PDA

View Full Version : prepared??? Didn't seem like it....

TRH
11-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Question...

Has anyone ever seen a team as UN-prepared as this team was tonight??
You knew what they were coming with and what they were going to do. And they're doing it.
And we look like we have no idea whatsoever.
They looked "farm-league" caliber, like deer-in-headlights....
No fire, zero passion, looked unprepared.
It's truly mindbloggling. I don't think i've ever seen a team as unprepared for a game as i did tonight.

casteeler
11-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Pathetic, Offense defense and special teams

lionslicer
11-14-2010, 11:16 PM
This is a terribely coached team. Its like they took the entire week off.

ZoneBlitzer
11-14-2010, 11:26 PM
This is a terribely coached team. Its like they took the entire week off.

Agreed. I see no semblance of a game plan. I knew this result was coming. I could feel it. I could see it even more the second the offense took to the field to run a pedestrian series of plays for a predictable three and out.

steelbad@50
11-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Agreed. I see no semblance of a game plan. I knew this result was coming. I could feel it. I could see it even more the second the offense took to the field to run a pedestrian series of plays for a predictable three and out.

we have always been predictable to the patriots, dam shame.

TRH
11-14-2010, 11:51 PM
the Pats did exactly what i thought they would do all week.

The Steelers coaches didn't???? Didn't they even study film like Belicheck does?

I'm with Lionslicer above. I think they took the entire week off as vacation.

SteelCurtain
11-15-2010, 12:08 AM
They never look prepared. We lost to teams that the Browns demolished. I hated Tomilin being hired and I'm hating it even more now. They never have a good game plan. Where was the pass rush today? This team isn't super bowl caliber. Maybe we need to actually address our problems, like the offensive line and corners instead of drafting 3 linebackers and getting other team's rejects in free agency. We have serious problems and if you don't address it in the draft, then you address it in free agency. I guess we don't do either. Tomlin is a piss poor coach that won a ring off of the team that Cowher built. He is even more terrible for not realizing Arians is even more terrible then he is and that he should have been fired years ago. We have a much more talented team than the Browns, but why did they beat these teams that we have lost to? Because they have better coaches who actually prepare their team and that come up with a good game plan that plays to the strengths of the players they have. We obviously don't have that. If last year wasn't enough proof, then this year should pretty much spell it out.

Fire Arians
11-15-2010, 12:10 AM
we have always been predictable to the patriots, dam shame.

the patriots have been predictable against us too, how many times do we get beat by the same gameplan before we adjust?

Kanata-Steeler
11-15-2010, 12:12 AM
the Pats did exactly what i thought they would do all week.

The Steelers coaches didn't???? Didn't they even study film like Belicheck does?

I'm with Lionslicer above. I think they took the entire week off as vacation.

yep, no kidding ditto.
I hope Tomlin come's clean and admits the fact that the Coaches, especially himself, DID NOTHING all week to prepare for this. But knowing Tomlin he'll cover it all up with a bunch of bs, ...

BRADY coached his team better tonite than Tomlin has all year., and believe me, I hate that Shady Brady !

TRH
11-15-2010, 12:17 AM
i mean, you knew...that Brady was going to throw those 7, 8 yard passes on the inside and to the outside sideline all night. Everyone should have known that. I knew it.
Yet......
LeBeau plays everybody back. Way back. And Brady picked it apart like a surgeon.
So in recap...
They knew he was going to do this...(i mean i did, i'm assuming the coaching staff did as well)
Yet, unbelievably, they let him get away with it.
Fantastic.

madtowndrunkard
11-15-2010, 12:19 AM
the patriots have been predictable against us too, how many times do we get beat by the same gameplan before we adjust?

You know I think back to the past games that the Pats beat us and it wasn't like this. In the past we made crucial turnovers and back breaking ST's mistakes.

