PDA

View Full Version : 4th round pick: WR Fred Gibson

BlitzburghRockCity
04-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Steelers go WR in 4th round.... Georgia's Fred Gibson.. 6'4" , has a huge upside, just needs to bulk up.

BB2W
04-24-2005, 11:44 AM
I love this pick.........C&C are doing great,IMO

clevestinks
12:42 to 12:42 I`M LEAVING FOR AWHILE SO YOU CAN HAVE THE FIFTH PICK LOL

BlitzburghRockCity
We need mike to make somebody a moderator so we can delete these duplicate threads. :cool:

:toofunny: Ok cleve, if ur back for the 6th pick, its urs.

Prosdo
04-24-2005, 11:46 AM
You people post so fast sheesh! lol Anyway I really like this pick. I think it was a smart choice. You all have fun I'll be back later. I'm sure I'll have tons of posts to come back to lol

BB2W
04-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Fred Gibson WR College: Georgia
Height: 6-4 Year: Sr
Weight: 180 40 Time: 4.50

Pros: A big wide receiver with incredible break away speed.

Cons: Gibson is inconsistent with his catching. He can make some amazing grabs and drop an easy pass.

Overall: Has good NFL potential, just needs to use softer hands.

BB2W
04-24-2005, 12:04 PM
He looks great in his Highlight film.........

Ironman
04-24-2005, 12:08 PM
I like him but I still would have gone RB. WR's hit the FA wire more often than quality RB's. I think we could just continue to pound the running game this year and look again at FA WR next year.

HinesWard4Life8682
04-24-2005, 12:27 PM
no no perfect fit, but now i see us going 1 more OL and a DL to finish off the draft

HinesWard4Life8682
04-24-2005, 12:31 PM
the bad thing is fred gibson was known as under achiever, but with veteran leader ship like ward, this guys gonna be a perfect fit, with the vertical leap and height of plax

BlitzburghRockCity
04-24-2005, 12:50 PM
YOu gotta think we'll go another OL, DL, and RB at some point w/ our last 3 picks. But we'll see. I think the feeling is at RB at this point, if bettis leaves after 2005, we'll bring back haynes to backup duce, and then draft a RB next draft

BB2W
04-24-2005, 02:06 PM
The following is a transcript of Fred Gibson's press conference with the Pittsburgh news media today:

Q: A lot of the draft previews had you going in maybe the late first round or early second round. Are you a little disappointed that you didn't go until the 4th round?

GIBSON: Things didn't go like I wanted them to go. But like my grandma always says, 'Things happen for a reason.' Right now, I'm just happy and honored that Pittsburgh put me in a great situation. Hines Ward went to Georgia and I've got a whole lot of more Georgia players up there also. I'm happy. I just can't wait to get to Pittsburgh and play football."

Q: Do you see yourself as possibly replacing Plaxico Burress?

GIBSON: I thought -- the whole time I had a feeling that Pittsburgh -- before the draft even happened, I had a feeling. I was like, 'I think Pittsburgh might pick me.' It happened. I didn't know where it was going to happen. But, you know what? I'm a happy man right now. I'm eager and I'm ready to play football in Pittsburgh.

Q: Will it bother you if prople start comparing you to Plaxico?

GIBSON: Well, Plaxico is a tall receiver. I'm a tall receiver. It's really not. I don't see it. Like I said, I can't wait until I get to Pittsburgh. I'm going to play football. It's not about what Plaxico did at Pittsburgh. It's about Fred Gibson. It's not about Plaxico right now. Like I said, I'm going to play pretty well.

Q: Have you gotten more consistent as you've gotten older, do you think?

GIBSON: I think so. I really didn't play football until my 11th grade year in high school. I got an opportunity to go to college on a football scholarship. That's when football basically started for me.

Q: How well do you know Hines [Ward]?

GIBSON: I know of Hines pretty well. I know I talked to Hines this whole entire process. This whole draft, I asked him and he told me no matter where you get drafted, it's all about what you do when you get there. Hines is a great player. He's one of the best receivers. He also played at Georgia. So I know he's going to look after me no matter what.

BB2W
04-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Gibson might replace Plax........

