn't it have been nice if we had used that 3rd round pick we wasted on Sep on a OT or CB who could play a little?

Dear Kevin colbert, please don't ever use a draft pick on a kicker again!

DanRooney
11-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Whoever is complaining about Sepulveda is an idiot.

It didn't matter where we gave New England the ball. They completely marched down the field at will.

MasterOfPuppets
11-15-2010, 06:36 AM
Wouldn't it have been nice if we had used that 3rd round pick we wasted on Sep on a OT or CB who could play a little?

Dear Kevin colbert, please don't ever use a draft pick on a kicker again!
actually it was a 4th and a 6th. they wasted the 3rd on spaeth.

zulater
11-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Whoever is complaining about Sepulveda is an idiot.

It didn't matter where we gave New England the ball. They completely marched down the field at will.

Tell you what asshole, last night it might not have mattered, but it damn well might next sunday, and the sunday after that, and so on.....

when you punt from your own 20-30 yard line you should have a reasonable expectation that your opponents ensuing possession will start inside their own 30 yard line occasionally. But that just aint happening there lately skippy, and it's not just not this past game, it's been at least the past 3 games that Sep hasn't maximized field position, and uh, that's sort of his job ya know? He needs to start punting better or one of these games that we can win in the weeks ahead will go in the loss column.

TRH
11-15-2010, 08:26 AM
We just got our f*cking ASS kicked all over the field from all phase's and then to the 2nd phase and we're ragging on our damn punter? Holy shit. We've hit rock bottom right here, right now. We better come out and crush Oakland bigtime or it'll be another slow and agonizing death of 6-2.

:sofunny:
Post of the month.....

MDSteel15
11-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Antwaan Randle El should be treated like a lame horse! Take him out back a put a bullet between the eyes because his career is finished.....

TRH
11-15-2010, 08:32 AM
the thing i noticed about Randall El is that he looks sloooooowwwww out there.

Like he's running with a piano on his back.

MDSteel15
11-15-2010, 08:33 AM
the thing i noticed about Randall El is that he looks sloooooowwwww out there.

Like he's running with a piano on his back.

That has nothing to do with the 50 dropped balls that he has....:mad:

zulater
11-15-2010, 08:37 AM
:sofunny:
Post of the month.....

Again Sep's shitty punting didn't matter last night, but he's been sub par 3 straight games, and if you don't think field position is going to matter in the games ahead ???? :doh::noidea:

TRH
11-15-2010, 08:41 AM
No, i agree, no question he's been performing sub-par. But i think he is one of the few on the team that could (and should) bounce back to form, no problem.
I just think we have many much larger problems.

drizze99
11-15-2010, 09:00 AM
sepulveda is the least of our worries right now.

AMEN to this post.... We have a lot more bigger issues to worry about

Curtain_of_Steel
11-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Perhaps Sepuveda can cover a TE, because Gay can't.

I'm not sure how a punter thread and him sucking enters into this game, lol Did he miss tackles? Drop 6 passes, toss an int? Not cover his guy? Call bad plays? Not run effectively?

tmacsteelerfan
11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Randle El is pathetic as a returner. My brother who's a Redskin fan absolutely despised Randle El in Washington, and I can see why now that he's back in Pittsburgh. He used to be a very valuable player on 3rd down but now he's a non factor in the game unless he's throwing a pass.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 11:32 AM
actually it was a 4th and a 6th. they wasted the 3rd on spaeth.

Wouldn't say that was a waste... He did win the award for best tightend.. Same award Miller, Dallas Clark, Kellen Winslow and pretty much every pro bowl tight end has won.
Arians doesn't know how to utilize 2 great tightends. Patriots have 3 good tighends and they killed us with 3 tightend sets.

TRH
11-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Wouldn't say that was a waste... Patriots have 3 good tighends and they killed us with 3 tightend sets.

and we didn't have a plan and response ready for that? LeBeau? Hello?

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 12:28 PM
and we didn't have a plan and response ready for that? LeBeau? Hello?

They didn't plan on Brady passing the ball a lot nor did they plan for the tightends. I think because against the browns, the passing game was bad and the tightend that destroyed the Steelers last night played terrible last week. They just didn't prepare from every angle, just poor coaching.