In this game we just got beat in every phase of the game. The only thing I see consistent from us this year is Arians laughable offense. We took on one of the worst run defenses in the league. We come out throwing and go 3 and out in 2 possessions. BAM down 10-0. Game over. The offense could have kept us in this game. The Pats did make mistakes in the 2nd quarter that a good offense should have taken advantage of.

Defensively the Pats were prepared for our blitzes. They had a dump off RB or TE on every play (imagine that Bruce!) They went after the most obvious mismatch (William Gay) They set up Gay to get him on their TE's and just schooled him. We were exposed tonight. I have faith Dick will right the ship....I have ZERO faith Arians will right the ship. Watch out NFL....here comes Bruce Arians high flying pass you to death offense. Expect 300+ yards from Ben every week now....along w/ 2-3 int's and 4-6 sacks. Tomlin being a defensive guy has no clue to manage an offensive game plan so he has NO ability to reign in Arians.

TRH
11-15-2010, 12:24 AM
the Pats were better prepared and executing the phases of the game, but the MAIN thing that hit me, and was very obvious, was that they (the Patriots) were fired up and had serious passion.
We did not. Looked like the walking dead out there...

Were they doing a casting call for Night of the Living Dead 6 and the Steelers were trying to get parts in the film??

ZoneBlitzer
11-15-2010, 12:24 AM
They never look prepared. We lost to teams that the Browns demolished. I hated Tomilin being hired and I'm hating it even more now. They never have a good game plan. Where was the pass rush today? This team isn't super bowl caliber. Maybe we need to actually address our problems, like the offensive line and corners instead of drafting 3 linebackers and getting other team's rejects in free agency. We have serious problems and if you don't address it in the draft, then you address it in free agency. I guess we don't do either. Tomlin is a piss poor coach that won a ring off of the team that Cowher built. He is even more terrible for not realizing Arians is even more terrible then he is and that he should have been fired years ago. We have a much more talented team than the Browns, but why did they beat these teams that we have lost to? Because they have better coaches who actually prepare their team and that come up with a good game plan that plays to the strengths of the players they have. We obviously don't have that. If last year wasn't enough proof, then this year should pretty much spell it out.

I have to agree. I have never really been convinced by Tomlin. And, honestly, I don't like the guy. I don't find him to be the genuine article and I'm really tired of his cliches. Tonight, was kind of the last straw for me. I have never seen a coach appear so disinterested on the sideline. He almost looked bored. And clearly did he have any answers? No. Whereas, on the other sideline, I saw veteran leadership in Brady and Belicheck as they barked instructions to their players. The Steelers meanwhile took the approach of entitlement. Instead of willpower to overcome their shortcomings, they chose to hope to evolve towards a win. The lack of emotion, heart and any semblance of leadership was shocking to see.

TRH
11-15-2010, 12:26 AM
I have to agree. I have never really been convinced by The lack of emotion, heart and any semblance of leadership was shocking to see.

absolutey true. Most of our players (and coaches), looked like they were in a coma out there.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 12:30 AM
I have to agree. I have never really been convinced by Tomlin. And, honestly, I don't like the guy. I don't find him to be the genuine article and I'm really tired of his cliches. Tonight, was kind of the last straw for me. I have never seen a coach appear so disinterested on the sideline. He almost looked bored. And clearly did he have any answers? No. Whereas, on the other sideline, I saw veteran leadership in Brady and Belicheck as they barked instructions to their players. The Steelers meanwhile took the approach of entitlement. Instead of willpower to overcome their shortcomings, they chose to hope to evolve towards a win. The lack of emotion, heart and any semblance of leadership was shocking to see.

The problem with Tomlin is he has no power or say. Arians and LeBeau control their parts of the team, and I think that's why Tomlin appears that way on the sidelines. Belichick owns his team from top to bottom right now. They officially have no DC or OC, just position coaches calling the plays.

Tomlin seems like he doesn't prepare that well though, he's more of a captain of a ship who expects his coaches to do what they are supposed to do while me makes sure nothing goes wrong and the ship doesn't sink. Essentially thats what Cowher did, but he motivated everyone to play their hearts out, and Tomlin did that but he just seems lackluster the past couple games.