Gibson is a better athlete than Burress, he's faster, he jumps higher and he also played on Georgia's basketball team. Some analysts saw him being taken in the second or third round and the Steelers were thrilled to get him late in the fourth.

"It's like judging a beauty contest,'' Steelers receivers coach Bruce Arians said. "There are so many good players [in this draft] at this position.''

Arians lauded Gibson's Senior Bowl practices and his senior season, when he caught 49 passes for 801 yards playing on the same team as flanker Reggie Brown, drafted high in the third round by Philadelphia. Gibson played split end in college and that's where he will play for the Steelers, the same position as Burress, who signed as a free agent with the Giants this year.

"Same style, an outside receiver,'' Arians said. "He fits the bill there and hopefully replace the height we lost there.''

Prosdo
04-24-2005, 03:17 PM
I love the clips of this guy. He's tall and fast. He needs to bulk up a little bit. Also was mentioned he needs to learn how to protect the ball a little better.

clevestinks
04-24-2005, 04:00 PM
I Like it! 6`4" 180, ma n what a bean pole We better get him some steri, OOOOps forget it.

geran42o
04-24-2005, 05:40 PM
lets hope the fact that he is from Georgia, same as Ward, that he plays as well as Ward. I think that he has the potential. Come on let's get this season started.

atlsteelers
04-24-2005, 06:07 PM
as a georgia fan who has seen or listened every college game that fred gibson played in here is my take. before my take, i called the pick this morning when i saw that he had not been drafted
freddy is sometimes the most disappointing player to watch, he tends to drop HUGE passes in big games...aka plax in the afc champion game
he tends to disappear in big games...for example the auburn game last year. zero catches..
coach richt - has had to bench him in the past because of lack of on the field success
does not appear to go 100% on every play
Good blocker
Ok speed, although we are loaded with team speed at linebacker U, its the SEC, so it may make him look a little slow
some days you love him, always thinking that this is the season he breaks out - some days you hate him - never had a breakout season in a pass first offense
Good person, he is from waycross georgia, choose to play at uga over florida on signing day..
good pick - tons of upside - hopefully hines will take him under his wing and he will come into his own as a steeler - another dog moving up to the pro team - too bad the bengals got odel thurman i was really hoping he would fall to the steelers - i think pullock may be overmatched at the pro level - the best bulldog was thomas davis - it would have been a dream to him and troy playing strong and weak safety

clevestinks
04-24-2005, 08:10 PM
atlsteelers, your making me nervous, I hoping his hands aren`t a problem

atlsteelers
04-25-2005, 02:49 PM
He makes me nervouse too, but i hope he can turn the corner with the steelers, thats why we were able to draft in the 4th round
here is what the athens paper said before the draft

Since Reggie Brown and Fred Gibson were born in 1981, the number of Georgia wide receivers selected in the NFL draft can be counted on one hand: Lindsay Scott (first round, 1982), Andre Hastings (third round, 1993), Brice Hunter (seventh round, 1996) and Hines Ward (third round, 1998).

That should change this weekend when Brown and Gibson answer calls from NFL teams. The guys who combined for 305 receptions, 4,892 receiving yards and 32 touchdowns in their college careers are both likely to be selected on Day One of the draft on Saturday, when the first three rounds are completed.

"It's kind of nerve-wracking, not knowing what round you are going to go in," Gibson said. "The only thing I can say is I've done everything I was supposed to have done - the Senior Bowl, the combine and my pro day and workouts. I think I did a great job. The only thing I can do is sit back, watch TV and see where I go."

Todd McShay, draft analyst for Scouts, Inc., and ESPN.com, said he projects Brown to go early in the second round as the sixth wide receiver taken. Gibson should go late in the second round or early in the third, McShay said. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper projects Brown late second and Gibson late third.

"A lot of people have observed, it's a big receiver year," Ravens coach Brian Billick told reporters last week. "You could pick maybe in the second, third and even the fourth round and have somebody that can come in and be a viable part of your team."

Georgia coach Mark Richt said both the 6-foot-15/8, 195-pound Brown and the 6-4, 196-pound Gibson have what it takes to make it as pros, but will leave it to NFL decision-makers to determine which one would fit their team better.

"I think they're both very capable of being extremely productive in that league and that's what you're looking for, but it has got to be the right fit whether it's a personality, a style of play or body type," Richt said. "Those guys have to decide that."