TRH
11-15-2010, 12:40 PM
They didn't plan on Brady passing the ball a lot nor did they plan for the tightends. I think because against the browns, the passing game was bad and the tightend that destroyed the Steelers last night played terrible last week. They just didn't prepare from every angle, just poor coaching.

exactly. Every sportswriter, newcaster, analyst, fan and anyone in-between said that Brady will throw 40, 50 times, maybe even more, maybe every play.
Looks as if the Steelers team was not let in on the joke.

stb_steeler
11-15-2010, 01:52 PM

The sad part of all of this, Brady beat us with no running game what so ever. Whats that say about Steeler defense. Lets expose Gay all night, he couldnt cover my grama with a wet blanket.

caplovestroyp43
11-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Sep's OK in my book. El's another story. Dam did we miss Hines last night! If he were in the game, I suspect it would have had a different outcome in the endzone.

ricksteelers55
11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah cut him and bring back Paul Ernster that will solve a lot of our problems

zulater
11-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah cut him and bring back Paul Ernster that will solve a lot of our problems

Nice strawman argument rick. :doh:

zulater
11-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Perhaps Sepuveda can cover a TE, because Gay can't.

I'm not sure how a punter thread and him sucking enters into this game, lol Did he miss tackles? Drop 6 passes, toss an int? Not cover his guy? Call bad plays? Not run effectively?

It's not about this game, it's about the game's ahead. You look at our remaining 7 games and I'll wager you that at least 5 of them will be decided by a single score. And in a one possession game, what often decides it is turnovers and field position. I'll leave it to you to figure where Sepuvelda figures into the equation.

:coffee:

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 02:41 PM
It's not about this game, it's about the game's ahead. You look at our remaining 7 games and I'll wager you that at least 5 of them will be decided by a single score. And in a one possession game, what often decides it is turnovers and field position. I'll leave it to you to figure where Sepuvelda figures into the equation.

:coffee:

Wow there's no winning with you is there? I bet 1 average kick he has and the defense doesn't stop a score, you blame him, but the other team that has like 5 terrible punts but the offense can't capitolize on it, you don't say anything about their punter.

Its rediculous, he's a punter, he's important, but because he isn't perfect you ****ing let hang him out to dry like dirty laundry. Apparently if he was perfect the team would by 9-0 right now because the defense and offense can't do no wrong. The whole team has sucked the past 3 games, he's part of the team so he'll suck too, it happens

StainlessStill
11-15-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't know if it's a coincidence, but Alge Crumpler is apart of the New England Patriots roster. Anyone else think he had some kind of "game plan" to involve the tight ends when LeBeau and his systems failed to cover his fat ass in 2006 when he was with the Falcons? Hmmm

stiller39
11-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Work the rookie wide recievers in now. El Yeah ain't bid time no more. Without Ward and lack of PT for rookies we are week at WR.

zulater
11-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Wow there's no winning with you is there? I bet 1 average kick he has and the defense doesn't stop a score, you blame him, but the other team that has like 5 terrible punts but the offense can't capitolize on it, you don't say anything about their punter.

Why the hell would I? Stupid point.

]Its rediculous, he's a punter, he's important, but because he isn't perfect you ****ing let hang him out to dry like dirty laundry. Apparently if he was perfect the team would by 9-0 right now because the defense and offense can't do no wrong. The whole team has sucked the past 3 games, he's part of the team so he'll suck too, it happens

Wtf does "rediculous mean anyhow? :doh: And the reason I'm calling out the punter is because of the next 7 games probably at least 5 are going to evolve into one score games, games where field position can mean the difference between a win and a loss. If you're looking for a way to kill an hour look at our drive charts at our games and notice starting field position for scoring drives in our games, both for and against. Do this and you're bound to notice that when we start inside our own 25 we rarely score, when we start near the 40 or better we score at a much higher rate.The same goes for our opponents, check the starting field position of the Saints on their scoring drives in that game, and then come back here and tell me that Dan Sepuvelda's inability to punt the damn ball more than 40 yards when he's got a full field to punt to isn't potentially damaging?

And this thread doesn't absolve the offense or defense of anything, it's about one aspect of the game that needs to get better or it's going to cost us.

steelerfan5
11-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Never understood why we signed El. That was a waste. I have no problem with our punter. He may not be the greatest, but he's certainly not the weakest spot on the roster - not by a long hot.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Wtf does "rediculous mean anyhow? :doh: And the reason I'm calling out the punter is because of the next 7 games probably at least 5 are going to evolve into one score games, games where field position can mean the difference between a win and a loss. If you're looking for a way to kill an hour look at our drive charts at our games and notice starting field position for scoring drives in our games, both for and against. Do this and you're bound to notice that when we start inside our own 25 we rarely score, when we start near the 40 or better we score at a much higher rate.The same goes for our opponents, check the starting field position of the Saints on their scoring drives in that game, and then come back here and tell me that Dan Sepuvelda's inability to punt the damn ball more than 40 yards when he's got a full field to punt to isn't potentially damaging?