I'd actually like to see Gruden on this team next year, he prepares more than any coach ever. If he was the offensive coordinator, he'd really help this team a lot. Tomlin will be here for years, like the 2 coaches before him, so lets hope he surrounds himself with good talent.

ZoneBlitzer
11-15-2010, 12:35 AM
The problem with Tomlin is he has no power or say. Arians and LeBeau control their parts of the team, and I think that's why Tomlin appears that way on the sidelines. Belichick owns his team from top to bottom right now. They officially have no DC or OC, just position coaches calling the plays.

Tomlin seems like he doesn't prepare that well though, he's more of a captain of a ship who expects his coaches to do what they are supposed to do while me makes sure nothing goes wrong and the ship doesn't sink. Essentially thats what Cowher did, but he motivated everyone to play their hearts out, and Tomlin did that but he just seems lackluster the past couple games.

I'd actually like to see Gruden on this team next year, he prepares more than any coach ever. If he was the offensive coordinator, he'd really help this team a lot. Tomlin will be here for years, like the 2 coaches before him, so lets hope he surrounds himself with good talent.

As much as I'd love to see Gruden, I don't think he'd leave for an OC position. I see what you mean with Tomlin as the captain of the ship. Tonight he looked like had too much seafood.

Fire Arians
11-15-2010, 12:37 AM
i don't think tomlin looks disinterested, to me it looks like a look of doubt or fear. i could swear it looks like he wants to ****in cry sometimes. that can't be rubbing off well on the players

tomlin is starting to get on my shit list as well mainly because he is the head coach but damn sure doesn't seem to assert himself as the leader of the ship. I've not once seen him override anything arians or lebeau are doing. As the HC this is your team, at least act like it.

TRH
11-15-2010, 12:40 AM
i'd love to see the Steelers fire Tomlin and hire Gruden. He'd be perfect in Pittsburgh.

Thats a moon-shot though. Never happen. The Rooney's love Tomlin and he still has a pretty good overrall record.
We would have to lose every remaining game like 50-0 for them to even consider it.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 12:41 AM
As much as I'd love to see Gruden, I don't think he'd leave for an OC position. I see what you mean with Tomlin as the captain of the ship. Tonight he looked like had too much seafood.

I was just using Gruden to emphasize Tomlin needing talented coaches around him. Arians better be gone soon, LeBeau will be retiring soon, if not this year, I don't know who will take that spot, the better 3-4 coaches are gone or on other teams, and the Steelers haven't played a 4-3 since 1981. So it will be interesting to see what happens.

Fire Arians
11-15-2010, 12:42 AM
collinsworth nailed it on the head saying this team ran on emotion whereas the pats are more cerebral in their approach. basically another way of saying we're poorly coached

maybe we need ward to act like he's gonna retire next year so the team plays like they did for jerome's sendoff

madtowndrunkard
11-15-2010, 12:42 AM
i'd love to see the Steelers fire Tomlin and hire Gruden. He'd be perfect in Pittsburgh.

Thats a moon-shot though. Never happen. The Rooney's love Tomlin and he still has a pretty good overrall record.
We would have to lose every remaining game like 50-0 for them to even consider it.

Gruden? yuck......I'd much rather see us hire Coach Cowher back. At least with Cowher you knew who ran this team. He knew and controlled every aspect of the coaching staff. I get the feeling Tomlin is more of a activities coordinator. Who every once in a while tells his OC to run a silly trick play

ZoneBlitzer
11-15-2010, 12:47 AM
I was just using Gruden to emphasize Tomlin needing talented coaches around him. Arians better be gone soon, LeBeau will be retiring soon, if not this year, I don't know who will take that spot, the better 3-4 coaches are gone or on other teams, and the Steelers haven't played a 4-3 since 1981. So it will be interesting to see what happens.