A record seven wide receivers were taken in the first round last year and some believe Brown, who has improved his stock since the end of the season, could go as early as late in the first round.

"He's a nice player, but he's not a first-round talent. He's a top 50 talent," said Frank Coyle, who runs draftinsiders.com. "He's a very good athlete, but he doesn't blow you away with it either. He doesn't have imposing size or imposing speed, but he just does everything well."

Brown's stock shot up after a strong showing during Senior Bowl week when Gibson did not distinguish himself, McShay said.

"With both players there and you just watched, Brown just seemed more polished," he said. "He was more fluid. He's in that 4.4 range and you compare him to Gibson, who has two inches on him but is not much bigger. (Gibson's) slower, not as fluid and is more inconsistent. If you watch both of those players as seniors and as participants in the Senior Bowl, it was just easier to tell that Brown was a more complete player."

Brown suffered a torn ACL early in his Georgia career and was bothered by a hamstring injury during his junior season, helped his pro prospects by flourishing as a senior, leading Georgia with 53 catches for 860 yards to go along with six touchdowns.

"College, I guess, was pretty much an interview for the NFL," said Brown, who has worked out privately for New England and Miami.

"He's got very good size, and he's a very good athlete," Buffalo national scout Marc Ross said in a pre-draft news conference. "He's quick, he's fast, he's a physical guy. He might have to improve his hands a little bit to be a top, top receiver in the NFL, but he can make big plays."

Gibson set a school-record with five 100-yard receiving games as a freshman but was dogged the next couple of seasons with questions about his durability and toughness. He put together a strong senior season but did not dazzle in pre-draft workouts.

"He could be a boom or bust guy," Coyle said. "He's got some speed to get deep, make a big play and he'll also drop a key ball on you. That's the risk-reward."

after the draft

A long wait in Waycross finally ended for Fred Gibson on Sunday afternoon when Pittsburgh selected the former Georgia wide receiver in the fourth round of the NFL draft.

Gibson, a first-team All-SEC selection as a senior, had to sleep on the disappointment of not getting picked on the draft's first day. He was emotionally drained after spending Saturday at a draft party at a community center in his hometown with family and friends, who left without him being drafted.

"It hurt so bad just to see it happen," said Gibson, who finished his Georgia career with 161 catches for 2,884 yards. "Things happen for a reason. I don't know why it happened, but things just don't go like you want them to go sometimes. I'm just honored and happy that Pittsburgh did pick me. When I get up there, I'm going to show them that I'm ready to work and they're going to have a great player."

Seventeen wide receivers, a kicker and a punter were taken before Gibson was selected with the 131st overall pick. He was by himself in his room at the home where his grandmother raised him when he was selected.

"Life is full of surprises," Gibson said. "I guess I'll learn from this."

Pittsburgh used the 30th pick in the fourth round to draft Gibson, the last of six Bulldogs selected.

Five Bulldogs were taken on Saturday.

David Pollack, who was selected by Cincinnati in Saturday's first round, was being interviewed on ESPN from Bengals headquarters when Gibson was selected.

The upside for Gibson is he will join former Bulldog Hines Ward in Pittsburgh, giving the Steelers two of the Bulldogs' top five career reception leaders.

"I basically know he's going to be my mentor," Gibson said.

The 6-foot-4, 196-pound Gibson offers the Steelers a tall receiver to replace the departed Plaxico Burress. ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. questioned the move, saying Pittsburgh should have picked Clemson's Airese Currie.

"He definitely has talent," Kiper said of Gibson. "When you look at some injury problems as a junior and consistency at times during his career, he needs to put it all together."

Gibson said he spoke with Ward leading up to the draft about the process. Ward was the last pick of the third round in 1998 and blossomed into a Pro Bowler.

Gibson was more high-profile during his Georgia career than Bulldogs wideout Reggie Brown, but Brown went with the 35th pick overall by Philadelphia. Brown could be in line for a signing bonus of about $2.25 million based on figures reported last year at that slot compared to about $270,000 for Gibson.

The player that hooked up with both at Georgia, quarterback David Greene, was drafted by Seattle in the third round with the 85th pick on Saturday night.