And this thread doesn't absolve the offense or defense of anything, it's about one aspect of the game that needs to get better or it's going to cost us.

The point is he's still above average probably top 10 in the league, but because he isn't top 5 he isn't good enough for you. The problem is you wanting him to be perfect when there isn't a perfect punter in the game except maybe Lechler and another guy, but thats it, no other punter in the league is up to your standards. You just want him to lose a game for the Steelers so you can say you were right. But whether the ball is inside the 5 or on the 20 the defense can't let the other team drive 80+ yards to get a touchdown. If they can't stop them from the 20 what makes you think inside the 10 will be any easier? Especially with this prevent/fail against the pass defense.

And just so you know on those punts that aren't over 40 yards they have a hang time of like 5 seconds, usually the special teams coach calls the play as either a high punt or a long low punt. Low punts typically have big returns. If the special teams unit can't get down there on a high punt, it's their fault not the punters.

zulater
11-15-2010, 09:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/puntsInside20

Notice where Sepuvelda stands on punts inside the the 20, way down the list tied for 23rd. Now look at touchbacks, tied for second most aka second worst with 6. That's what seperates the men from the boys when it comes to punters, and Dan is below average so far this year.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 09:33 PM

Notice where Sepuvelda stands on punts inside the the 20, way down the list tied for 23rd. Now look at touchbacks, tied for second most aka second worst with 6. That's what seperates the men from the boys when it comes to punters, and Dan is below average so far this year.

He's in the top 10 for like every other stat except those 2... Like i said in another post there has never been a top 10, not even top 20 punter when it comes to inside the 20 and touchbacks. Gardocki was a great punter before he came here, he turned into mr touchback, its the Steelers, they ruin punters, but Dan is still a top punter whether you want to believe it or not.

And its cool of you to just dismiss the defenses is play when the ball is insside the 20 anyways... Yeah... They seem to actually play better when the team has good field position, but when the ball is 20 or farther back teams drive down and get points. But no its the punters fault.

He's also top 5 in fair catches proving my point about his hang time and how its the special teams coach's fault. Plus he isn't a typical punter, when he kicks the balls spin backwards, so kicking it straight towards the endzone, the ball should bounce back if it lands on the 1 or so, he just has been 1 or 2 yards off when doing this.

Also compared to Lechler's stats, the greatest punter in the history of the league, he's only like 2 or 3 yards off of everything else, and he's only 3 touchbacks behind him and has 3 more touchbacks than lechler. And they both have punted the ball 42 times.
Lechler actually has 7 less fair catches and 9 more returns.

ricardisimo
11-15-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty sure he's having his best year, statistically. Of all of the players on the team to hold a grudge against, I'm thinking Sepulveda should be way low down on everyone's list.

Randle El seems to do just enough week-in and week-out to merit a spot (so long as he's not our punt returner, where he's not even useless.)

zulater
11-15-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm pretty sure he's having his best year, statistically. Of all of the players on the team to hold a grudge against, I'm thinking Sepulveda should be way low down on everyone's list.

Randle El seems to do just enough week-in and week-out to merit a spot (so long as he's not our punt returner, where he's not even useless.)

I don't hold a grudge against anyone, I just think he's been part of the problem the last 3 games. I think he can and needs to do better.

tube517
11-16-2010, 02:07 AM
We can always bring back Paul Ernster :rofl:

Acerinox
11-16-2010, 02:58 AM
Um... yeah... great use of stats on the internet everyone.

Sometimes I wonder if half the guys on here have ever been to Heinz Field. You do know there is a little wind through that stadium right? And if you have the ball in the air for a rather long time then there really isn't a great deal you can do about it? It's all right for Mike Scifres to land the damn thing on a sixpence in his DOME but when 1 yard is the difference between "perfect" and "failure" (according to Mr Zulater) then you might think that atmospheric conditions could be factored in.

What I mean to say is - Zulater lay the hell off Sepulveda. I think he's just fine and you can't find many supporters for your point of view in this thread.

rbryan
11-16-2010, 03:50 AM
I'm all for sticking to the company line but Sep is starting to look like the Tony Mandarich of punters.