I can't see the Steelers firing Arians. Ben loves him. He is the media darling as well. The thing with Arians is that I think that he saves his best stuff for late in the year. I remember how stunned I was at the initial play-calling in his last Super Bowl. I thought to myself - where was this inventiveness during the year? But the telling issue has to be that in order for the offense to do any real damage, it has to rely on the improvisational skills of Ben. This has happened far too often in Arians-led games. It seems that eventually his gameplan goes out the window and its improv time to save his butt.

Fire Arians
11-15-2010, 01:00 AM
I can't see the Steelers firing Arians. Ben loves him. He is the media darling as well. The thing with Arians is that I think that he saves his best stuff for late in the year. I remember how stunned I was at the initial play-calling in his last Super Bowl. I thought to myself - where was this inventiveness during the year? But the telling issue has to be that in order for the offense to do any real damage, it has to rely on the improvisational skills of Ben. This has happened far too often in Arians-led games. It seems that eventually his gameplan goes out the window and its improv time to save his butt.

i think the part of the problem is that coaches and players shouldn't be buddy buddy. was noll or belichick anyone's golf buddy? the best coaches that ever lived generally had a professional line drawn in between them and their players

Kanata-Steeler
11-15-2010, 01:38 AM
-I hate brady, but there is a reason why Tom Brady is ranked as one of the top 25 Greatest NFL players of all time. ! (according to nfl....)
and where was Tomlin 2nite ?, -umm standing on the sidelines looking like a .... :(

The Steelers' Coaches' were obviously "un-prepared" for this.
This game was hyped up ALL week as the big-rivalry-event. This time, sry, but no excuses for you Mike. -either Tomlin can't control this, or he isn't given the control -somethin stinks here. :noidea:
-this game was outta reach after the 1st 10minutes and We didn't even "TRY" for gawd sakes. Atleast we could have tried instead of just nothing, and covering up with some useless stats.
I am still ticked-off over this game.
The Steelers are gonna need some "eye of the tiger" real soon.

Well, i'm now puttin' this one behind us for sure.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 01:41 AM
i think the part of the problem is that coaches and players shouldn't be buddy buddy. was noll or belichick anyone's golf buddy? the best coaches that ever lived generally had a professional line drawn in between them and their players

Maybe we should just kidnap Arians and wait until they hire a new OC to let him go.

SoCalFan
11-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Gruden? yuck......I'd much rather see us hire Coach Cowher back. At least with Cowher you knew who ran this team. He knew and controlled every aspect of the coaching staff. I get the feeling Tomlin is more of a activities coordinator. Who every once in a while tells his OC to run a silly trick play

We all need to forget Tomlin going anywhere,remember,he is only the second coach after Chuck.He will be here for another decade!

Fire Arians
11-15-2010, 01:49 AM
We all need to forget Tomlin going anywhere,remember,he is only the second coach after Chuck.He will be here for another decade!

he just is the type of HC that needs the right coordinators backing him up. if he doesn't can arians he ultimately becomes part of the problem

Steel_Bus_24
11-15-2010, 02:09 AM
No we weren't prepared at all

This is the same s**** that killed us last year......This F**** kind of attitude........."we'll go out there and run ur plays and everything will work out because we're the Steelers" "Our sh** doesn't stink"

They keep doing the same sh** over and over again hoping for a different result

It is unf*cking believable how bad we get out coached by the Pats........How many years of this now have we had to watch this garbage with them....

NewsFlash

Our zones don't work against them.......man the F*** up

We're not going to beat them by out throwing them......you pound the rock and keep Brady off the field

SteelMusic
11-15-2010, 02:16 AM

QFT...

That is all...

madtowndrunkard
11-15-2010, 02:18 AM
he just is the type of HC that needs the right coordinators backing him up. if he doesn't can arians he ultimately becomes part of the problem

It took Tomlin 3 years of failure to fire our ST's coach. I don't see Arians going until Tomlin goes.

SteelMusic
11-15-2010, 02:31 AM
You know...it chapped my ass to hear callers on the Fan all complaining about the the D. They can only hold up for so long. I left left the game after the int. Our Offense left our D out to dry. Get rid of Arians NOW; if not, than we need to look at the HC.