Greene was the sixth quarterback selected in the draft and landed in what some believe will be a comfortable spot with the Seahawks. Seattle runs the West Coast offense, a system that relies on shorter pass routes.

"I'm fired up," Greene said. "More than anything, I think it's going to be a great fit. I wanted to go to a good team. I'm going to a team that has gone to the playoffs and it's got a good quarterback situation."

Greene, the NCAA I-A all-time quarterback leader with 42 victories, will compete with former Iowa State quarterback Seneca Wallace for the backup job behind Matt Hasselbeck.

Greene will work with quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn, a former Seattle standout who is a lefty like Greene. Greene will make his first trip to Seattle later this week for a minicamp.

Green's heard good things about the city, adding "There's no state income tax."

Notes: The Georgia-to-Cincinnati connection continues. Former Bulldog fullback Jeremy Thomas said Sunday night that he has agreed to sign with the Bengals as an undrafted free agent. Cincinnati drafted Pollack and linebacker Odell Thurman on Saturday. "That must be the new hot spot," Thomas said. "The Bengals jumped on me quick. I'm happy to have a shot." ... Georgia's six players drafted, which also included safety/linebacker Thomas Davis to Carolina in the first round, tied with Louisville and Stanford for fifth most this year of any school. Oklahoma had 11, Florida State nine and Virginia and Wisconsin seven each. ... Brown said in a conference call with media in Philadelphia that he's planning to make his presence felt right away. "I plan to come in and start. That is my goal."

clevestinks
04-30-2005, 06:55 AM
Does Fred have some character or attitude problems???

1) Sold his championship rings

2) He was quoted as saying: ''It's not about what Plaxico did at Pittsburgh -- it's about Fred Gibson,' said Gibson...anyone who speaks about themselves in the third person usually has ego issues. I have never met a normal person...that speaks about themselves in the third person.

3) Him going on about proving people wrong. The two most recent people who were lippy about proving the doubters wrong were Troy Edwards and Chris Hope...Shoot Hope went as far to say he was the best safety in the draft.

I actually read this somewhere else, but it seemed worth posting here.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2005, 09:19 AM
The steelers normally shy away from guys w/ character issues,and me first attitudes, so they obviously felt his past issues were just that, in the past.. or they wouldnt have drafted him. I trust they're judgement since we dont normally make mistakes in that dept. of the draft.

he does need to bulk up alittle bit though and jsut practice and learn the system and he could be an awesome pick up for us.. he's got the size!

BB2W
05-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Gibson will wear #11 next season. I like that number for WR's. Recently alot of players have picked it........ I hope he is more like Roy Williams than Kellen Winslow. :)

Avoid LLoyd1975
05-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Be like Roy Williams, that would be a god-send. I like the pick as well. You can never substitute attitude for results. Hopefully his character flaws go away and he focuses more on productivity. Especially because of his history of dropping balls.

clevestinks
05-05-2005, 02:23 PM
I like the lower numbered recievers #11 thats cool. If hines can teach his Georgia alum, to be half as good as himself then we have some hope.

JrRawlins
05-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Gibson has to get alittle stronger, and concentrate more... but he has the potential to be great.... hopefully he comes to camp and works hard.......

LuvSteelers4Ever
05-05-2005, 06:59 PM
does any one have any stats on him????

ironcitychef
05-05-2005, 11:01 PM
nobody wants #85?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Gibson has to get alittle stronger, and concentrate more... but he has the potential to be great.... hopefully he comes to camp and works hard.......

Yeah, that was the knock on him in the draft.. his lack of concentration of times causes him to miss run routes and drop balls. but ur w/ the big boys now fred, its time to go to work!

JrRawlins
05-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Yeah, that was the knock on him in the draft.. his lack of concentration of times causes him to miss run routes and drop balls. but ur w/ the big boys now fred, its time to go to work!

my feelings exactly, hopefully he comes to play and shows his ability..... they few Georgia games i saw last year, he played quite well.

BB2W
06-20-2005, 01:37 PM
FRED GIBSON ? PART 1

What was your first Steelers practice like for you when you came in for mini-camp?

It was overwhelming. You had so much stuff that you were thinking about. Basically the playbook, the first day I saw the playbook and tried to come out here and jump into the fire, my head was just spinning. Now I have a better understanding of the playbook.