El seems to be much better suited for throwing than catching at this point of his career. Did he get smaller??

zulater
11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Sepuvelda had a great game against the Raiders! Even on the touchback he put the ball in good position to be downed, it just took a funny bounce away from the gunner. I don't know what got into him? Maybe Reed getting cut sent Dan a message? Maybe the special teams coach asked him to reach deeper? Maybe going up against Shane Lechler brought out the best in him? Whatever it was, I hope it continues through the season.

Whodis
11-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Is it me or do most of his punts go in the end zone? We hardly ever pin a team deep.

tony hipchest
11-22-2010, 08:49 PM
again i bring this up...

dans specialty in college was that he was supposedly a master of the "aussi roll", a technique where you punt the ball and instead of it rolling into the endzone when it hits the 5 it bounces backwards, staying in the field of play.

he hasnt pulled off this much hyped manuver a single time in the nfl.

wtf happened? was it just a legend or myth concocted by an agent who would also sell that he could be a back up linebacker?

MikeHaullace
11-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Sepulveda, I'm completely cool with. I know what with him punting, there are 11 people on the field that will make a tackle. Jeff Reed needed a cape and a Spanish accent. ( Olé! ) ~40 is perfectly acceptable in terms of just over 1 yard difference, on average. Let's hope he doesn't blow out both hammies. We've seen that before.

ARE is WAS. Has been. Mediocre-if-best WR that should be playing QB in the Arena Football League (is that even still around?) Never liked the signing and want to see 5 wide All. The. Time. when behind : Wallace, Ward, Miller, Sanders, & Brown. Not sure it could be stopped with a "okay guys, this is the coverage they're showing, get open" mentality in a hurry-up, no huddle offense.

Maybe I play too much Madden and love the dink-and-dunk.

Fire Arians.

As you were.

ricardisimo
11-23-2010, 04:10 PM
His average punt is 45.8, which is 6th in the league, and certainly more than acceptable. He's kicked zero out-of-bounds, which is what is asked of him (I don't know why that's what's asked of him, but there you have it.) None of his punts have been returned for TDs, which is partly a credit to him.

We can move on to another topic. Like Arians.

MikeHaullace
11-23-2010, 05:20 PM

Really, you're just being greedy.

Let's be glad the Steelers' defense is better than that of most the league. It all cancels out to me. Let the teams with average-to-below-average defenses have the punter that kicks 50+ yards per punt and can down it inside the 10 80% of the time. They're giving up more yards on average anyway.

We can move on to another topic. Like Arians.

Fire Arians.

ricardisimo
11-24-2010, 12:28 AM
At the risk of giving this thread too much legitimacy, I just wanted to add that he's also second in the league in the number of punts being fair caught. Not bad.

tony hipchest
11-24-2010, 01:12 AM
not bad at all.

but in fairness to the legitimacy of this thread, why will nobody address the phantom "aussi roll"? :tap:

wtf is that all about, anyways? and why havent we seen it?

Jbxi9hxctk8

MattsMe
11-24-2010, 01:28 AM
not bad at all.

but in fairness to the legitimacy of this thread, why will nobody address the phantom "aussi roll"? :tap:

Is it anything like a dinner roll? Bankroll? Drum roll? Fat lady in spandex showing off her rolls?

I remember the hype, and I think it was all part of trying to justify drafting him.

ricardisimo
11-24-2010, 01:41 AM
I think this is the Aussie Roll:
http://images.travelpod.com/users/technotrekker/overland05.1138284000.06-roll.jpg
It has something to do with celebrating Australia Day while visiting Sweden (http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/technotrekker/overland05/1138284000/tpod.html). And drinking. A lot of drinking.

MikeHaullace
11-24-2010, 04:44 AM
After further review (watching the game in its entirety twice), anyone that claims Sepulveda sucks, clearly doesn't watch football. Or at least, didn't watch the game against the Raiders.

zulater
11-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Sepuvelda had a great game against the Raiders! Even on the touchback he put the ball in good position to be downed, it just took a funny bounce away from the gunner. I don't know what got into him? Maybe Reed getting cut sent Dan a message? Maybe the special teams coach asked him to reach deeper? Maybe going up against Shane Lechler brought out the best in him? Whatever it was, I hope it continues through the season.

After further review (watching the game in its entirety twice), anyone that claims Sepulveda sucks, clearly doesn't watch football. Or at least, didn't watch the game against the Raiders.

I think I've already said as much in regard to this past game. :coffee:

MikeHaullace
11-24-2010, 03:25 PM
I think I've already said as much in regard to this past game. :coffee:

Then perhaps my post wasn't intended for you. Derka Derka.