Fire Arians
11-15-2010, 02:40 AM
You know...it chapped my ass to hear callers on the Fan all complaining about the the D. They can only hold up for so long. I left left the game after the int. Our Offense left our D out to dry. Get rid of Arians NOW; if not, than we need to look at the HC.

sorry but the D shit the bed this game as well. They allowed TD's on the pats opening drive, and their first drive of the 3rd quarter. Inexcusable for a team that prides itself on defense if you ask me.

anyway i'm going to sleep, the more i think about this game the more pissed i get

SteelMusic
11-15-2010, 02:45 AM
sorry but the D shit the bed this game as well. They allowed TD's on the pats opening drive, and their first drive of the 3rd quarter. Inexcusable for a team that prides itself on defense if you ask me.

anyway i'm going to sleep, the more i think about this game the more pissed i get

F&c% pride. Get the job done. As an OC, if you know you have an aging defense, run the ball. But don't just run it to say we ran it; mix it up and get creative...something Arians never does.

ZoneBlitzer
11-15-2010, 02:59 AM
F&c% pride. Get the job done. As an OC, if you know you have an aging defense, run the ball. But don't just run it to say we ran it; mix it up and get creative...something Arians never does.

I know run on first down all the time. They'll never expect that.

SteelCurtain
11-15-2010, 05:52 AM
QFT...

That is all...

QFT?

BritishSteel
11-15-2010, 06:33 AM
I thought that we'd be better prepared than we ended up looking. It didn't take a genius to work out that the Pats were going to spread the field and throw 6-8 yard passes all over the place - what else could they do? They've no deep threat and they've no running game to speak of, so they've got no choice. Yet we still ended up sat too deep in the secondary and watched Gay flail around and being handed his ass by Brady. Not pretty.

For a team without a pass rush either, they did a decent job getting to Ben, that's as much about injuries as anything, I think, but they still stunk. And don't mention Reed to me - he's playing like he's already bound for the CFL. We got owned by a team who always seem to own us, and it's getting old.

We've gone from a team looking good for home field advantage to a team looking like it has personnel holes all over the place. Over-reaction? I guess we'll see next weekend, Oakland have hardly been our favourite opponents in the last few years, and they're coming off a bye week. We need to get at they a lot more effectively than we did last night, because 13-3 becomes 8-8 damned quick in this league if you're not prepared.

MasterOfPuppets
11-15-2010, 06:56 AM
I thought that we'd be better prepared than we ended up looking. It didn't take a genius to work out that the Pats were going to spread the field and throw 6-8 yard passes all over the place - what else could they do? They've no deep threat and they've no running game to speak of, so they've got no choice. Yet we still ended up sat too deep in the secondary and watched Gay flail around and being handed his ass by Brady. Not pretty.

rodney harrison even said in pregame, that the way to beat the pats is to play man to man press coverage. the thing that REALLY pisses me off, is although brady already lit em for 200 by the half , with the dink and dunk shit all the way to the endzone , the steelers still gave it to them after the half...:doh:

NYC_Steeler
11-15-2010, 07:16 AM
The Steelers are an average team that can't beat superior teams, period. The Saints, the Pats, and we've got the Ravens, Jets, and an up and coming hungry team in the Browns - and the Bengals looking for revenge. The future does not look good for this team. SBXLV? Don't think so.

SH-Rock
11-15-2010, 07:21 AM
The Steelers are an average team that can't beat superior teams, period. The Saints, the Pats, and we've got the Ravens, Jets, and an up and coming hungry team in the Browns - and the Bengals looking for revenge. The future does not look good for this team. SBXLV? Don't think so.

Forgot the Raiders

plenewken
11-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Losing to the Pats wasn't a surprise to me. As usual, they outplayed and outcoached us, period.
I'm very worried about the 2nd half of the season. Is this gonna be another collapse after starting 6-2? Will we rebound against the Raiders? The Raiders have also a tendency to beat us pretty much every time we face them ..........