How much do you think you will benefit from the team?s off-season program, getting a chance to learn things before training camp arrives?

It helps you a lot. It helps you understand. The whole playbook is schemed. If you don?t know the playbook, you aren?t going to play. You need the most coaching that is possible.

How have the veterans been with you so far? Do they welcome you and offer you advise? Has any one guy been particularly helpful and how so?

Antwaan Randle El and Hines Ward are great people. In mini-camp I was complaining to them telling them, I was like there is a lot in this playbook. They said to me to take my time, it?s going to come. Everybody understands. It?s like being a freshman all over again. Every little thing that comes up that I have to ask somebody something I go to El or to Hines and they tell me what I want to hear.

Is it good to have veterans like Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El to learn from?

It is great. I watch them running their routes. They run some great routes. It?s a whole new learning thing for me. I?m coming to the NFL. I was just in college. Looking at Hines and Randle El they have been here four and six years and that?s a long time. Why not look up to them. They are great leaders.

From what you are hearing, what do you think will be the biggest adjust to the NFL for you?

I really don?t know. I think just understanding the coverages. There are so many schemes with the defenses and different teams have different schemes. They throw so much stuff at you. You just have to feel comfortable and get adjusted to the NFL. You just have to keep an open mind and go out there and do what you do best and that?s play football.

It is good to hear Hines and El are such good leaders.....

SCacalaki
06-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Gibson should benefit from not being thrust into the starting lineup. He's got a few guys ahead of him who can teach him a thing or two. But I'm hoping Gibson can come in to the game now and then and add another dimension to our WRs with his height.

clevestinks
06-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Your right, and i hope those im front of him live up to there potential.El I `m not sure if he cut out for the starting job. He almost seem better as a slot, or a find the hole and get open guy. Wilson don`t really know much yet. And I would like to see Cobb in training camp.

Ironman
06-20-2005, 07:14 PM
I think Gibson is more the "jump-ball" type receiver to complement our new pass catching TE in goal-line situations. I think the threat of the fade to the corner will open it up for Heath and give the running game al ittle room in tight also.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Gibson vs cobb is gonna be very interesting.. The rookie out to prove he's worth more than a 4th round pick and the 2nd year man, who blew out his knee after looking special in camp last year out to prove he can contribute!

SCacalaki
06-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Both guys are interesting prospects. Cobb has had a season to sit and read over the playbook. Gibson, by his own admission, is awestruck by the size of the playbook. Gibson adds another dimension to our WR's. He needs to stay at least in the low 200's and not go above about 210lbs this season. Both can return on ST's. Should be an interesting competition between the two. Although I believe it won't come down to one or the other. Gibson is pretty close to a lock although he'll certainly have to earn his spot. I think Cobb will be fighting for the last WR spot with Morey and Mays.

hardwork
06-23-2005, 02:52 AM
The question is, can big ben read the playbook? We could get him a little help from reading rainbow.

clevestinks
06-23-2005, 03:47 AM
Hardwork, Take it to the BF. No trouble here!

hardwork
06-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Sorry, couldn't control myself.

figg
06-25-2005, 03:19 AM
Does Fred have some character or attitude problems???

1) Sold his championship rings

2) He was quoted as saying: ''It's not about what Plaxico did at Pittsburgh -- it's about Fred Gibson,' said Gibson...anyone who speaks about themselves in the third person usually has ego issues. I have never met a normal person...that speaks about themselves in the third person.

3) Him going on about proving people wrong. The two most recent people who were lippy about proving the doubters wrong were Troy Edwards and Chris Hope...Shoot Hope went as far to say he was the best safety in the draft.

I actually read this somewhere else, but it seemed worth posting here.

What do you mean? figg thinks it's fine to talk in 3rd person :D

STEEL-MAN
06-28-2005, 01:02 PM
from what I've read gibbson was a steal in the 4th, up side being hands, height and down field speed. Lets wait and see him in Black and Gold before failing him, I don't see an ego problem as stated, some poor judgement but he's a kid. Selling his ring wasn't an issue with ego and talking about Plex was more about just not wanting to be compared to him. Now if you want talk about an ego problem look know further then Hardwork's post...it will take more than a SB team to fix that!