BritishSteel
11-15-2010, 07:48 AM
rodney harrison even said in pregame, that the way to beat the pats is to play man to man press coverage. the thing that REALLY pisses me off, is although brady already lit em for 200 by the half , with the dink and dunk shit all the way to the endzone , the steelers still gave it to them after the half...:doh:

Yeah, that made me put my head in my hands. Even amoeba can change their behaviour based on experience and their environment, yet in the Third quarter, there we were, giving Brady, his TE and his slot receiver ten yards behind the line to do what they liked with. It was obvious before the game that's where they'd make plays, and it was blindingly obvious after the first half, but we didn't seem to adjust.

drizze99
11-15-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm not a smart guy but I could tell you before the game even started what the Patriots game plan was going to be.... Spread'em and chuck the ball all over the field. We get 3 nationally televised games in a row and we go 1-2 and almost 0-3 to teams we should have beaten SOUNDLY.

Is someone going to tell me that the Browns have more talent than the Steelers? Really? The Browns CRUSHED the Saints and the Patirots and we looked like a bad college team with no definitive game plan in place to ensure victory.

Why was Mendenhall barely used? He averaged 4.5+ yds/carry last night but only got the ball 11 times. Our O-line is horrible and even worse that a lot of the starters are now out. Pouncey is the only lineman we have thats worth a damn. He's not Webster or Dawson yet but that kids future is very bright. We need to build around him.

I am so frustrated that we always get out-coached by the Patriots especially when their game plan is not rocket science yet every time we face them they make us look like a bunch of chumps.

steelcity1974
11-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Leboe was a major disappointment in this one. He has a ton of talent on this D, and since the 4th quarter of the Ravens game, he has done nothing with it.

stiller39
11-15-2010, 01:29 PM
I thought Bill Cowher got out coached by Belicheat... Tomlin did to. Our coaches never make any adjustments at half time offensively or defensively. All the yards we got in the 4th quarter were a result of being pummeled the entire 3 quarters and the Pats taking their foot off the gas. Pats physically out played us on both sides of the ball. There is a recipe for beating the Stillers now which was evident by the Bungles come back and the Pats drubbing our seconday. No coverage and no pass rush. We miss you Smith, Kiesel, Starks and Colon. Gay is a target for any team now. Hope we can right the ship against Da Raiders.

fer522
11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
we were not prepared for the saints and now the pats? WTF:mad:
thats on the coach
did you guys see Belichick talking to his D the whole game
while Tomlin was doing nothing (my kid had the same looked on his face only problem my kid was only a few minutes old:banging: )
i think this is gonna get bad before it gets any better
Brady dropped back over 40 times with no sucks
i just wonder if we need to change DC coach Lebeau is a good man
but lately it seems to me that the other coaches know whats plays
hes gettin ready to dial up
and Arians he should be fired no doubt
I dont know maybe im just pissed off at our coaches right now:banging:
hopefully the raiders wont kick our ass next week:mad:

TRH
11-15-2010, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=drizze99;866764] We get 3 nationally televised games in a row and we go 1-2 and almost 0-3 to teams we should have beaten SOUNDLY.

Why was Mendenhall barely used? He averaged 4.5+ yds/carry last night but only got the ball 11 times.

1. yeah, i think there's 2 reasons why people are REALLY upset this time. One....we get beat (no OWNED), by the hated Pats, and look listless and like we didn't even care in the process. Hell, we looked comatose, almost dead.
And two....you're right. 3 games in a row on national television for the whole country to see and we got embarrassed ALL 3 games (yes, the victory over the Bengals was embarrassing too, we played like SH** and looked like sh**)
Its one thing to get beat. Its another altogether to be embarrassed and humiliated.

As for Mendenhall, i'm not sure why he was barely used. But that 4.5 yds/carry is misleading as his one run, what was it, like 35 yards? If you take that one run out, he averaged less than 1.5 yds/carry.